PDA

View Full Version : Fichtner Still Not Worried About Silly Run-Pass Ratios; Hopes To Rotate Backs More In 2019

polamalubeast
09-05-2019, 06:39 PM
With the Pittsburgh Steelers 2019 regular season opener against the New England Patriots just a few more days away, several in the local media still seem obsessed with what the team plans to do offensively regarding run-pass balance. On Thursday, Steelers offensive coordinator Randy Fichtner held his weekly media session and right out of the chute he was asked if he wants to have a balanced run-pass ratio in 2019.

“I think you’ve always heard me say it’s the ability to do what you want to do as often as you can and sustain it,” Fichtner said, according to a steelers.com transcript. “To me, balance is getting first downs and finding a way to eke out 10 yards in three plays. I don’t necessarily think it has to be run or pass, we have to get it done some way or another, and that’s the job. I like where were at in our run game from the standpoint of older Jaylen [Samuels], older James [Conner], we’ve got some young guys in there, so that’s pretty exciting.”

So, what does that mean specifically regarding James Conner and Jaylen Samuels?

“I think they complement each other really well,” Fichtner said. “James really came on last year, and his role increased so much, given the circumstances at beginning of the year. So, he’s shown the ability to do that. When he was out [injured], Jaylen got an opportunity to actually be a feature back, and that meant first, second, and third down. When they are both healthy you might be able to use both of them to their strengths that they bring to the table. And Jaylen is very accomplished as possible route runner, as a possible protector, so you hope that signs of growth will be in that area of our group.”

read more

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/09/fichtner-still-not-worried-about-silly-run-pass-ratios-hopes-to-rotate-backs-more-in-2019/

Born2Steel
09-06-2019, 06:47 PM
This offense is an unknown this season. HoF QB, great OL, Quality weapons, yet very different from last year. Advantage Steelers.

vasteeler
09-06-2019, 07:46 PM
What the hell does any of this have to do with AB?:behindsofa:

polamalubeast
09-06-2019, 08:05 PM
This offense is an unknown this season. HoF QB, great OL, Quality weapons, yet very different from last year. Advantage Steelers.

Still a lot of talent in this offense!

Let's hope that our offense will not be too rusty Sunday, otherwise the Pats Offense will have to be too!

The Pats defense is also a very underrated defense, especially against the pass.

hawaiiansteeler
09-06-2019, 09:04 PM
What the hell does any of this have to do with AB?:behindsofa:

or with Le'Veon?

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
09-06-2019, 10:05 PM
or with Le'Veon? This board could use a new Terry Bradshaw interview where he says something stupid or derogatory about the Steelers.

hawaiiansteeler
09-06-2019, 10:49 PM
This board could use a new Terry Bradshaw interview where he says something stupid or derogatory about the Steelers.

Terry can testify to the fact that this was all Ben's fault...

vasteeler
09-06-2019, 11:26 PM
Terry can testify to the fact that this was all Ben's fault...

Psh...Terry can't even spell cat without being spotted the c and t

lipps83
09-06-2019, 11:50 PM
I just don't want to see anymore 3 straight pass plays from 1st and goal at the 1 with the best offensive line in the league and a pro bowl running back with 3 time outs and 2 minutes remaining.

Craic
09-07-2019, 03:52 AM
I just don't want to see anymore 3 straight pass plays from 1st and goal at the 1 with the best offensive line in the league and a pro bowl running back with 3 time outs and 2 minutes remaining.

There isn't a player on the offense I trust more with the ball in his hands in that situation then Ben R. Would I like to see us bowl it in like Bettis used to? Sure. But that just ain't the game anymore, and I've seen that line get blown back enough times that I'd rather trust Ben with it. Doesn't mean I'll boo running plays. It's just that I'd rather see the pass set up the run in that situation than vice versa.

polamalubeast
09-07-2019, 06:45 AM

Yeah, but I do not want to see our running in a brick wall too like Haley did in the AFC title game at the end in the first half against the Pats in 2016.