PDA

View Full Version : What would your plan be this week?

Born2Steel
09-11-2019, 12:09 PM
With all of the mistakes, miscues, miscommunication, and misery of week 1 behind us. It’s Weds of game week 2 which means putting the game plan together. The Seahawks are a run first offense but have a very capable QB in Wilson and big play threats at WR. Instead of waiting until after the game to critique what the coaches/players ‘should have done’, post some insight on how this Steelers team needs to approach this week’s game defensively.

The Seahawks defense gave up some big plays to Cincy last week to make that game much more interesting than it should have been. I don’t know much about this Seahawks defense yet other than they added 2 veteran pass rushers. Instead of the Monday morning QB approach to analysis, what would be your offensive game plan this week against the Seahawks?

I’m curious how the overall forum gameplan will or won’t differ from the actual gameplan the Steelers employ on Sunday. And sort of a ‘here’s your chance to show how it SHOULD be done’. SOUND FUN?

Fire Goodell
09-11-2019, 12:20 PM
First and foremost, Moncrief gets demoted to the bottom of the WR list. I'm not basing this off one game, I'm basing this off a horrible preseason performance as well as that last game. This is a trend and not just 'one game'. He might have looked good in team drills and football in shorts, but the guy doesn't have the physicality to be a #2 WR. Some of his drops were caught passes that were easily ripped from him by the defender. And we're not even talking about good plays by the defender, these are the types of combat catches every #2 should be able to routinely make. Some of these could turn into fumbles if the hit happens a second later. Dude is SOFT. Promote Washington to #2 (should have been already based on superior preseason performance), Switzer and Johnson as the #3 and #4.

Get McDonald involved in the passing game. Seriously. They didn't involve him in the game plan until the game was out of reach. He needs to have a part since he's one of the veterans / familiar pieces in this offense.

Scrap the empty backfield and 5 wide, I'm cool with 4-wide + Conner / Samuels in the backfield. Harder to pass against those 7 DB subpackages if a run isn't even an option. The defense needs to be kept honest, and that would help if you have a pro bowl RB in the backfield they have to account for. The 5-wide might have worked in just outright being too much heat to handle when you got AB, but you don't have AB.

Run the ball in short yardage, and I don't mean "toss to the outside when the entire defense is expecting a run". Especially when our RB is a power back and not a scatback.

More Devin Bush and less Barron. Wilson is always a threat to run and I think this could be a game where Bush will see 90% of the snaps. He's your best bet to spy Wilson and prevent those killer 1st down+ scrambles. Should be an easier assignment on a mental level than defending what Brady does, and this kid needs more experience.

Born2Steel
09-11-2019, 12:48 PM
First and foremost, Moncrief gets demoted to the bottom of the WR list. I'm not basing this off one game, I'm basing this off a horrible preseason performance as well as that last game. This is a trend and not just 'one game'. He might have looked good in team drills and football in shorts, but the guy doesn't have the physicality to be a #2 WR. Some of his drops were caught passes that were easily ripped from him by the defender. And we're not even talking about good plays by the defender, these are the types of combat catches every #2 should be able to routinely make. Some of these could turn into fumbles if the hit happens a second later. Dude is SOFT. Promote Washington to #2 (should have been already based on superior preseason performance), Switzer and Johnson as the #3 and #4.

Get McDonald involved in the passing game. Seriously. They didn't involve him in the game plan until the game was out of reach. He needs to have a part since he's one of the veterans / familiar pieces in this offense.

Scrap the empty backfield and 5 wide, I'm cool with 4-wide + Conner / Samuels in the backfield. Harder to pass against those 7 DB subpackages if a run isn't even an option. The defense needs to be kept honest, and that would help if you have a pro bowl RB in the backfield they have to account for. The 5-wide might have worked in just outright being too much heat to handle when you got AB, but you don't have AB.

Run the ball in short yardage, and I don't mean "toss to the outside when the entire defense is expecting a run". Especially when our RB is a power back and not a scatback.

More Devin Bush and less Barron. Wilson is always a threat to run and I think this could be a game where Bush will see 90% of the snaps. He's your best bet to spy Wilson and prevent those killer 1st down+ scrambles. Should be an easier assignment on a mental level than defending what Brady does, and this kid needs more experience.

Since Seattle is more of a run first team I think I agree with VW and Bush at ILB at least 80% of the snaps.(since this is a thing now).
Also agree on Moncreif to an extent. I don’t believe that was who he is. Bad game but yes promote Wash over him this week to at least send the message.
5 wide means empty backfield. Any other formation we need a RB.

Mojouw
09-11-2019, 01:04 PM
Here goes:

1. More pre-snap motion and play-action. Help the WRs and Ben identify coverage and where to go with the ball. None of these guys have yet proven they can get good separation in the NFL level. Certainly not AB or Bryant levels of open. That means the windows are going to be far smaller. Ball has to come out quicker to hit a smaller target window. So actually help your pass catchers and QB figure a few things out before the ball is snapped. You know, like every offense in the league.

2. Sean Davis plays. That fixes about a half dozen things on defense. Maybe then have Kelly play Barron's role?

3. Hargrave plays more pass rush snaps. Even at the expense of Heyward and Tuitt.

4. Conner gets more straight ahead rushing. And actually pull an interior lineman. It is the thing Decastro and Pouncey typically do best.

Fire Goodell
09-11-2019, 01:10 PM
Since Seattle is more of a run first team I think I agree with VW and Bush at ILB at least 80% of the snaps.(since this is a thing now).
Also agree on Moncreif to an extent. I don’t believe that was who he is. Bad game but yes promote Wash over him this week to at least send the message.
5 wide means empty backfield. Any other formation we need a RB.

About Moncrief, do you think his hand injury is something still affecting him? He gets the ball ripped away a little too easily, and if that doesn't change, I'm seeing more fumbles in his future. A hand injury I'd imagine would be something that affects both catching and ball security. In either case he needs to sit behind Washington based on merit alone.

steel striker
09-11-2019, 01:17 PM
Yeah correct me if I'm just about every Conner rushing attempt the other night was in the shot gun? I agree run Connor from the normal running set. More no huddle Ben seems to be better at when the offense is struggling.

Fire Goodell
09-11-2019, 01:23 PM
Yeah correct me if I'm just about every Conner rushing attempt the other night was in the shot gun? I agree run Connor from the normal running set. More no huddle Ben seems to be better at when the offense is struggling.

Pretty much. Running from the shotgun usually is effective at catching the defense off guard, but when it happens all the time, there's not much of a surprise element to it.

Shoes
09-11-2019, 01:39 PM
Here goes:

1. More pre-snap motion and play-action. Help the WRs and Ben identify coverage and where to go with the ball. None of these guys have yet proven they can get good separation in the NFL level. Certainly not AB or Bryant levels of open. That means the windows are going to be far smaller. Ball has to come out quicker to hit a smaller target window. So actually help your pass catchers and QB figure a few things out before the ball is snapped. You know, like every offense in the league.

2. Sean Davis plays. That fixes about a half dozen things on defense. Maybe then have Kelly play Barron's role?

3. Hargrave plays more pass rush snaps. Even at the expense of Heyward and Tuitt.

4. Conner gets more straight ahead rushing. And actually pull an interior lineman. It is the thing Decastro and Pouncey typically do best.

Sounds good. I never understood why they haven't used Hargrave more in pass-rushing snaps. I'd also get McDonald involved early and often.

Mojouw
09-11-2019, 01:54 PM
Notice how none of the "Fire all the incompetent coaches" crowd every comes over to these threads and posts any specifics? Weird.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds good. I never understood why they haven't used Hargrave more in pass-rushing snaps. I'd also get McDonald involved early and often.

Forgot about the TE. I should have known you would not!

Born2Steel
09-11-2019, 02:43 PM
About Moncrief, do you think his hand injury is something still affecting him? He gets the ball ripped away a little too easily, and if that doesn't change, I'm seeing more fumbles in his future. A hand injury I'd imagine would be something that affects both catching and ball security. In either case he needs to sit behind Washington based on merit alone.

Maybe. But an NFL WR is going to have sore fingers and hands. I don’t think it looked that bad of a dislocation. No surgery right?
Conner running north and south is how to use him best. Agreed.
The presnap motion to get the defense to show coverages was absent week 1. Ben’s better than that. I think we see it return this week. Agreed.
With Seattle being more run oriented I would run more true 3 DL fronts too. Use Hargrave, Alualu, and McCullers at least on some type rotation. Tough test IMO.

Mojouw
09-11-2019, 03:27 PM
https://deadspin.com/the-cowboys-look-fun-as-hell-1838044163

Good examples from the Cowboys new offense about how pre-snap motion just messes up the defense's plan. Why doesn't Pittsburgh use any of this?

HollywoodSteel
09-11-2019, 03:51 PM
Notice how none of the "Fire all the incompetent coaches" crowd every comes over to these threads and posts any specifics? Weird.
!

I was thinking the same thing, but did you really have to jinx it?

Maybe it’s good to have a few “FIRE EVERYONE!” threads to operate kind of like sticky bug strips to catch all of those posts. I just need to remember not to go to them myself. I find that when I get too much unproductive sticky negativity on my hands it becomes hard to wash off.

Edman
09-11-2019, 04:31 PM

Good examples from the Cowboys new offense about how pre-snap motion just messes up the defense's plan. Why doesn't Pittsburgh use any of this?

Because that would require some degree of preparation, which the Tomlin Steelers absolutely do not do, or at least don’t do very well.

Mike Tomlin’s M.O from the day he was hired was never one to outsmart or out X and O his opponent, or maximize his matchups, exploit opponent weaknesses or use strengths. He always coached on imposing his will and just flat out beating opponents through sheer force and matchup and pulling through to the end. He is emotional. Not cerebral.

This really works a lot when your team is far more talented than the competition, but when faced with an equally emotional opponent or talented team or a chess player like Belichick, his achilles’ heel shines through. This is why it seems every time the Steelers play proportional to the skill level of their opponent, namely “play down” to inferior teams or just get waxed by the Patriots.

Steeldude
09-11-2019, 04:32 PM
Teach fundamentals. Make sure each player knows every play backwards and forward. Run 1,000 different scenarios against defense until they understand the defense and stay disciplined. Have a plan that exposes the opponent's weaknesses. Make sure players understand that plan by re-running it at least 500 times per day.

Cancel all dancing. Focus on the game and the next play.

This will be difficult because I feel the coaching just isn't there.

Mojouw
09-11-2019, 04:47 PM
Oh. Okay. Here they are with no actual ideas or contributions.

Notice the thread title was NOT what would Tomlin or Butler or Fichtner do, but what would You do.

As usual, when tasked with actually contributing something original and focused on football specifics the loudest critics have the quietest voices.

Born2Steel
09-11-2019, 06:16 PM
Teach fundamentals. Make sure each player knows every play backwards and forward. Run 1,000 different scenarios against defense until they understand the defense and stay disciplined. Have a plan that exposes the opponent's weaknesses. Make sure players understand that plan by re-running it at least 500 times per day.

Cancel all dancing. Focus on the game and the next play.

This will be difficult because I feel the coaching just isn't there.

The Seahawks team weakness may be on the defense right now. The only reason the Bengals stayed close in that week 1 game was due to a couple big plays. Maybe the Steelers need to run to set up play action for one of those deep routes this week.
Getting everyone on defense on the same page is/should be highest priority. 2 of the Pats TDs came when Watt left the field. Watt was the defensive signal caller Sunday night. Obviously this resulted in communication breakdown.
I would keep Edmunds in the box for run support and shallow cross/flat routes.
Keep the middle run lanes clogged, Watt and Dupree need to keep outside contain, and tackle tackle tackle.

HollywoodSteel
09-11-2019, 07:18 PM

Notice the thread title was NOT what would Tomlin or Butler or Fichtner do, but what would You do.

As usual, when tasked with actually contributing something original and focused on football specifics the loudest critics have the quietest voices.

I told you you jinxed it.

But I can probably tell you what they would do. They would fire Tomlin and not even worry about who was hired to replace him. If the new coach happens to win, it was clearly the right decision. If the new coach loses, it’s still Tomlin’s fault because the new guy is losing with Tomlin’s horribly coached players, so it was still clearly the right decision.

So firing Tomlin can never be the wrong decision, no matter who replaces him. I understand Hue Jackson is available. :)

Six Rings
09-11-2019, 07:24 PM
On offense let's get back to being tough and running the football. Moncrief out, Nix in. Use McDonald. Once the ground game gets going it opens up play action. Flex Samules out once the defense puts an extra linebacker in and make them cover him.

On defense, the pass rush MUST get there as the DB's can't cover. Guard against the deep ball. Hopefully Bush and Barron play better.

GoSlash27
09-11-2019, 07:29 PM
Disclaimer: I don't claim to be an NFL head coach, nor do I claim to be one on the internet.

If it was me, my focus would be on defense. Go after Wilson with the same plan we used against Carolina last year. As long as he attempts to scramble, drill him. Hard. We'll get burned a couple times, but they will be forced to alter their plan. Once he's forced to be a pocket passer, their offense will stall.

Mojouw
09-11-2019, 07:30 PM
I told you you jinxed it.

But I can probably tell you what they would do. They would fire Tomlin and not even worry about who was hired to replace him. If the new coach happens to win, it was clearly the right decision. If the new coach loses, it’s still Tomlin’s fault because the new guy is losing with Tomlin’s horribly coached players, so it was still clearly the right decision.

So firing Tomlin can never be the wrong decision, no matter who replaces him. I understand Hue Jackson is available. :)

Hue says he really wants another shot, too. Likely super motivated. Let's do it!

NCSteeler
09-11-2019, 07:49 PM

Good examples from the Cowboys new offense about how pre-snap motion just messes up the defense's plan. Why doesn't Pittsburgh use any of this?Cause we have incompetent coaches? I'm not a coach I don't know what they need to do, but I can tell it's crap. Year after year were told it's not the coaches, but you asked why don't the Steelers do more of "that" . That's a great question

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

HollywoodSteel
09-11-2019, 07:52 PM
On offense let's get back to being tough and running the football. Moncrief out, Nix in. Use McDonald. Once the ground game gets going it opens up play action. Flex Samules out once the defense puts an extra linebacker in and make them cover him.

On defense, the pass rush MUST get there as the DB's can't cover. Guard against the deep ball. Hopefully Bush and Barron play better.

Isn’t Nix injured? Or might he actually play?

I haven’t heard what the Steelers plan to do at the FB position if Nix is hurt.

ALLD
09-11-2019, 08:31 PM
https://www.sportsfeelgoodstories.com/john-mckay-quotes/

86WARD
09-12-2019, 06:26 AM

Same reasons they don’t use play action?

86WARD
09-12-2019, 06:32 AM
Isn’t Nix injured? Or might he actually play?

I haven’t heard what the Steelers plan to do at the FB position if Nix is hurt.

Really, there is no plan. If Nix is hurt, they don’t run any FB plays on offense (that’s normal) and they find someone to replace him on special teams.

If they do want to run 21 personnel without a FB, they just motion a TE in from 12 personnel to 21. They’ve done that in the past...mostly with Heath because he could do it.

teegre
09-12-2019, 06:55 AM
On any given offensive play, someone is open and/or there is a mismatch. Last week, the Taperiots were hellbent in taking away the receivers, leaving James Conner open. I’m not sure where the “hole” will be this week, but as soon as it shows it’s ugly head, the Steelers need to attack it.

My guess would be that Bobby Wagner will eliminate that dump-off to Conner. Ergo, a cross route right behind that should be open (the Tapes dropped Hightower back into that spot early & often). I’d like for that to be targets at Vance McDonald.

All of that said, my guess... Moncrief is going to be open. And, he simply has to catch the ball.

Mojouw
09-12-2019, 08:28 AM
Same reasons they don’t use play action?

So Ben doesn’t like it? That’s the reason that’s been given in the past by the team. Same with RPO stuff.

So WRS that can’t separate and an old gunslinger that can’t throw deep anymore. No pre snap motion or disguise.

That’s a recipe for a horrendous offense.

Hopefully it was just one bad game and it gets better.

Born2Steel
09-12-2019, 08:48 AM
What is the Seahawks weakness? With only one game to look at it seems to be the deep pass. I would place a small bet we see more Steelers in a spread formation. This does play into Seattle’s ability to rush so expect Ben to take some hits.
On offense the Seahawks seem to be pretty solid. I guess their weakness would be take away the veteran WR and make them win with the run and the rookieWR? I think we really want to keep Russell contained inside the pocket too. This could be one of those tackle the catch is a decent idea. Maybe get a pick or cause a fumble. I’m a bit stuck on a good defensive plan.

86WARD
09-12-2019, 09:21 AM
So Ben doesn’t like it? That’s the reason that’s been given in the past by the team. Same with RPO stuff.

So WRS that can’t separate and an old gunslinger that can’t throw deep anymore. No pre snap motion or disguise.

That’s the thing about the Steelers pass offense. It looks very simple from the naked eye compared to say the Patriots offense. Steelers offense appears to be basic routes. If those routes aren’t open then Ben extends the play and Antonio Brown gets open. The Patriots receivers run crossing and intertwining routes, someone gets open and Brady hits them in stride of the route. The one time the Steelers tried something like this on Sunday, two of the receivers ran into each other.

I’m not sure if that’s an accurate assessment, but without analyzing film, it appears that way.

Born2Steel
09-12-2019, 09:39 AM

I’ve heard a couple takes after the all 22 released and analysts are saying WRs were getting open. Maybe not ‘college’ open but there were windows. Ben just didn’t see a lot of them. One example was a crosser to Switzer for a short gain and JuJu actually had 2 steps on his defense. Ben never looked JuJu’s direction. Plus Ben simply missed on throws too. Drops, QB not going through progressions, no real threat to run(Pats D did a good job but you still need the option), no presnap motion, all tell me this offense is still trying to gel. Still in TC/preseason mode. May take a few games to sort this out. Unfortunate.

AtlantaDan
09-12-2019, 10:53 AM

He says it is by stating he is going to try to play through the pain but setting up the justification my finger is still painful for why he cannot catch the damn ball

"[Ben Roethlisberger (http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/5536/ben-roethlisberger)'s] depending on me and I've got to make plays for him, hurt finger or not," Moncrief said. "There's nothing you can do to a dislocated finger, especially when you're a receiver. You've just got to tough out the pain and go."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27595215/steelers-moncrief-play-finger-injury

SI.com has a less charitable explnation

Moncrief continued to struggle on semi-contested catches. When privately discussing the former Colt/Jaguar, some NFL coaches whisper the word “soft.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/09/11/steelers-defense-wide-receivers-weaknesses-patriots-deep-dive

That’s the thing about the Steelers pass offense. It looks very simple from the naked eye compared to say the Patriots offense. Steelers offense appears to be basic routes. If those routes aren’t open then Ben extends the play and Antonio Brown gets open. The Patriots receivers run crossing and intertwining routes, someone gets open and Brady hits them in stride of the route. The one time the Steelers tried something like this on Sunday, two of the receivers ran into each other.

I’m not sure if that’s an accurate assessment, but without analyzing film, it appears that way.

Andy Benoit at SI.com shares your assessment

Pittsburgh’s scheme isn’t necessarily set up to help this callow receiving corps. No team spreads out into empty formations more, and many of the routes from here are isolated, with receivers expected to win—and quickly—one-on-one. The iso routes play to Ben Roethlisberger’s paradoxical proclivity for both getting the ball out immediately and extending plays, and the approach shined when built around a superstar like Antonio Brown. But if you’re a young struggling receiver, spread iso routes can be burdensome because so often finding your rhythm or regaining confidence simply comes down to whether you can get yourself open.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/09/11/steelers-defense-wide-receivers-weaknesses-patriots-deep-dive

Edman
09-12-2019, 11:24 AM

Unless you are asking a rhetorical question, I merely responded to the question you asked.

As far as I would do. I would go through and examine the strengths and weaknesses of the team and try to maximize them to their fullest. If Juju is getting doubled or the defense is cheating over to him, design a couple plays to get other people open. The Steelers actually do this, but due to a certain someone I won't mention, it makes things difficult.

Examine the opponent and see what their weaknesses are and attack that weakness. If a team is poor at run Defense, Run the ball. But it's not just merely running the ball into stacked boxes. Where are they weakest on Run Defense? Left or Right? Is the weakness to the outside? Is it behind the tackle? Is it up the middle? Sometimes poor run defenses are just poor on one side, and stout on the other.

Run more playaction. The most underrated style of passing in the NFL. James Conner/Jaylen Samuels is a threat, so make Defenses pay for him.

Constant repetition in practice.

Just a few ideas. Does it guarantee wins? No, but I think it helps a lot more than what we've been doing.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-12-2019, 11:37 AM

Moncrief continued to struggle on semi-contested catches. When privately discussing the former Colt/Jaguar, some NFL coaches whisper the word “soft.”

Dang, I never knew the reputation he had of being soft. Steelers picked up a guy in FA that practices like Tarzan, but plays like Jane. That sucks.

Mojouw
09-12-2019, 11:58 AM
Unless you are asking a rhetorical question, I merely responded to the question you asked.

As far as I would do. I would go through and examine the strengths and weaknesses of the team and try to maximize them to their fullest. If Juju is getting doubled or the defense is cheating over to him, design a couple plays to get other people open. The Steelers actually do this, but due to a certain someone I won't mention, it makes things difficult.

Examine the opponent and see what their weaknesses are and attack that weakness. If a team is poor at run Defense, Run the ball. But it's not just merely running the ball into stacked boxes. Where are they weakest on Run Defense? Left or Right? Is the weakness to the outside? Is it behind the tackle? Is it up the middle? Sometimes poor run defenses are just poor on one side, and stout on the other.

Run more playaction. The most underrated style of passing in the NFL. James Conner/Jaylen Samuels is a threat, so make Defenses pay for him.

Constant repetition in practice.

Just a few ideas. Does it guarantee wins? No, but I think it helps a lot more than what we've been doing.

That's a lot of interesting ideas. I would actually like to see the team do much of the same.

I actually think the almost total absence of play-action in the Steelers game-plans is a fire-able offense. If I was running a team and my OC wasn't using play-action, I would have him and the QB coach in my office first thing Monday to explain why not. If I didn't like the explanation, there might be a significant shake-up. Other teams that do not even run the ball, like hardly at all, are using play action and it still sucks-in linebackers and safeties. So you don't even need to run Conner and Samuels for it to work. It is the most baffling thing. I thought it was just a Haley issue, but now Fichtner is doing the same. So maybe, Ben hates it?

- - - Updated - - -

I’ve heard a couple takes after the all 22 released and analysts are saying WRs were getting open. Maybe not ‘college’ open but there were windows. Ben just didn’t see a lot of them. One example was a crosser to Switzer for a short gain and JuJu actually had 2 steps on his defense. Ben never looked JuJu’s direction. Plus Ben simply missed on throws too. Drops, QB not going through progressions, no real threat to run(Pats D did a good job but you still need the option), no presnap motion, all tell me this offense is still trying to gel. Still in TC/preseason mode. May take a few games to sort this out. Unfortunate.

I hope you guys are right. The stuff I have read and seen online, indicates that no one was getting open down the field. The big pass to Washington was really only possible because McCourty blew his assignment. I see Ben buying oodles of time in the pocket and no one being able to shake their defender. Makes me think that the raw physical ability to pull away from DBs is lacking in this WR group. Maybe Moncrief got fed the ball because he is actually fast enough to run himself "open"?

- - - Updated - - -

He says it is by stating he is going to try to play through the pain but setting up the justification my finger is still painful for why he cannot catch the damn ball

"[Ben Roethlisberger (http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/5536/ben-roethlisberger)'s] depending on me and I've got to make plays for him, hurt finger or not," Moncrief said. "There's nothing you can do to a dislocated finger, especially when you're a receiver. You've just got to tough out the pain and go."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27595215/steelers-moncrief-play-finger-injury

Andy Benoit at SI.com shares your assessment

Pittsburgh’s scheme isn’t necessarily set up to help this callow receiving corps. No team spreads out into empty formations more, and many of the routes from here are isolated, with receivers expected to win—and quickly—one-on-one. The iso routes play to Ben Roethlisberger’s paradoxical proclivity for both getting the ball out immediately and extending plays, and the approach shined when built around a superstar like Antonio Brown. But if you’re a young struggling receiver, spread iso routes can be burdensome because so often finding your rhythm or regaining confidence simply comes down to whether you can get yourself open.

The last part is what I am afraid is the cold hard truth. The offense is built on the foundation of blowing open individual match-ups and NO ONE on the current roster is capable of consistently doing that. If that is the case and the scheme is not adjusted (honestly, it almost can not be at this point. Installs happen in training camp, not the actual season) then this offense will, by flawed design, struggle most of the season.

I've never been more pessimistic about the prospects for a Steelers season. Save maybe the year Ben ate a car.

AtlantaDan
09-12-2019, 12:20 PM
The last part is what I am afraid is the cold hard truth. The offense is built on the foundation of blowing open individual match-ups and NO ONE on the current roster is capable of consistently doing that. If that is the case and the scheme is not adjusted (honestly, it almost can not be at this point. Installs happen in training camp, not the actual season) then this offense will, by flawed design, struggle most of the season.

Some additional thoughts from Bill Barnwell at ESPN.com on the offensive passing scheme not being a good match for the skill sets (or lack thereof) of the WRs

The Week 1 disasters, and predicting which could get better

Pittsburgh likely thought it would be able to take advantage of its speed against New England's cornerbacks, especially the corners who weren't Stephon Gilmore (http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/14942/stephon-gilmore). That didn't work. Roethlisberger did hit James Washington (http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/3122449/james-washington) for one 45-yard completion, but on throws 20 or more yards downfield, he was 1-of-7 with an interception and a QBR of just 4.2. None of those passes went to Juju Smith-Schuster (https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/3120348/juju-smith-schuster). While you can understand that the Steelers might be willing to sacrifice their star wideout to Gilmore in the hopes of winning one-on-one elsewhere, their receivers weren't good enough to win those matchups.

And this observation, which we will be hearing more of if the running game (which can help open up the passing game) does not get on track

I do wonder, though, whether the offensive line is going to take a step backward in 2019. As much as we talked about them losing Brown and Le'Veon Bell (https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/15825/leveon-bell) this offseason, they also quietly let offensive line coach Mike Munchak leave for the Broncos and replaced him with Shaun Sarrett, Munchak's former assistant, who became a lead positional coach for the first time. The Steelers aren't breaking in any new starters given that right tackle Matt Feiler (http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/17404/matt-feiler) started most of last season, but it's hard to imagine that the line won't suffer some after one of the best coaches in the league left town.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27593951/barnwell-week-1-disasters-predicting-which-get-better#ben

NCSteeler
09-12-2019, 12:23 PM
That's a lot of interesting ideas. I would actually like to see the team do much of the same.

I actually think the almost total absence of play-action in the Steelers game-plans is a fire-able offense. If I was running a team and my OC wasn't using play-action, I would have him and the QB coach in my office first thing Monday to explain why not. If I didn't like the explanation, there might be a significant shake-up. Other teams that do not even run the ball, like hardly at all, are using play action and it still sucks-in linebackers and safeties. So you don't even need to run Conner and Samuels for it to work. It is the most baffling thing. I thought it was just a Haley issue, but now Fichtner is doing the same. So maybe, Ben hates it?

- - - Updated - - -

I hope you guys are right. The stuff I have read and seen online, indicates that no one was getting open down the field. The big pass to Washington was really only possible because McCourty blew his assignment. I see Ben buying oodles of time in the pocket and no one being able to shake their defender. Makes me think that the raw physical ability to pull away from DBs is lacking in this WR group. Maybe Moncrief got fed the ball because he is actually fast enough to run himself "open"?

- - - Updated - - -

I've never been more pessimistic about the prospects for a Steelers season. Save maybe the year Ben ate a car.Your last statement is what kills me. Loosing a decade talent like AB in an offense based on individuals winning trh battle and they appear so far didn't I stall some changes!! Lately that is the standard. Lose Troy and make no defensive adjustment. Seriously lacking coaching staff.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Born2Steel
09-12-2019, 12:39 PM
What is the Seahawks weakness? With only one game to look at it seems to be the deep pass. I would place a small bet we see more Steelers in a spread formation. This does play into Seattle’s ability to rush so expect Ben to take some hits.
On offense the Seahawks seem to be pretty solid. I guess their weakness would be take away the veteran WR and make them win with the run and the rookieWR? I think we really want to keep Russell contained inside the pocket too. This could be one of those tackle the catch is a decent idea. Maybe get a pick or cause a fumble. I’m a bit stuck on a good defensive plan.

A big issue(BIG ISSUE) defensively is how teams run screens out to the flat so our CBs drop into that, at the same time TEs and WRs run across or a seam which matches them to one of our LBs which is advantage offense. This could be why the redzone defense looks much better than between the 20s. Usually. So...how do you plan against this defensively unless you only rush 3 and that’s going to leave running lanes wide open. Seriously, any thoughts?

Dissolv
09-12-2019, 02:36 PM
I would emphasize the run game, the play action pass, and try to turn the game into a low number of possessions/field position matters type grinder of a game. Pass when you have to, or when the odds are very, very favorable. Make the receivers block every play until there is no more talk of "soft", and they are hungry for the ball like rabid dogs. Shots down the field may be something that we have to work back into.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-12-2019, 02:41 PM
A big issue(BIG ISSUE) defensively is how teams run screens out to the flat so our CBs drop into that, at the same time TEs and WRs run across or a seam which matches them to one of our LBs which is advantage offense. This could be why the redzone defense looks much better than between the 20s. Usually. So...how do you plan against this defensively unless you only rush 3 and that’s going to leave running lanes wide open. Seriously, any thoughts?

Are you talking about RB screens to the flat or WR screens?

I think you are talking RB screen, so will address that. Opposing teams are going to try and run off the CB if in man or at least send a WR on a corner route so the CB has to cover that and then obviously slide the O line and Rb in the flat for the screen pass. Its up to the ILB on the RB side in either man or zone to read it and get out on the RB. The CB has to honor the WR pattern. Should be better with quicker ILB like Bush and Barron, but its also good if the linemen or rushing OLB recognize the passive pass blocking.

Also, if the defense runs more man on the WR and cover 2, then they can possibly commit another safety in the box and closer to LOS for screen. Honestly, zone is gonna prevent the bigger gain on screen passes, but its all about LB's that can recognize the screen and defeat the blocks of the O linemen before they happen. IMO, expecting a CB to sit and watch screens is a recipe for letting a WR run deep on a fake screen and go.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-12-2019, 02:49 PM
I would emphasize the run game, the play action pass, and try to turn the game into a low number of possessions/field position matters type grinder of a game. Pass when you have to, or when the odds are very, very favorable. Make the receivers block every play until there is no more talk of "soft", and they are hungry for the ball like rabid dogs. Shots down the field may be something that we have to work back into.

I agree. Offensively should run at the smaller DE's like Clowney and Ansah. Seattle LB's are good and fast, so run at them. That can setup shots at a secondary that is more the legion of whom nowadays. Defensively I think you play more zone, but mix up coverages. The play side ILB covers the RB and the weak side ILB( or box safety) spies and rushes Wilson on passing downs. Don't let Wilson beat you with his feet, or buy time to make the big play.

AtlantaDan
09-12-2019, 02:49 PM
I would emphasize the run game, the play action pass, and try to turn the game into a low number of possessions/field position matters type grinder of a game.

More play action would be in accordance with what most of the league is doing, but Ben is simply not that into the play action pass.

Pittsburgh was last in the league with 11% play action passes as a % of dropbacks in 2017 (league average 22%) and last again in 2018 with 12% (league average 24% with only 5 teams <20%)

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/2017-play-action-offense
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2019/play-action-offense-2018

Craic
09-12-2019, 04:21 PM
No.
Maybe, but not that much. His stats the last three years puts him in the 50 plus percent range for catches. His best year was his rookie year at 65% and his second year was his second best at 51%. So, while I would, on average expect him to catch a couple more balls than last week, that's his ceiling.

Steeler-in-west
09-12-2019, 05:36 PM
Use more nix and Conner in the backfield for short yardage.

send Moncrief deep to stretch the field. Use Conner as a dump off option on passing plays.

would consider bringing Rogers back and sending Holton to the PS. He’s probably better yac than switzer

cubanstogie
09-12-2019, 05:37 PM
I know most want to run football, me included but dalton threw for over 400 yards. I only saw bits and pieces because I was mainly watching titans vs browns and watching jets rooting for Le’Veon to get jacked up. Running on Seattle with the sure tackling Wagner may not work, bungles couldn’t at all. If Vance is not a focal point and Washington isn’t targeted frequently I will be blown away. I say go back to Ben of last year and throw for 400 yards. Shake rust off and get receivers some experience and confidence, there going to need it later in year.

Born2Steel
09-12-2019, 05:44 PM
Are you talking about RB screens to the flat or WR screens?

I think you are talking RB screen, so will address that. Opposing teams are going to try and run off the CB if in man or at least send a WR on a corner route so the CB has to cover that and then obviously slide the O line and Rb in the flat for the screen pass. Its up to the ILB on the RB side in either man or zone to read it and get out on the RB. The CB has to honor the WR pattern. Should be better with quicker ILB like Bush and Barron, but its also good if the linemen or rushing OLB recognize the passive pass blocking.

Also, if the defense runs more man on the WR and cover 2, then they can possibly commit another safety in the box and closer to LOS for screen. Honestly, zone is gonna prevent the bigger gain on screen passes, but its all about LB's that can recognize the screen and defeat the blocks of the O linemen before they happen. IMO, expecting a CB to sit and watch screens is a recipe for letting a WR run deep on a fake screen and go.

I’m talking about WR AND RB screens to the flat. Too many times over the past 3 seasons we have had CBs cover the screen while a WR or TE runs a seam or cross that has to be covered by the LB. I do not believe( or want to believe) this is schemed by the defense but a defensive alignment that offenses are taking advantage of. I expect to see this used against us again vs Seattle this weekend.

steelreserve
09-14-2019, 11:58 AM
This may be an unpopular opinion, but defensively against Seattle, I'd go with a throwback to more of the old LeBeau-style aggressive zone blitz that doesn't work against teams like New England. Russell is not the same kind of passer as Brady who beats you with quick-release precision passes to pick apart a zone. I think you want pressure and containment, force him to beat you with his arm in a way that is not what he's comfortable with. That kind of defense also does a better job stopping the run than the passive sit-back, so that's a help too. It's not like we can cover anyone anyway if that's what we commit to; we've been trying to build the personnel for that for years, but we've still just got Haden and a bunch of bullshit.

Anyway, you do that on defense and hope your offense can get a couple quick scores to further box them into predictability. A team like Seattle you can beat that way.

I legitimately don't know how you fix the offense, except hope that 10 of your 11 guys can simply play better. Simple straight-ahead running plays (possibly with an extra TE or a FB) are easier if your offensive line doesn't have its shit together, which is a real concern. I like the idea of more play action, but if for whatever reason we just can't or won't do it, I guess it can't be helped.

Born2Steel
09-14-2019, 02:20 PM
This may be an unpopular opinion, but defensively against Seattle, I'd go with a throwback to more of the old LeBeau-style aggressive zone blitz that doesn't work against teams like New England. Russell is not the same kind of passer as Brady who beats you with quick-release precision passes to pick apart a zone. I think you want pressure and containment, force him to beat you with his arm in a way that is not what he's comfortable with. That kind of defense also does a better job stopping the run than the passive sit-back, so that's a help too. It's not like we can cover anyone anyway if that's what we commit to; we've been trying to build the personnel for that for years, but we've still just got Haden and a bunch of bullshit.

Anyway, you do that on defense and hope your offense can get a couple quick scores to further box them into predictability. A team like Seattle you can beat that way.

I legitimately don't know how you fix the offense, except hope that 10 of your 11 guys can simply play better. Simple straight-ahead running plays (possibly with an extra TE or a FB) are easier if your offensive line doesn't have its shit together, which is a real concern. I like the idea of more play action, but if for whatever reason we just can't or won't do it, I guess it can't be helped.

I think that is a very popular opinion. Contain the run while bringing pressure to the QB. I believe this is exactly what this defense is built to do, but from a more base Nickel than from a base 3-4. My hope is the issue mostly falls into experience. As in NFL experience as well as playing together as a unit experience. If this is the case the defense should improve by leaps and bounds over the next 2-4 weeks.

Davis is in his 2nd season at FS. Edmunds is in his 2nd season period. Nelson new to the team/unit. Bush in his rookie season. Barron new to the team/unit. That's 5 guys the play in coverage schemes at least part-time and I think they just need time to gel as a team and at game speed. I'm optimistic this is the case and we will see improvement soon. If not...it's still a talented group for the next coaching staff to inherit.

Mojouw
09-14-2019, 02:50 PM
I think that is a very popular opinion. Contain the run while bringing pressure to the QB. I believe this is exactly what this defense is built to do, but from a more base Nickel than from a base 3-4. My hope is the issue mostly falls into experience. As in NFL experience as well as playing together as a unit experience. If this is the case the defense should improve by leaps and bounds over the next 2-4 weeks.

Davis is in his 2nd season at FS. Edmunds is in his 2nd season period. Nelson new to the team/unit. Bush in his rookie season. Barron new to the team/unit. That's 5 guys the play in coverage schemes at least part-time and I think they just need time to gel as a team and at game speed. I'm optimistic this is the case and we will see improvement soon. If not...it's still a talented group for the next coaching staff to inherit.

I actually still have a high amount of confidence in the defense for the season. It is not like there are too many defenses carrying their teams to deep playoff runs. They just need to be top half or so and should go pretty well.

On offense however, I have zero confidence in any part of it. Scratch that, I do have confidence that Switzer will continue to catch 2 yard passes.

Craic
09-14-2019, 03:20 PM

I'm not so concerned with running the ball vs. passing it. I'm concerned with finding something that works and stick to it. First thing I'd do is game plan for McDonald more. Sure, he was covered pretty good, but with that size at 6' 5", let him fight for a ball. Even it if it's on sideline patterns and slightly overthrow it so either he gets it or no one. Take advantage!

Second thing I'd do is go with the pony backfield rather than a single back. With our WR core, I'm not comfortable after JuJu and Switzer (but he's a slot or third receiver) and maybe Washington. So, go with the pony and after seeing the defense either split one out or keep them in. Honestly, we're not losing much keeping our RBs on the field rather than our 3rd, 4th, and 5th receivers.

On defense, I'm not sure. It was such a strange game last week and if you watched it close, the defense played well for a good part of the game. When your defense plays 43 plays in the first half alone, they're going to break down. This game could have easily been 48-3. But, the defense did well enough to force Brady in throwing bad throws 25% of the time according to PFR (of course, some of those could have just been Brady's mistakes, but he doesn't usually make those).

So, to be honest, I'd roll out the same defensive scheme. Let them get used to their assignments responsibilities. It's the offense that is concerning and that's where I'd spend most of my time this week.

Craic
09-14-2019, 03:27 PM
BTW FOR EVERYONE SAYING PLAY NIX MORE . . .

He is most likely out for the game after a knee injury in the first game. https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/11/steelers-fb-roosevelt-nix-knee-injury/

My guess is he hurt it early on a special-teams play and that's why we never saw him in the game. That could also be why the game plan looked much flatter that I thought it'd be.