PDA

View Full Version : Steelers overcome QB chaos to show they might be NFL's best

polamalubeast
09-28-2010, 03:58 PM
Steelers overcome QB chaos to show they might be NFL's best By Steve Wyche NFL.com
Senior Writer
Published: Sept. 28, 2010 at 03:09 p.m. Updated: Sept. 28, 2010 at 03:49 p.

TAMPA, Fla. -- After watching Pittsburgh dismantle a Tampa Bay team that is going to cause some future opponents some problems, it really hit me that for all the teams that are going through quarterback chaos, no one has been through more at the position than the Steelers.

And what that tells me is that all those squads changing quarterbacks looking for a spark or hoping for hope -- other than those teams had all offseason to get it right -- is that Pittsburgh might have the best team in the NFL. Think about it, is there any other team in the league that could win its first three games with two different (backup) quarterbacks?

Sure, Pittsburgh's defense led the way, but let me ask the same question again, is there any other team in the NFL with a defense to withstand three quarterback changes against Atlanta (2-1, sole loss to the Steelers), Tennessee (2-1, sole loss to the Steelers) and Tampa Bay (2-1, sole loss to the Steelers)?

Now, with Charlie Batch getting them to 3-0 with a 31-point offensive outburst against the Buccaneers (defensive end Brett Keisel scored on an interception), things really seem to be coming together -- just in time for the throw down against the Ravens on Sunday. And make no mistake about it; Pittsburgh feels it's going to do to Baltimore what it's done to its previous three opponents -- with Batch at quarterback.

"We are a bunch of resilient guys," wide receiver Hines Ward said. "We don't listen to people outside this locker room. If we're 4-0 with Ben [Roethlisberger] coming back, I'm sure there'll be a lot of people hopping on the bandwagon."

The Steelers have used every bit of motivation they can. They want to shove it to all of us who said they'd go 2-2 at best without the suspended quarterback and show how stupid we were. Coach Mike Tomlin has prodded veterans -- like Batch -- to prove themselves relevant and to keep the younger players on the roster from taking their jobs. He's also told young players to take jobs from veterans, Ward told me.

read more

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81ae8f6f/article/steelers-overcome-qb-chaos-to-show-they-might-be-nfls-best?module=HP_cp2