PDA

View Full Version : Week 4: Cincinnati Bengals (MNF)

Edman
09-22-2019, 08:37 PM
Battle for the Basement on Monday Night Football at Heinz Field.

The only teeny tiny silver lining is that the Steelers have lost two non-conference games during this 0-3 start, and this is their first division game. The Texans reeled off six straight after 0-3 last season. Yeah, I'm banking on the Texans. That's how bad its gotten at this point.

I'm not really confident this team can even beat the Bengals at this point. The playoffs effectively begin now.

Fire Goodell
09-22-2019, 08:39 PM
Who fucking cares at this point, lol.

0-4, the Bengals at least look like they have some semblance of an offense. Outside of 2 lucky scores our offense was shit.

Shoes
09-22-2019, 08:43 PM
:lol: fighting for the best area in the bilge.

Steeldude
09-22-2019, 09:14 PM
The Steelers could win, but I doubt it.

Bengals: 24
Steelers: 13

Born2Steel
09-22-2019, 09:22 PM
I hope Hodges is ready go.

Fire Goodell
09-22-2019, 09:23 PM
I hope Hodges is ready go.

What's he gonna do with Fitchner calling the plays? lol.

Born2Steel
09-22-2019, 09:26 PM
What's he gonna do with Fitchner calling the plays? lol.

He's gonna shine.

Fire Goodell
09-22-2019, 09:28 PM
:chuckle:

st33lersguy
09-22-2019, 09:35 PM
This will be a fun game, two teams bad at football. Have to stay up for it too, good lord this game is gonna suck

86WARD
09-22-2019, 09:58 PM
Dalton, Eifert and Boyd. But the best part will be that the rag tag o-line the Bengals have will wind up blocking Mixon to 100 yard day.

30-17 Bengals.

Born2Steel
09-22-2019, 10:00 PM
Seriously guys??? Steelers win this one 6-3. More injuries than points.

Steeler-in-west
09-22-2019, 10:11 PM
This team will not lose at home to a poor bengals squad.

If they do it’s really season over

Edman
09-22-2019, 10:21 PM
With the Steelers being at home and having Mason’s “OMG first start” jitters out of the way, maybe they can work on a game plan to maximize his talent and make things easier for the offense?

Nah.

The boobirds will be out early and often if they see a single bubble screen.

CV1
09-22-2019, 10:21 PM
This team will not lose at home to a poor bengals squad.

If they do it’s really season over

Although we have wins of late against the Bungholes, they are the one team we always play down to.

We win by < 5 or lose by >11

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoes
09-22-2019, 10:28 PM
We win Ben will be there called the plays, Fich will be benched.

AtlantaDan
09-23-2019, 09:55 AM
We win Ben will be there called the plays, Fich will be benched.

It is a minor point but Ben not making the trip after posting last week that "I will do all I can to support Mason and the team this season to help win games" was surprising. Maybe an injured elbow prohibits air travel.

FWIW Brees was not in Seattle either

Brees' doctors advised him that getting on an airplane could possibly lead to "swelling and inflammation" that could slow down his rehabilitation.

https://www.nola.com/sports/saints/article_169e41d4-dd6c-11e9-9620-43e19aef5b26.html

EzraTank
09-23-2019, 10:56 AM
Not exactly the ratings jackpot I bet the NFL was hoping for when they scheduled this prime time game.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-23-2019, 11:21 AM
It is a minor point but Ben not making the trip after posting last week that "I will do all I can to support Mason and the team this season to help win games" was surprising. Maybe an injured elbow prohibits air travel.

FWIW Brees was not in Seattle either

Brees' doctors advised him that getting on an airplane could possibly lead to "swelling and inflammation" that could slow down his rehabilitation.

https://www.nola.com/sports/saints/article_169e41d4-dd6c-11e9-9620-43e19aef5b26.html

I wondered about that. Every time they showed Rudolph sitting on the bench with nobody coaching him up. I was thinking that it sure would be nice if he had a veteran QB to talk about what he was seeing out there, or at least a QB coach.

AtlantaDan
09-23-2019, 11:24 AM
Not exactly the ratings jackpot I bet the NFL was hoping for when they scheduled this prime time game.

Steelers also have a Sunday night Chargers (1-2) game that I do not think can be flexed and a number of national doubleheader games

AtlantaDan
09-23-2019, 11:33 AM
I wondered about that. Every time they showed Rudolph sitting on the bench with nobody coaching him up. I was thinking that it sure would be nice if he had a veteran QB to talk about what he was seeing out there, or at least a QB coach.

Team has been to a significant extent in denial about life after Ben - we know Ben would ignore a QB coach, but knowing that two young QBs were backups was the situation going into 2019 not certain why an OC as over his head as Fichtner was assumed to be capable of also being QB coach, assuming that job is more than getting coffee for Ben

Rudolph took it upon himself to get coached up in the offseason - an article this past June

Without the benefit of a dedicated quarterbacks coach like many of his peers around the NFL enjoy, Rudolph has been forced to take it upon himself to find help with his game from outside the organization (https://theathletic.com/1003174/2019/05/30/the-throwing-doctor-helped-mason-rudolph-and-its-showing-this-spring/). Working under the tutelage of Tom House, a former major-league pitcher known as “The Throwing Doctor,” the second-year player is reportedly looking even stronger at OTAs this offseason.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/6/8/18657733/steelers-quarterback-mason-rudolph-looking-to-make-huge-strides-for-his-rookie-season-nfl-news

Rotorhead
09-23-2019, 11:34 AM
What sux was that bubble screen has never worked for us. Our best play off that was when we faked it and threw to the TE up the field (guess we forgot that play existed). Why we even try it anymore is beyond me. That play can completely be erased from our playbook.

We should be able to win this game if our defense play like they did against the 49ers. We just better have an off gameplan this week, MR can make the throws he needs to. If we can run for more than 1yd on first down, we need to P/A throw on first for 5+yds then run. We have our WR core established now, Juju, DJ and Washington. If I am the HC, I have JaySam ready if Conner fumbles again.

DesertSteel
09-23-2019, 11:41 AM
Steelers 16-13.

SteelerFan091472
09-23-2019, 12:11 PM

Steelers also have a Sunday night Chargers (1-2) game that I do not think can be flexed and a number of national doubleheader games

http://www.nfl.com/flexible-schedules

In 2006 the NFL implemented a primetime "flexible scheduling" element on Sundays in Weeks 10-15 and in Week 17. In 2014 that was extended so that games between Weeks 5 and 17 could be affected by flex scheduling. However, only two games may be flexed into Sunday Night between Week 5 and 10.

I think if the Steelers win against the Bengals next Monday night, the Steelers/Chargers game probably stays on Sunday night. However, if the Steelers lose, I think the Steelers/Chargers game could be flexed out and I could see the 49ers/Rams game flexed to SNF.

NCSteeler
09-23-2019, 12:30 PM
Team has been to a significant extent in denial about life after Ben - we know Ben would ignore a QB coach, but knowing that two young QBs were backups was the situation going into 2019 not certain why an OC as over his head as Fichtner was assumed to be capable of also being QB coach, assuming that job is more than getting coffee for Ben

Rudolph took it upon himself to get coached up in the offseason - an article this past June

Without the benefit of a dedicated quarterbacks coach like many of his peers around the NFL enjoy, Rudolph has been forced to take it upon himself to find help with his game from outside the organization (https://theathletic.com/1003174/2019/05/30/the-throwing-doctor-helped-mason-rudolph-and-its-showing-this-spring/). Working under the tutelage of Tom House, a former major-league pitcher known as “The Throwing Doctor,” the second-year player is reportedly looking even stronger at OTAs this offseason.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/6/8/18657733/steelers-quarterback-mason-rudolph-looking-to-make-huge-strides-for-his-rookie-season-nfl-news
Sad that Tomlin would sit there and let three young QBs go without coaching. He may not be an idiot but this sure makes him look like one. Is his head that far up his ass?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Squeegee Thompson
09-23-2019, 01:04 PM

This reinforces a couple of opinions of mine:

1) Ben isn't going to give Mason jack shit for mentoring or help. Where was he on the sidelines? Oh yeah, probably sipping a martini on his couch in Pennsylvania. Ben will say all the right things publicly, but he won't back them up with any tangible actions. He really wants Mason to go out there and eat a big fat shitburger for the rest of the season so that his position is 100% solidified in 2020. If Rudolph shows real poise, growth and maturity as the season unfolds, Ben's grasp of the starting spot becomes more tenuous. Neither QB is an idiot. They both know exactly what's at stake here.

2) Mason's gonna be better off for it in the end. He's being forced to develop his own experience and judgement. He's not being coddled or 'kumbaya-ed' on the sidelines when things aren't rosy. This is going to breed a mental toughness and self-reliance, which combined with his work ethic and confidence that I think is gonna make him a better QB in the end. Mason is already shouldering the blame for the loss. And I think he means it. This is going to be 100% his team by Week 10.

Remember several years ago how much Favre helped Rodgers as a rookie? The answer: Zero. And Rodgers very quickly went on to become a premier QB. Mason's walking the same path - let's just see if his play in the next few weeks makes him look more and more like starting NFL QB material.

Edman
09-23-2019, 01:13 PM
Mason has had nothing but shit thrown at him since he was drafted, and had a ton of shit thrown at him yesterday. His resiliency was great.

He stood firm, took the blows, and lead yet another near-comeback on the road against a good 49ers team.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-23-2019, 01:33 PM

Yeah, I saw where Tunch said that Rudolph really worked on his footwork in the offseason and its improved from what I can see. Unfortunate that its in the Steelers best interest to improve the kid's mechanics, but they don't have anybody to commit to that with the young QB. Good on him for seeking the help to improve.

Somehow Mason looked more tense yesterday, than when he was thrown into things vs Seattle. Not sure if nerves or handcuffed by Danny Noonan and the playcalling.

DesertSteel
09-23-2019, 01:40 PM
Mason has had nothing but shit thrown at him since he was drafted, and had a ton of shit thrown at him yesterday. His resiliency was great.

He stood firm, took the blows, and lead yet another near-comeback on the road against a good 49ers team.
He definitely looked more comfortable against the Seahawks. I think he was very tense in the first half against the Niners. The horribly conservative play calling didn't help. I need to see him for another full game, with hopefully some more aggressive play calling, to form an opinion.

Squeegee Thompson
09-23-2019, 01:56 PM
Yeah, I saw where Tunch said that Rudolph really worked on his footwork in the offseason and its improved from what I can see. Unfortunate that its in the Steelers best interest to improve the kid's mechanics, but they don't have anybody to commit to that with the young QB. Good on him for seeking the help to improve.

Somehow Mason looked more tense yesterday, than when he was thrown into things vs Seattle. Not sure if nerves or handcuffed by Danny Noonan and the playcalling.

Seattle was applying decent pressure - nothing fantastic. SF was bringing serious heat on every down. Combine that with the fact that you're playing on the road versus the friendly confines, and I think the jitters were understandable. I thought Mason acquitted himself just fine. I expect a much more relaxed and confident #2 at home these next two weeks.

86WARD
09-24-2019, 05:18 AM
This reinforces a couple of opinions of mine:

1) Ben isn't going to give Mason jack shit for mentoring or help. Where was he on the sidelines? Oh yeah, probably sipping a martini on his couch in Pennsylvania. Ben will say all the right things publicly, but he won't back them up with any tangible actions. He really wants Mason to go out there and eat a big fat shitburger for the rest of the season so that his position is 100% solidified in 2020. If Rudolph shows real poise, growth and maturity as the season unfolds, Ben's grasp of the starting spot becomes more tenuous. Neither QB is an idiot. They both know exactly what's at stake here.

2) Mason's gonna be better off for it in the end. He's being forced to develop his own experience and judgement. He's not being coddled or 'kumbaya-ed' on the sidelines when things aren't rosy. This is going to breed a mental toughness and self-reliance, which combined with his work ethic and confidence that I think is gonna make him a better QB in the end. Mason is already shouldering the blame for the loss. And I think he means it. This is going to be 100% his team by Week 10.

Remember several years ago how much Favre helped Rodgers as a rookie? The answer: Zero. And Rodgers very quickly went on to become a premier QB. Mason's walking the same path - let's just see if his play in the next few weeks makes him look more and more like starting NFL QB material.

Injured players don’t always fly with the team. Brees wasn’t on the sideline either. Nice try...lol.

GoSlash27
09-24-2019, 09:12 AM
Ben isn't going to give Mason jack shit for mentoring or help. Where was he on the sidelines? Oh yeah, probably sipping a martini on his couch in Pennsylvania. :brick:

Or, you know... prepping for surgery...

Shoes
09-24-2019, 09:51 AM

I was thinking the same thing. I mean you always see Josh McDaniels going over stuff with Brady on the bench. How much more a young QB starting his first NFL game.

Squeegee Thompson
09-24-2019, 10:22 AM
:brick:

Or, you know... prepping for surgery...

Prepping for surgery? Gimme a break. This wasn't a quadruple bypass - this is a relatively simple outpatient surgery that was most likely done in less than an hour.

Oh yeah, and the surgery happened in L.A. on Tuesday - about an hour's plane ride south of where the game happened on Sunday. Ben wasn't there because he didn't want to be there. Don't prop the guy up like he was holding candlelight vigils and praying that he didn't die on the operating table.

:violin:

Edman
09-24-2019, 10:51 AM
Ben's PR says he wants to do everything he can to help the team and Mason, but doesn't show up with the team before the game. Okay. Then conveniently announces he's ready for 2020 as soon as the Steelers lose in San Francisco after the fact, and plays up the surgery like some kind of crazy thing, like the drama queen that he is.

Look, I get that Ben is future HOFer and a great quarterback for the Steelers, but lets not whistle past the graveyard and pretend he's some kind of selfless fantastic guy too. There's a reason why he doesn't have the greatest reputation. Ben is a competitor and a pretty big diva on par with Brett Favre with a massive ego. Ben doesn't like Mason, and never will. If Mason progresses and take flight this season, he will REALLY not like him. Ben was never one to show leadership ever, and I don't expect it to happen now. Especially with someone like Mason.

Joe Montana didn't like Steve Young, and Brett Favre didn't care for Aaron Rodgers.

Ben wants Rudy to fall on his face, so he can take back over and look like the gutsy super hero to the organization and the fanbase. That's just how it is in the NFL. It's a professional league and it isn't full of niceness and goodness. Not every player is a Larry Fitz or a Jerome Bettis, where he goes out of their way to mentor and coach his replacement. Some players just don't bother with that aspect and want their potential replacement to fail so they can keep their spot. Ben is one of those guys.

vasteeler
09-24-2019, 11:03 AM
Ben's PR says he wants to do everything he can to help the team and Mason, but doesn't show up with the team before the game. Okay. Then conveniently announces he's ready for 2020 as soon as the Steelers lose in San Francisco after the fact, and plays up the surgery like some kind of crazy thing, like the drama queen that he is.

Look, I get that Ben is future HOFer and a great quarterback for the Steelers, but lets not whistle past the graveyard and pretend he's some kind of selfless fantastic guy too. There's a reason why he doesn't have the greatest reputation. Ben is a competitor and a pretty big diva on par with Brett Favre with a massive ego. Ben doesn't like Mason, and never will. If Mason progresses and take flight this season, he will REALLY not like him. Ben was never one to show leadership ever, and I don't expect it to happen now. Especially with someone like Mason.

Joe Montana didn't like Steve Young, and Brett Favre didn't care for Aaron Rodgers.

Ben wants Rudy to fall on his face, so he can take back over and look like the gutsy super hero to the organization and the fanbase. That's just how it is in the NFL. It's a professional league and it isn't full of niceness and goodness. Not every player is a Larry Fitz or a Jerome Bettis, where he goes out of their way to mentor and coach his replacement. Some players just don't bother with that aspect and want their potential replacement to fail so they can keep their spot. Ben is one of those guys.

I think so much of this post is horse shit. How do you know Ben wants Mason to fail? You don't. He was having surgery on Monday. Why the hell would he be in SF on Sunday. Don't make shit up because you hate Ben.

Squeegee Thompson
09-24-2019, 11:13 AM
I think so much of this post is horse shit. How do you know Ben wants Mason to fail? You don't. From what I read the Dr. Didn't want Ben to fly to SF because the flight could cause swelling . Don't make shit up because you hate Ben.

Speaking of horseshit ... did Ben take a Greyhound bus to L.A. a day later to have the surgery done? No. He flew, of course.

The cabin pressure on any commercial airliner is set somewhere between 8,000 - 9,000 feet. What kinda swelling would they actually anticipate at those elevations?

Nice try, though.

vasteeler
09-24-2019, 11:18 AM
Yeah I miss spoke. That why o edited my post. Nice try yourself.

Mojouw
09-24-2019, 11:20 AM
I was thinking the same thing. I mean you always see Josh McDaniels going over stuff with Brady on the bench. How much more a young QB starting his first NFL game.

There were like at least 3 shots of Fichnter and Rudolph going through overheads, playsheets, and something on a tablet.

I mean I'm still baffled why there is no QB coach on a team trying to groom a successor to the old AF starting QB...but don't let the TV cameras determine the narrative for you.

To be clear, not really disagreeing with you or anyone else. I just have a pet peeve that we all (myself included) make a great deal of what is and is not shown or discussed during the TV broadcast, because that is all we have. But we need to remember that it is all a stage managed highly produced and filtered version of reality.

Shoes
09-24-2019, 11:46 AM
I know what you mean with the camera shots. I just know there were a lot shots of Mason going solo with the tablet sitting alone. I mean fichtner should have been glued to him but I guess he didn't have anything to offer.

Rotorhead
09-24-2019, 12:12 PM
Prepping for surgery? Gimme a break. This wasn't a quadruple bypass - this is a relatively simple outpatient surgery that was most likely done in less than an hour.

Oh yeah, and the surgery happened in L.A. on Tuesday - about an hour's plane ride south of where the game happened on Sunday. Ben wasn't there because he didn't want to be there. Don't prop the guy up like he was holding candlelight vigils and praying that he didn't die on the operating table.

We get it, you hate Ben, he is a terrible leader, blah blah blah. Since you are not Ben or part of his inner circle, whatever you think happened I’d just complete BS and even more so since we all know you don’t like him.

tube517
09-24-2019, 12:28 PM
I know what you mean with the camera shots. I just know there were a lot shots of Mason going solo with the tablet sitting alone. I mean fichtner should have been glued to him but I guess he didn't have anything to offer.

Fichtner is the phantom QB coach. Maybe he was asking Hodges about teaching him duck calls. :noidea:

Shoes
09-24-2019, 12:30 PM
Fichtner is the phantom QB coach. Maybe he was asking Hodges about teaching him duck calls. :noidea:

:lol: Mason will be quacking in the shotgun.

GoSlash27
09-24-2019, 12:55 PM

No... It happened on Monday. Where did you get "Tuesday" from?
And all of my friends that have had "simple outpatient surgeries" have had restrictions placed on them the day before. No food, clear liquids only, etc. I would guess that Ben was already in LA on Sunday.
But we'll find out on Monday night. If there's no Ben helping Rudolph then we will all know you were right. But if there is, I hope you realize how shitty this post was.

Squeegee Thompson
09-24-2019, 01:06 PM
And all of my friends that have had "simple outpatient surgeries" have had restrictions placed on them the day before. No food, clear liquids only, etc. I would guess that Ben was already in LA on Sunday.
But we'll find out on Monday night. If there's no Ben helping Rudolph then we will all know you were right. But if there is, I hope you cop to behaving like a colossal ass.

Yeah, my mental clock thinks it's Wednesday - so I was off by a day, and thought the surgery was Tuesday (instead of Monday) so that colored my judgement.

Don't get me wrong. I love Ben - I think he's the best quarterback this franchise has ever had, including Bradshaw and I'll be rocking my white #7 in the house in two weeks. But there's some aspects to his character that really detract from his overall greatness, and they're starting to and will continue to be put on display now that he's no longer "the man" for the 2019 season.

If Ben turns into QB Coach Roethlisberger and gives Mason access to his experience and knowledge, I'll gladly eat crow - since that would be in the best interests of the team and to Mason's development. I just don't think we're gonna see it. I really hope Ben proves me wrong, but his past and current behavior makes me highly doubt he will.

Shoes
09-24-2019, 01:11 PM
But we'll find out on Monday night. If there's no Ben helping Rudolph then we will all know you were right. But if there is, I hope you realize how shitty this post was.

Many times it's more than that. Doctor's may and do re-examine, order new test's X-rays, MRI's etc. Since this isn't Ben's "home Doc" doing the surgery, he would surely want to spend time with Ben asking countless questions.

Mojouw
09-24-2019, 01:18 PM
Yeah. You're not wrong.

Many spoke about the lack of QB coach and how maybe that's okay with Ben, but really dumb for everyone else on the roster. I believe we also discussed it as a board during the off-season as well. It is such a blindingly obvious idea that all I can think is that Fichtner saw how short the path is to OC from QB coach and figured he wasn't going to let that happen to him.

steel striker
09-24-2019, 02:54 PM
Well since AJ Green is out maybe the Steelers can finally get a win 27-13.

tube517
09-25-2019, 11:15 AM

Rotorhead
09-25-2019, 11:55 AM
Well these next two weeks will either keep our season alive or end it. If we lose to both the Bungles and the Ravens it is over. If we split them it is almost over, if we win both, we are back in it.

Squeegee Thompson
09-25-2019, 12:18 PM
McDonald being 'questionable' is actually good news. Had no idea Fumble was questionable as well. They really are getting thin at TE - so that trade makes more sense now.

Really need Williams back in the lineup for run support. I can't take much more of watching Barron scratching his balls as running backs go streaking past him.

Rotorhead
09-26-2019, 09:57 AM
Grimble is on IR now

Born2Steel
09-26-2019, 12:14 PM
What offensive scheme will the Bengals use vs our defense?

Squeegee Thompson
09-26-2019, 12:27 PM

Run the TE straight down the seam, and send the slot receiver on a crossing route out of a trips formation. Both of these routes are guaranteed to ensure that no defender will be within 10 yards of the receiver when the pass arrives.

Steeler-in-west
09-26-2019, 12:40 PM
Well these next two weeks will either keep our season alive or end it. If we lose to both the Bungles and the Ravens it is over. If we split them it is almost over, if we win both, we are back in it.

if we lose to the bengals at home forget about the following week. The Steelers are not recovering from that loss.

Can’t believe just this fourth game is a must win, but it seems like it really is.

Born2Steel
09-26-2019, 12:47 PM
Run the TE straight down the seam, and send the slot receiver on a crossing route out of a trips formation. Both of these routes are guaranteed to ensure that no defender will be within 10 yards of the receiver when the pass arrives.

Is Cordy Glenn still out with that concussion? What news on Uzomah’s foot injury? Will Green be back for this game?

Edman
09-26-2019, 12:52 PM

Swing pass to Joe Mixon out of the backfield.

Running Eifert down the seam.

Crossing routes.

You know, things that Keith Butler has a complete inability to handle or stop.

Fire Goodell
09-26-2019, 01:08 PM
Andy Dalton throws the game winning interception to Fitzpatrick, Steelers 24-20

AtlantaDan
09-26-2019, 02:03 PM
if we lose to the bengals at home forget about the following week. The Steelers are not recovering from that loss.

Can’t believe just this fourth game is a must win, but it seems like it really is.

This thread from 2 weeks ago

Yes, this is a must win game.

(http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/31088-Yes-this-is-a-must-win-game)http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/31088-Yes-this-is-a-must-win-game

Lather, rinse, repeat :chuckle:

Welcome to the 2019 Steelers season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwCtM6D4GOc

tube517
09-30-2019, 07:01 PM
Uh where's Renegade. Did he make the gameday thread yet??

st33lersguy
09-30-2019, 07:49 PM
That wasn't pass interference. Oh and Tomlin will challenge that? They won't overturn this