PDA

View Full Version : Was there any positives to take from this game?

Fire Goodell
09-08-2019, 11:19 PM
Seriously, I want to remain optimistic, but that was the very definition of a shit show.

It seems our WRs are shit outside of Juju. Not enough weapons to make the defense pay for stacking the box to shut down the run game. Fitchner seemed scared early on to challenge the pats secondary and everything was either a 1-3 yard out or the random bomb. Nothing in the intermediate range. Moncrief I guess what his stats said he was, a mediocre 3-4 WR. He looks way too soft to work in the middle and is playing scared. Washington needs to be put in the #2 role cause this guy ain't it.

Keith Butler had his squad unprepared and totally outcoached once again. Tomlin with his famous deer in headlights expression. Well, some things never change, another blowout loss against NE. Crown their asses already, we aren't gonna beat that team now, or ever while belichick and brady are on it. good thing AB couldnt start this game or it mighta been 47-3

Devilsdancefloor
09-08-2019, 11:27 PM
the boz made a FG other than that nothing

Mojouw
09-08-2019, 11:31 PM
Every big play involved Kelly, Barron, or Bush. Gotta figure most other teams won’t be as capable as Pats at isolating and exposing those players as they get incorporated into the defense.

Bush went over instead of under on few of those pick routes. That don’t work on Sundays kid.

Kelly looked like a dude who was playing minor league football a year ago.

Barron looked like he wasn’t trusting what he was seeing and was late to react most of the first half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edman
09-08-2019, 11:32 PM
1) Boswell Made a Field Goal.
2) It's Over.

Nothing else. This is a dead team walking. There is no more high talent like Le'Veon Bell or Antonio Brown to cover up for the shortcomings of the Steelers' notoriously poor coaching, Ben aged big time tonight, like he didn't want to be there. The shit was on full display. We know the Patriots are good, but losses like this tell a lot about a team. They didn't try in the first quarter and just gave up.

At this rate, we just may see the first losing season of Mike Tomlin's tenure, which is desperately needed.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
09-08-2019, 11:39 PM
The main positive it ended. Winner father Time.

- - - Updated - - -

1) Boswell Made a Field Goal.
2) It's Over.

Nothing else. This is a dead team walking. Lol didn't see your post but agree.

- - - Updated - - -

Serious note if this team comes out like this each week. You are looking at a 4 to 6 game winning season and pathetic.

BlackAndGold
09-08-2019, 11:51 PM
That the game ended? and the fact it's just week one, but this game hurts the Steelers if they "somehow" end in a tie with the Patriots record wise. This team can't win up in New England, and both teams know it.

Also, this team always had at least one game like this where they are look completely dead and they go on to recover. This season isn't over.

one side only
09-08-2019, 11:55 PM
No, nothing.

Steeler-in-west
09-08-2019, 11:58 PM
The main positive it ended. Winner father Time.

- - - Updated - - -

Lol didn't see your post but agree.

- - - Updated - - -

Serious note if this team comes out like this each week. You are looking at a 4 to 6 game winning season and pathetic.

if the Steelers go 4-6 wins the coaching will be dead man walking. They don’t have ‘locker Room’ distractions to blame this time, I’m assuming the players in general will be next in the blame game

Steeldude
09-09-2019, 01:20 AM
Tomlin is still the HC, so yeah, nothing.

Craic
09-09-2019, 01:24 AM
Tomlin is still the HC, so yeah, nothing.

You remind me of the guy I met flying to Pittsburgh in 2008 for the 75th anniversary game when the Steelers thumped the Ravens on MNF. The guy looked me in the eyes and told me he still didn't believe Ben R. was a good QB for the Steelers.

Steeldude
09-09-2019, 02:26 AM
You remind me of the guy I met flying to Pittsburgh in 2008 for the 75th anniversary game when the Steelers thumped the Ravens on MNF. The guy looked me in the eyes and told me he still didn't believe Ben R. was a good QB for the Steelers.

Did the Steelers win yesterday? How have they been doing lately? The same poorly coached team.

You remind of a guy I met who thought Kordell was a great QB.

HollywoodSteel
09-09-2019, 04:06 AM

I was hoping you’d tell a story about after the loss to the Eagles or something. Give me some shred of hope.

But now I have nothing. This game was an embarrassment. We don’t belong on the same field as Tom Brady or the Patriots.

I had bought into the stupid narrative about the locker room being united, and that meaning anything. It means nothing. Talent trumps all of that. There is only one thing that a locker room needs in order to be united: winning.

The ONLY saving grace from this week is that the Browns lost too. At least the analysts can’t rub it in about being right on that front.

86WARD
09-09-2019, 05:24 AM
WRs outside of Switzer are shit.

Switzer and Watt. Only two that showed up to play.

Butch
09-09-2019, 05:44 AM
I was hoping you’d tell a story about after the loss to the Eagles or something. Give me some shred of hope.

But now I have nothing. This game was an embarrassment. We don’t belong on the same field as Tom Brady or the Patriots.

I had bought into the stupid narrative about the locker room being united, and that meaning anything. It means nothing. Talent trumps all of that. There is only one thing that a locker room needs in order to be united: winning.

The ONLY saving grace from this week is that the Browns lost too. At least the analysts can’t rub it in about being right on that front.

Anyone stop to think about how that team got the talent? If they are such a "great" team why do they need to tamper with other teams players? Why does the NFL turn a blind eye to what they do? Yes we played like shit but the other team sure does get away with a lot of skirting the rules to keep themselves on an un-level playing field and the NFL refuses to do anything about it. To slightly mis-quote Dennis Green The *cheating* bastards are who we thought they were. Their cheating hasn't stopped and the NFL refuses to do a damn thing about it.

GoSlash27
09-09-2019, 06:30 AM
Positives: No serious injuries. They didn't give up. They've learned a lesson. Nowhere to go but up.

I guess that's about it.

teegre
09-09-2019, 06:41 AM
A few months back, I predicted that the Steelers would lose the opener... and then win the next 18, en route to a Lombardi. As I said back then, the positive is that the Massholes can chant, “Ya didn’t beat us!!!” and Steelers fans can still rip Tomlin for “Not being as good as Belichick.”

SUMMATION:
Everyone wins!!!

86WARD
09-09-2019, 06:49 AM
A few months back, I predicted that the Steelers would lose the opener... and then win the next 18, en route to a Lombardi. As I said back then, the positive is that the Massholes can chant, “Ya didn’t beat us!!!” and Steelers fans can still rip Tomlin for “Not being as good as Belichick.”

SUMMATION:
Everyone wins!!!

It’s not so much Tomlin...his coordinators aren’t good. Not a one of them...we will all see it when they are on Hard Knocks next year...lol.

FrancoLambert
09-09-2019, 06:56 AM
Pats up big and you still see Belichick and Brady working on the sidelines.
Belichick has a pencil tucked behind his ear and a red sharpie in hand and he’s analyzing photos and making notes.
Brady is doing the same.
You look at our sideline and Ben’s got a towel draped around his neck chatting with an assistant and Coach Cool is wearing his famous deer in the headlights expression.
No wonder that they have our number.

teegre
09-09-2019, 06:56 AM
It’s not so much Tomlin...his coordinators aren’t good. Not a one of them...we will all see it when they are on Hard Knocks next year...lol.

Fichtner fell in love with a few plays that worked last year... and stuck with them. Yes, that counter worked in November, but Belichick obviously game-planned for that play. As I said elsewhere, Conner was open on almost every single play.

Again, as I said elsewhere, on the opening defensive series, the Steelers looked intense (and forced a three-&-out). Then, they looked very passive / scared to make a mistake. If the defense played like they did on the opening series, it only gives up around 20ish. Alas...

EzraTank
09-09-2019, 07:16 AM
The only positive is that this could be the beginning of Tomlin's (and his shitty coaching staff) end.

86WARD
09-09-2019, 07:23 AM
Fichtner fell in love with a few plays that worked last year... and stuck with them. Yes, that counter worked in November, but Belichick obviously game-planned for that play. As I said elsewhere, Conner was open on almost every single play.

Again, as I said elsewhere, on the opening defensive series, the Steelers looked intense (and forced a three-&-out). Then, they looked very passive / scared to make a mistake. If the defense played like they did on the opening series, it only gives up around 20ish. Alas...

You’re right and if you look at the defenses third series, they played like they did on the first series and then it just went away...

Moose
09-09-2019, 09:42 AM
To answer the question.......HELL NO!!

Mojouw
09-09-2019, 09:43 AM

You’re right and if you look at the defenses third series, they played like they did on the first series and then it just went away...

From what I think I saw...the defense got schemed out of the planned "man" coverages they wanted to play. All those pick/rub routes to the RBs forced them more into zone. That went well as long as some combination of Kelly/Barron/Bush read their keys right. But they often did not. Kelly got straight up beat for at least 2 - maybe three touchdowns and a few other big plays. Bush and Barron got eaten alive on play-action with a crossing route behind it. It may be that Sean Davis is better/more important to this defense than any of us thought! Whatever it is, they better figure it out and FAST. Teams don't look to the boundaries for big plays anymore. So Haden and Nelson can be neutralized somewhat by just running WR's down the field. Then teams will just eat this defense alive between the hash-marks until some combination of Bush/Barron/VW/Kelly/Davis/Edmunds start making plays. Not more complicated than that.

As for the pass rush -- they doubled and more on Watt. Wynn looked every bit the 1st round OT pick he was before his injury. For some DUMB reason that I can not understand -- the Steelers refuse to let Hargrave in on the rotation with Tuitt/Heyward/Alualu when they go to their sub-package D-Line. Hargrave might actually be the best pass rusher of those 4. Let the big man eat!

On offense -- well it was just a disaster plan and simple. The running game wasn't even worth mentioning. Glad they came out and tried to establish it though. Helped set up the rest of the offense. Lack of run game got them behind the chains so often that 3rd downs were a joke. Empty set. 5 wide against NE's 7 DB alignment. Very little chance to win that for the offense. If they want their offense to be swing passes to the RB and little quick hitters to Switzer, teams are going to let them have that all day, every day. The offense did nothing with scheme, alignment, or disguise to force the Patriots defense to reset on a single play from what I remember. They ran play action once! Once! Patriots killed Steelers with play-action and that was WHILE the defense was stopping their running attack. The Steelers offense just lined up and said "here it is -- see if you can stop us". Without AB and Bell -- the offense is no longer so good they can simply line up and beat defenses like a drum. They did nothing pre-snap to make the game easier for themselves. Why not split Samuels or Conner out wide in that empty set, let the Pats put all those DBs on the field, and then run that toss play to Juju and Washington's side and see if you can run against the sub-package? Nah! Let's pass into the teeth of it. Stupidest crap I've seen in a long time.

AtlantaDan
09-09-2019, 10:57 AM
In terms of bright spots it is a reach to find anything

Ben & Tomlin have started the season with a blowout loss before (35-7 at Baltimore in 2011) and ended up making the playoffs (although that season ended with the Tebow game) - so there is that

Other than that just hope it was another doomed trip to Foxboro in which the players and coaching staff got slammed - if they lose at home Sunday to a Seattle team that was lucky to beat the Bengals then this season could spiral out of control quickly

Shoes
09-09-2019, 11:11 AM
Can't think of anything positive about that game but it sure was funny when Finney forgot the snap count.

86WARD
09-09-2019, 11:11 AM
They doubled Watt and he was still getting some pressure...lol

Steeldude
09-09-2019, 11:27 AM
They doubled Watt and he was still getting some pressure...lol

And Dupree took full advantage of it. Haha.

BlackAndGold
09-09-2019, 11:30 AM
And Dupree took full advantage of it. Haha.

My god did Wynn(left tackle) make him his bitch.

Unleash Ola please!!!

RunNGun
09-09-2019, 11:30 AM
Some optimism here...like someone else mentioned...the pick routes killed us early on...then we switched to zone for a possession and forced a punt. Brady was a step ahead of us like usual and that zone defense only worked for that possession. Predictable defense.

Here is the optimism...we have 4 new starters on defense in Barron, Kelly, Nelson, and Bush. You can tell that they didn't know how to communicate, specifically on the pick routes. They should have been switching on those routes. You can't play man and not communicate. I believe it will get better with time, but they were definitely not prepared and it was a coaching issue.

steelreserve
09-09-2019, 12:00 PM

Worth pointing out: The coordinators and position coaches have all changed at least once since Tomlin got here. There's only one constant. I don't think you can blame the same repetitive problems on bad assistants. But even if you can - by now, that just means Tomlin has a problem hiring assistants.

DesertSteel
09-09-2019, 12:04 PM
The only positive for me is that I haven't changed my expectation for the season at all. I still expect 10-11 wins. One terrible game out of the gate against the best team in football on the road isn't going to do that. That's likely the worst they will play all year. The sky has NOT fallen yet. I say they win Sunday against the Hawks.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-09-2019, 12:26 PM
I take the positives that we got to see some players and evaluate:

-Mark Barron is a 4.6 40 guy and not the coverage LB we hoped he was.
-Kam Kelly showed why Mike Hilton or Cam Sutton should be playing FS
-Steve Nelson didnt seem tested at all, so maybe he locked down his side of field
- Devin Bush looked fast, but confused at times and we still have hope for great improvement when the game slows down for him.

86WARD
09-09-2019, 12:33 PM
Worth pointing out: The coordinators and position coaches have all changed at least once since Tomlin got here. There's only one constant. I don't think you can blame the same repetitive problems on bad assistants. But even if you can - by now, that just means Tomlin has a problem hiring assistants.

You can when they keep coming from within...assistants of assistants is a recipe for disaster.

steelreserve
09-09-2019, 01:48 PM
You can when they keep coming from within...assistants of assistants is a recipe for disaster.

At this point, the people coming from within have all been Tomlin's guys for 10+ years, so what does that say?

Unless Tomlin has absolutely zero input in the hiring process, and is just taking whoever Colbert hands him (which I find highly unlikely), then this is his mess. If not, then it's Colbert's mess, and he shouldn't be let off the hook.

Bottom line, somebody fuckin' sucks at this.

stillers4me
09-09-2019, 04:04 PM
Well lookie here.........

Fire Goodell
09-09-2019, 05:04 PM

Too bad this guy's career is going to be wasted playing for shit for brains Butler

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-09-2019, 05:47 PM

He should have been covering Josh Gordon and not Vince Williams then. :doh:

Steeldude
09-09-2019, 06:20 PM
Too bad this guy's career is going to be wasted playing for shit for brains Butler

I'm curious as to where the tackles took place. Are they Foote tackles?

ALLD
09-09-2019, 06:56 PM
How long is Tomlin's extension? I don't think anybody on the current roster can read.

https://www.azquotes.com/author/10860-Chuck_Noll

https://www.azquotes.com/author/5868-Joe_Greene

86WARD
09-09-2019, 07:06 PM
He should have been covering Josh Gordon and not Vince Williams then. :doh:

He couldn’t cover Rex Burkhead...let alone Josh Gordon...lol

stillers4me
09-10-2019, 05:36 AM

So none of you actually want to hear anything positive. You just want to bitch.

One day the Steelers will get new coaches. And you'll bitch about it.

One day Ben will retire and we have a new QB. And you'll bitch about it.

86WARD
09-10-2019, 06:27 AM
To be honest...there really wasn’t anything positive in my opinion other than Ryan Switzer being Ryan Switzer and TJ Watt being dominating in the pass rush...but the defense couldn’t capitalize on him being double teamed.

I mean I guess you could say Chris Boswell is hitting 100% right now...so if that’s something to build off of...

teegre
09-10-2019, 06:58 AM
The Taperiots didn’t even attempt a pass at Steven Nelson. Is he that good? I doubt it... but, it is indeed a sign that he’s better than what we’ve had out there in recent years.

That said, the obvious plan was to split the RBs out and take advantage of the ILBs. So, maybe Tom Brady didn’t bother looking at Nelson’s man. Yep, probably so. Still, for Nelson’s man to not be targeted at all can be a positive (if it is indeed scenario 1).

Squeegee Thompson
09-10-2019, 09:56 AM
The only positive for me is we've seen this storyline before:

Ben plays sparingly in the preseason and comes out in Week 1 looking rusty, old and tired. Then he steps on the gas and looks like a pro-bowler by Week 2 or 3.

Tomlin 'does what he does' and eases into the season with a lame, predictable, uninspired game plan and takes it in the shorts. This seemingly lights a fire under his and the coordinators' sleeping asses and he actually gets the team ready to look NFL-caliber by again, Week 2 or 3. It seems to be the same script year over year. Whether it's the Ravens embarrassing us in prime time, or the Cheatriots doing for the 437th time in Foxborough, Tomlin never seems to make any adjustments and it becomes like Groundhog Day.

We've got the Seahawks coming up at home who just got done making the Bengals look relevant, and the the Niners who are currently a rudderless JV team. A couple of thumpings and this game will be firmly in the rear view mirror.

Rotorhead
09-10-2019, 10:34 AM
Watt is getting better, unfortunately Dupree couldnt take advantage of it and beat a rookie tackle to get any pressure on Brady

Washington caught a pass, unfortunately we kept feeding it to Moncrief across the middle where he dropped 90% of his targets. Why can’t we use Washington that way? He is big and would be a beast across the middle and difficult for ILBs to cover. You know, what pretty much EVERY other team in the NFL does, create mismatches with big fast WRs across the middle against ILBs who can’t cover them?

We got this game out of the way, don’t have to see them again this reg season, in a few games this one will be forgotten and over.

Steeler-in-west
09-10-2019, 10:44 AM
The more I read about this game the more I understand that as Tomlin said, this team (coaches and players) were not ready. Seems like a testing the waters preseason game - which is ridiculous, the team wasn’t prepared for prime time against the patriots? - that’s a fireable offense in most professions.

But as a positive it means they haven’t played their best football yet - so there’s that at least

Mojouw
09-10-2019, 11:27 AM
Watt is getting better, unfortunately Dupree couldnt take advantage of it and beat a rookie tackle to get any pressure on Brady

Washington caught a pass, unfortunately we kept feeding it to Moncrief across the middle where he dropped 90% of his targets. Why can’t we use Washington that way? He is big and would be a beast across the middle and difficult for ILBs to cover. You know, what pretty much EVERY other team in the NFL does, create mismatches with big fast WRs across the middle against ILBs who can’t cover them?

We got this game out of the way, don’t have to see them again this reg season, in a few games this one will be forgotten and over.

Well to do that they would need to use pre-snap motion, play-action, and like half a disguise. All things Ben hasn't done in like 10 years.

WOuld be really nice to see.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-10-2019, 11:43 AM

Washington has build up speed, more than quick speed off the line. He worked at the slot in Senior Bowl and I don't think he has any issue with it. Honestly, I think its gonna take Ben losing confidence in Moncrief in order for him to look elsewhere.

All thru training camp, OTA, preseason ….we heard Ben say great things about Moncrief and it seemed like he was more a fan of what he could be instead of Washington. Washington got more reps with Dobbs and Rudolph than Ben and I think Ben's favorite targets are JuJu, Switzer and Moncrief. If he sees that Moncrief cant hang onto a football, then its gonna move to McDonald and/or Washington.

DesertSteel
09-10-2019, 12:14 PM
If he sees that Moncrief cant hang onto a football, then its gonna move to McDonald and/or Washington.
Is McDonald still even on the team?? So much for needing another TE. They don’t use the one they have.

Born2Steel
09-10-2019, 12:41 PM
TJ Watt was the defensive signal caller. Thoughts?

tube517
09-10-2019, 01:46 PM
TJ Watt was the defensive signal caller. Thoughts?

Was that just for this game since Bush is a rookie? Isn't that job eventually going to Bush? :noidea:

Hawkman
09-10-2019, 05:21 PM
Was that just for this game since Bush is a rookie? Isn't that job eventually going to Bush? :noidea:

Yes

Six Rings
09-10-2019, 07:34 PM
Was there any positives to take from this game?
It only counts as one loss?

DesertSteel
09-10-2019, 07:44 PM
The positive is that we beat them last year and it made zero difference on the season. Ultimately, losing to them will likely have the same result. Move on.

pczach
09-11-2019, 10:54 AM
The positive is that we beat them last year and it made zero difference on the season. Ultimately, losing to them will likely have the same result. Move on.

Agreed.

It's only one loss. Panic should only start if they start stacking losses.

FrancoLambert
09-11-2019, 11:51 AM
I don’t see how blasting your team after a pitiful performance is panicking.
Yeah, it was only one loss but I cannot see any legitimate positive sign to take from this game.

Fire Goodell
09-11-2019, 12:09 PM
I don’t see how blasting your team after a pitiful performance is panicking.
Yeah, it was only one loss but I cannot see any legitimate positive sign to take from this game.

After a 33-3 thrashing, I think blasting the team's performance is just 'pointing out the obvious' :chuckle:

If it were a 33-27 or 7-3 loss, or even a 33-17 loss, heck, you can at least say something went right. but 33-3 = nothing went right. No offense, no defense, they were beat in every phase of the game.

tube517
09-11-2019, 02:56 PM
Agreed.

Cool Shades, is that you? :cool: :chuckle: :tomlinism:

vasteeler
09-11-2019, 03:05 PM
After a 33-3 thrashing, I think blasting the team's performance is just 'pointing out the obvious' :chuckle:

If it were a 33-27 or 7-3 loss, or even a 33-17 loss, heck, you can at least say something went right. but 33-3 = nothing went right. No offense, no defense, they were beat in every phase of the game.

Bull crap. We made a field goal... Lol

Fire Goodell
09-11-2019, 06:09 PM
Bull crap. We made a field goal... Lol

There we have it. Game Ball: Boswell, he didn't miss :chuckle:

86WARD
09-11-2019, 06:17 PM
Agreed.

It’s one loss yes. It’s also the same pattern that led to multiple losses last season...for me, that’s the more concerning thing.

Born2Steel
09-11-2019, 06:22 PM
Maybe if we had started the season off vs juggernauts like Miami and Arizona we would feel better about the effort.

HollywoodSteel
09-11-2019, 07:02 PM
One positive is that we didn’t play down to a lesser opponent. We just failed to play up to a better one. :)

pczach
09-12-2019, 11:16 AM
It’s one loss yes. It’s also the same pattern that led to multiple losses last season...for me, that’s the more concerning thing.

That's why I said that if it leads to stacking losses, clearly something is wrong.

One loss is one loss. It's pretty straightforward.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-12-2019, 11:31 AM
That's why I said that if it leads to stacking losses, clearly something is wrong.

I'm confused. Is one loss, just one loss, or is it a pattern similar to last season? :huh: Can one game be considered a pattern due to multiple plays in the game, or is it a singular event and therefore not a pattern?

86WARD
09-12-2019, 11:33 AM

You don’t fear that it’s carry over from 2018? Looked far too much like last year to me...

AtlantaDan
09-12-2019, 11:38 AM
That after the obligatory road loss in Foxboro the Steelers only play 2 of the next 8 games on the road @49ers and @Chargers

Edman
09-12-2019, 11:40 AM
Agreed.

It isn't the loss people are concerned about. The Steelers have lost countless games before just as pitiful as this one, its the issues that were in that loss, that lead to the team previously stacking losses. The complete and utter lack of preparation. The bad communication and confusion on Defense. Bad Tackling. Its the typical traits of a Tomlin-coached team.

pczach
09-12-2019, 08:31 PM
It isn't the loss people are concerned about. The Steelers have lost countless games before just as pitiful as this one, its the issues that were in that loss, that lead to the team previously stacking losses. The complete and utter lack of preparation. The bad communication and confusion on Defense. Bad Tackling. Its the typical traits of a Tomlin-coached team.

Please stop saying that there is "The complete and utter lack of preparation".

That is completely false and just plain wrong. Maybe the preparation didn't work, but there was and always will be preparation going into a game. People that claim that don't know what they are talking about.

I understand that fans are disappointed and pissed at their performance in the first game. I am too. But let's not make up things that aren't true to fit the narrative you are trying to create.

Mojouw
09-12-2019, 09:15 PM
Please stop saying that there is "The complete and utter lack of preparation".

That is completely false and just plain wrong. Maybe the preparation didn't work, but there was and always will be preparation going into a game. People that claim that don't know what they are talking about.

I understand that fans are disappointed and pissed at their performance in the first game. I am too. But let's not make up things that aren't true to fit the narrative you are trying to create.

Yeah. A bad plan you spent weeks working on is still a great deal of preparation. In all seriousness. It is possible to put in the time and still fail for a variety of reasons.