PDA

View Full Version : Danny Smith Is Wrong (Very, Very Wrong)

polamalubeast
09-04-2019, 09:09 PM
ByAlex Kozora

Look, you guys know I’m Danny Smith’s #1 fan. I have the tattoos to prove it. There’s no better part of camp than seeing Smith chomp gum and get after guys during the couple special teams sessions he’s granted each practice. Special teams is so much more than just making field goals, pinning punts, and running back kicks.

That’s all important but misses the process, the operation, of how those successes happen. And that’s one reason why he’s gotten a bad reputation to the casual fan. So much of what works is straight up missed by the fanbase. Which, to be fair, is easy to do since it’s hardly given any attention during the game unless it’s one of those black or white outcomes – success or failure.

I’m rambling here, I know, but only to try to put ignore the title I’ve written. It hurts my soul to say it. But we gotta be honest here.

Danny Smith is wrong.

So very wrong.

Anyone else crying. Just me?

Sitting down in this week’s Coordinator’s Corner with Bob Labriola, Smith was asked to define what a “good” punt is, a hot topic given Jordan Berry’s struggles to begin the season. Smith replied, and it’s not the first time he’s said it, that a 40 yard net punt is the goal. Not just the goal, but gold standard.

“I go back to that 40 yard net,” Smith explained. “That’s the goal. That’s elite. That puts you in an upper class category. We had that this past week. It showed. We flipped the field against Baltimore.”

The latter part is true and Berry has improved. For the last two weeks, the net average has been above 40 yards. 41.6 against Tampa (though Desean Jackson nearly had a touchdown) and 40.4 versus Baltimore.

So that’s Smith’s goal. 40 yard net.

That statement would be correct if he made it ten years ago. And that’s my belief why he still holds that “40” in so high regard. Why?

It’s only been about a decade since 40 yard net punts were a thing.

As the position has become more specialized, more focused, just in the way kickers now blow the doors off past eras in field goal percentage, that “elite” standard needs to be updated. Gross averages have improved and so have coverage units.

From 1976 to 2006, according to Football Database, no one ever had a net punting average of 40 yards. The closest anyone ever came was in 1993, when New York Giants’ punter Mike Horan averaged 39.9 yards. So close, so far.

But that all changed in 2007. The first two ever in the “40 club” appeared. Andy Lee netted 41 yards on the nose while Shane Lechler edged him out at 41.1. From there, it’s taken off. I complied the list of net-40 punters since 2007 to examine the trend since it began.

40 Yard Net (2007-present)

2018 – 16 punters
2017 – 22 punters
2016 – 16 punters
2015 – 15 punters
2014 – 11 punters
2013 – 15 punters
2012 – 15 punters
2011 – 9 punters
2010 – 3 punters
2009 – 6 punters
2008 – 4 punters
2007 – 2 punters

That’s a pretty clear trend. Since 2012, there’s been double-digit punters netting that much and most years, it’s close to half the league. 2014 was the only weird exception.

read more

https://steelersdepot.com/2018/10/danny-smith-is-wrong-very-very-wrong/

HollywoodSteel
09-05-2019, 01:41 AM
I think this is a weird article. I mean, there are plenty of great reasons to criticize Danny Smith. I certainly don’t need to point them out to anyone. But him saying 40 net yards instead of 42 net yards does... what exactly? Does it affect how he coaches? Does it affect the length of Berry’s punts? Does it affect how the team covers punts, or sheds blocks, or does anything?

And I’m not sure if net yardage is even really the standard by which to judge. Some punts are about placement rather than just distance. One thing I remember Sepulveda doing really well was placement inside the 20.

I’d think you’d judge by net field position difference both ways, or something like that. We always seem to lose that battle on special teams. And maybe teach your guys how not to hold or block in the back in every other return. Sometimes I think we should decide to fair catch every punt so that our guys don’t even have to try to block, and thereby avoid any chance of penalties. I would not be surprised if making that decision would yield us better net field position over the course of any given season.

polamalubeast
09-05-2019, 08:50 AM
I think this is a weird article. I mean, there are plenty of great reasons to criticize Danny Smith. I certainly don’t need to point them out to anyone. But him saying 40 net yards instead of 42 net yards does... what exactly? Does it affect how he coaches? Does it affect the length of Berry’s punts? Does it affect how the team covers punts, or sheds blocks, or does anything?

And I’m not sure if net yardage is even really the standard by which to judge. Some punts are about placement rather than just distance. One thing I remember Sepulveda doing really well was placement inside the 20.

I’d think you’d judge by net field position difference both ways, or something like that. We always seem to lose that battle on special teams. And maybe teach your guys how not to hold or block in the back in every other return. Sometimes I think we should decide to fair catch every punt so that our guys don’t even have to try to block, and thereby avoid any chance of penalties. I would not be surprised if making that decision would yield us better net field position over the course of any given season.

Even 2 yards on average can be huge...Last year, the Steelers defense had the 16th best starting position in the NFL ... If it would have been better than 2 yards on average, they would have been 4th, so 12 rank higher!

In offense, the Steelers had the worst starting field position in the NFL, but 2 more yards on average, they would have been 19th,so 13 rank higher...2 yards better field position in average can be huge!

tube517
09-05-2019, 09:00 AM
https://www.footballdb.com/leaders/yearly-punting-netavg

What a strange set of stats.

Ray Guy never lead the league in net avg.

Mitch Berger led the league TWICE in net avg.

Maybe I need new contacts or I'm drunk but that's crazy.

HollywoodSteel
09-05-2019, 09:01 AM
Even 2 yards on average can be huge...Last year, the Steelers defense had the 16th best starting position in the NFL ... If it would have been better than 2 yards on average, they would have been 4th, so 12 rank higher!

In offense, the Steelers had the worst starting field position in the NFL, but 2 more yards on average, they would have been 19th,so 13 rank higher...2 yards better field position in average can be huge!

I understand that two yards matters. What I don’t understand is why it matters if Danny Smith SAYS that 40 yards is really good. His BELIEF that 40 yards is fine does not actually affect his coaching of the punter. It doesn’t in any way cause the punter to not punt as far as he otherwise would have if Danny Smith said 42 yards was the goal.

It had the same results on the field that would transpire if Danny Smith thought the capital of California was Los Angeles. It did not actually AFFECT our special teams unit in any tangible way. So I don’t care if Danny Smith got this wrong in an interview, I care why our ACTUAL special teams play is always sub par.

polamalubeast
09-05-2019, 09:12 AM
https://www.footballdb.com/leaders/yearly-punting-netavg

What a strange set of stats.

Ray Guy never lead the league in net avg.

Mitch Berger led the league TWICE in net avg.

Maybe I need new contacts or I'm drunk but that's crazy.

Mitch Berger was not a bad punter with the Vikings....He was just too old when he was with us!

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-05-2019, 10:07 AM
I understand that two yards matters. What I don’t understand is why it matters if Danny Smith SAYS that 40 yards is really good. His BELIEF that 40 yards is fine does not actually affect his coaching of the punter. It doesn’t in any way cause the punter to not punt as far as he otherwise would have if Danny Smith said 42 yards was the goal.

It had the same results on the field that would transpire if Danny Smith thought the capital of California was Los Angeles. It did not actually AFFECT our special teams unit in any tangible way. So I don’t care if Danny Smith got this wrong in an interview, I care why our ACTUAL special teams play is always sub par.

I agree with you. Say something was priced $59.95 and then was obviously a few bucks more with tax. When somebody asks how much it was, you still say $60. Whether Smith says 40 yards is the goal, 42 yards or 41.7 yards....it just seems like nitpicking a number and not addressing the actual issue.

86WARD
09-05-2019, 10:28 AM
So basically everything Smith does well, the fan base can’t see...lol

polamalubeast
09-05-2019, 11:21 AM

Hawkman
09-05-2019, 11:30 AM
If I could delete this thread.... I would

86WARD
09-05-2019, 12:55 PM
If I could delete this thread.... I would

I would delete Danny Smith

polamalubeast
09-06-2019, 04:46 PM
Even Bill Belichick like the job of Danny Smith!