PDA

View Full Version : Harris: Too old? Adams proves he isn't

stillers4me
09-28-2010, 05:19 PM
By John Harris (jharris@tribweb.com), PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, September 28, 2010

As much as Flozell Adams making the challenging switch from left tackle to right tackle has become the talk of the Steelers' locker room, so has Adams becoming one of the guys.

The Steelers' offensive line is a team within a team. It's a close-knit group that emboldened quiet left guard Chris Kemoeatu to welcome outsiders into his world. Put Kemoeatu in front of a microphone or camera these days, and he becomes a walking sound bite.

Willie Colon travels with the team and sits at a locker on game days even though he's out for the year with an Achilles injury. Colon's injury is why the Steelers signed Adams out of desperation. Adams' sense of wanting to belong explains his willingness to re-learn a position he hasn't played since college.

Little by little, Adams has loosened up around his new teammates and bought into the Steeler way. "The Cowboys are past," Adams said. "I'm a Steeler, and I look forward to doing what I can to help the organization win."............

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_701555.html#

Devilsdancefloor
09-28-2010, 06:59 PM
i was worried during preseason, but it seems like he is stepping up his game!

Kaeg
09-28-2010, 07:15 PM
I was a little nervous as well. Seems like it's working out real good so far. I don't hear his name mentioned very often, and that must be a real good thing.

ALLD
09-28-2010, 07:21 PM
Maybe it is a nice change of pace for Adams in Pittsburgh where everything including the parking lot vendors does not revolve around the team owner.

SMR
09-28-2010, 07:50 PM
i was worried during preseason, but it seems like he is stepping up his game!

Same here pal. I was so nervous about him that at one point I yelled "Get rid of him!" Seriously. Now I'm embarrassed and glad about that!

GBMelBlount
09-28-2010, 07:57 PM
Despite his slow gait to the line of scrimmage, and despite a physique that isn't what it used to be, Adams holds his own in the running game.

In Sunday's 38-13 win at Tampa Bay, Adams and the right side of the line opened holes big enough to drive a sports utility vehicle through. Led by Rashard Mendenhall, the Steelers rushed for a season-high 201 yards. Mendenhall carried 19 times for 143 yards and a touchdown. On four runs behind right tackle, Mendenhall gained 63 yards.

Nice read.

Perhaps being a "Steeler" is putting a spring in Adam's step...

I for one am pleasantly surprised with his play.

Stlrs4Life
09-28-2010, 08:31 PM
I think he is doing OK, but still think it is early in the season yet.

Shoes
09-28-2010, 08:51 PM
Nice read.

Perhaps being a "Steeler" is putting a spring in Adam's step...

I for one am pleasantly surprised with his play.

Amen! Hope Adams gets a SB ring this year!

tube517
09-28-2010, 10:16 PM
I hope The Hotel can maintain it for 16+ games. I also hope he gets a ring so he can make his ex-teammates envious.

Austin87
09-29-2010, 03:17 AM
Turned out to be a pretty good signing after all.

Galax Steeler
09-29-2010, 03:35 AM
I am really impressed the way he is playing right now hopefully he can continue to play well for the rest of the year.

stlrtruck
09-29-2010, 06:36 AM
Perhaps it wasn't the player afterall but instead it was the organization that made the difference?

Texasteel
09-29-2010, 06:50 AM
Adams is living the true cowboy dream. Finally getting to play for the Steelers.

I was one that was shaking his head when we signed him. Then HTG told us he was looking pretty good in TC and I started to feel a little better. Now 3 games into the season and I'm pretty happy we have him.

I still want an OT in this years draft.

Butch
09-29-2010, 06:56 AM
I was vehemently against this signing saying that it was an act of desperation for not drafting an Olineman earlier in the draft.

I agree it's to early, but let me be the 1st to say, I will gladly eat crow if he can continue playing at this level.

SteelerSal
09-29-2010, 07:01 AM
I was vehemently against this signing saying that it was an act of desperation for not drafting an Olineman earlier in the draft.

I agree it's to early, but let me be the 1st to say, I will gladly eat crow if he can continue playing at this level.

Do you like your crow fried or baked? :lol:

Texasteel
09-29-2010, 07:07 AM

You talking to a Texan Sal. It's either fried or BBQ.

SteelerSal
09-29-2010, 07:39 AM
You talking to a Texan Sal. It's either fried or BBQ.

LMAO!!

Butch
09-29-2010, 02:05 PM

I'll take it Flambeed like the crows are gonna be this weekend. LOL

solardave
09-29-2010, 04:44 PM
I hope The Hotel can maintain it for 16+ games. I also hope he gets a ring so he can make his ex-teammates envious.

It would be nice for him to get one as a Steeler.

JayC
09-30-2010, 07:35 AM
he's been solid so far (that can all change still). but yeah so far im eating my words about saying cut him in preseason

HometownGal
09-30-2010, 08:46 AM
I have no problem with Flo, as he seems to be adjusting to the switcheroo from LT to RT better every week. :drink: He seems to enjoy being in the black 'n gold and I'm happy to have him here. Don't think we could have gotten a more seasoned and reliable vet at that position and until next season when Colon returns, he's a very capable fill-in. :thumbsup:

Steeldude
09-30-2010, 09:03 AM
i hope the old guy can hold up. the steelers don't have many options left if he goes down for an extended time

43Hitman
09-30-2010, 10:42 AM

Me too. I am happy to see he is doing well so far.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-30-2010, 11:36 AM
Adams is living the true cowboy dream. Finally getting to play for the Steelers.

I was one that was shaking his head when we signed him. Then HTG told us he was looking pretty good in TC and I started to feel a little better. Now 3 games into the season and I'm pretty happy we have him.

I still want an OT in this years draft.

A guy not fast enough to play LT any more could surely line up at RT and that is what we are seeing with Hotel. I still think Chris Scott is gonna be the future RT on this team.

Still gonna need a LT to replace Starks in a couple seasons, so hopefully we see one drafted this upcoming year. I really dont see need for anything else other than a NT as a big priority in the draft.

BlastFurnace
09-30-2010, 04:13 PM
I liked the Flozell signing from the beginning. I thought he would be a great stop-gap for this season and possibly next season if the Steelers don't re-sign Colon.

I'm not a big fan of Colon's.

SMR
09-30-2010, 04:21 PM
he's been solid so far (that can all change still). but yeah so far im eating my words about saying cut him in preseason

Same here. I wanted him cut and so far he is making me eat my words too. If he holds up all the way through, then eating crow will taste soooooooo good, yum!

The Duke
09-30-2010, 07:11 PM
I love his play so far

But I still want an OT next year in the draft

SMR
09-30-2010, 07:14 PM
I love his play so far

But I still want an OT next year in the draft

I agree with you. Adams ain't gettin' younger. Sigh...