PDA

View Full Version : Should The Steelers Go For Randy Moss in 2011 ?

SteelerEmpire
06-02-2010, 02:57 PM
Just a thought. Moss says he wants to go to a team that will give him the best chance to get a SB ring... so he's likely to sign somewhere for cheap. Ben still says he wants a tall receiver, would he lobby for Moss ? And if Ward retires at the end of this season...? :confused:

Moss on one side, Wallace on the other, Randle El and Miller in between... OMG :jaw: ...

Randy Moss Doesn't Think He's In The Patriots Future Plans

Patriots receiver Randy Moss is entering the final year of his contract, and he says it may be his last - at least with New England. The 33-year-old tells the Boston Herald that he's eager to play in 2010, and while he doesn't have plans to retire soon, he's unsure of where he'll land next year. The Patriots are set to pay him $6.4 million this season, and the newspaper notes the last time Moss was in a contract year, he caught 23 touchdowns (he had 13 TDs in 2009). "I just don't think, realistically, that I'm in their future plans with the Patriots. If the New England Patriots don't want me in their future plans, (I understand). Because once you get up there in age, people start speculating about your performance. But I want to get out there to the New England Patriots fans, this is my year. I'm going to play my year. I'm not coming in causing any conflicts. I know it's a business. ...I've already said this may be my last year with the Patriots, that this is my last year under contract with the New England Patriots. Hopefully, with 31 other teams knowing I'll be available after this year, it's just like agents knowing I'm available and (I) don't have an agent."

BuddhaBus
06-02-2010, 03:00 PM
:no:

Prok
06-02-2010, 03:02 PM
5 years ago i'd say hell yea. By next year he may be like a Jerry Rice was with the raiders his last year.

LLT
06-02-2010, 03:16 PM
I would rather have Hampton fart into my open mouth......then have Moss on my team.

Indo
06-02-2010, 03:31 PM
I would rather have Hampton fart into my open mouth......then have Moss on my team.

I, too, would rather have Casey Hampton fart into LLT's mouth than have Moss on my team.:nod:

stlrtruck
06-02-2010, 03:32 PM
in a word

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BlastFurnace
06-02-2010, 03:33 PM
I wish we could have pulled the bargain the Pats got years ago.

Right now, I would say no.

Aussie_steeler
06-02-2010, 03:43 PM
I, too, would rather have Casey Hampton fart into LLT's mouth than have Moss on my team.:nod:

Please dont let anyone second that motion. Lets close this meeting. I dont want to see Casey for forced to move that motion.

No to Moss.

SteelGhost
06-02-2010, 03:44 PM
Ehhh.......nope, the WR corps will be fine :tt02:

Prok
06-02-2010, 03:51 PM
I wish we could have pulled the bargain the Pats got years ago.

Right now, I would say no.

Agreed. If we would have gotten Ben a Randy Moss type IN HIS PRIME we'd be damn near un-stoppable.

LLT
06-02-2010, 04:06 PM

I'm glad you agree because I.......HEY!!!!!!!!!

salamander
06-02-2010, 04:08 PM
Eh, no thank you. I'm happy with what we've got now.

vasteeler
06-02-2010, 04:14 PM

:toofunny:

stillers4me
06-02-2010, 04:17 PM

And to think we almost lost the opportunity to share moments like this............

ChosenOne
06-02-2010, 04:20 PM
No. Age is a factor, as well as his attitude.

polamalubeast
06-02-2010, 04:22 PM
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines05/images/0110-05.jpg

http://www.edgeofsports.com/2005-01-10-112/randt

NO

LLT
06-02-2010, 04:23 PM
And to think we almost lost the opportunity to share moments like this............

Nothing says Kodak Moment like being "crop dusted" by a 350 pound D-Lineman.

JayC
06-02-2010, 05:39 PM
he doesn't seem like a steeler guy but i'd definately take him for a couple of years. ben to moss would be ace

fansince'76
06-02-2010, 05:40 PM
2011 = lockout season. And I have yet to see, read, or hear anything to this point that could convince me otherwise.

fansince'76
06-02-2010, 05:42 PM
http://www.edgeofsports.com/2005-01-10-112/randt

NO

O-TAY. :chuckle:

kmsteelerwr15
06-02-2010, 05:43 PM
That would be a negative.

Dylan
06-02-2010, 05:44 PM
NO!!!!!!!:thumbdown:

SteelerSal
06-02-2010, 05:45 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing what our young WR's bring to the table and by bringing Moss in, not only will one of these guys not have a chance to shine with us but we also stoop down to the level of the Cowboys, Redskins and Patriots by trying to get a championship with overpaid ageing vets.

ricardisimo
06-02-2010, 05:46 PM
2011 = lockout season. And I have yet to see, read, or hear anything to this point that could convince me otherwise.

Up until about two months ago, we had two Superbowl MVP receivers on our team, and I don't think the Patriots have one, named Moss or not. Wallace is a fine substitute, and I'm VERY eager to see what Sanders and Brown can do.

steelpride12
06-02-2010, 06:16 PM
Naa, age is catching up to him and we need youth at that position and I just cannot see a Ben to Moss connection on the field sorry Ill pass.

RushHard34
06-02-2010, 07:11 PM
He is getting up there in age, and i rather have us work more on breeding our younger WR's

Chidi29
06-02-2010, 07:31 PM
In a heartbeat, as long as the length of the deal and the money isn't unreasonable. Which I don't think it would be; his last contract (3 yrs 27 mil) wasn't too hefty.

What we need to realize is that as a more explosive offense, with a franchise QB, with the "Three yards and a cloud of dust" offense gone, we're going to need more weapons. You guys are saying it yourselves; in his prime, we'd be unstoppable. And even leaving his prime, with the other weapons we have (Miller, Ward, Wallace, Mendenhall) you're not going to be able to cover everyone. Getting Randy Moss in a one-on-one matchup is still advantage offense.

Just as the defense has had multiple playmakers, the offense needs them as well in order to become top-notch.

And I am concerned about Ward. Love him to death but lest we forget the concern over his knee/hamstrings two years ago. Those concerns shouldn't, and won't, go away as you get older. Even with the extra rest he's gotten.

Psycho Ward 86
06-02-2010, 07:42 PM
Too old by then for me, and possibly a bad influence on the younglings (Even though his marijuana problems and other antics havent really resurfaced in the NFL, if i recall correctly).

And also....

lol....

SMR
06-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Uh................................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ........no.

vasteeler
06-02-2010, 08:03 PM
at a reasonable price......absolutely
he is the best wide receiver out there

steelpride12
06-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Not to mention we are seeming to have plenty of depth now at the WR corp, and with players like Brown and Wallace on the rise I see no need to get a high end, EXPENSIVE WR.

Prok
06-02-2010, 08:07 PM
In a heartbeat, as long as the length of the deal and the money isn't unreasonable. Which I don't think it would be; his last contract (3 yrs 27 mil) wasn't too hefty.

What we need to realize is that as a more explosive offense, with a franchise QB, with the "Three yards and a cloud of dust" offense gone, we're going to need more weapons. You guys are saying it yourselves; in his prime, we'd be unstoppable. And even leaving his prime, with the other weapons we have (Miller, Ward, Wallace, Mendenhall) you're not going to be able to cover anyone. Getting Randy Moss in a one-on-one matchup is still advantage offense.

Just as the defense has had multiple playmakers, the offense needs them as well in order to become top-notch.

And I am concerned about Ward. Love him to death but lest we forget the concern over his knee/hamstrings two years ago. Those concerns shouldn't, and won't, go away as you get older. Even with the extra rest he's gotten.
I respect the hell out of this post. Not afraid to go against the grain. And hey, it's ALL about making the team better. Good job. I just think he's past his prime. But i could care less who percieved him as a cancer. If he helped us WIN i'm all for it.

HometownGal
06-02-2010, 08:21 PM
HELL NO! Though he is a Top 3 WR, I don't want him punking up the locker room. I don't like his pompous 'tude.

43Hitman
06-02-2010, 08:32 PM

What we need to realize is that as a more explosive offense, with a franchise QB, with the "Three yards and a cloud of dust" offense gone, we're going to need more weapons. You guys are saying it yourselves; in his prime, we'd be unstoppable. And even leaving his prime, with the other weapons we have (Miller, Ward, Wallace, Mendenhall) you're not going to be able to cover anyone. Getting Randy Moss in a one-on-one matchup is still advantage offense.

You make a helluva an argument. Props for picking a side and really defending it. Man, I hope you can get a writing job here, while I don't always agree with your opinion, I damn sure enjoy reading your posts. Rep points awarded even though I don't want to see Randy Moss in a Steelers uniform. I really like the influx of youth we are gathering at the WR position and wouldn't really want to upset that progression at this time. If Ward goes down though, my opinion changes immediately, lol.

Chidi29
06-02-2010, 08:42 PM
You make a helluva an argument. Props for picking a side and really defending it. Man, I hope you can get a writing job here, while I don't always agree with your opinion, I damn sure enjoy reading your posts. Rep points awarded even though I don't want to see Randy Moss in a Steelers uniform. I really like the influx of youth we are gathering at the WR position and wouldn't really want to upset that progression at this time. If Ward goes down though, my opinion changes immediately, lol.

Thanks Hitman.

If this was 2005, it'd be a different story. You'd have your Ward, you'd have a safety valve in Miller, and you'd be good to go.

But if we're going to pass more, if this is going to be Ben's team (Which it already is) and if you want to do a lot of scoring through the air, you can't have Cedrick Wilson or Randle El lining up opposite of Ward.

Keep in mind that outside of Hines, we really don't have a reliable outside WR. Wallace played there a little bit but was mostly working out of the slot last season. I hope he can do it but it isn't a guarantee. And if he could, then you have Moss and Wallace on the outside and kick Ward to the slot when we go three wide. This year? We'd have to move Randle El outside. Not the greatest of options.

And while I've heard a lot of good things about Emmanuel and Antonio Brown, I'm not going to let that stop me from signing a proven, valuable asset like Moss. Of course, we'll see how the rookies do this year (since the hypothetical was for next year) but imagine how dumb we'd look if we were having this conversation about another WR after drafting Fred Gibson.

"Nah, let that other guy go. We got Gibson. He's 6'4 from the SEC. Kid is going to be a star."

*Repressed memories*

Psycho Ward 86
06-02-2010, 09:17 PM
I dont want Moss, but let's be serious. We could easily find our wide receiver reserves empty soon if people dont step up or if we dont replace them. Our only proven commodities are Hines Ward and ARE. Both are aging quickly at age 34 and 30 apiece, and ARE isnt even that good, especially now since he's slowed down. Wallace IS NOT a proven commodity, i gotta warn you guys not to jump on that bandwagon yet, no matter how tempting it is. He's had one good rookie season against #3 defensive backs. This year he's probably going to face #1 or #2 cornerbacks. That is a HUGE jump. Wallace has a much better chance at having a bad year than a good one. I cant stress that enough. We dont really know what he's made of yet. We've seen one year of him. That's it. Behind those 3, we have either crappy old blowhards like Arnaz Battle and rookies like Sanders and Brown.

Now you see fellas, our wide receiver situation might feel ok, but we are in perfect position to collapse if injuries pile up and the young guns dont step up.....

Prok
06-02-2010, 09:27 PM
I dont want Moss, but let's be serious. We could easily find our wide receiver reserves empty soon if people dont step up or if we dont replace them. Our only proven commodities are Hines Ward and ARE. Both are aging quickly at age 34 and 30 apiece, and ARE isnt even that good, especially now since he's slowed down. Wallace IS NOT a proven commodity, i gotta warn you guys not to jump on that bandwagon yet, no matter how tempting it is. He's had one good rookie season against #3 defensive backs. This year he's probably going to face #1 or #2 cornerbacks. That is a HUGE jump. Wallace has a much better chance at having a bad year than a good one. I cant stress that enough. We dont really know what he's made of yet. We've seen one year of him. That's it. Behind those 3, we have either crappy old blowhards like Arnaz Battle and rookies like Sanders and Brown.

Now you see fellas, our wide receiver situation might feel ok, but we are in perfect position to collapse if injuries pile up and the young guns dont step up.....

Good points. I think our CS has the mindset of ALWAYS looking to improve the team. I like that coach Tomlin seems pro-active.
I'm personally of the mindset that the QB makes the WR's. But adding a guy that cannot be covered deep would be a huge upgrade for Ben going forward. My concern is the age factor. I don't wanna end up like Jerry Rice was his last year in Oakland. But i'm not entirely against signing older players. Whomever the CS thinks can help us WIN is fine by me. Even if they chose TO for that reason.

vindrow
06-02-2010, 09:37 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm..NO!!

BlastFurnace
06-02-2010, 09:44 PM
Let's be honest...he isn't a Steeler type of player and the Rooney's would never bring him to Pittsburgh. There is a better chance of Plax being a Steeler next year than Moss...IMO

It wouldn't surprise me if there is a thread about Plax next year coming back to the Burgh.

xX-TSK-Xx
06-02-2010, 09:49 PM
I would say no. Not because of his personality but because of his age. Moss has always been one of my favorites to watch (not against the Steelers of course) but the man can't produce forever. Especially with speed being probably his greatest asset.

Prok
06-02-2010, 10:56 PM
Let's be honest...he isn't a Steeler type of player and the Rooney's would never bring him to Pittsburgh. There is a better chance of Plax being a Steeler next year than Moss...IMO

It wouldn't surprise me if there is a thread about Plax next year coming back to the Burgh.

I say throw the "Steeler type" out the window if a guy can help us WIN. I just don't buy the "Steeler type".

Some examples of teams acqiring vets to help win: Dallas gets Charles Haley

NE gets Corey Dillon who was considered a cancer in Cincy

NE gets Rodney Harrison from San Diego to shore up their secondary...

Denver gets Romanowski - If Lambert played in this day and age politically correct crowd would lable him dirty.

There's a ton more. Just pointing out that why limit ourselves to a select group of players. Get players our CS thinks can help us WIN and we'll all mend fences etc IMO.

steelerdude15
06-02-2010, 11:50 PM
Nah, I don't see him as a Steeler.

steeldevil
06-03-2010, 12:12 AM
If both parties are interested and the mans still got it talent wise at that time then why not? I dont think that at his age he would be a problem behaviorally, obviously he wants to win. of course this isnt gonna happen:pray:

Galax Steeler
06-03-2010, 03:43 AM
I don't think I would want to see him in the Black and Gold. Just about like everyone else here said he is getting to old to be a productive receiver. I would have taken a chance on him earlier in his career but not now.

solardave
06-03-2010, 04:02 AM
QUOTE=LLT;4509]I would rather have Hampton fart into my open mouth......then have Moss on my team.[/QUOTE]

Wow. I don't like the guy either but let's not get carried away. And believe me you WOULD GET carried away. To the emergency room.:lol:

solardave
06-03-2010, 04:07 AM
If you think we need him go back and look at some of his last games with the Vikings. He walked off the field at least once in the middle of a play and quit on several others. He will probably do the same to the Patriots this year. While this is good news to all of us who hate them I wouldn't want him in his prime. He's a head case. He won't block and goes down when he thinks he's gonna get hit.

ricardisimo
06-03-2010, 04:24 AM
And while I've heard a lot of good things about Emmanuel and Antonio Brown, I'm not going to let that stop me from signing a proven, valuable asset like Moss. Of course, we'll see how the rookies do this year (since the hypothetical was for next year) but imagine how dumb we'd look if we were having this conversation about another WR after drafting Fred Gibson.

"Nah, let that other guy go. We got Gibson. He's 6'4 from the SEC. Kid is going to be a star."

*Repressed memories*

Not a great year to cite... take a look at that year's WR class. There was Roddy White, and Vincent Jackson and pretty much no one else. Braylon Edwards is a distant third.

Besides, you're obviously referring to Plax, who had a whopping 35 receptions for 698 yards the previous year. Replacing those numbers should not have been a chore, and indeed it wasn't... Pittsburgh added several hundred yards passing the next year without him.

And, maybe I'm missing something... but why would you be repressing memories about the Steelers' personnel moves leading up to the 2005 season? :hmm:

SteelerEmpire
06-03-2010, 09:33 AM

Good points.

BlastFurnace
06-03-2010, 10:23 AM
I say throw the "Steeler type" out the window if a guy can help us WIN. I just don't buy the "Steeler type".

Some examples of teams acqiring vets to help win: Dallas gets Charles Haley

NE gets Corey Dillon who was considered a cancer in Cincy

NE gets Rodney Harrison from San Diego to shore up their secondary...

Denver gets Romanowski - If Lambert played in this day and age politically correct crowd would lable him dirty.

There's a ton more. Just pointing out that why limit ourselves to a select group of players. Get players our CS thinks can help us WIN and we'll all mend fences etc IMO.

While I agree with you, it doesn't change the fact that the Steelers will never pick up a guy like Randy Moss. What is the last Veteran, High Priced, Troubled player...from another team...that the Steelers picked up. The only one that I can think of that had any kind of trouble in his previous place was Bettis...and that was because of things said about him that were false by Rich Brooks.

If the Steelers were looking for a veteran WR with a troubled past that was available for a relatively cheap price, there is one that is practially begging for a job....Terrell Owens...and the Steelers aren't even sniffing around him.

Prok
06-03-2010, 10:36 AM
While I agree with you, it doesn't change the fact that the Steelers will never pick up a guy like Randy Moss. What is the last Veteran, High Priced, Troubled player...from another team...that the Steelers picked up. The only one that I can think of that had any kind of trouble in his previous place was Bettis...and that was because of things said about him that were false by Rich Brooks.

If the Steelers were looking for a veteran WR with a troubled past that was available for a relatively cheap price, there is one that is practially begging for a job....Terrell Owens...and the Steelers aren't even sniffing around him.
Probably has more to do with him not being able to help us win than anything else. And like i said Moss is prolly at the stage where he lost a step as well. But if they see someone out there who they hink can help us win i say go for it.

Devilsdancefloor
06-03-2010, 12:20 PM
NO i cant stand players who do not play 100% of the snaps

Chidi29
06-03-2010, 06:47 PM
Not a great year to cite... take a look at that year's WR class. There was Roddy White, and Vincent Jackson and pretty much no one else. Braylon Edwards is a distant third.

Besides, you're obviously referring to Plax, who had a whopping 35 receptions for 698 yards the previous year. Replacing those numbers should not have been a chore, and indeed it wasn't... Pittsburgh added several hundred yards passing the next year without him.

And, maybe I'm missing something... but why would you be repressing memories about the Steelers' personnel moves leading up to the 2005 season? :hmm:

Huh? You've got me confused.

I'm not referring to Plax. What made you think I was?

I'll clarify; my main point was that I wouldn't let a couple of rookies prevent me from signing a guy like Moss (some are saying that because of the young talent we brought in, we shouldn't go after Moss) because as we've seen in the past, like Fred Gibson, some guys just don't pan out and I don't want to miss out on a proven guy because of that.

The repressed memories was just supposed to be a joke of how much of an utter failiure Gibson turned out to be.

43Hitman
06-03-2010, 07:11 PM

I'll clarify; my main point was that I wouldn't let a couple of rookies prevent me from signing a guy like Moss (some are saying that because of the young talent we brought in, we shouldn't go after Moss) because as we've seen in the past, like Fred Gibson, some guys just don't pan out and I don't want to miss out on a proven guy because of that.

The repressed memories was just supposed to be a joke of how much of an utter failiure Gibson turned out to be.

You have to forgive Ric, he lives in Lalaland.:chuckle:

Canadian Steeler Nation
06-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Does Randy even know how to block? He cant even find the middle of the field, especially if there is a db there.

Psycho Ward 86
06-03-2010, 08:23 PM
Does Randy even know how to block? He cant even find the middle of the field, especially if there is a db there.

Huh? Your knock on Moss is that you think he cant....BLOCK??

I dont want him on the team, but :toofunny:

ricardisimo
06-03-2010, 11:23 PM

Now you've got me confused... You said:

If this was 2005, it'd be a different story. You'd have your Ward, you'd have a safety valve in Miller, and you'd be good to go.

... Of course, we'll see how the rookies do this year (since the hypothetical was for next year) but imagine how dumb we'd look if we were having this conversation about another WR after drafting Fred Gibson.

*Repressed memories*
Well, 2005 was the year Plax left, and it was the year we drafted Gibson, whether to replace him or just to add depth. It didn't pan out, obviously, but almost no WRs from that class panned out. I still have to ask, though, if you weren't referring to Plax when you said "Nah, let that other guy go," then to whom were you referring? What other wide receiver did we let go heading into 2005?

And again, given the final result from that 2005 season, why would you be repressing memories from then? :hmm:

This is ricardismo, signing out from Lalaland. Goodnight, and good luck.

ricardisimo
06-03-2010, 11:24 PM
Huh? Your knock on Moss is that you think he cant....BLOCK??

I dont want him on the team, but :toofunny:

Are you suggesting WRs do something other than block?

Psycho Ward 86
06-03-2010, 11:51 PM
Are you suggesting WRs do something other than block?

Yes. That would be called catching: A slightly more important skill.

X-Terminator
06-04-2010, 01:07 AM

Think he was calling Moss a pussy...which he is, just because he plays for the Patriots*. He's also not known for going over the middle to make tough catches in traffic...which also makes him a pussy. Either way, I wouldn't want him on the team. They just got rid of one headcase diva WR - why would they bring in another one?

suitanim
06-04-2010, 12:18 PM
< Sigh >

I guess it'll never ever end...

BuddhaBus
06-04-2010, 04:02 PM

Not if your name is Limas. :chuckle:

SteelCityMan786
06-04-2010, 04:07 PM
No, I think we will see enough fire power out of this year's receivers. Plus, don't forget we still have Sanders coming up. We'll see though when 2011 arrives. For now, lets enjoy 2010.

MasterOfPuppets
06-04-2010, 05:00 PM
a rolling stone gathers no moss ...:wink02:

Psycho Ward 86
06-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Think he was calling Moss a pussy...which he is, just because he plays for the Patriots*. He's also not known for going over the middle to make tough catches in traffic...which also makes him a pussy. Either way, I wouldn't want him on the team. They just got rid of one headcase diva WR - why would they bring in another one?

See, now i dont want Moss on this team ever and im not defending Moss himself, but some of you guys just deliberately say that certain players suck based on what team they play for, reputation of having monstrous games against us, and exaggerated homerism, along with other wahoo.

SMR
06-04-2010, 05:08 PM
No, I think we will see enough fire power out of this year's receivers. Plus, don't forget we still have Sanders coming up. We'll see though when 2011 arrives. For now, lets enjoy 2010.

I second that bro!

Chidi29
06-04-2010, 05:15 PM
Now you've got me confused... You said:

Well, 2005 was the year Plax left, and it was the year we drafted Gibson, whether to replace him or just to add depth. It didn't pan out, obviously, but almost no WRs from that class panned out. I still have to ask, though, if you weren't referring to Plax when you said "Nah, let that other guy go," then to whom were you referring? What other wide receiver did we let go heading into 2005?

And again, given the final result from that 2005 season, why would you be repressing memories from then? :hmm:

This is ricardismo, signing out from Lalaland. Goodnight, and good luck.

I was just saying that I wouldn't let an unproven WR stop me fron signing a proven guy like Moss. That's it.

The "other guy" is just a hypothetical; any proven WR. And letting him go just meant "not signing him from free agency". Maybe that was a bad choice of words.

Again, I'm just crining at the thought of Fred Gibson. Not the 2005 season.

NJarhead
06-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Nope. Not the way we operate anyway.
We might be able to get Plax back for a song by then anyway. :lol:

Steely McSmash
06-04-2010, 05:41 PM
Living in the Boston area I can't recall Moss being much of a problem child. I think he's actually lauded as somewhat of a hardworking pro. His troubles were in Min after Carter left and in the black hole. I think he's grown up.

It'd be worth a low value contract ($4M/yr) if the Rooks don't show something this year and especially if Ward or Wallace gets hurt.

For all the discussion about what is or is not a Steeler player, I think Moss might fit the bill these days.

There is no way that Colbert is going to play unproven rookies so we can see how they develop. The FO is going to put together a team worth being on the field.

SteelerEmpire
06-04-2010, 06:11 PM
See, now i dont want Moss on this team ever and im not defending Moss himself, but some of you guys just deliberately say that certain players suck based on what team they play for, reputation of having monstrous games against us, and exaggerated homerism, along with other wahoo.

Another good point.