PDA

View Full Version : Refocused, hungrier Roethlisberger prepares for return to Steelers

siss
09-28-2010, 12:42 PM
Refocused, hungrier Roethlisberger prepares for return to Steelers
Sports Illustrated
Peter King

A week from now, one of the big stories in the league -- maybe the biggest story in the league -- will be Ben Roethlisberger returning to the Steelers after his four-week suspension. What kind of mood will Roethlisberger will be in? Will he be humbled, chastened? And in a football sense, will he be ready to return after the Steelers' bye week to resume his starting role on a Super Bowl contender?

George Whitfield, a quarterback coach from San Diego, was hired by Roethlisberger's agent, Ryan Tollner, to work privately with Roethlisberger for his four weeks away from the Steelers. Whitfield commutes from California each week and tries to simulate a regular Wednesday-Thursday-Friday practice week at a high school in Pittsburgh. Sometimes Roethlisberger throws to the likes of former NFLer Devard Darling, who lives in the area, and sometimes he uses high school kids. Whitfield puts Roethlisberger through two-hour workouts, which are taped, and then he and Roethlisberger go over the tape to see how he might make slight improvements.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/09/28/steelers/index.html

CPanther95
09-28-2010, 12:45 PM
Put down the axe, Ben.

CanadianSteel
09-28-2010, 12:54 PM
Nice read thanks.... Hope he comes back sharp and ready to play

venom
09-28-2010, 03:03 PM
I think he will be ready . How do you think the fans will react when he runs towards the huddle on his first poss. ?

CPanther95
09-28-2010, 03:23 PM
At home, so it should be a rousing reception.

First away game will probably have chants of "She said no, she said no" like at the draft. Hopefully, our fans will respond with "D-T-F, D-T-F"

Stlrs4Life
09-28-2010, 09:41 PM
Coach: Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger is 'going to come back sharper and hungrier'

The personal coach to Ben Roethlisberger said he believes QB will return ready to contribute to the Pittsburgh Steelers when his four-game suspension ends after Sunday's game.
"I think he's going to come back sharper and hungrier,'' George Whitfield told SI.com (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/09/28/steelers/index.html?eref=twitter_feed)'s Peter King. "He's really focused right now.''

Whitfield has been working with Roethlisberger as he served the ban ordered by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell for Roethlisberger's violation of the league's personal-conduct policy.

He told SI.com he has been impressed with Roethlisberger's commitment to football during the past month. The Steelers QB has been throwing passes to former NFL player Devard Darling and local high school players as part of the workouts.

"He likes the fact that this is like a one-month mechanics camp,'' Whitfield told SI.com of Roethlisberger's mentality. "He's a very self-aware quarterback. He'll say, 'I pat the ball, I overstride, sometimes I'm sloppy in my drop -- let's work on those things.' I think he's been very happy to be able to take some time to work on things he believes will make him a better player.''
Whitfield added that Roethlisberger is "very coachable."

The Steelers have won their first three games while Roethlisberger has been gone. Although coach Mike Tomlin refused to say that the starting job would be Roethlisberger (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/09/mike-tomlin-declines-to-say-if-ben-roethlisberger-will-be-steelers-starting-qb-after-suspension/1)'s when he returned, it's expected that the two-time Super Bowl champ will move back into the starting lineup.

Whitfield told SI.com that his first meeting at Roethlisberger's home was a little odd when he entered and saw a TV report about how the Steelers had failed to vote him a captain this season. He explained how Roethlisberger reacted.
"Ben just said, 'Hey, I put myself in this position. I've got to handle it, and I'm going to hammer my way through it,' '' Whitfield said.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...and-hungrier/1 (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/09/coach-steelers-qb-ben-roethlisberger-is-going-to-come-back-sharper-and-hungrier/1)

Merchant
09-28-2010, 10:14 PM
Wow, what a ton of pressure on Ben. He's gonna come in after being away from his teammates for a month with the entire world expecting him to light it up. Honestly, I think he's going to be a little rusty, but the bye-week and the Browns is a great way to get the ball rolling.. just in time for the Saints game where I think he's gonna have a field day in that dome.

Galax Steeler
09-29-2010, 04:40 AM
A good way to ease the pressure is the first play of the game throw the bomb to Wallace for a touchdown.

stlrtruck
09-29-2010, 06:38 AM
A good way to ease the pressure is the first play of the game throw the bomb to Wallace for a touchdown.

That would be an excellent start to his return.

O'Malley
09-29-2010, 12:16 PM
Three step drop and let it fly(if he takes five it is usually underthrown)! He will be open. I would also like to see Brown on the opposite side of the ball going deep too. That would open up the middle of the field for Heath,Ward and the running game..

Boomerang
09-29-2010, 06:25 PM
He will be ready and focussed no doubts.I can see him easing his way into the game and finding his groove in the 3rd and 4th quarters.

BigNastyDefense
09-29-2010, 07:35 PM
I don't think he's gonna be all that rusty. He's been working on the little things and he will have two weeks to get back into the groove of things. He did have training camp and the preseason, so it's not like he's been away from the Steelers since April.

steeldawg
09-29-2010, 08:56 PM
Well i dont think pressure will be a problem Big Ben can handle pressure.

O'Malley
09-29-2010, 09:00 PM
Well i dont think pressure will be a problem Big Ben can handle pressure.

Not only can he handle pressure but he thrives in it!

stillers4me
09-29-2010, 09:54 PM
He'll be fine. I just can't wait until the Cleveland game is over and all the media hoopla and we can get back to just playing football. The two weeks of the bye are going to be media hell.

steelerdude15
09-29-2010, 11:32 PM
I was thinking that too earlier today, but hey if it improves his game, I'm for it.