PDA

View Full Version : Which pair of Steelers OLBs was more dominant? Woodley/Harrison or Greene/Lloyd?

polamalubeast
06-27-2019, 05:18 PM

86WARD
06-27-2019, 08:14 PM

I’d take Greene/Lloyd all day.

Steeldude
06-27-2019, 10:52 PM
Greene/Lloyd

Too bad Lloyd and Harrison didn't play during the same time.

HollywoodSteel
06-28-2019, 01:19 AM
Greene/Lloyd

I’d probably rather have Green and Harrison. That would be a lot of sacks.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
06-28-2019, 01:32 AM
I’d probably rather have Green and Harrison. That would be a lot of sacks. Yep was thinking that earlier and that would have been amazing.

tube517
06-28-2019, 07:47 AM
Greene/Lloyd

Ditto.

Those 2 together would have made opposing OT's run away.

teegre
06-28-2019, 09:13 AM
Greene/Lloyd

Harrison + anybody is in the running. That’s how good Harrison was in his prime.

- - - Updated - - -

I’d probably rather have Green and Harrison. That would be a lot of sacks.

I disagree. Teams literally “avoided” Lloyd (hence he catchy mantra).

There was a game against the Cowboys, where they ran to Lloyd’s side on two straight plays, both for no gain. Lloyd walked over to the Cowboys’ sideline and told them to stop running his way “Or... it’ll be a long day for you.” So, they stopped running to his side for the rest of the game. :lol:

86WARD
06-28-2019, 09:35 AM
Any combo, I’d take Lloyd and Harrison...that would be beyond Just Plain Nasty.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-28-2019, 10:14 AM
The Steelers-Bears game from 1995 was just on NFL network. Reminded me of how different the game was in the early to mid 90's. Steelers had Kirkland and Olsavsky at ILB and Greene/Lloyd didnt look that quick or athletic, but it didnt matter as the game was more ground and pound.

The first 5 years Woodley was in the league, the Steelers were always a top 5 defense and Deebo was in the conversation for Defensive MVP often, while Woodley was setting the edge and averaging near double digit sacks. I think those 5 years were better than any 5 year stretch by Greene/Lloyd.

polamalubeast
06-28-2019, 10:17 AM
The Steelers-Bears game from 1995 was just on NFL network. Reminded me of how different the game was in the early to mid 90's. Steelers had Kirkland and Olsavsky at ILB and Greene/Lloyd didnt look that quick or athletic, but it didnt matter as the game was more ground and pound.

The first 5 years Woodley was in the league, the Steelers were always a top 5 defense and Deebo was in the conversation for Defensive MVP often, while Woodley was setting the edge and averaging near double digit sacks. I think those 5 years were better than any 5 year stretch by Greene/Lloyd.

Woodley had also 10 sacks in his first 7 playoffs games with us...I don't think Woodley was better in his prime that Greene and Lloyd in in 1990's,but he was very underrated.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-28-2019, 10:29 AM
Woodley had also 10 sacks in his first 7 playoffs games with us...I don't think Woodley was better in his prime that Greene and Lloyd in in 1990's,but he was very underrated.

True. I was a big fan of Lloyd, but realized that he was mostly an athlete and a pass rusher and that showed in the 95 Super Bowl when the Cowboys just mauled him all day in the run game. IMO, the Defensive MVP in Harrison and a big athletic OLB like Woodley that pitched in 8-10 sacks and was stout in the run game, was better than 2 pass rushing OLB's in Greene and Lloyd that were never in consideration for Defensive MVP.

steelreserve
06-28-2019, 02:36 PM
I disagree. Teams literally “avoided” Lloyd (hence he catchy mantra).

Noway, that was cause of Domino's and their stupid "Avoid the Noid" ads for their shitty pizza.

But I would still rather have Harrison + Lloyd or Harrison + Greene than either of these combos.

Harrison was the best out of the group, but I think Woodley mainly piggybacked on Harrison's success amd couldn't be a top playmaker on his own. Whereas both Lloyd and Greene were capable of destroying plays all by themselves.

vasteeler
06-28-2019, 08:32 PM
Can't wait to add Watt/Bush to that list.

hawaiiansteeler
06-28-2019, 08:47 PM
Can't wait to add Watt/Bush to that list.

Bush is an ILB.

vasteeler
06-28-2019, 09:37 PM
Bush is an ILB.

Oops

hawaiiansteeler
06-28-2019, 10:24 PM
Oops

I'm sure you meant Watt / Dupree :wink02:

teegre
06-29-2019, 08:59 AM
True. I was a big fan of Lloyd, but realized that he was mostly an athlete and a pass rusher and that showed in the 95 Super Bowl when the Cowboys just mauled him all day in the run game. IMO, the Defensive MVP in Harrison and a big athletic OLB like Woodley that pitched in 8-10 sacks and was stout in the run game, was better than 2 pass rushing OLB's in Greene and Lloyd that were never in consideration for Defensive MVP.

I must have thought more of Lloyd than he really was. I always thought he was great against the run. But, that was 20+ years ago.

I do know this about the Super Bowl: the Steelers stuffed the vaunted Cowboys rushing attack. The Cowboys only had about 50 yards on 25 carries (2 yards per carry)... which was awful for them (considering how dominant that group was).

Back to Lloyd: maybe those 50 yards were all directed at him. :noidea: I truly don’t remember.

hawaiiansteeler
06-29-2019, 11:35 AM
https://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/fan/image?url=https://stillcurtain.com/wp-content/uploads/getty-images/2018/07/84666687.jpeg&w=3200

tube517
06-29-2019, 05:42 PM
https://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/fan/image?url=https://stillcurtain.com/wp-content/uploads/getty-images/2018/07/84666687.jpeg&w=3200

Woodong sack

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-29-2019, 06:05 PM
I must have thought more of Lloyd than he really was. I always thought he was great against the run. But, that was 20+ years ago.

I do know this about the Super Bowl: the Steelers stuffed the vaunted Cowboys rushing attack. The Cowboys only had about 50 yards on 25 carries (2 yards per carry)... which was awful for them (considering how dominant that group was).

Back to Lloyd: maybe those 50 yards were all directed at him. :noidea: I truly don’t remember.

Lloyd was only something like 235lbs and I seem to recall him getting manhandled on the edge that game. He was a non factor. Maybe the DB' or ILB's limited the yardage, or maybe I'm getting sometimers in my old age. The way I rank the 4 are:

-Deebo...eventual HOF player, DPOY, impactful in the run/pass/special teams game.
-Greene...HOF, great pass rusher and decent enough run defender. all hustle team.
-Woodley...physical run defender at 265lbs, athletic enough at that size and good hand use to be productive as pass rusher. Career wasn't that long. 58 career sacks.
-Lloyd...….tough guy persona, athletic and tough enough to be an impactful pass rusher, but undersized as run defender. Legendary mean streak and durable 12 year career. 54.5 career sacks

teegre
06-30-2019, 07:53 AM
Lloyd was only something like 235lbs and I seem to recall him getting manhandled on the edge that game. He was a non factor. Maybe the DB' or ILB's limited the yardage, or maybe I'm getting sometimers in my old age. The way I rank the 4 are:

-Deebo...eventual HOF player, DPOY, impactful in the run/pass/special teams game.
-Greene...HOF, great pass rusher and decent enough run defender. all hustle team.
-Woodley...physical run defender at 265lbs, athletic enough at that size and good hand use to be productive as pass rusher. Career wasn't that long. 58 career sacks.
-Lloyd...….tough guy persona, athletic and tough enough to be an impactful pass rusher, but undersized as run defender. Legendary mean streak and durable 12 year career. 54.5 career sacks

Lloyd was 226 lbs. He was one giant muscle, who was bigger & stronger than his weight would indicate... much like Bruce Lee.

Again, maybe I’m misremembering Lloyd’s greatness; it’s been 24 years since he made those three straight All Pro teams... so, maybe he wasn’t great against the run, but only good at getting pressure (his sack numbers aren’t great), forced fumbles, tackles for losses, and tackles (he had a bunch).

Fire Goodell
06-30-2019, 07:00 PM
the woodendong

Lamberts_Lunatic
07-01-2019, 12:24 AM
the woodendong

Dong sack....lmao

Fire Goodell
07-01-2019, 12:25 AM
Dong sack....lmao

best first post ever in the history of SU :chuckle:

Lamberts_Lunatic
07-01-2019, 12:28 AM
In memory of Big Jason GilDong: in random order, his long list of monikers includes:

The Paper Tiger
Joggin' Jason
The Kong of Dong
The Flopper
The Princess of Cheeze
The $23M Fraud
The Gilded Dong
Mister Cheeze (taken from Lynrd Skynrd's Mr. Breeze)
Jason The Gimcrack
Roadkill Gildon
The Duckfooted Boy Blunder
The Floppy Dong
Puss In Boots
The 6 Million Dollar Dong
The Bullshitting Bullrusher
The Bully of Bullrushing

hawaiiansteeler
07-01-2019, 02:12 AM

it's actually titled "Call Me The Breeze"....great song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsIqEq9OFxE

teegre
07-01-2019, 10:37 AM
In memory of Big Jason GilDong: in random order, his long list of monikers includes:

The Paper Tiger
Joggin' Jason
The Kong of Dong
The Flopper
The Princess of Cheeze
The $23M Fraud
The Gilded Dong
Jason The Gimcrack
Roadkill Gildon
The Duckfooted Boy Blunder
The Floppy Dong
Puss In Boots
The 6 Million Dollar Dong
The Bullshitting Bullrusher
The Bully of Bullrushing

As good as his monikers for Gildon and/or Woodley were... nothing will ever top his nickname for Farrior:

Taunto: The Winged-God of Pass Protection

Fire Goodell
07-01-2019, 01:12 PM
As good as his monikers for Gildon and/or Woodley were... nothing will ever top his nickname for Farrior:

Taunto: The Winged-God of Pass Protection

Winged god of linebacker coverage lol

My fav was probably Limas Peed, who peed the bed as a toddler, and still does

teegre
07-02-2019, 03:50 AM
Winged god of linebacker coverage

Yes!!! :applaudit: That’s it.

polamalubeast
07-15-2019, 07:04 AM

polamalubeast
07-19-2019, 11:15 AM