PDA

View Full Version : Mack: Tomlin "Not Ready For Primetime"

Six Rings
09-10-2019, 04:48 AM
Mack: Tomlin "Not Ready For Primetime"
Belichick, Brady and Pats Prepared... Steelers? Not So Much

CHRIS MACK
SEPTEMBER 09, 2019 - 9:03 AM

For the better part of the last two decades, the Pittsburgh Steelers have been going to New England and getting punished for not doing their homework. After a 33-3 drubbing at the hands of the Patriots on Sunday night in Foxboro, there's no shortage of blame to go around. Especially after the way the Steelers were bent over Tom Brady's knee and spanked for a sixth time in six meetings in Foxboro.

The play-calling - especially in short yardage situations - was infuriating. The quarterback was off target often and when he did get it to his #2 wide receiver, the ball was dropped faster than you could mutter "Good grief, (Donte) Moncrief." Kameron Kelly looked every bit the part of a defensive back who was in the Alliance of American Football five months ago. The two biggest additions to the defense's supposed speed improvement, Mark Barron and Devin Bush, looked old & slow and young & inexperienced, respectively.

Not to mention that even a near-perfect effort may not have been enough given the surgical precision Brady and the New England offense showed in exploiting Pittsburgh's deficiencies and mistakes.

“We weren’t ready for prime time,” said Head Coach Mike Tomlin.

Here's the problem: Tomlin was speaking as much about himself and his staff as he was the 45 men he put out on the field.

And that is at the crux of the matter for anyone concerned that this wasn't just one game against the defending champs, and that it's a sign of more to come.

Unfortunately, we should have seen it coming. Tomlin spent most of his weekly press conference last Tuesday harping on the concept that that Week One would be part of a continued evaluation of his team, and that they couldn't concern themselves with what New England may do.

Does someone want to be the bearer of bad news and tell him that the preseason ended back in August? I'm too astonished to form words that aren't of a vulgar, four-letter variety.

Then, rather than adjusting at any point, as Brady and Patriots' Offensive Coordinator Josh McDaniels did upon seeing their first six plays scratch out just 15 yards, Tomlin sat back and watched Brady pick apart the man coverage his defense was attempting to use underneath. Asked by NBC's Michele Tafoya at halftime when his team's lead had swollen to 20-0, New England Head Coach Bill Belichick said he expected Pittsburgh to make adjustments.

Tomlin, on the other hand, told Tafoya there was no reason to make any "dramatic schematic changes."

Again, perhaps it's better that someone else mention to Coach T that the games in September count, because my rage may lead to nothing but angry, red-faced noises.

With the better part of four months to prepare, Belichick and the Patriots fashioned a game plan for every eventuality, and therefore were able to quickly adjust when it was called for. Tomlin sat around and tried to figure out what he had but never bothered to figure out what may be thrown at him.

To go into a chess match with Belichick with a bag of checkers is one thing. But to go into a chess match with Belichick without acknowledging that it's a chess match is another thing altogether.

And it's downright inexcusable.

Edman
09-10-2019, 05:03 AM
The saddest part about the article is that Bill Belichick had the audacity to respect this godawful coaching staff enough that he was expecting them make adjustments. And they did not.

Oh there’s no need to worry, though. They’ll just turn everything on like a light switch next week against the Seahawks.

86WARD
09-10-2019, 06:32 AM
Tomlin spent most of his weekly press conference last Tuesday harping on the concept that that Week One would be part of a continued evaluation of his team, and that they couldn't concern themselves with what New England may do.

This is a little concerning...no? Using a HUGE game, a game that could have playoff implications as an “evaluation game”? Really? Am I missing something?

Mach1
09-10-2019, 12:46 PM
I thought preseason was for evaluation. If Tomlin is really that clueless he needs to be gone. Not concerned with what the other team is doing to you? :doh:

Steeldude
09-10-2019, 12:51 PM
and that they couldn't concern themselves with what New England may do.

Didn't Tomlin once say they do not plan against teams?

This guy is a fool on a good day. You're facing the Patriots and you couldn't concern yourself with what they may do?

- - - Updated - - -

This is a little concerning...no? Using a HUGE game, a game that could have playoff implications as an “evaluation game”? Really? Am I missing something?

Not at all. It is classic Tomlin.

Mojouw
09-10-2019, 12:52 PM
I'm getting really sick and tired of everyone confusing process and results. Just because your defense got reamed, doesn't mean you didn't adjust.

1. Started in man coverages.
2. Played some zone - as early as the 3rd or 4th New England series. It forced a punt and everything.
3. Later in the second half there was even some classic "fire zone" or "zone blitz" stuff -- that is how you get VW and Kelly on Josh Gordon.
4. They played base, nickel, and what looked to be some dime or dollar packages.
5. Looks like on several plays they tried to pass guys off in some combination of zone and man.

Just because they got curb-stomped doesn't mean they didn't change things up. I am not certain that all of the things I listed above occurred to a great extent. I'm certainly not watching that disaster again and again to test what I think I saw. But the idea that they just ran out and played the same thing over and over again simply isn't true.

Craic
09-10-2019, 01:02 PM
I'm getting really sick and tired of everyone confusing process and results. Just because your defense got reamed, doesn't mean you didn't adjust.

1. Started in man coverages.
2. Played some zone - as early as the 3rd or 4th New England series. It forced a punt and everything.
3. Later in the second half there was even some classic "fire zone" or "zone blitz" stuff -- that is how you get VW and Kelly on Josh Gordon.
4. They played base, nickel, and what looked to be some dime or dollar packages.
5. Looks like on several plays they tried to pass guys off in some combination of zone and man.

Just because they got curb-stomped doesn't mean they didn't change things up. I am not certain that all of the things I listed above occurred to a great extent. I'm certainly not watching that disaster again and again to test what I think I saw. But the idea that they just ran out and played the same thing over and over again simply isn't true.

On top of that, we really shouldn't forget the problem wasn't the defense but the offense. The offense had something like sixteen plays in the first half and the defense was out there for over thirty some-odd plays. You simply cannot leave a defense on the field that long against a good QB. It doesn't matter how good they are, they'll break at some point and this defense isn't the best.

The problem, in my opinion isn't the game planning for this game. We've seen over the last two years that Tomlin and Comp. can and will create gamewinning gameplans (unless catches become noncatches of course). No, The problem is not letting Ben and your top WR and RB play for more than a quarter in a single preseason game.

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't Tomlin once say they do not plan against teams?

No. That was Arians talking about game planning against defenses vs. just going with the weapons they have and letting the chips fall where they may.

Mojouw
09-10-2019, 03:21 PM
On top of that, we really shouldn't forget the problem wasn't the defense but the offense. The offense had something like sixteen plays in the first half and the defense was out there for over thirty some-odd plays. You simply cannot leave a defense on the field that long against a good QB. It doesn't matter how good they are, they'll break at some point and this defense isn't the best.

The problem, in my opinion isn't the game planning for this game. We've seen over the last two years that Tomlin and Comp. can and will create gamewinning gameplans (unless catches become noncatches of course). No, The problem is not letting Ben and your top WR and RB play for more than a quarter in a single preseason game.

- - - Updated - - -

No. That was Arians talking about game planning against defenses vs. just going with the weapons they have and letting the chips fall where they may.

Agreed. Offense is far more worrisome than the defense. Pats are gonna make everyone look like crap on defense, I suspect. But that offense for the Steelers was intended to carry the team until the defense got its act together.

So disappointing that Fichtner/Ben R looked like they failed to adapt to needing an identity or actual scheme on offense. For years, this offense really didn't have much of a personality besides get it to one of the astonishing playmakers and let them do what they do. Well, there are no more astonishing playmakers. Their QB is aging and Juju and Conner are not jaw dropping freak athletes that are like video game cheat codes. So, what does this offense actually do? Are they using motion to call-out coverages? Are they gonna use play-action? Are they gonna run a # of crossing routes or four verticals to flood zones and put DBs in no-win decisions? Or are they gonna just line up in 3 WR sets and hope one of their WRs can just roast his DB?

Based on Sunday, it seems like it is the latter. And that just isn't good enough with the "regular" NFL athletes they now have at the skill positions.

steel striker
09-10-2019, 04:33 PM
Like Mojo stated the offense was horrible and, we pretty knew Brady was going to put points up. That was a hard game to watch and, how many drops 5-6? Ben was not sharp and, could not even get one yard on the ground when it really counted.

FrancoLambert
09-10-2019, 06:19 PM
Who are we kidding?
”It wasn’t the defense, it was the offense.”
They both sucked...period.
Neither unit did it’s job.

st33lersguy
09-10-2019, 09:16 PM
And people claim this guy is the 2nd best head coach in the NFL. SMH. I'll remember this quote when people continue to argue for him being the 2nd best head coach after he goes 8-8 this year because "HeS nEvEr HaD a LoSiNg SeAsOn!"

Craic
09-11-2019, 01:54 AM
And people claim this guy is the 2nd best head coach in the NFL. SMH. I'll remember this quote when people continue to argue for him being the 2nd best head coach after he goes 8-8 this year because "HeS nEvEr HaD a LoSiNg SeAsOn!"

Well, since I'm one of the ones who touts the Never Had a Losing season, I'll assume this was directed at me. Funny how I have never said he was the second best coach, though. I have said he's one of the top 5-10 coaches. Nothing changes that.

st33lersguy
09-11-2019, 11:28 AM
Well, since I'm one of the ones who touts the Never Had a Losing season, I'll assume this was directed at me. Funny how I have never said he was the second best coach, though. I have said he's one of the top 5-10 coaches. Nothing changes that.

You aren't the only one who uses that line. Multiple posters have used both sentences in arguments, it wasn't targeted at one specific individual either

Mojouw
09-11-2019, 11:37 AM

You aren't the only one who uses that line. Multiple posters have used both sentences in arguments, it wasn't targeted at one specific individual either

What he said.

Also, it isn't like one game changes an evaluation of a player or coach. If it did, you would be the worst team in the NFL every season. Constantly over and under estimating coaches and players on a weekly basis would be the worst possibly way to run things.

However, while I still strongly believe Tomlin is a top 5-10 coach in the NFL and has been for some time, that does not mean that opinion can not change. If this season goes sideways and it is primarily because the coaching staff whiffed on an offense without staggering physical talent to off-set less than innovative schemes, then a re-assessment of Tomlin et al would be pretty clear.