PDA

View Full Version : Mason Rudolph

Shoes
09-15-2019, 03:30 PM
I really like this young man, he's got "it" imo. Sure was the bright spot of the game.

Fire Goodell
09-15-2019, 03:33 PM
He does to seem to have that leadership quality that Ben doesn't have. I'm looking forward to seeing him play more

Mach1
09-15-2019, 03:33 PM
Looks like he might be the real deal.

86WARD
09-15-2019, 03:34 PM
Let’s see what he’s like after some teams have some film on him...looks promising but I’m not starting him over Ben quite yet...

fansince'76
Let’s see what he’s like after some teams have some film on him...looks promising but I’m not starting him over Ben quite yet...

This.

st33lersguy
Too early to tell but I like what I see to start

Edman
09-15-2019, 03:37 PM
And here comes the talk...

BlackAndGold
09-15-2019, 03:45 PM
So far this season he has looked better than Ben.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
09-15-2019, 03:50 PM
So far this season he has looked better than Ben. He has and what piss me off with Ben today. Ben had Conner open all day when he didn't have anyone else open. Ben didn't even look his way.

tube517
09-15-2019, 03:52 PM
Finally a backup QB that doesn't look scared and tentative. He looks comfortable in the pocket unlike Flannel Shirt XFL dude.

BlackAndGold
09-15-2019, 03:53 PM
He has and what piss me off with Ben today. Ben had Conner open all day when he didn't have anyone else open. Ben didn't even look his way.

He had looked awful. No way around it. Is there any other starting QB that is looking as bad as Ben?

The end may be near.

JayC
09-15-2019, 03:56 PM
we are 0-2. the odds of making the playoffs when you start 0-2 is like 10% or something. i think we should roll with rudolph and find out if he's our guy or not even if ben is not injured.

Mojouw

This.

Rudolph got a one game advantage. The Seahawks prepared for one game plan and set of keys/reads from the Steelers offense. Rudolph comes in and all that goes out the window. If Ben R misses another game or 3, it will be interesting to see what defenses put in front of Rudolph and how well he digests it.

Most popular guy in town for a losing football team is the back-up QB.

He had looked awful. No way around it. Is there any other starting QB that is looking as bad as Ben?

The end may be near. Not many and they was just saying on CBS how bad Ben is playing. One thing is for sure, Monty is not helping either QB and needs to go.

Shoes
09-15-2019, 03:59 PM
Rudolph got a one game advantage. The Seahawks prepared for one game plan and set of keys/reads from the Steelers offense. Rudolph comes in and all that goes out the window. If Ben R misses another game or 3, it will be interesting to see what defenses put in front of Rudolph and how well he digests it.

No most popular guy because he has a pulse. :chuckle:

Iron Steeler
09-15-2019, 04:00 PM
I can't wait to chant RUDY RUDY RUDY in the future.

stillers4me
09-15-2019, 04:00 PM
Elsewhere, Bridgwater is in for Brees. His hand is wrapped.

Steeler-in-west
09-15-2019, 04:04 PM
Looked like Bradshaw on that second touchdown pass to Mcdonald

j-d-s
09-15-2019, 04:26 PM
I had the impression that when Rudolph went in the game plan was actually better than with Big Ben, especially in the running game. At this point I'd consider starting Rudolph regardless of whether Ben is healthy or not, at least until Rudolph struggles. But not because I think Ben is worse than Rudolph, but because the coaches' game plan for Ben is worse than the one for Rudolph.

This is basically the first time in a loooong time we had a good backup QB. I remember guys like Batch, Leftwich, Vick, Landry Jones, it was just a nightmare when Ben was injured...

Edman
09-15-2019, 04:29 PM

Except when the back up guy plays better than the starter, he is more popular. Landry Jones wasn't exactly a fan favorite even when Ben wasn't at his best.

It's funny you say "wait until more film" when Ben's own career took off just coming off the bench in Baltimore in a losing effort and playing very well in relief. As the OP said. You can either play in the NFL, or you can't. Rudolph comes in, throws a pick on his first pass that bounces right off of the stone receivers' hands, comes back and gets the Steelers back in the game. The Defense makes one stop in the 4th and we're likely talking a comeback win.

Joshua Dobbs came in against the Raiders last season and did nothing. Game advantage or no, Reindeer should be given his due. He made the throws he needed to make. He played very well.

Ben takes over again next week against San Fran.

Shoes
09-15-2019, 04:58 PM
Except when the back up guy plays better than the starter, he is more popular. Landry Jones wasn't exactly a fan favorite even when Ben wasn't at his best.

It's funny you say "wait until more film" when Ben's own career took off just coming off the bench in Baltimore in a losing effort and playing very well in relief. As the OP said. You can either play in the NFL, or you can't. Rudolph comes in, throws a pick on his first pass that bounces right off of the stone receivers' hands, comes back and gets the Steelers back in the game. The Defense makes one stop in the 4th and we're likely talking a comeback win.

Joshua Dobbs came in against the Raiders last season and did nothing. Game advantage or no, Reindeer should be given his due. He made the throws he needed to make. He played very well.

Yep, George Kettle country. :chuckle:

Shoes
09-15-2019, 05:03 PM
https://steelersdepot.com/2019/09/mason-rudolph-ready-to-take-the-wheel-should-roethlisberger-miss-next-week/

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-15-2019, 05:22 PM

Yes, kind of amusing the hate for Dobbs when he folded against Oakland last season, but Rudolph comes in and goes 12-19 for 2 TD and 1 Moncriefception and the narrative is..."the Defense didn't prepare for him". I am willing to bet that Rudolph didn't get any starter reps this week either.

Kid looks good, looked calm in the pocket in the face of some rush. Again, I thought he could be a Kirk Cousins type guy with decent arm and good decisions. Here is hoping he is that and maybe more.

Mojouw
09-15-2019, 05:45 PM

I by no means am trying to take anything away from Rudolph. I'm just not going to get too excited about 2 quarters of decent football. Does he immediately look better than Landry Jones? Yes. Am I willing to draw any conclusions about his ability to be a start in the NFL at this point? No.

Craic
09-15-2019, 06:00 PM
Yes, kind of amusing the hate for Dobbs when he folded against Oakland last season, but Rudolph comes in and goes 12-19 for 2 TD and 1 Moncriefception and the narrative is..."the Defense didn't prepare for him". I am willing to bet that Rudolph didn't get any starter reps this week either.

Kid looks good, looked calm in the pocket in the face of some rush. Again, I thought he could be a Kirk Cousins type guy with decent arm and good decisions. Here is hoping he is that and maybe more.

IMO,

Rudolph showed football IQ. I still fear his arm strength and a couple of our receivers were lit up because they had to wait for the ball to get there. But, for the most part, he makes decisions and anticipates the throw, which covered for the strength today.

I do not think he should be judged for this game as a typical NFL starter because this was his first game. So, keeping that in mind, the other thing that I noticed is something I give him a pass on today, which is that he put the ball too far out of bound to to give the receiver a chance to make a play on it a few times (had he hit those passes, I'd give him an A-). Still, better safe than sorry. And, that will come with experience.

Two of his receptions were his receivers making great plays. Washington sticks out as one of them. I think the other was JuJu (which, if he hit the passes noted above and these were more on target, I'd give him an A [no such thing as an A+]). His INT is completely Moncrief's fault. Although he had a string of receptions (eight or something in a row), most of those were very short as well, so it's not quite as great as it sounds. But, again, first NFL game and no bearing on grading him for this game.

So, all said in done, he had a solid day today. Once more, I'm not convinced on his arm strength. I am convinced, however, that he realizes the same (he's even said so as I've posted in other places) and makes up for it in other ways. Only time will tell if he continually do that.

I'd give him a B+ for today. The hospital passes and throws too far OB and his receivers helping him a little (outside of Moncrief) keep it from an A. But a B+ for a QB's first NFL game experience is much higher than I'd expect.

Steeler-in-west
09-15-2019, 07:29 PM
we are 0-2. the odds of making the playoffs when you start 0-2 is like 10% or something. i think we should roll with rudolph and find out if he's our guy or not even if ben is not injured.

This 10% success rate after starting 0-2 is really skewed by a bunch of really bad and mediocre teams. I’m still not convinced this team falls in that group.

Although at this stage alot depends on the health of Ben

Born2Steel
09-15-2019, 07:32 PM
Good job by Rudolph today. Today. He looked like he was ready when he was called. He looked ready to run this offense with at least most of the playbook open to him if not all of it. HE executed well.

teegre
09-15-2019, 07:33 PM
Rudolph’s TD pass to McDonald was beautifully executed.

edit: Dagnabbit!!! B2S just used the word executed. I wanted to use that verb!!!

Hawkman
09-15-2019, 08:25 PM
Rudolph’s TD pass to McDonald was beautifully executed.

edit: Dagnabbit!!! B2S just used the word executed. I wanted to use that verb!!!

Too slow!:heh:

steelreserve
09-15-2019, 08:57 PM
This 10% success rate after starting 0-2 is really skewed by a bunch of really bad and mediocre teams. I’m still not convinced this team falls in that group.

Although at this stage alot depends on the health of Ben

With an 0-2 start, youve basically got to go 10-4 just to make the playoffs.

Does this team look like it's going 10-4? Not anytime soon. I know it's just a couple of games, but unless these were especially misleading, we did not just lose them because of bad luck.

One touchdown by Ben in 6 quarters, and a short-field dink job that might as well have been a defensive TD at that. Regardless of whatever Rudolph does, it really seems like there's something off with Ben. I wonder if he didn't have some problem already, and today's injury was just what put it over the edge.

Fire Goodell
09-15-2019, 09:09 PM
Rudolph leads us to an unlikely win at SF next week. QB controversy will reach its tipping point then

86WARD
09-15-2019, 09:14 PM
https://steelersdepot.com/2019/09/mason-rudolph-ready-to-take-the-wheel-should-roethlisberger-miss-next-week/

Ladies and Gentlemen:

Your “no shit Sherlock” article of the week...

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-15-2019, 09:18 PM
With an 0-2 start, youve basically got to go 10-4 just to make the playoffs.

Does this team look like it's going 10-4? Not anytime soon. I know it's just a couple of games, but unless these were especially misleading, we did not just lose them because of bad luck.

One touchdown by Ben in 6 quarters, and a short-field dink job that might as well have been a defensive TD at that. Regardless of whatever Rudolph does, it really seems like there's something off with Ben. I wonder if he didn't have some problem already, and today's injury was just what put it over the edge.

So, to get back to an offseason discussion...do you think Ben's Super Bowl window is closing?

Shoes
09-15-2019, 09:21 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen:

Your “no shit Sherlock” article of the week...

Are there any of those here? :lol:

Fire Goodell
09-15-2019, 09:29 PM
So, to get back to an offseason discussion...do you think Ben's Super Bowl window is closing?

Yes, mainly cause the defense didn't become what we needed it to be. You need a defense to win in the playoffs.

That and Ben honestly isn't a top 10 qb anymore. Anyone who believes he can carry the team to a championship is living in the past

RunNGun
09-15-2019, 09:44 PM
Ben is done leading this team to any super bowls. I really feel it is time to move on and see what we have in Rudolph. If Rudolph isn't the man for the job, then we go 6-10 or worse, putting us in a position to take our next franchise QB in the draft.

Rotorhead
09-15-2019, 09:55 PM
I think Ben has lost his fire honestly. It seems like he is just going through the motions right now. Rudolph has that fire. I don’t know if it is going to change anything, but that seems to be the difference between them right now. We all know Ben is a baller, he can make the throws and extend the plays, but as we saw today Rudolph can move the ball also. I am not saying replace Ben, but I am saying Rudolph looks like he can play.

steelreserve
09-15-2019, 10:17 PM

If the last two weeks are anything but an aberration, then yes. He'd be lucky to win a football game at all like that. I really think something's wrong with him that nobody was letting on. I don't know how else to explain it.

In any case, this team does not appear to be a championship-caliber team with or without Ben in elite form. Too many problems on both sides of the ball. The defense is shaky *at best* and the offense is just ok. Maybe that'll get you a wild card some years if you're lucky.

I realize we have almost 90% of the season to go and there isnanlot to find out about this team, but man. It does not look like we are on the right track from last year, and last year we were not on the right track from the year before.

Edman
09-15-2019, 10:39 PM

I think the better question is that outside of optimism, why are people still holding onto the idea that the Steelers still have a Super Bowl window in the first place.

Rotorhead
09-15-2019, 11:37 PM
I think the better question is that outside of optimism, why are people still holding onto the idea that the Steelers still have a Super Bowl window in the first place.

Because when you have a good QB, you have a SB window generally

Craic
09-16-2019, 12:12 AM
Yes, mainly cause the defense didn't become what we needed it to be. You need a defense to win in the playoffs.

That and Ben honestly isn't a top 10 qb anymore. Anyone who believes he can carry the team to a championship is living in the past
https://media1.giphy.com/media/W5Z6MzVPcijFZuBqPX/giphy.gif

Mach1
09-16-2019, 12:25 AM
I think Ben has lost his fire honestly. It seems like he is just going through the motions right now. Rudolph has that fire. I don’t know if it is going to change anything, but that seems to be the difference between them right now. We all know Ben is a baller, he can make the throws and extend the plays, but as we saw today Rudolph can move the ball also. I am not saying replace Ben, but I am saying Rudolph looks like he can play.

Maybe seeing what Rudolph did will light a fire under his ass.

Fire Goodell
09-16-2019, 12:32 AM
My bright spot of the day, NFL prime time is back!

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-16-2019, 12:37 AM

True. I still think by the time the Steelers have a new set of coordinators, Ben will be too old and his skills will diminish further. This is starting to remind me of the 1980's Steelers and its time to reload.

That being said, there is something I like about Rudolph that I didn't like about Stoudt, Malone, Brister, etc.

86WARD
09-16-2019, 05:53 AM
Are there any of those here? :lol:

:lol:

SteelersDepot always comes up with some real winners!

86WARD
09-16-2019, 05:55 AM
If the last two weeks are anything but an aberration, then yes. He'd be lucky to win a football game at all like that. I really think something's wrong with him that nobody was letting on. I don't know how else to explain it.

In any case, this team does not appear to be a championship-caliber team with or without Ben in elite form. Too many problems on both sides of the ball. The defense is shaky *at best* and the offense is just ok. Maybe that'll get you a wild card some years if you're lucky.

I realize we have almost 90% of the season to go and there isnanlot to find out about this team, but man. It does not look like we are on the right track from last year, and last year we were not on the right track from the year before.

Defense is shaky and the offense is non-existent. As it looks now...JuJu is far from a #1 WR...

Look...if these guys couldn’t get open against the slop that Seattle rolled out there in the defensive backfield, they’re not getting open anywhere but against Miami...maybe...

EzraTank
09-16-2019, 06:35 AM
Defense is shaky and the offense is non-existent. As it looks now...JuJu is far from a #1 WR...

Look...if these guys couldn’t get open against the slop that Seattle rolled out there in the defensive backfield, they’re not getting open anywhere but against Miami...maybe...

This. Juju looked like a stud when Brown was pulling 2-3 guys from coverage every game (and still got open). Now those 2-3 guys are covering him and we have NO one else that scares anyone. But at least going 5-11 this year will allow us to draft in the top 10 for a WR.

tube517
09-16-2019, 10:50 AM

Mason Rudolph era has begun

Next step is to promote Duck Dynasty to active roster and then cut Donte Monsweed?

Edman
09-16-2019, 10:55 AM
Like him or not, Mason is the man of the year now.

stillers4me
09-16-2019, 11:07 AM
Mason seems like a great young man and capable of being a great leader, and maybe even a great QB. HOFer? Let's hope.

As the Pens say....#buckleupbaby

tube517
09-16-2019, 11:08 AM
Let's hope the Rudolph to Washington connection carries over from Oklahoma St.

stillers4me
09-16-2019, 11:10 AM
And I believe the vets will rally and help him....unlike when Ben took over.

We'll see what kind of coach Tomlin really is is he can pull off a playoff berth now. I look forward to the Rudolph->Washington connection.

Steeler-in-west
09-16-2019, 11:14 AM
And I believe the vets will rally and help him....unlike when Ben took over.

We'll see what kind of coach Tomlin really is is he can pull off a playoff berth now. I look forward to the Rudolph->Washington connection.

tomlin and Butler. Defense has to really step it up now to give the young QB a Chance.

steel striker
09-16-2019, 11:15 AM
Man a lot of guys throwing dirt on Ben there was more problems with this team than Ben! The defense main the secondary can't cover anyone two weeks both Brady/Wilson carved them up. Maybe I'm wrong

stillers4me
09-16-2019, 11:35 AM

stillers4me
09-16-2019, 11:45 AM

Fire Goodell
09-16-2019, 11:46 AM

One thing I noticed about Mason is this guy's a natural leader. I think he may be one of those types of players that his teammates will want to give that extra 110% for. We'll find out soon enough, and it will be a trial by fire. SF is no joke and we historically play terrible on the west coast. I'll be a real believer if he can at least make that game competitive. Still expecting an L though, I don't expect our defense to stop Jimmy G.

steelreserve
09-16-2019, 11:49 AM
Well I'll tell you what, this sure beats the shit out of heading into Week 3 with Landry Jones and Josh Dobbs, which is where we'd be if we hadn't finally made a move for a real QB.

Fire Goodell
09-16-2019, 11:53 AM
Well I'll tell you what, this sure beats the shit out of heading into Week 3 with Landry Jones and Josh Dobbs, which is where we'd be if we hadn't finally made a move for a real QB.

If it were Landry Jones I probably would be like f-this and not even tune in. Rudolph is at least an interesting prospect, not ready to crown him, but he looks like someone who has the 'it' factor. It's making that 3rd round pick look pretty smart now. And even the Dobbs pick, you need to keep a future starter in the wings when your QB is an aging vet.

The Patriots have been doing it for a while, until they released Jimmy G (which I thought was stupid, but brady's ego might have something to do with it). If he goes down they're screwed.

Rotorhead
09-16-2019, 12:07 PM
So is Hodges on the PS still, or have we promoted him already?

fansince'76
09-16-2019, 12:09 PM
The Patriots have been doing it for a while, until they released Jimmy G (which I thought was stupid, but brady's ego might have something to do with it). If he goes down they're screwed.

A quack "trainer" and HGH milkshakes on a daily basis help too...

pczach
09-16-2019, 12:11 PM
If it were Landry Jones I probably would be like f-this and not even tune in. Rudolph is at least an interesting prospect, not ready to crown him, but he looks like someone who has the 'it' factor. It's making that 3rd round pick look pretty smart now. And even the Dobbs pick, you need to keep a future starter in the wings when your QB is an aging vet.

I thought only Ben had an ego and was selfish....... :sarcasm2:

- - - Updated - - -

A quack "trainer" and HGH milkshakes on a daily basis help too...

No...it's his diet that gives him more arm strength and mobility now that he's over 40 compared to when he came out of college. :jerkit:

86WARD
09-16-2019, 12:16 PM
Haley was on NFL Radio praising the hell out of Rudolph.

steelreserve
09-16-2019, 12:51 PM
No...it's his diet that gives him more arm strength and mobility now that he's over 40 compared to when he came out of college. :jerkit:

I've never heard of anybody eating that much dick, so I have to admit anything is possible. We're in experimental territory here, one day he could be in all the medical books.

DesertSteel
09-16-2019, 12:54 PM
Where do I get my Mason Rudolph jersey? I think he will light it up. Strangely, I'm very optimistic about this season right now. I'm not saying we're going to the playoffs but it's going to be nice to see the future..... and I think it's bright.

Shoes
09-16-2019, 01:23 PM
Where do I get my Mason Rudolph jersey? I think he will light it up. Strangely, I'm very optimistic about this season right now. I'm not saying we're going to the playoffs but it's going to be nice to see the future..... and I think it's bright.

That is how I was feeling when Rudolph came into the game yesterday. The has the smarts & the tools and I think he will pull it together. I think he will give a shot of life into the offense. Hopefully, the defense can get something together

86WARD
09-16-2019, 01:36 PM

https://shop.steelers.com/pittsburgh-steelers-mason-rudolph-replica-home-jersey

pczach
09-16-2019, 03:17 PM

I hope you're right. It's hard not to like him.

He has a lot going for him, Now we get to see what he can do against #1's and how quickly he learns and adjusts.

Go Mason!

Rotorhead
09-16-2019, 03:45 PM
To answer my own question from before Hodges is now activated from the PS

pczach
09-16-2019, 04:23 PM
I've never heard of anybody eating that much dick, so I have to admit anything is possible. We're in experimental territory here, one day he could be in all the medical books.

I'm sure that is a case study in progress!

:rofl2:

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-16-2019, 05:05 PM

Cant you just re-purpose your old Dennis Dixon jersey? Or, were you a Brian St. Pierre guy?

09-16-2019, 06:22 PM
Cant you just re-purpose your old Dennis Dixon jersey? Or, were you a Brian St. Pierre guy? Did they actually make either for sale ? Couldn't see anyone buying them other then both parents.

Six Rings
09-16-2019, 07:58 PM
IMO,

Rudolph showed football IQ. I still fear his arm strength and a couple of our receivers were lit up because they had to wait for the ball to get there. But, for the most part, he makes decisions and anticipates the throw, which covered for the strength today.

I do not think he should be judged for this game as a typical NFL starter because this was his first game. So, keeping that in mind, the other thing that I noticed is something I give him a pass on today, which is that he put the ball too far out of bound to to give the receiver a chance to make a play on it a few times (had he hit those passes, I'd give him an A-). Still, better safe than sorry. And, that will come with experience.

Two of his receptions were his receivers making great plays. Washington sticks out as one of them. I think the other was JuJu (which, if he hit the passes noted above and these were more on target, I'd give him an A [no such thing as an A+]). His INT is completely Moncrief's fault. Although he had a string of receptions (eight or something in a row), most of those were very short as well, so it's not quite as great as it sounds. But, again, first NFL game and no bearing on grading him for this game.

So, all said in done, he had a solid day today. Once more, I'm not convinced on his arm strength. I am convinced, however, that he realizes the same (he's even said so as I've posted in other places) and makes up for it in other ways. Only time will tell if he continually do that.

I'd give him a B+ for today. The hospital passes and throws too far OB and his receivers helping him a little (outside of Moncrief) keep it from an A. But a B+ for a QB's first NFL game experience is much higher than I'd expect.

I agree with this post, however Rudolph is a competitor, and seems to have leadership qualities. Neither Rivers or Brady had a huge arm. Rudolph's pocket mobility and awareness seems to have improved.

Still not sure if he can beat the blitz or fire it between two defenders.

Seems to have a good feel for screens and play action. Throws a very catchable ball. Spots the open man quickly.

I don't see a franchise QB here, but he could be the next Foles, or a better version of O'Donnell. In other words, a QB, you can go far with as long as there is a good team around him. Also he's not 25-30 million on the cap, so if by chance Ben does not come back, we have a lot of money to spend and 3 more seasons before Rudolph gets paid big bucks.

We'll find out if we need to pick a QB high in 2020, or 2021 after this season.

steelreserve
09-16-2019, 08:01 PM
Did they actually make either for sale ? Couldn't see anyone buying them other then both parents.

You can get whatever jersey you want from the NFL shop. You could even get a Bin Laden jersey until some guy did that and made a big deal about it and they blocked it.

At one point I was THIS close to ordering a Patriots #12 jersey with "GOATSE" on the back, but then I'd be paying like $100 for a Patriots jersey, so that idea was only good in theory.

09-16-2019, 08:24 PM
You can get whatever jersey you want from the NFL shop. You could even get a Bin Laden jersey until some guy did that and made a big deal about it and they blocked it.

At one point I was THIS close to ordering a Patriots #12 jersey with "GOATSE" on the back, but then I'd be paying like $100 for a Patriots jersey, so that idea was only good in theory. Haha and by the way dig your Dick pics.

Edman
09-16-2019, 08:34 PM
Mason is just like Tom Brady in a way. A completely unsexy but accurate thrower. Both were drafted later than everyone else, with several guys drafted ahead of them. Mason didn't have the big time combine numbers, the measureables, or the highlight machine backing him up like Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield or Jackson. All of them went in the first round. Mason went in the third. To make matters worse, Mason came from the Big 12, a conference that is infamous for highly inflating big passing numbers for quarterbacks. To the scouts, Mason may as well be just another Big 12 quarterback who flops around in the NFL as a backup.

So Mason did the only thing he could do. Work his ass off in the offseason, and prove he can play in the NFL. Within a year, he shot up from #3 on the depth chart, effectively kicked previous veteran #2 Joshua Dobbs not only to #3, but off the roster completely, comes in cold off the bench and nearly leads the Steelers to a comeback win over a good Seattle Team, and now is about to start his first game.

Call me a foolish optimist, but that isn't exactly something you would expect from "just another backup Quarterback". Mason Rudolph may be more than what we think he is. This has the makings of something truly special.

teegre
09-16-2019, 08:42 PM
September 19, 2004... all over again.

09-16-2019, 08:50 PM
September 19, 2004... all over again. Also hints of 1984 when Terry hung it up cause of Elbow issues . Ps. Bradshaw A Football Life was a good watch tonight.

Edman
09-16-2019, 09:55 PM
The Steelers just gave up a first round draft pick for next season.

They are all-in on the Reindeer Sleigh.

86WARD
09-16-2019, 10:03 PM
Did they actually make either for sale ? Couldn't see anyone buying them other then both parents.

I repurposed my Bubby Brister Jersey to Ducky!

teegre
09-16-2019, 10:07 PM
The Steelers just gave up a first round draft pick for next season.

They are all-in on the Reindeer Sleigh.

You’re on the right track. It’s not yet quite right. Keep the nicknames coming...

86WARD
09-16-2019, 10:13 PM
Mason is taking this group of misfit toys and winning the reindeer games...neon nose and all...right into the shiny new year!!

Bluecoat96
09-16-2019, 10:16 PM
Not gonna lie. The fact that Rudolph posted this in his on his Instagram makes me want to see him succeed even more!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190917/e453fccb173e17eee043468079ab2a69.jpg

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

teegre
09-16-2019, 10:18 PM
Mason is taking this group of misfit toys and winning the reindeer games...neon nose and all...right into the shiny new year!!

How do I like this post twice???

86WARD
09-16-2019, 10:20 PM
You know how Walgreens and some TV show have that Red Nose Day? I think we should start a movement to wear the red nose on Sundays for Rudy!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-16-2019, 10:55 PM

At one point I was THIS close to ordering a Patriots #12 jersey with "GOATSE" on the back, but then I'd be paying like $100 for a Patriots jersey, so that idea was only good in theory.

:rofl:

I thought if you ordered up an Osama jersey, that you would get put on some kind of watch list?

09-16-2019, 11:27 PM
:rofl:

I thought if you ordered up an Osama jersey, that you would get put on some kind of watch list? No more so then buying a Colin kaepernick jersey now.

pczach
09-16-2019, 11:43 PM
You’re on the right track. It’s not yet quite right. Keep the nicknames coming...

Mason-Dixon Rudolph

Mason Rudolph Valentino

Mason to Moncrief.....Brick layer

Free Mason Rudolph

I'm already several craft beers and a few 7 and 7's in, so......

09-16-2019, 11:53 PM
Mason-Dixon Rudolph

Mason Rudolph Valentino

Mason to Moncrief.....Brick layer

Free Mason Rudolph

I'm already several craft beers and a few 7 and 7's in, so...... You forgot Mason Jarhead, Mason not Crosby and this Mason he was probably name after. Edgar Mason Rudolph was an American professional golfer who won five times on the PGA Tour.

AtlantaDan
09-17-2019, 09:14 AM
An upbeat article in The Ringer this morning - excerpts and link below

Mason Rudolph Is the Great QB Hope You Didn’t Know the Steelers Needed

Conventional wisdom says Pittsburgh is cooked without Ben Roethlisberger. Conventional wisdom didn’t see how bad Ben looked this season....

I actually think the Steelers are in better position to succeed with Rudolph than they were with an injured 37-year-old Roethlisberger at quarterback. For starters, Big Ben was abysmal in his limited playing time this season. On 62 passes, Roethlisberger had 35 completions for 351 yards and an interception, putting him 29th or worse in completion percentage, yards per attempt, passer rating, and QBR. The Steelers went on one touchdown drive in his three halves this season. That drive started on the 22-yard line and picked up 21 yards on Seahawks penalties.

In a thread last week on the Steelers needing to consider calling more play action passes I posted a link on the Steelers always being at the bottom of the league in play action calls - with Fichtner actually calling the plays now rather than sending in suggestions to Ben that may change

And throughout the game, Pittsburgh vastly increased its usage of play-action—a tool which basically always makes offenses more efficient, but has never been a staple of the offense with Roethlisberger (https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/9/3/20847182/weird-nfl-stats-2019-oddities). The Steelers, somehow, ran just one play out of play-action in their season-opening loss to the Patriots (https://twitter.com/PFF_Mike/status/1171157943661879297). Now, they realize play-action is a necessity to buy Rudolph time, and they’re running it.

Will the Steelers bounce back from 0-2 to make the playoffs? Probably not, although that has less to do with Pittsburgh going forward and more to do with the long odds it faces after starting 0-2. But the Steelers won’t be as hapless as projected with Rudolph. The Steelers will look better from Week 3 on than they did in the first two weeks of the season, and will end up better prepared for a future without Big Ben.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/9/17/20870153/mason-rudolph-ben-roethlisberger-pittsburgh-steelers-injury

DesertSteel
09-17-2019, 10:30 AM
The Mad Bomber

Squeegee Thompson
09-17-2019, 10:43 AM
Mason is just like Tom Brady in a way. A completely unsexy but accurate thrower. Both were drafted later than everyone else, with several guys drafted ahead of them. Mason didn't have the big time combine numbers, the measureables, or the highlight machine backing him up like Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield or Jackson. All of them went in the first round. Mason went in the third. To make matters worse, Mason came from the Big 12, a conference that is infamous for highly inflating big passing numbers for quarterbacks. To the scouts, Mason may as well be just another Big 12 quarterback who flops around in the NFL as a backup.

So Mason did the only thing he could do. Work his ass off in the offseason, and prove he can play in the NFL. Within a year, he shot up from #3 on the depth chart, effectively kicked previous veteran #2 Joshua Dobbs not only to #3, but off the roster completely, comes in cold off the bench and nearly leads the Steelers to a comeback win over a good Seattle Team, and now is about to start his first game.

Call me a foolish optimist, but that isn't exactly something you would expect from "just another backup Quarterback". Mason Rudolph may be more than what we think he is. This has the makings of something truly special.

I've had a hard-on for Rudolph ever since I saw this video: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap3000000919190/Watch-Mason-Rudolph-diagram-plays-for-Steve-Mariucci

His football IQ seems extremely high. Ben was never gonna be mistaken for a Mensa candidate, and he relied on his other-worldly ability to improvise on busted plays with high accuracy for a lot of his success. Mason looks like he'll be much more of a film room warrior who will succeed through hard work and discipline.

With Ben's accuracy starting to get shaky (early season rust, or was he really starting to lose it?), his end may be closer than we all realized. I'm excited to see what this kid can do after getting a full week of first-team reps.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-17-2019, 10:54 AM
I've had a hard-on for Rudolph ever since I saw this video: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap3000000919190/Watch-Mason-Rudolph-diagram-plays-for-Steve-Mariucci

His football IQ seems extremely high. Ben was never gonna be mistaken for a Mensa candidate, and he relied on his other-worldly ability to improvise on busted plays with high accuracy for a lot of his success. Mason looks like he'll be much more of a film room warrior who will succeed through hard work and discipline.

With Ben's accuracy starting to get shaky (early season rust, or was he really starting to lose it?), his end may be closer than we all realized. I'm excited to see what this kid can do after getting a full week of first-team reps.

Yeah, he seemed to have a good session with Mooch in that video. The QB2QB 30minute show with Russell Wilson was very good as well. Here is a brief part of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yykC0mY04TA

Fire Goodell
09-17-2019, 11:29 AM
The Mad Bomber

David Decastro did call him a 'Mad man' in one of his interviews, that could work lol

Mojouw
09-17-2019, 11:30 AM
The Mad Bomber

Daryle Lamonica says no. Although hardly anyone remembers the 1960's - including the guys who played then -- so maybe yes?

AtlantaDan
09-17-2019, 11:40 AM
Andy Benoit at SI.com on the Steelers running a different offense for Rudolph now that the iso routes which were not working with this receiving corps will be dumped

In the first half of Pittsburgh’s 28–26 loss at Seattle (https://www.si.com/nfl/game/2142175/box-score), the Steelers’ passing game lacked any hint of timing or rhythm. Their passing games occured mostly out of spread formations, including the empty sets that Roethlisberger loves, which isolated the receivers and compelled them to win one-on-one. The problem is that only one of them can—third-year WR JuJu Smith-Schuster....

When Rudolph took over in the second half, Pittsburgh’s passing game suddenly looked professional....

You wouldn’t think the passing game would get more complex once the veteran QB went down. But even though Roethlisberger can conduct any offense, he presumably has a predilection for simpler routes, as they’re friendly to his unique sandlot tendencies....

[W]ith Pittsburgh’s callow wide receiving corps, it appears the only chance for offensive success is through scheme.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/09/17/mason-rudolph-steelers-starting-quarterback-ben-roethlisberger-injured
(https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/09/17/mason-rudolph-steelers-starting-quarterback-ben-roethlisberger-injured)
Steelers track record of consistently drafting good to great receivers may have led to some overconfidence that the offense would not need to adapt to the current crew's shortcomings, assuming Ben's arm wasn't shot already before the elbow blew out.

Fire Goodell
09-17-2019, 11:41 AM
^ Not only Juju, James Washington burned his guy a lot of times and Ben just flat out missed him. But yeah no AB really hampers the effectiveness of 5-wide

Mojouw
09-17-2019, 12:28 PM
Andy Benoit at SI.com on the Steelers running a different offense for Rudolph now that the iso routes which were not working with this receiving corps will be dumped

In the first half of Pittsburgh’s 28–26 loss at Seattle (https://www.si.com/nfl/game/2142175/box-score), the Steelers’ passing game lacked any hint of timing or rhythm. Their passing games occured mostly out of spread formations, including the empty sets that Roethlisberger loves, which isolated the receivers and compelled them to win one-on-one. The problem is that only one of them can—third-year WR JuJu Smith-Schuster....

When Rudolph took over in the second half, Pittsburgh’s passing game suddenly looked professional....

You wouldn’t think the passing game would get more complex once the veteran QB went down. But even though Roethlisberger can conduct any offense, he presumably has a predilection for simpler routes, as they’re friendly to his unique sandlot tendencies....

[W]ith Pittsburgh’s callow wide receiving corps, it appears the only chance for offensive success is through scheme.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/09/17/mason-rudolph-steelers-starting-quarterback-ben-roethlisberger-injured
(https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/09/17/mason-rudolph-steelers-starting-quarterback-ben-roethlisberger-injured)
Steelers track record of consistently drafting good to great receivers may have led to some overconfidence that the offense would not need to adapt to the current crew's shortcomings, assuming Ben's arm wasn't shot already before the elbow blew out.

I've been thinking this for several weeks now. They gotta change something, because without AB it wasn't working.

AtlantaDan
09-17-2019, 12:35 PM
I've been thinking this for several weeks now. They gotta change something, because without AB it wasn't working.

I knew the receivers were having trouble getting open.

But by being at the game Sunday and being able to watch what was going on in the secondary, rather than simply what the broadcast shows, it was stunning how nobody was getting open even after Ben was doing his standard scan the field while keeping the play alive routine that worked for years and had plenty of time

Mojouw
09-17-2019, 12:53 PM
I knew the receivers were having trouble getting open.

But by being at the game Sunday and being able to watch what was going on in the secondary, rather than simply what the broadcast shows, it was stunning how nobody was getting open even after Ben was doing his standard scan the field while keeping the play alive routine that worked for years and had plenty of time

Even as good or potentially good as some of the WRs they have on the roster are, they just aren't capable of lining up and creating separation on their own. Combine that with Ben's preference for throwing once a guy breaks open, not before and whoa boy...it looked bad.

The switch to Rudolph may cause a scheme/gameplan change that lifts all boats. Not because Rudolph is better, but because the scheme fits the players more.

Also, prior to Rudolph, 10-15% play action, post-Rudolph 30+% play action. Welcome to 2019 Steelers passing game.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-17-2019, 12:59 PM
^ Not only Juju, James Washington burned his guy a lot of times and Ben just flat out missed him. But yeah no AB really hampers the effectiveness of 5-wide

Interesting. In the offseason there was a lot of sentiment on this board that guys like AB, Mike Wallace, Manny Sanders, Santonio Holmes, etc were made good receivers by Ben. Now there seems to be some belief that an allegedly talented WR like AB makes the QB look good.

I guess we will see going forward if this group of WR is just terrible and cant even be improved by a future HOF QB, then what should we really expect from a 2nd year guy with no experience?

Fire Goodell
09-17-2019, 01:03 PM
Interesting. In the offseason there was a lot of sentiment on this board that guys like AB, Mike Wallace, Manny Sanders, Santonio Holmes, etc were made good receivers by Ben. Now there seems to be some belief that an allegedly talented WR like AB makes the QB look good.

I guess we will see going forward if this group of WR is just terrible and cant even be improved by a future HOF QB, then what should we really expect from a 2nd year guy with no experience?

Honestly I thought this year they were going to move to a more balanced attack with Conner / Samuels and getting McDonald more involved. Disappointed that this hasn't happened yet. Fitch is quick to abandon the run

Mojouw
09-17-2019, 01:14 PM

I think both can be correct if you make the scenario a bit more nuanced. A HOF QB can make guys better. But a passing attack can also be hampered by asking WRs to do things they are not capable of doing (yet?) at an NFL level. Going 5 wide kinda turns every WR into an "X" and they don't get motion, alignment, or other assistance in beating their guy off the LOS and gaining separation by the top of their route. AB was/is the best in the business at doing exactly that. So he clearly helped with that. Then it cascades on down. Juju beats up on slot DBs. Bryant/Deep Threat gets singled up across the formation from AB with no safety help over the top. Etc. Etc. Etc. The HOF QB picks apart the mismatches and coverage gaps with well placed and timely throws, making all the WRs even better. Remove the guy who can "always be open" despite 1-3 defenders being sent to his side of the field, and now it is simply far harder for everyone else.

I know that you know this stuff. And I think we can assume most others do as well. The NFL is hard and there are no single variable answers.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-17-2019, 01:14 PM
Honestly I thought this year they were going to move to a more balanced attack with Conner / Samuels and getting McDonald more involved. Disappointed that this hasn't happened yet. Fitch is quick to abandon the run
Yeah, the Steelers actually had a higher YPC than the Seahawks last week, but only rushed it half as much. I really don't know what to think of an inexperienced OC like Fichtner with a 2nd year QB that he has to gameplan for.

86WARD
09-17-2019, 01:53 PM

There’s that SCHEME word again...

It’s what I’ve been saying the routes are too simple. Glad to see they are going to scheme guys open...coaches gonna coach. Earn a paycheck!

Mojouw
09-17-2019, 03:07 PM
There’s that SCHEME word again...

It’s what I’ve been saying the routes are too simple. Glad to see they are going to scheme guys open...coaches gonna coach. Earn a paycheck!

I think the difficulty and the trick to all this will be that you have QB A who wants to play in offensive style 1 and QB B who wants/needs to play in offensive style 2.

"Scheming" for that is challenging. Having your WRs all get on the same page for that is also a big challenge. Should be an interesting ride.

Recently there have been two ways to play high level QB in the NFL. The one school is the Favrian "Gunslinger" School - get open and I will get the ball to you. This is currently best exemplified by Rogers and Roethlisberger and Wentz. They excelled at making big throws into small windows to really talented WRs. This is what everyone means when they talk about this type of QB needing to have "confidence" in his guys. It is the faith that they can shake a DB in the 2-3 seconds the QB wants to get the ball out in. The other is a the Montana "Be Precise" School - you better darn well run your route right and get your head around because when I hit my back foot the ball is coming out. Best examples right now are Brady and Goff. This may be the type of offense that Rudolph needs to play in. Don't need a cannon for an arm, because it is about timing and placement rather than throwing the ball through a brick wall.

I don't really know. This is just the caffeine fueled ramblings of one guy...

AtlantaDan
09-17-2019, 03:22 PM
Yeah, the Steelers actually had a higher YPC than the Seahawks last week, but only rushed it half as much. I really don't know what to think of an inexperienced OC like Fichtner with a 2nd year QB that he has to gameplan for.

The 30% play action in the second half (double the usual Steelers play action %) may indicate Fichtner has some thoughts on how he would like to game plan that were only regarded as suggestions by the QB who got him hired as OC.

Dissolv
09-17-2019, 03:53 PM
The 30% play action in the second half (double the usual Steelers play action %) may indicate Fichtner has some thoughts on how he would like to game plan that were only regarded as suggestions by the QB who got him hired as OC.

I was thinking exactly the same thing.

vader29
09-17-2019, 04:36 PM
https://i.ibb.co/pRgLW4Y/70233018-10219558544655978-1815502849480589312-n.jpg

86WARD
09-17-2019, 05:01 PM
I think the difficulty and the trick to all this will be that you have QB A who wants to play in offensive style 1 and QB B who wants/needs to play in offensive style 2.

"Scheming" for that is challenging. Having your WRs all get on the same page for that is also a big challenge. Should be an interesting ride.

Recently there have been two ways to play high level QB in the NFL. The one school is the Favrian "Gunslinger" School - get open and I will get the ball to you. This is currently best exemplified by Rogers and Roethlisberger and Wentz. They excelled at making big throws into small windows to really talented WRs. This is what everyone means when they talk about this type of QB needing to have "confidence" in his guys. It is the faith that they can shake a DB in the 2-3 seconds the QB wants to get the ball out in. The other is a the Montana "Be Precise" School - you better darn well run your route right and get your head around because when I hit my back foot the ball is coming out. Best examples right now are Brady and Goff. This may be the type of offense that Rudolph needs to play in. Don't need a cannon for an arm, because it is about timing and placement rather than throwing the ball through a brick wall.

I don't really know. This is just the caffeine fueled ramblings of one guy...

I think you’re 100% correct and I think we will hopefully see a little different offense with Rudolph in there. One that gets him the ball and get it out of his hand with receivers running routes to get open.

Fire Goodell
09-18-2019, 11:48 AM
I think he's gonna take some teams by surprise and actually make the offense less predictable. He supposedly knows the whole playbook and is a film junkie. A player said he's in the film room "A lot more than some starters", which I don't know if it was a backhanded shot at Ben, but in any case I like how this guy takes the game and preparation very seriously.

Washington also said that Rudolph had basically no hobbies in college other than football, and would call him randomly to drill him on some cues and plays. Sounds like the kind of guy who will succeed in the NFL.

DesertSteel
09-18-2019, 12:26 PM
He's got arm talent, brains and poise. Hmmmm.... for me he passes the eye test. I'm no professional scout, but I'm usually dead on with QBs. Last year when everybody was singing Trubisky's praises, I knew he was a bum from watching him one game. I'll know a lot more about Rudolph after Sunday when he's prepared to start and the 49s have prepared to stop him. But so far I like what I see. I have my Rudolph jersey in the cart, I'm just waiting till after Sunday before I click checkout.

Shoes
09-18-2019, 01:03 PM
I think he has a bright future as the Steeler #1QB.

Shoes
09-18-2019, 01:33 PM
Moncrief on Mason he said Mason has a different mindset

Starts @1:34 if you don't what to hear why he can't catch

https://www.steelers.com/video/moncrief-on-recent-struggles

Edman
09-18-2019, 10:32 PM
He's got arm talent, brains and poise. Hmmmm.... for me he passes the eye test. I'm no professional scout, but I'm usually dead on with QBs. Last year when everybody was singing Trubisky's praises, I knew he was a bum from watching him one game. I'll know a lot more about Rudolph after Sunday when he's prepared to start and the 49s have prepared to stop him. But so far I like what I see. I have my Rudolph jersey in the cart, I'm just waiting till after Sunday before I click checkout.

Not to rain on anything, but Mason Rudolph has a very average arm. His throws tend to float, which resulted in Conner getting smashed twice Sunday. The Steelers have to make some adjustments to pass routes to prevent that from happening. We will not be seeing 400-500 yard passing efforts and endless deep shots out of Rudolph. This is what I mentioned earlier about Mason being "unsexy".

When you look at him, he looks like a very average Quarterback. Nothing stands out about him. No highlight reels. No crazy measurables to speak of. Meh Combine Numbers. He's not a freak athlete. He doesn't have a cannon arm. He's not even that big despite being 6'5. He's just a tall QB. Mason makes up for this shortcomings by just working harder than everyone else. That's how he beat the "highlight reel" Joshua Dobbs. What I said earlier about Mason isn't totally true. There is something that stands out about him. He is very accurate. Scarily accurate.

Don't be surprised that down the road you will hear derisions that Mason is a "System QB" who "dinks and dunks" all the time, because that what most likely what he is. A clone of Tom Brady.

Mojouw
09-18-2019, 11:55 PM
https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/mason-rudolph-pittsburgh-steelers-oklahoma-state-cowboys-contextualized-quarterbacking-2018-nfl-draft

Interesting read.

Fire Goodell
09-18-2019, 11:58 PM
Not to rain on anything, but Mason Rudolph has a very average arm. His throws tend to float, which resulted in Conner getting smashed twice Sunday. The Steelers have to make some adjustments to pass routes to prevent that from happening. We will not be seeing 400-500 yard passing efforts and endless deep shots out of Rudolph. This is what I mentioned earlier about Mason being "unsexy".

When you look at him, he looks like a very average Quarterback. Nothing stands out about him. No highlight reels. No crazy measurables to speak of. Meh Combine Numbers. He's not a freak athlete. He doesn't have a cannon arm. He's not even that big despite being 6'5. He's just a tall QB. Mason makes up for this shortcomings by just working harder than everyone else. That's how he beat the "highlight reel" Joshua Dobbs. What I said earlier about Mason isn't totally true. There is something that stands out about him. He is very accurate. Scarily accurate.

Don't be surprised that down the road you will hear derisions that Mason is a "System QB" who "dinks and dunks" all the time, because that what most likely what he is. A clone of Tom Brady.

Joe Montana and Peyton Manning never had rocket arms either but they had crazy accuracy (and Peyton was an obsessed student of the game). I'll take accuracy over a cannon any day.

Case in point as you mentioned, Dobbs. Crazy athletic talent that will do stuff to get you jumping out of your seat at times, but if you can't complete a 5-10 yard pass consistently you won't last very long in this league.

86WARD
09-19-2019, 05:13 AM

Mike Vick had a strong arm. He sucked. Newton has a strong arm, Flacco has a strong arm, Jay Cutler had a strong arm...arm strength isn’t always necessarily the be all end all...

teegre
09-19-2019, 06:50 AM
Fichtner called a better game once Rudolph went in. “Necessity is the mother of invention.” They needed to taper the gameplan to Rudolph’s strengths and/or incorporate plays where Rudolph would be successful. He dinked. He dunked. He scored two TDs (and led them to a FG). I’ll take it.

Shoes
09-19-2019, 07:37 AM
Fichtner called a better game once Rudolph went in. “Necessity is the mother of invention.” They needed to taper the gameplan to Rudolph’s strengths and/or incorporate plays where Rudolph would be successful. He dinked. He dunked. He scored two TDs (and led them to a FG). I’ll take it.

So will I.

AtlantaDan
09-19-2019, 07:39 AM
Fichtner got to call the game once Rudolph went in. “Necessity is the mother of invention.” They needed to taper the gameplan to Rudolph’s strengths and/or incorporate plays where Rudolph would be successful. He dinked. He dunked. He scored two TDs (and led them to a FG). I’ll take it.

Fixed that for you:wink02:

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-19-2019, 09:28 AM

I wonder how the gameplan vs execution discussion applies here? It normally seems that players are given credit for success for the plays they make, while coaches are blamed for failure when there is lack of success. Did Rudolph just execute the gameplan better than Ben because he wasn't hampered by a nagging arm issue?

My opinion is that Rudolph being a young guy in the offense will tend to go thru his reads like the plays are designed, while Ben may make up his mind where he wants to go with the ball and skip reads because he knows where the best matchups would be. Either way, I'm going to be interested to see how the Steelers deal with the adversity, because they have no option but to deal with it.

Edman
09-19-2019, 10:24 AM
It also all starts up front on the Offensive Line.

The Steelers cannot Bruce Arians Mason Rudolph's career like they did with Ben's early career. It doesn't matter how good Rudolph possibly is. The O-Line has to be stout. Even Tom Brady cannot handle a weak Offensive Line. It's by far his greatest weakness. Look at what neglect of the Offensive Line did to the Colts. It cost them the most sure-fire Quarterback prospect in Generations. Andrew Luck was a damn good quarterback, but it didn't matter. The Colts completely fucked him over.

What is encouraging is Rudolph has a very quick release, isn't a complete statue and doesn't default to backyard. That should help him at lot. But I can just hope the O-Line can hold up for him.

If Rudolph is to even have a chance of success and be the future of the franchise, the O-Line has to do its job. Too many times have we seen "franchise saviors" thrown to the wolves, only to completely fail because the pieces are just not there.

Let Rudolph use his accurate throws to dink and dunk, get a run game moving, fucking block, and keep Donte Moncrief off the field as much as possible, the Steelers may have a chance.

86WARD
09-19-2019, 10:33 AM
It also all starts up front on the Offensive Line.

The Steelers cannot Bruce Arians Mason Rudolph's career like they did with Ben's early career. It doesn't matter how good Rudolph possibly is. The O-Line has to be stout. Even Tom Brady cannot handle a weak Offensive Line. It's by far his greatest weakness. Look at what neglect of the Offensive Line did to the Colts. It cost them the most sure-fire Quarterback prospect in Generations. Andrew Luck was a damn good quarterback, but it didn't matter.

What is encouraging is Rudolph has a very quick release, isn't a complete statue and doesn't default to backyard. That should help him at lot. But I can just hope the O-Line can hold up for him.

If Rudolph is to even have a chance of success and be the future of the franchise, the O-Line has to do its job. Too many times have we seen "franchise saviors" thrown to the wolves, only to completely fail.

They ran a totally different offense. The offense they ran when Rudolph was in there was quick release, receivers run routes and the routes ran them open. With Roethlisberger, the receivers have to get open themselves and this group couldn’t do it. Part of the reason it was a disaster. AB was beyond perfect paired with Roethlisberger...so far beyond its astronomical. He would’ve been the greatest WR of All-Time had he stayed...but I digress...these WRs they have now, they aren’t excelling in that offense. I think we see a totally different passing offense this week. Just like you saw on Sunday from one half to the other...and then people are going to rag on Ben for the rest of the season...

Mojouw
09-19-2019, 11:17 AM
They ran a totally different offense. The offense they ran when Rudolph was in there was quick release, receivers run routes and the routes ran them open. With Roethlisberger, the receivers have to get open themselves and this group couldn’t do it. Part of the reason it was a disaster. AB was beyond perfect paired with Roethlisberger...so far beyond its astronomical. He would’ve been the greatest WR of All-Time had he stayed...but I digress...these WRs they have now, they aren’t excelling in that offense. I think we see a totally different passing offense this week. Just like you saw on Sunday from one half to the other...and then people are going to rag on Ben for the rest of the season...

We should just pin this post to the top of the board. It covers it all. That is almost exactly what is going to happen.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder how the gameplan vs execution discussion applies here? It normally seems that players are given credit for success for the plays they make, while coaches are blamed for failure when there is lack of success. Did Rudolph just execute the gameplan better than Ben because he wasn't hampered by a nagging arm issue?

My opinion is that Rudolph being a young guy in the offense will tend to go thru his reads like the plays are designed, while Ben may make up his mind where he wants to go with the ball and skip reads because he knows where the best matchups would be. Either way, I'm going to be interested to see how the Steelers deal with the adversity, because they have no option but to deal with it.

I think Ben and Rudolph had or were given totally different game-plans. Rudolph ran 3X's as much play-action than Ben did. I strongly think that is a trend that is going to continue.

What I will be interested to see is where the Steelers try and attack intermediate to deep. With Ben, they could do it along the boundaries with throws to the sideline. As many have noted, that really isn't Rudolph's strong suite. Wonder if they go more into the middle of the field?

86WARD
09-19-2019, 11:20 AM
We should just pin this post to the top of the board. It covers it all. That is almost exactly what is going to happen.

- - - Updated - - -

I think Ben and Rudolph had or were given totally different game-plans. Rudolph ran 3X's as much play-action than Ben did. I strongly think that is a trend that is going to continue.

What I will be interested to see is where the Steelers try and attack intermediate to deep. With Ben, they could do it along the boundaries with throws to the sideline. As many have noted, that really isn't Rudolph's strong suite. Wonder if they go more into the middle of the field?

I feel like we are going to see an offense closer to the Patriots offense then the Steelers offense. Meaning...creative route running, quick release, not a ton of deep passes but the deep ones will go towards the middle of the field (McDonald).

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-19-2019, 11:46 AM

If we think back to the preseason, we saw Rudolph go vertical to Washington and Holton down the sidelines, as well as Washington to the post vs Tenn. Also throw some 15 yard digs and check down to some short crossing routes. He can make all the throws and one of his strengths is his quick decision making. His TD to Holton vs Carolina and back shoulder TD to Washington vs Tampa were both plays he read at the LOS, seemed to know his preferred matchup and got the ball out quickly. He doesn't have the arm strength of Ben, but I think makes quicker decisions to be effective.

I expect more focus on the running game and thus more play action, similar to what we saw last Sunday. But, I don't think the Steelers will limit areas of the field to Rudolph, or change a lot of the general offense. I just think we will see more running, play action and the ball getting thrown quicker.

Fire Goodell
09-19-2019, 11:47 AM

I agree. I'm starting to think part of the problem with the offense was mostly on Ben. The guy as great as he was in his prime, is a victim of his own success, imo. He got by on his talent, and not so much on outsmarting the defense or being creative with his playcalling. Now we're seeing in the tail end of his career, he no longer has the talent to pull off those insane busted plays with the same frequency as before. He seems to still be able to extend plays, but his homerun shots are usually misses and on 3rd down, killing drives.

Also, he wants full control of the offense and playcalling like Peyton Manning did, but he's definitely not Peyton when it comes to preparation and reading coverages.

DesertSteel
09-19-2019, 12:42 PM
I expect more focus on the running game and thus more play action, similar to what we saw last Sunday.
Please!!! More play action!!!

Craic
09-19-2019, 01:47 PM
I agree. I'm starting to think part of the problem with the offense was mostly on Ben. The guy as great as he was in his prime, is a victim of his own success, imo. He got by on his talent, and not so much on outsmarting the defense or being creative with his playcalling. Now we're seeing in the tail end of his career, he no longer has the talent to pull off those insane busted plays with the same frequency as before.

I absolutely hate to agree with this because I really like Ben as a QB, but I think you may be right. That takes nothing away from him, but we may just be at that stage with him where the fight against mother nature is lost.

Squeegee Thompson
09-19-2019, 02:24 PM
I absolutely hate to agree with this because I really like Ben as a QB, but I think you may be right. That takes nothing away from him, but we may just be at that stage with him where the fight against mother nature is lost.

I'm coming around to this opinion as well. Much of my opinion of Ben is based on familiarity breeding contempt. We've effectively watched no one else play quarterback for the last 15 years, and Ben's performance had consistently been in the top tier of NFL QBs. But his slide started during the last 7 games of last season, and looked to continue into this season.

It's gotten that my eyes were seeing 'Ben's way' as the 'right way', and I could rationalize the 40 yd bombs on 3rd and 1 to matched-up receivers which fell incomplete more often than not. All it took to remove that veil was watching 2 quarters of Rudolph using play-action, showing patience in the pocket, not forcing the ball but taking what the defense offered to see that maybe Ben really was starting to become just an average QB.

Seeing the offense run with somebody new back there made me realize that our offense under Ben had become stale, predictable, and extremely stoppable. And he certainly had too much input into the play selection. As Ben started closing off much of the playbook, so did Fichtner, and we were rapidly becoming just an average team led by an aging, suddenly-average QB.

DesertSteel
09-19-2019, 02:43 PM
Killer B's ---- RIP

GoSlash27
09-19-2019, 04:38 PM
They ran a totally different offense.

Naturally. Fichtner was calling the plays instead of Big Ben.

AtlantaDan
09-19-2019, 06:20 PM
Rudolph confirms what has been posted above about big changes for the role of the Steelers QB and the OC in how a game is called

Rudolph made it clear Thursday that he will be taking orders from Fichtner, not playing the backyard football that made Big Ben so dangerous in the no-huddle offense.

“I’m not trying to reinvent the wheel. I’m going to do what’s asked of me,” Rudolph said. “There are some areas and some checks where I can have a bit of freedom, but it’s not going to be the freedom (Roethlisberger) has, not even close. And I don’t want it to be that way. I want it to be controlled by Randy, and I want to execute the plays that are called.”

https://triblive.com/sports/kevin-gorman-randy-fichtner-focused-on-saving-steelers-season/

86WARD
09-19-2019, 06:36 PM
Fichtner has to put his big boy pants on...Hope he remembers how to work...

AtlantaDan
09-19-2019, 06:44 PM

Hopefully Fichtner does not get nervous for his first full regular season game as the actual rather than figurehead OC

Edman
09-19-2019, 07:41 PM
I agree. I'm starting to think part of the problem with the offense was mostly on Ben. The guy as great as he was in his prime, is a victim of his own success, imo. He got by on his talent, and not so much on outsmarting the defense or being creative with his playcalling. Now we're seeing in the tail end of his career, he no longer has the talent to pull off those insane busted plays with the same frequency as before. He seems to still be able to extend plays, but his homerun shots are usually misses and on 3rd down, killing drives.

Also, he wants full control of the offense and playcalling like Peyton Manning did, but he's definitely not Peyton when it comes to preparation and reading coverages.

Ben can read coverages, the issue is that he lacks the discipline to take what is given him and spot the hole in the Defense. Ben is always looking for the big shot downfield. The boom play. He will wait until guys get open, and as was already mentioned, he could get away with this because of his talent and uncanny ability to extend the play and go backyard.

In the Pats game, there was one play that perfectly sums up Ben. Patriots Rush only three. Ben zeroes in on Vance McDonald downfield, but is bracketed by two Patriots in their Zone Coverage. He checks down to Moncrief who runs right into the teeth of the Defense gets a minimal gain. But if Ben were a tad more patient and disciplined, he would've spotted Switzer breaking across free to the other side of the field. Switzer found the hole in the Patriots Zone and Ben completely missed him. Belichick has frustrated Ben like this for years. He could run a Zone Defense confidently, because he knew Ben wouldn't be disciplined enough to find the hole. Put someone like Manning or Brady in that spot and it's Child's Play. A first down and perhaps more. It's frustrating plays like this, that IMO, held Ben back from greater success.

I agree that Ben's early success has been a blessing and a curse. In just his second year. Ben was the youngest player to ever win a Super Bowl, He was justifed even more by winning a second, and advancing to a third. All before turning 30 years old. That's really damn impressive and no one can EVER take that away from him. Ben is Canton-Bound.

You honestly can't blame Ben for feeling that he didn't have to show some leadership, develop his game further and just "Wing It". After all, His "Just Wing It" style brought two rings to the Steel City. As far as Ben was concerned the likes of Ken Whisenhunt, Todd Haley, and Antonio Brown had nothing to do with it, and he successfully alienated all three from the organization. It also wouldn't surprise me if he felt the same way about Coach Tomlin. Tomlin was just a nobody newcomer replacing Cowher and had nothing to do with the 2005 run, after all. Who was he to tell him what was up? Ben was a victim of his own success, and I think it cost him and the team majorly in the 2010's. It shows: 3-5 postseason record, only one AFC Title game appearance (that wasn’t even competitive), A postseason win drought from 2011-2015, embarrassing home losses in the playoffs, the inexplicable losses to bad teams, poor preparation, an hyped Offense that never played up to its real potential, the melodrama of 2017-2018, Fractured Locker room, getting pounded constantly by the Patriots, and nowhere near the same amount of success as the 2000's.

Edman
09-19-2019, 07:52 PM

The whole coaching staff actually has to do their jobs. Especially Tomlin.

Edman
09-20-2019, 12:15 AM
When you absolutely butcher the development of a potential franchise quarterback, You get Marcus Mariota tonight in Jacksonville.

Fourth different Offensive Coordinator since he was drafted #2 in 2015, and they sit back and wonder why he is so mediocre and can't get things together. He may suck. He may not. But the Titans sure as hell aren't doing him any favors.

Oh, and their O-Line is utter garbage.

86WARD
09-20-2019, 04:28 AM
When you absolutely butcher the development of a potential franchise quarterback, You get Marcus Mariota tonight in Jacksonville.

Fourth different Offensive Coordinator since he was drafted #2 in 2015, and they sit back and wonder why he is so mediocre and can't get things together. He may suck. He may not. But the Titans sure as hell aren't doing him any favors.

Their O-Line will be much better once Lewan gets back from suspension.

Mariota getting that Jason Campbell treatment...

AtlantaDan
09-20-2019, 06:17 AM

Jameis Winston #1 in the 2015 draft and Mariota #2. Even if a team drafts at the absolute top of the first round drafting a franchise QB is a crapshoot

teegre
09-20-2019, 06:46 AM

There are a lot of moving parts, and I feel that it is a mixture of all of the following:

-Ben ignoring the OC
-Rudolph doing what the OC says
-Ben ignoring checkdowns
-Rudolph focusing on high-percentage throws
-Fichtner calling different plays for Rudolph
-Ben’s arm being injured early in Week 1

Now, what percentage to assign each part... that is up for discussion.

j-d-s
09-20-2019, 01:48 PM
Well, I wouldn't call Winston and Mariota "crapshot", but both have shown that they are probably below the Dalton line (the Dalton line means franchise QB, so starting for like 10 years, named after Andy Dalton because he is the worst QB who can be considered franchise-worthy). And I don't think that we would want a QB below the Dalton line.

But as I said, Rudolph might produce better results than Ben because the playcalling will be different, including more runs, which in the 1.5 games Ben played was a problem (should've called more runs).

Squeegee Thompson
09-20-2019, 02:41 PM
The Dalton line ... is that like the Mendoza line, but for signal-callers?

AtlantaDan
09-20-2019, 03:06 PM
Well, I wouldn't call Winston and Mariota "crapshot", but both have shown that they are probably below the Dalton line (the Dalton line means franchise QB, so starting for like 10 years, named after Andy Dalton because he is the worst QB who can be considered franchise-worthy). And I don't think that we would want a QB below the Dalton line.

But as I said, Rudolph might produce better results than Ben because the playcalling will be different, including more runs, which in the 1.5 games Ben played was a problem (should've called more runs).

I used the term crapshoot with Winston and Mariota to mean any draft of a QB is an uncertain roll of the dice - only sure thing I can recall in the last 10 years was Andrew Luck and injuries did him in. More recently in 2017 someone in the Bears front office talked themselves into trading up to draft Trubisky while Mahomes was available as Lamar Jackson (who I am not yet sold on) dropped to the Ravens.

So FWIW if someone who evaluates college QBs for a living had Trubisky graded as being worthy of the #2 pick in the first round I can believe the Steelers had a first round grade on Rudolph - we will find out how the evaluation matches up with the real world starting this Sunday

j-d-s
09-20-2019, 03:19 PM
The Dalton line ... is that like the Mendoza line, but for signal-callers?
It's similar, but it is a higher level. Only long-term franchise QBs are above the Dalton line, and since there usually are around only 15 of those, the rest of the league has to come by with QBs like Winston, Mariota, Flacco etc., or Carr or Mayfield who are too young to be above the Dalton line (it's difficult for young QBs to be considered long-term franchise QBs, only those who are really great can do that, like Mahomes or Luck).

Currently above the Dalton line in my mind: Ben, Dalton, Brady, Rivers, Mahomes, Prescott, Smith (if he can recover to play at the same level as before is injury), Rodgers, Cousins, Stafford, Newton, Brees, Ryan, Wilson.
Watson and Wentz are just below it because they have not played long enough (as is the case with Goff, Garoppolo etc.). Eli Manning and Flacco used to be above the Dalton line but age has caught up to them.

tube517
09-21-2019, 04:51 PM
1175515602175311872 :lol:

Mojouw
09-21-2019, 05:03 PM
I will be watching to see where the offense goes for "shot" plays. Ben took most of his big shots along the sideline or into the "hole" between the safety and the CB, again along the sideline. If Rudolph's arm is as suspect as some reports like to paint it as, then he would be better served to make his plays between the LB and Safety level over the middle of the field. I wonder if they shift the play-calls and design a bit to get Rudolph back to what he was doing in college by throwing deep down the middle or if the continue to look for big plays along the boundary?

Edman
09-21-2019, 05:42 PM
I will be watching to see where the offense goes for "shot" plays. Ben took most of his big shots along the sideline or into the "hole" between the safety and the CB, again along the sideline. If Rudolph's arm is as suspect as some reports like to paint it as, then he would be better served to make his plays between the LB and Safety level over the middle of the field. I wonder if they shift the play-calls and design a bit to get Rudolph back to what he was doing in college by throwing deep down the middle or if the continue to look for big plays along the boundary?

Rudolph can sling a deep shot going down the sideline. Anyone in the NFL can do that. It's the deep outs where people believe his arm strength is suspect. When throwing a deep out, You have to get the ball in there or its broken up, or worse, a pick six going the other way. Mason's accuracy isn't a issue (It's probably his greatest advantage). Can the ball get there in time before the defender can react thats the concerning thing. Mason is accurate, but his throws float like balloons.

Fichtner has to figure something out about Mason. Maybe anticipatory/timing passes to the outside perhaps, shortening the pass routes maybe.

Mason is a totally different beast from Ben. He has the same size, but has nowhere near the same physical gifts and traits. This is where I'm concerned that the Steelers' bullheaded approach that will cause this teams' demise.

Mojouw
09-21-2019, 05:43 PM
Rudolph can sling a deep shot going down the sideline. Anyone in the NFL can do that. It's the deep outs where people believe his arm strength is suspect. When throwing a deep out, You have to get the ball in there or its broken up, or worse, a pick six going the other way. Mason's accuracy isn't a issue (It's probably his greatest advantage). Can the ball get there in time before the defender can react thats the concerning thing.

Fichtner has to figure something out about Mason. Maybe anticipatory/timing passes to the outside perhaps, shortening the pass routes maybe.

Mason is a totally different beast from Ben. He has the same size, but has nowhere near the same physical traits.

Pretty much.

86WARD
09-21-2019, 06:37 PM

McDonald

Craic
09-22-2019, 02:21 AM
Rudolph can sling a deep shot going down the sideline. Anyone in the NFL can do that. It's the deep outs where people believe his arm strength is suspect. When throwing a deep out, You have to get the ball in there or its broken up, or worse, a pick six going the other way. Mason's accuracy isn't a issue (It's probably his greatest advantage). Can the ball get there in time before the defender can react thats the concerning thing. Mason is accurate, but his throws float like balloons.

Mason is a totally different beast from Ben. He has the same size, but has nowhere near the same physical gifts and traits. This is where I'm concerned that the Steelers' bullheaded approach that will cause this teams' demise.

Yep. That's my exact concern. Mason can probably throw the ball into a buck at 30 yards and he also seems to make up for arm strength in anticipation. Both of those are good things. The problem comes when the ball is in the air long enough for the defense to see it and then react to come get it. The only thing that stops that is getting the ball there faster than anyone else see, adjust, and then make a play.

That said, here's hoping he goes out tomorrow and lights up the score board.

Edman
09-22-2019, 07:00 PM
Overall Solid job for Mason today. It was a tough out for him early for various reasons and got his "Welcome to the NFL" moment, but he showed poise and pulled it together, of course, once he was allowed to throw longer than five yards. A Conner fumble away from icing a huge win.

He got his first start out of the way. Not bad.

BlackAndGold
09-22-2019, 07:22 PM
Rough start but Rudolph did well enough vs a tough 49ers defense.

DesertSteel
09-23-2019, 07:55 PM
Rough start but Rudolph did well enough vs a tough 49ers defense.
I've seen Ben play worse.

I think my avatar my be like the Madden curse though...

Fire Goodell
09-23-2019, 07:57 PM
Statistically his first start was a lot better than Ben's. Unfortunately we don't have the #1 defense or the Bus to pound defenses into submission 30+ times a game

Rudolph maybe can gain some confidence finally not going up against a top tier defense in the Bengals. Credit where it's due, SF probably has one of the best front sevens in the league.

DesertSteel
09-23-2019, 07:58 PM
Statistically his first start was a lot better than Ben's. Unfortunately we don't have the #1 defense or the Bus to pound defenses into submission 30+ times a game
Better than Ben's first start and better than Ben's last start.

Fire Goodell
09-23-2019, 08:07 PM
Looking at some old game logs, my god it seems so long ago lol. It wasn't uncommon for them to pass the ball 33% of the time. I missed that, I remember always saying "You can't let the Steelers run on you, if they have success with it they'll do it ALL game". And that they did.

The Chicago game where Bettis trucked Urlacher, Ben only passed it 20 times. Bettis with 17 rushes and Parker with 21. Kreider / Verron Haynes / Randle El chipped in for 6 more rushes. Today's offense couldn't be more opposite :chuckle:

DesertSteel
09-23-2019, 09:08 PM
Yeah 17 for 22 passing was pretty common for wiz’s offense at that time.

Shoes
09-23-2019, 09:27 PM
Tom Bradys first games. It took him 5 games to get things rolling, Mason has played one full game, he's going to be fine imo.

2000 season

Brady started the season as the fourth-string quarterback, behind starter Drew Bledsoe (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drew_Bledsoe) and backups John Friesz (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Friesz) and Michael Bishop (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Bishop_(gridiron_football)); by season's end (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_NFL_season), he was number two on the depth chart behind Bledsoe.[117] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Brady#cite_note-118) During his rookie season, he was 1-for-3 passing, for six yards.[118] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Brady#cite_note-Stats-119) Tight end Rod Rutledge (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_Rutledge) caught Brady's first and only completed pass of the season in a 34–9 loss to the Detroit Lions (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Detroit_Lions_season) on November 23.[119] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Brady#cite_note-120)[120] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Brady#cite_note-121)

2001 season

With Bledsoe as the starting quarterback, the Patriots opened the season with a 23–17 road loss to the Cincinnati Bengals (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Cincinnati_Bengals_season).[118] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Brady#cite_note-Stats-119) In their second game and home opener on September 23, the Patriots squared off against their AFC East (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFC_East) rivals, the New York Jets (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_New_York_Jets_season). Bledsoe was again the starter; in the fourth quarter, he suffered internal bleeding (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_bleeding) after a hit from Jets linebacker (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linebacker) Mo Lewis (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mo_Lewis). Bledsoe returned for the next series, but was replaced with Brady for the Patriots' final series of the game. Brady completed five of ten passes for 46 yards, but New York held on to win, 10–3, and the Patriots fell to 0–2 on the season.[121] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Brady#cite_note-122) Brady was named the starter for the season's third game, against the Indianapolis Colts (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Indianapolis_Colts_season). In his first two games as starter, Brady posted unspectacular passer ratings (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passer_rating) of 79.6 and 58.7, respectively, in a 44–13 victory over the Colts (in their last season in the AFC East) and a 30–10 loss to the Miami Dolphins (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Miami_Dolphins_season).[122] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Brady#cite_note-nfl-123)[123] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Brady#cite_note-124)[124 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Brady#cite_note-125)

In the Patriots' fifth game, Brady began to find his stride. Trailing the visitingSan Diego Chargers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_San_Diego_Chargers_season) 26–16 in the fourth quarter, he led the Patriots on two scoring drives to force overtime, and another in overtime to set up a winning field goal. Brady finished the game with 33 of 54, for 364 yards, and two touchdowns, and was named AFC Offensive Player of the Week for the first time in his career.[125] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Brady#cite_note-126)[126] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Brady#cite_note-127) The following week, Brady again played well during the rematch at Indianapolis, with a passer rating of 148.3 in a 38–17 win.[127] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Brady#cite_note-128) The Patriots went on to win eleven of the fourteen games Brady started, and six straight to finish the regular season, winning the AFC East and entering the 2001–02 NFL playoffs (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001%E2%80%9302_NFL_playoffs) with a first-round bye.[128] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Brady#cite_note-129) In that stretch was a Week 11 34–17 victory over the New Orleans Saints (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_New_Orleans_Saints_season) where he was 19 of 26 for 258 passing yards and four touchdowns to earn his second AFC Offensive Player of the Week nod in 2001.[129] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Brady#cite_note-130) In Week 15, against the Miami Dolphins, he recorded a 23-yard reception from Kevin Faulk (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Faulk) on a trick play.[130] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Brady#cite_note-131) Brady finished the 2001 season with 2,843 passing yards and 18 touchdowns and earned an invitation to the 2002 Pro Bowl (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Pro_Bowl).[118] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Brady#cite_note-Stats-119)[131] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Brady#cite_note-132)

Craic
09-23-2019, 10:27 PM
Um, for everyone touting Rudolph's statistics, you do realize he only threw TWO receptions beyond the line of scrimmage, right? Look, like any other player, he need time to grow and understand the game at this level. But let's keep a little reality to the numbers here. Two receptions beyond the line of scrimmage and a 50 percent completion rate. Again, this was his first game as a starter and this year will be all about getting him experience so I expect mistakes.

But again, let's keep within the realm of reality here folks.

j-d-s
09-23-2019, 10:36 PM
I think Rudolph played pretty good against the Niners. We probably would have won the game if Tomlin hadn't insisted on playing 1935-style football in the first half, being one-dimensional and mostly run plays or short passes. The deep ball clearly is a strength of Rudolph, but the Niners D had not to account for it for most of the game because Tomlin and Fichtner were too scared to let Rudolph air it out.

I mean, we had great field position due all that takeaways but still managed only two field goals off of these. Even if Rudolph just takes three shots to the endzone in these we have at least one TD and maybe one interception but it's still 7 points compared to 6....

DesertSteel
09-23-2019, 11:46 PM
Um, for everyone touting Rudolph's statistics, you do realize he only threw TWO receptions beyond the line of scrimmage, right? Look, like any other player, he need time to grow and understand the game at this level. But let's keep a little reality to the numbers here. Two receptions beyond the line of scrimmage and a 50 percent completion rate. Again, this was his first game as a starter and this year will be all about getting him experience so I expect mistakes.

I haven't seen anyone touting him. You also realize that he doesnt call the plays, right?

Edman
09-24-2019, 12:22 AM

No one is touting him. We’re just saying he didn’t do too bad for his first real NFL action. He gave the Steelers a chance to win, and nearly did it against a stout 49er team. That’s more than what we could’ve asked for from him for his first start. Could he have done better? Yes. But the bottom line is the Steelers had a chance to win a major upset. Conner effectively ruined everything.

Mason took the blame for the loss.

Rudy is going to be fine.

86WARD
09-24-2019, 04:23 AM

By design or chaeck down? I tend to think a little of both but mostly by design.

Squeegee Thompson
09-24-2019, 11:42 AM
By design or chaeck down? I tend to think a little of both but mostly by design.

Or by situation as it unfolded. Both OTs were human turnstiles on Sunday. The pass rush was getting to Mason about the same time as the football was.

SteelersNorth
09-24-2019, 12:27 PM
No one is touting him. We’re just saying he didn’t do too bad for his first real NFL action. He gave the Steelers a chance to win, and nearly did it against a stout 49er team. That’s more than what we could’ve asked for from him for his first start. Could he have done better? Yes. But the bottom line is the Steelers had a chance to win a major upset. Conner effectively ruined everything.

Mason took the blame for the loss.

Rudy is going to be fine.

You mean the defense gave him a chance with 5 turnovers.
Yes I know they gave 2 back that's still a plus 3 in extra possessions he did nothing with basically.
Not saying he can't improve but he has to do more

GoSlash27
09-24-2019, 02:00 PM
You mean the defense gave him a chance with 5 turnovers.
Yes I know they gave 2 back that's still a plus 3 in extra possessions he did nothing with basically.
Not saying he can't improve but he has to do more

Well, he can only do what he's allowed to do. They'll open up the playbook as they gain confidence in him. He made a lot of progress in this first start, going from 3 and outs to 3rd down conversions to sustained drives. I'm sure our offense will become more productive as the season progresses, but defenses will also get more film to study.

86WARD
09-25-2019, 06:04 PM
Just a thought but what if it’s just a case of the rest of the league not letting poor Rudolph win any NFL games?

pczach
09-25-2019, 06:21 PM
Just a thought but what if it’s just a case of the rest of the league not letting poor Rudolph win any NFL games?

….......then one foggy Christmas Eve, Santa came to say......

86WARD
09-25-2019, 06:40 PM
….......then one foggy Christmas Eve, Santa came to say......

Maybe he’d excel in a game like the fog bowl?

DesertSteel
09-26-2019, 12:14 AM
Cant you just re-purpose your old Dennis Dixon jersey? Or, were you a Brian St. Pierre guy?
Strangely enough, I never got a Dixon jersey... what was I thinking??

Craic
09-26-2019, 02:02 AM

:buttkick:

:chuckle:

09-26-2019, 04:07 AM
Strangely enough, I never got a Dixon jersey... what was I thinking?? I'm getting my Willie Parker jersey back out thanks to Minkah and will put masking tape over Parker. Ps. I refuse to support the NFL and buy any of their merchandise so this will work.

43Hitman
09-26-2019, 05:04 AM
I'm getting my Willie Parker jersey back out thanks to Minkah and will put masking tape over Parker. Ps. I refuse to support the NFL and buy any of their merchandise so this will work.

http://www.thenamechanger.com/about.html

Just do this. I'm changing my Bell jersey to a Woodson jersey.

09-26-2019, 05:18 AM
http://www.thenamechanger.com/about.html

Just do this. I'm changing my Bell jersey to a Woodson jersey. Haha and cool and thanks for the link! Ps. Bell will never be a HOF like Woodson so good call!

DesertSteel
09-30-2019, 02:31 PM
There’s so much negativity about Rudolph’s potential in these threads. I don’t think anyone on here knows who has what it takes to be a great quarterback. For that matter, there’s very few NFL HC’s or GM’s that know. Guys like Minshew and Allen are showing they have what it takes. There’s first round busts at the position every year. I’ll form my opinion on MR a little more after tonight but all these negative takes really mean nothing.

Squeegee Thompson
09-30-2019, 03:15 PM
There’s so much negativity about Rudolph’s potential in these threads. I don’t think anyone on here knows who has what it takes to be a great quarterback. For that matter, there’s very few NFL HC’s or GM’s that know. Guys like Minshew and Allen are showing they have what it takes. There’s first round busts at the position every year. I’ll form my opinion on MR a little more after tonight but all these negative takes really mean nothing.

Maybe for Rudolph to be successful, he needs to start rocking a lip-worm like Gardner Fumanchu II.

Fire Goodell
09-30-2019, 03:24 PM
Gardener Minshew, some 6th round QB who quickly becomes a savior... hmm, sounds familiar

Mojouw
09-30-2019, 03:29 PM
Gardener Minshew, some 6th round QB who quickly becomes a savior... hmm, sounds familiar

Looking at these two scouting reports, I would actually have thought Minshew was the better prospect!

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/gardner%20-minshew?id=32194d49-4e60-4610-dc98-dcddea9bb1f6
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/mason-rudolph?id=32195255-4432-1216-a9be-28502c0847e4

Edman
09-30-2019, 10:36 PM
If tonight didn't show that Rudolph is a secondhand clone of Tom Brady, then I don't know what to tell you. Very boring but efficient. He's no renegade gunslinger. At all.

Dink and dunks and checkdowns right down the field all night, with the occasional deep shot that works.

Shoes
09-30-2019, 10:39 PM
He's making progress. I really like him.

09-30-2019, 10:41 PM
If tonight didn't show that Rudolph is a secondhand clone of Tom Brady, then I don't know what to tell you. Very boring but efficient. He's no gunslinger. At all.

Dink and dunks and checkdowns right down the field all night, with the occasional deep shot that works. Agreed and the QB I thought he mimic and his style and also a pretty boy. Chics going to bandwagon fans cause of Rudolph.

FrancoLambert
09-30-2019, 10:42 PM
Just left his postgame press conference on steelers.com...impressive kid, lots of poise.

Craic
09-30-2019, 10:55 PM
He was given the role of a game manager tonight. Didn't have to go out and win it. Just had to play his part. The thing is, he did. And, he played it well without any mistakes.

Was it anything truly special? Nope. Well, he had a nice decent throw downfield. A little out of sync as the WR had to go up to get it. But I've seen Ben throw worse several times in the last few years. Only one bad pass I saw tonight was the hospital pass to the RB on a checkdown. Good thing it wasn't caught.

But he was efficient, seemed to have settled in to the position a bit more, and he did make a couple of plays happen. Good for him. At this point in his development, a good game manager is all we should reasonable hope for. At least tonight he was that. Hope we get that next week as well.

(And no, I'm not saying that is what he'll be his entire career. I'm saying that's what he is now because that's the role being created for him by Fichtner. And, it worked this game. Of course, they did start sending the RBs up a few yards so the DBs had to at least climb out of the box. Good adjustment from one game to the next on that).

Shoes
09-30-2019, 10:56 PM
Tomlin - game ball to Mason