PDA

View Full Version : What Fueled The 70's Steelers Dynasty ? NOT "Under The Radar".

SteelerEmpire
09-29-2010, 12:49 AM
As I sit and read so many discussions and commentaries surrounding the Pittsburgh Steelers I can't help but notice a single phrase that keeps repeating itself over and over again without fail; and that phrase is "under the radar".

Under the radar ? What does it mean ? In the context of Steeler football it means: to be ignored when repute is warranted, to be called short when you are tall, to be called blue when you are green, to be called bad when you are good.

But what is the physics and logic of 'under the radar' ? To me it means you basically do good when your not noticed, and then basically do bad after you have worked hard and toiled to make a name for yourself...this process then repeats itself over and over... in other words your "running laps" or "running in circles" (some of you who are familiar with this term's religious definition already know what I mean). So you never show your full potential or in the US Army's words, "Be all you can be."

This whole concept led me to think about the atmosphere that the 70's Steelers developed and actually thrived in. The Steelers were a team that went 'under the radar' (for good reason) for close to the first 40 yrs of their existence... then came Chuck Noll. We already know what he did, so I won't re-elaborate. But too many don't know, or forgot, the type resistance the team faced in the decade of the 70's... It was all Packers or Cowboys !!!

There was so much adoration for Vince Lombardi's team, the Green Bay Packers, and 'America's Team', the Dallas Cowboys, that some back-water 40 yr losing unit called the Pittsburgh Steelers caught the temperament of the nation off guard. Fast forward, the Steelers were 'under the radar' ONLY the year leading up to that first Super Bowl title in 74-75. After that... no more under the radar (man I don't like those 3 words).

If there was any type of motivation that drove the 70's Steelers the biggest was THAT SO MANY PEOPLE HATED THIS TEAM !!! Cowboys fans, Packers fans, Bears fans, Colts fans, Minnesota fans... etc... It was just sure HATE of the Steelers (sound familiar ?) that was so thick in the air you could see it !!! Almost out of nowhere the 'nobody' Steelers took over the NFL. That ticked some pretty big names in sports off to (again, sound familiar ?). Why just ask the "stupid, dumb, retarded" Terry Bradshaw (and those were some of the lighter terms thrown his way)... the whole team went through it. Now we have Ben, the 'Rapist' ... if you listen to and believe BS stories surrounding the issue. That's on top of "paying the refs" and 70's Steroid ridicule... and I can go on. We can't get no respect.

After the world saw what the Steelers could do after that first SB win, then the 2nd, there was no more 'under the radar'. There was just pure, cold, up-front 'disdain'... pure and simple. And Lambert and Co. made them (the haters) eat it for Sunday dinner countless times... it was the Steelers primary source of motivation. The HATE of the team... 'under dogs' they were not.

I submit that there are "plenty" of Steeler fans today. After 6 Super Bowl titles there should be... but THERE IS NO OTHER SINGLE FRANCHISE MORE HATED as well !!! ...still the same after all these years.

Man. Why do so many people "absolutely" hate the Steelers, and now even their fans - Steeler Nation, today ?

The Hatred, the Hatred... vs the Love of the Steeler Nation

Animal Mother
09-29-2010, 07:47 AM
Good post. I for one felt guilty for boasting about how we were number 1 in all these power rankings. I think part of the "under the radar" mentality is you want to feel like we are always the humble underdogs. When people start noticing you it is harder to capture that underdog feeling.

43Hitman
09-29-2010, 08:00 AM
Good post. I for one felt guilty for boasting about how we were number 1 in all these power rankings. I think part of the "under the radar" mentality is you want to feel like we are always the humble underdogs. When people start noticing you it is harder to capture that underdog feeling.

I think that's what SteelerEmpire is saying. That it's time to shed the underdog feeling and capture that aggressor feeling, the feeling of the Steelers boot on the opponents neck.

chenzzo
09-29-2010, 08:26 AM
I think that's what SteelerEmpire is saying. That it's time to shed the underdog feeling and capture that aggressor feeling, the feeling of the Steelers boot on the opponents neck.

I couldn't agree more. IF you know you're the best, play like it every week. Dominate and don't rely on the whole "they said we couldn't win, but we did" thing. Instead go with "They were afraid we'd win, and we did."

smokin3000gt
09-29-2010, 12:58 PM
KILLLLL 'EM!!!!!

Butch
09-29-2010, 02:42 PM
Interesting post to say the least. It reminds me of what I heard from a cryboy sports analyst here in San Antonio and it makes sense. He was speaking that their special teams coach gave them a raise the roof speech about playing for family and that the guys in the locker room are your family. The cowpats went out and kicked texans arse, but you can only give that speech once then what???

The same thing applies here you can only be under the radar for so long then you have to be that Heat Seeking Missile speeding towards the radar and ready to explode on impact!!! This is more suitable for a team that is from Pittsburgh and has a Steel Curtain Reputation!!!

Devilsdancefloor
09-29-2010, 03:24 PM
great post! after the first 3 weeks of this season i really beleive we should come out with the attitude we are going to win not matter what and guess what we are gonna run the ball down your throat try and stop us/ I am all for the proverbial foot on the throat for the rest of the year never let up. I hate seeig 55 min of domination on D and then we go into a "prevent" D. release the hounds i say! Same goes on O if we have been passing or running on a team all day continue all day long

GoSlash27
09-29-2010, 04:04 PM
Difference is there was no parity back then. We were dominant even when we weren't necessarily trying harder than the other guy.
These days the competition is stiffer, and the mental edge that comes with playing like you've got something to prove is important.
So I always prefer "under the radar". I would rather everybody ignored us, underestimated us, failed to prepare for what we're bringing. It makes our guys focus and play hungrier.

Akagi
09-29-2010, 07:48 PM
The '70s Steelers were good for 3 seasons ('72, '73, '74) before they were taken seriously; most fans thought the Vikings were going to mop the floor with them in the Super Bowl (not Steelers fans, of course). After they won, they were taken seriously.

During and after the '77 season, the story was, "Are the Steelers done?" Same in '80, except that time they kind of were.

So even when they were good, they were sometimes under the radar. The NFL is a national event, and everyone wants to take their team to the top and shovel yours to the bottom.