PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Ben placed on IR with season ending injury

stillers4me
09-16-2019, 09:17 AM
Personally, I'm thrilled that Mason did well yesterday because it bodes well for the future. (Imagine Dobbs playing yesterday).

However, it was just one game and next week could be a completely different story as the 49'ers prepare for a rookie instead of a HOF'er. (JMO) I'm convinced that Ben's elbow bothered him last week, because it was not the Ben we saw in camp. (again, JMO).

Waiting for the MRI news......hopefully no surgery for Ben, and we get him back in a couple of weeks.

The Saints have probably lost Brees for the season and maybe forever....and that's not good for any football fan. (again JMHO)

Edman
09-16-2019, 09:27 AM
This is going to be a long and intriguing season.

Also Mason is not a rookie.

stillers4me
09-16-2019, 09:31 AM
This is going to be a long and intriguing season.

That's putting it mildly! :horror:

Squeegee Thompson
09-16-2019, 09:33 AM
Well, fuck. This is the year I finally make the pilgrimage to the Burgh to see Ben play at home against the Ravens before he hangs 'em up an now it looks like he won't be able to go.

Isn't that just a kick in the nuts.

86WARD
09-16-2019, 09:39 AM
I guess Deion was right???

stillers4me
09-16-2019, 09:40 AM
Well, fuck. This is the year I finally make the pilgrimage to the Burgh to see Ben play at home against the Ravens before he hangs 'em up an now it looks like he won't be able to go.

Isn't that just a kick in the nuts.

Maybe Rudolph will light'em up sooner than later with 1st team reps at practice......especially with his favorite target and best pal James Washington.
:crossed:

stillers4me
09-16-2019, 09:50 AM

86WARD
09-16-2019, 10:48 AM
Out for the season...ouch...

stillers4me
09-16-2019, 10:49 AM
Statement by Mike Tomlin on Ben Roethlisberger:
Ben Roethlisberger had an MRI on his right elbow Sunday evening and it was determined by the Steelers’ medical team that surgery will be required. We expect the surgery will be scheduled for this week. He will be placed on our Reserve/Injured List and is out for the season.

https://www.steelers.com/news/tomlin-statement-on-roethlisberger

86WARD
09-16-2019, 10:53 AM
Well that sucks and Fichtner pretty much gets a pass on this season. So do they bring another QB in to back up Rudolph or do they roll with Hodges?

steel striker
09-16-2019, 10:53 AM
WOW I hate that Deion Sanders called this and, it sux. Well I guess we will see what Mason can do.

Edman
09-16-2019, 10:54 AM
Oooh shit.

We’re really in the thick shit now.

It is the Mason show. Wether we like it or not.

vasteeler
09-16-2019, 10:55 AM
I'm a big Softie... This breaks my heart.

Oh, and fuck Dion Sanders

stillers4me
09-16-2019, 10:55 AM
Well, Steelers fans. This is what some of us feared happening for years. And some are actually celebrating the end of his career.

#herewego

Mojouw
09-16-2019, 10:58 AM
This could be a career ender. Ligaments are tricky things. I also have to wonder if this has been going on for some time now. Even back to last season. If something was slowly fraying in his elbow and now it finally tore, may explain why Ben's deep ball just kinda evaporated in the last 18 months or so.

I wonder if he is basically getting Tommy John surgery?

stillers4me
09-16-2019, 11:00 AM
This could be a career ender. Ligaments are tricky things. I also have to wonder if this has been going on for some time now. Even back to last season. If something was slowly fraying in his elbow and now it finally tore, may explain why Ben's deep ball just kinda evaporated in the last 18 months or so.

If he was younger, I'd say he'd be back as good as new for next year. But now........I guess it depends on Rudolph's year and how well he plays this year.

I'd never wish for the end of Ben's career, but here's hoping Mason takes advantage of the opportunity and soars!

steelreserve
09-16-2019, 11:00 AM
Ah shit!

tube517
09-16-2019, 11:01 AM

Ironic that Bradshaw's career ended w/a bad elbow.

THere was a report that said he had an issue w/the elbow during the week

stillers4me
09-16-2019, 11:04 AM
I'm a big Softie... This breaks my heart.

Oh, and fuck Dion Sanders

Me, too. He really played his heart out for this team.

Rotorhead
09-16-2019, 11:10 AM
Sucks to have this happen, maybe he will come back better next season, but I am hoping for the best in Rudolph

The Bark
09-16-2019, 11:11 AM
Kind of eerily similar to Tommy Maddox's exit 15 years ago.

Devilsdancefloor
09-16-2019, 11:18 AM
:puke:

86WARD
09-16-2019, 11:20 AM

Don’t they say that they come back stronger these days with the Tommy John Surgery?

steel striker
09-16-2019, 11:21 AM
Yeah this sucks and, I hope he can come back next year. I know he does not want to go out like this and, there plenty of people that are kicking dirt in him. He has been the best QB we have ever had since Bradshaw. Be careful for what you wish for.

Mojouw
09-16-2019, 11:21 AM
Don’t they say that they come back stronger these days with the Tommy John Surgery?

Hopefully. But dude is what, 37 or 38? Who knows if he even wants to rehab...

stillers4me
09-16-2019, 11:23 AM

86WARD
09-16-2019, 11:23 AM
Hopefully. But dude is what, 37 or 38? Who knows if he even wants to rehab...

True. I do feel like he doesn’t want to go out like this though...but maybe that’s just me forcing my own thoughts on the situation...

stillers4me
09-16-2019, 11:27 AM

- - - Updated - - -

And if we really, really suck this year.........think of the draft pick..............

:couch:

steel striker
09-16-2019, 11:28 AM
I hope everything goes well for Ben and, through the good & bad he is one of my favorite players to watch. Heal up and, come back firing next year!

Fire Goodell
Damn, as much as I thought he was nearing the end of his career / unable to win the big one anymore, I didn't want to see him go out like this. I'm afraid this might be a career ender, the dude is almost 40 with a long rehab ahead of him.

stillers4me
All the support from his teammates are making me teary eyed....

st33lersguy
09-16-2019, 11:30 AM
It sucks for Ben, but this may be a blessing in disguise. We get a long look at Rudolph and what he can potentially do and see what he is like as a QB. Plus we can see what Tomlin can do without Ben for basically an entire year

AtlantaDan
09-16-2019, 11:30 AM
Was at the game yesterday behind the Steelers bench.

After the announcement that Ben was questionable to return for the second half, I watched Ben on the sidelines.

Until midway through the third quarter Ben interacted with nobody but stood by himself on the sideline a good distance away from everyone.. As the second half progressed he talked more with Fichtner as plays were sent in while the Steelers were on offense, started talking with Rudolph, and was congratulating the defense as it came off the field after the Bush fumble return.

In hindsight I am wondering if Ben was spending the initial portion of the third quarter contemplating his career’s mortality given how serious he presumably felt the injury might be

Surgery has come a long way but elbow surgery on a throwing arm can require a long rehab/recovery period even if successful

Simply devastating news that illustrates the Woody Allen quote that “If you want to make God laugh tell him about your plans”

On to Mason Rudolph

fansince'76
09-16-2019, 11:34 AM
Just keeps getting better and better...

Kind of eerily similar to Tommy Maddox's exit 15 years ago.

Pretty much the exact way Bradshaw went out.

steelreserve
09-16-2019, 11:46 AM

It's still a 12 to 18 month recovery time, and even then it might take a while longer to actually be "game ready." If that's really what it is, Ben could be missing some or all of NEXT season.

Can't necessarily say it's a career-ender, since you have examples like Joe Montana coming back successfully after a full two years off in his late 30s ... but still far from guaranteed and a shit state of affairs to be in.

EzraTank
09-16-2019, 11:56 AM
At 37, I have an eerie feeling Ben has played his last game. Tommy-John surgery is not something you just come back from easily and it usually takes 1-2 years to get back to normal. That would have him knocking on 40's doorstep. I'm not saying it's 100% over but all signs are pointing at it is.

Let the official rebuild begin. At this point 8-8 would be a victory but the fastest Tomlin and his coaching ban of morons are gone the faster we can rebuild.

Thanks Ben for two Superbowls. I wish you had better coaching around you, less selfish players, and a better defense the last 5 years ... you would have probably delivered another Superbowl or two!

Squeegee Thompson
09-16-2019, 12:15 PM
I agree. He's 37, in the twilight of his career and now facing a significant surgery to his throwing arm. I think this it. Ben's done.

What a shitty way to go out.

pczach
09-16-2019, 12:22 PM
There are plenty of people here today that are happy about Ben going down.

I read some of the comments calling him a drama queen when he left the game. Others stated that maybe Rudolph playing well will light a fire under his ass.....as if he wasn't trying. He couldn't possibly be playing hurt.....

I wish all the best to Ben. I hope he recovers fully from this very tough injury and is able to do whatever he wants to do with the rest of his life...including playing football.

I also hope the Mason Rudolph plays great, and is the answer to everyone's prayers going forward.....myself included.

A very small part of me would still like to see Rudolph join the long list of hyped players that never amounted to anything just so I could listen to the straight up morons that have bashed Ben forever actually come within throwing distance of understanding how great he has been, and how lucky those idiots have been to witness it.

fansince'76
09-16-2019, 12:27 PM
A very small part of me would still like to see Rudolph join the long list of hyped players that never amounted to anything just so I could listen to the straight up morons that have bashed Ben forever actually come within throwing distance of understanding how great he has been, and how lucky those idiots have been to witness it.

While I hear you, as someone who lived through the entire post-Bradshaw/pre-Ben period and remembers just how painful it was (particularly during those years when the rest of the roster was championship caliber), I really hope they lucked out and struck gold with Rudolph...

86WARD
09-16-2019, 12:32 PM
So all the news about the B population being in a decline and almost extinct at this stage is true. Boswell...the remaining B...lol

JnK
09-16-2019, 12:39 PM
Terrible news and I wish Ben well. Like somebody else commented Ben played his heart out for this team and brought us a whole lot of great football. IMO it's a sad day for Steeler Nation.

crcsnail
09-16-2019, 12:45 PM
A sad day . I did actually think at the time , that doesn’t look good . What a great QB Ben has been for us . Some of the most exciting plays ever and of course that tackle. Gonna miss the man .

DesertSteel
09-16-2019, 12:56 PM
I've been a Steeler fan since 1972 and I can't tell you how much I hate comments like this one.

steel striker
09-16-2019, 12:58 PM
Again I'm wish Ben all the best and, hopefully he can return next year but, I have read many people on this board dogging Ben BECAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR! He is the best Qb we have had since Bradshaw like FS76 said many times on here like I have as well. I hope Mason does great and, leads this team to the playoffs we will see. Ben has been a great player hall of fame and, yet people here still talk bad about him mark my words if this is the end you will say man that Big Ben was pretty darn good and I miss him. If you want I can list the QB's in between Bradshaw & Ben? It was freaking UGLY!

Mach1
09-16-2019, 01:07 PM
I've been a Steeler fan since 1972 and I can't tell you how much I hate comments like this one.

Bubby Brister doesn't like them either. :chuckle:

ALLD
09-16-2019, 01:16 PM
But will it affect his golf game?

tube517
09-16-2019, 01:26 PM

I read some of the comments calling him a drama queen when he left the game. Others stated that maybe Rudolph playing well will light a fire under his ass.....as if he wasn't trying. He couldn't possibly be playing hurt.....

I wish all the best to Ben. I hope he recovers fully from this very tough injury and is able to do whatever he wants to do with the rest of his life...including playing football.

I also hope the Mason Rudolph plays great, and is the answer to everyone's prayers going forward.....myself included.

I ageree w/you . I'm pretty shocked at how everyone assumes this is it for Ben.

86WARD
09-16-2019, 01:34 PM

It’s not in Ben’s make up to just fold after this injury. At the very least, he comes back and gives it a go...if it’s bad then, then he has the conversation about retirement. I don’t see him having that conversation anytime before he’s healed and back throwing the ball.

DesertSteel
09-16-2019, 01:40 PM
Again I'm wish Ben all the best and, hopefully he can return next year but, I have read many people on this board dogging Ben BECAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR! He is the best Qb we have had since Bradshaw like FS76 said many times on here like I have as well. I hope Mason does great and, leads this team to the playoffs we will see. Ben has been a great player hall of fame and, yet people here still talk bad about him mark my words if this is the end you will say man that Big Ben was pretty darn good and I miss him. If you want I can list the QB's in between Bradshaw & Ben? It was freaking UGLY!
Yes everybody on message boards is as old as dirt. It’s the original social media. Everyone needs to stop acting like no one knows what it’s like for the Steelers to have a bad QB. Let’s all hope MR is a good one. But I suspect some will secretly hope he sucks so they can say I told you so.

Shoes
09-16-2019, 01:41 PM
I wish Ben all the best. This happening so early will give him time to think about his family and football future. If Mason carries the team through the season like a true #1 I think Ben will retire. Retiring has been on his mind for a few years now and Mason picking up the mantle and doing well could be a great way to retire. You have done all you could, its time for someone else to take over. I'm going through this in my work, but I'm delighted to hand over the mantle. :chuckle:

Fire Goodell
09-16-2019, 01:41 PM
I ageree w/you . I'm pretty shocked at how everyone assumes this is it for Ben.

It could be, honestly a lot of it depends on Rudolph. If he has a great season, do we put Rudolph back on the bench for a former great who's on the tail end of his career? It's a really tough decision to make.

I know the saying is 'no starter should lose their job due to injury', but in the NFL it happens more often than not. Backup outperforming the starter especially in the long term (over the course of an entire season basically), would mean Ben played his last game in Pittsburgh most likely.

86WARD
09-16-2019, 01:46 PM
I’m actually saying they go 3-3 in their first 6 games where before, they were going to be 0-6. Not because of Ben but because players AND COACHES are now going to have to up their game and find ways to win opposed to leaning on Ben.

I think they win this week, win next week, lose to the Ravens and beat the Chargers. Dolphins, Colts, Rams at home...that’s 5-4. I think they finish 10-6/9-7. Playoffs? Probably not...but maybe...

tube517
09-16-2019, 01:50 PM
It could be, honestly a lot of it depends on Rudolph. If he has a great season, do we put Rudolph back on the bench for a former great who's on the tail end of his career? It's a really tough decision to make.

I know the saying is 'no starter should lose their job due to injury', but in the NFL it happens more often than not. Backup outperforming the starter especially in the long term (over the course of an entire season basically), would mean Ben played his last game in Pittsburgh most likely.

Naw, I was talking about people on Twitter. Ruthless. But yeah if we get to that point, then it's better than where we've been before (i.e. Kent Graham, Kordell, Brister, Malone, Maddox, etc)

Born2Steel
09-16-2019, 01:50 PM
I didn’t even realize Ben had made the cover of the new Madden game.

Fire Goodell
09-16-2019, 01:57 PM
I’m actually saying they go 3-3 in their first 6 games where before, they were going to be 0-6. Not because of Ben but because players AND COACHES are now going to have to up their game and find ways to win opposed to leaning on Ben.

I think they win this week, win next week, lose to the Ravens and beat the Chargers. Dolphins, Colts, Rams at home...that’s 5-4. I think they finish 10-6/9-7. Playoffs? Probably not...but maybe...

I just hope we can win a game. :chuckle:

stillers4me
09-16-2019, 02:06 PM

steelreserve
09-16-2019, 02:09 PM
It’s not in Ben’s make up to just fold after this injury. At the very least, he comes back and gives it a go...if it’s bad then, then he has the conversation about retirement. I don’t see him having that conversation anytime before he’s healed and back throwing the ball.

It may not be up to him, that's the thing.

First, depending on whether the injury is actually something he can come back from. If it's 12 months out and all he can throw are weak floaters, then what?

Also, if he is not at full strength next year, contract considerations start coming into play. $25M dead money if he is released/retires before the 2020 season, but a $33.5M cap hit if he is on the roster, followed by $31.5M if he's around for 2021.

People may have a huge emotional attachment to him as a hero who carried the team to two Super Bowls - but there is just no way you can carry $30M-plus for multiple seasons if you are not sure the guy can even play.

It helps that Rudolph is on his rookie contract, but that's up in 2021 also. The 2020 offseason is it, we've got to make a decision (otherwise Rudolph hits the open market in 2021 and is as good as gone, if he's worth keeping). How Rudolph plays is the 800-pound gorilla in the room, but we'll find out all we need to know about THAT now for sure.

Best case, Rudolph plays lights-out, wins the starting job, then gets hurt just before the 2020 playoffs; Ben comes off the bench and drags the team across the finish line for their 7th title and goes out as a hero.

Worst case, Rudolph breaks his leg in the first half against SF next week, so we still don't get a good read on his ability; the whole season is a complete waste and we have to hipshoot a huge decision in 2020 with very limited information. In that regard, forget praying for Ben's health right now, pray thst Rudolph stays healthy at least long enough to tell if he's for real.

fansince'76
09-16-2019, 02:42 PM
Yes everybody on message boards is as old as dirt. It’s the original social media. Everyone needs to stop acting like no one knows what it’s like for the Steelers to have a bad QB. Let’s all hope MR is a good one. But I suspect some will secretly hope he sucks so they can say I told you so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut3jqRlElOM

:chuckle:

stillers4me
09-16-2019, 03:21 PM
Will Ben be allowed to be on the side with headphones and help while on IR?

Squeegee Thompson
09-16-2019, 03:32 PM
It's still a 12 to 18 month recovery time, and even then it might take a while longer to actually be "game ready." If that's really what it is, Ben could be missing some or all of NEXT season.

Can't necessarily say it's a career-ender, since you have examples like Joe Montana coming back successfully after a full two years off in his late 30s ... but still far from guaranteed and a shit state of affairs to be in.

I'm reading some reports that for QBs the recovery period is closer to 7-9 months. 12-18 is what MLB pitchers face. So, it's feasible he could come back next year.

steelreserve
09-16-2019, 03:36 PM
I'm reading some reports that for QBs the recovery period is closer to 7-9 months. 12-18 is what MLB pitchers face. So, it's feasible he could come back next year.

Well, QBs almost never get that injury, so it's a limited number of cases. Bottom line is it probably just depends a lot on luck.

Crow-Magnon
09-16-2019, 04:16 PM
Wow. If this is the end of Ben's career, it's not what I expected. That's a blow.

Maybe.

I'm sure when the Ravens knocked Maddox out of the game and Ben took over, many thought the season was doomed. Or when Bledsoe went down and a guy named Brady went behind center. Hell, when Boller was lost and Troy Smith went down to illness, a rookie Flacco started and took the Ravens to the AFCC (I am 100% positive you all remember THAT game!). The truth is...you never know.

AtlantaDan
09-16-2019, 04:25 PM

Chris Mortensen says 6 month recovery period to return to full strength if successful - Mort said he spoke with Jake Delhomme who had that Tommy John (formally known as ulnar collateral ligament (UCL) reconstruction) surgery

QBs apparently can recover more quickly since throwing a football again at full strength does not put the stress on the repaired elbow that pitching a baseball does

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27630164/big-ben-season-ending-elbow-surgery

fansince'76
09-16-2019, 04:26 PM
I'm sure when the Ravens knocked Maddox out of the game and Ben took over, many thought the season was doomed.

Not really. I knew they weren't winning anything with Turnover Tommy under center anyway, no matter how strong the rest of the roster was. In a way I was thankful (not that Maddox was injured, but that Cowher was forced to make a QB change), because God knows how long Roethlisberger would have rotted on the bench behind him otherwise. Cowher never was much for managing QBs (he also seriously undervalued the position), which was his one big weakness, IMO.

Rotorhead
09-16-2019, 04:29 PM

I think you are right on with this thinking, maybe not the outcomes, but I think everyone steps up their game for MR, kind of like they did for Ben in his first season.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-16-2019, 04:41 PM

Heard on ESPN radio today talking about Jake Delhomme and his Tommy John surgery and he said he felt fine in 2-3 months and then the recovery was around 6 months. Says he was just as strong as before. The comment was made that throwing a baseball is a more shocking movement than throwing a Football and pitchers do a lot more of it during a season.

Still, so maybe he would come back next year for one more, but he is still at the end of the career.

Mojouw
09-16-2019, 04:42 PM
Has it actually been confirmed anywhere that it is the UCL and therefore Tommy John? I read somewhere this morning that no one had said for sure. Then i stopped paying attention.

stillers4me
09-16-2019, 04:43 PM
Has it actually been confirmed anywhere that it is the UCL and therefore Tommy John? I read somewhere this morning that no one had said for sure. Then i stopped paying attention.
Not that I've seen yet. But it's serious enough to put him on IR for the season so it's the assumption.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-16-2019, 04:46 PM

Chris Mortensen stopped short of confirming that on radio today. He said he was going to wait for the team to announce, but that sources said it sounded serious.

steelreserve
09-16-2019, 04:49 PM

What other surgery is there for torn elbow ligaments? I legitimately think that's the only one it could be? If there's another elbow injury like that, I've never heard of it.

Mojouw
09-16-2019, 05:43 PM
What other surgery is there for torn elbow ligaments? I legitimately think that's the only one it could be? If there's another elbow injury like that, I've never heard of it.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/09/the-doctor-is-in-follow-up-on-roethlisbergers-season-ending-elbow-injury/

There are several other ligaments and tendons floating around in your elbow. Could be any one of those. Or something with the joint surface itself.

I suspect it is UCL/Tommy John, but wondered if anyone had heard for sure.

NCSteeler
09-16-2019, 06:44 PM
If Ben is done for good it'll be time to hang up my Superbowl XL Champion shirt. It's full of holes, can barely be pulled on without ripping. But it's my Sunday go-to. Sad days ahead.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

AtlantaDan
09-16-2019, 07:39 PM
This from a Post-Gazette article

While the exact nature of Roethlisberger’s injury has not been revealed, a team source who is familiar with the situation told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette there is “no reason to believe right now” the injury is career-threatening...

Team orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Bradley is expected to perform the surgery.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2019/09/16/pittsburgh-steelers-ben-roethlisberger-elbow-injury-out-for-season/stories/201909160095

While the injury is serious my understanding is the surgical procedure itself is fairly generic and not anything requiring cutting edge expertise. So presumably no need for Ben to have a consult or get on the schedule for whoever may be the most renowned elbow ligament surgeon in the country before the cutting begins

As for “no reason to believe right now" the injury is career-threatening, that probably is true - will not know how threatening until we see how a QB already in the twilight of his career handles the rehab and recovery.

steelreserve
09-16-2019, 07:49 PM
When you are a 37-year-old pro athlete, ANY season-ending injury is career threatening.

fansince'76
09-16-2019, 08:32 PM
If Ben is done for good it'll be time to hang up my Superbowl XL Champion shirt. It's full of holes, can barely be pulled on without ripping. But it's my Sunday go-to.

Does it bring flies too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM3CovgD8Bo&amp&t=75s

:chuckle:

Hawkman
09-16-2019, 08:41 PM

- - - Updated - - -

And if we really, really suck this year.........think of the draft pick..............

:couch:

You really went there?:heh:

teegre
09-16-2019, 08:48 PM
Wow. If this is the end of Ben's career, it's not what I expected. That's a blow.

Maybe.

I'm sure when the Ravens knocked Maddox out of the game and Ben took over, many thought the season was doomed. Or when Bledsoe went down and a guy named Brady went behind center. Hell, when Boller was lost and Troy Smith went down to illness, a rookie Flacco started and took the Ravens to the AFCC (I am 100% positive you all remember THAT game!). The truth is...you never know.

:nod:

As I stated elsewhere... September 19, 2004 all over again.

NCSteeler
09-17-2019, 03:46 AM
:nod:

As I stated elsewhere... September 19, 2004 all over again.Except this team is no where near as talented or well coached. It's possible that this will force the coaches to dig a little harder but Rudolph doesn't have the defense Ben had as a rookie

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

teegre
09-17-2019, 07:03 AM
Except this team is no where near as talented or well coached. It's possible that this will force the coaches to dig a little harder but Rudolph doesn't have the defense Ben had as a rookie

Maybe.

After the 2003 season, people were saying that Cowher was done and that our defense sucked.

Really, they said those things. Over & over & over & over & over...

AtlantaDan
09-17-2019, 07:18 AM
Maybe.

After the 2003 season, people were saying that Cowher was done and that our defense sucked.

Of course after the 2003 season Cowher fired D coordinator Lewis and brought in LeBeau - some say that was an upgrade :rolleyes:

This season Tomlin stuck with Butler and the hits just keep on coming with screwups on defense

teegre
09-17-2019, 07:22 AM
Of course after the 2003 season Cowher fired D coordinator Lewis and brought in LeBeau - some say that was an upgrade :rolleyes:

This season Tomlin stuck with Butler and the hits just keep on coming with screwups on defense

True.

That said, I have stated for a while that by mid-season, Teryl Austin will be the DC (and Butler will go back to being “just” a LBs coach (where he actually faired well).

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
09-17-2019, 07:59 AM
True.

That said, I have stated for a while that by mid-season, Teryl Austin will be the DC (and Butler will go back to being “just” a LBs coach (where he actually faired well). Would love to see Butler demoted but will believe when or if I see it.

86WARD
09-17-2019, 08:26 AM
So let’s say this is really the end for Ben. No one has really approached the Pouncey situation...that’s something that may need to be addressed as well.

86WARD
09-17-2019, 08:27 AM
True.

That said, I have stated for a while that by mid-season, Teryl Austin will be the DC (and Butler will go back to being “just” a LBs coach (where he actually faired well).

Does Butler stay with the team if that occurs?

AtlantaDan
09-17-2019, 08:40 AM
So let’s say this is really the end for Ben. No one has really approached the Pouncey situation...that’s something that may need to be addressed as well.

Pouncey appears to still be playing at a high level and he has 22 million reasons to play out through the extension he signed last spring even if Ben’s rehab does not go well and Sunday was the end of the road. It’s a business.

This link on his extension terms - assuming Ben and he had a joint retirement press conference next summer the Steelers might not let Pouncey keep the prorated 6 million in signing bonus $ for 2020/2021 for old times sake

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/maurkice-pouncey-6527/

But the OL is aging and high round draft choices for the OL are going to be required sooner rather than later

Born2Steel
09-17-2019, 08:47 AM
Pouncey appears to still be playing at a high level and he has 22 million reasons to play out through the extension he signed last spring even if Ben’s rehab does not go well and Sunday was the end of the road. It’s a business.

This link on his extension terms - assuming Ben and he had a joint retirement press conference next summer the Steelers might not let Pouncey keep the prorated 6 million in signing bonus $ for 2020/2021 for old times sake

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/maurkice-pouncey-6527/

But the OL is aging and high round draft choices for the OL are going to be required sooner rather than later

Or trade a high round draft pick for a known commodity at OL. This is becoming the way to build a team when you’re not in full rebuild mode, IMO.

86WARD
09-17-2019, 08:48 AM
That’s what I’m saying...soon, that Center position and as you mentioned the other O-Line spots are going to need to be addressed. I don’t think Pouncey leaves as soon as Ben does, but when Ben goes, Pouncey is probably gone at the end of his deal...which leaves two big holes in the offense.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-17-2019, 11:01 AM
True.

I think that is possible, but don't think Butler will just step back for a demotion. Think Butler would be let go. Think of having a manager or supervisor that you reported to for 5 years, suddenly replaced by somebody else, but still kept around. I think would be an awkward situation and culture for employees to be in.

Fire Goodell
09-17-2019, 11:45 AM
Maybe.

I'm still holding out hope that the defense isn't that bad, but they're constantly put in a bad spot with the continuous 3 and outs by our offense (I wouldn't be surprised if we led the league in this category). The offense does not do anything to give the defense a breather.

Gotta start converting 3rd downs and give the running game a chance to go.

AtlantaDan
09-17-2019, 11:51 AM
I think that is possible, but don't think Butler will just step back for a demotion. Think Butler would be let go. Think of having a manager or supervisor that you reported to for 5 years, suddenly replaced by somebody else, but still kept around. I think would be an awkward situation and culture for employees to be in.

Could be like when Cowher turned over the offense to Chan Gailey during the 1995 season while Ron Ehrhardt was still technically the OC or when Cowher quit letting OC Ray Sherman call plays during the 1998 season without any formal announcements until after the season ended.

But Cowher was much more cold blooded about cutting assistant coaches loose if they under performed - might be one reason why assistants who did not get axed by Cowher often were hired as HCs while Tomlin has no coaching tree of which I am aware