PDA

View Full Version : David Carr Wants To See Big Ben Do Better Making The Routine Plays In 2019

polamalubeast
06-20-2019, 05:41 AM

pczach
06-20-2019, 05:50 AM
David Carr needs to do better at everything he is trying to do right now.

Hawkman
06-20-2019, 08:38 AM
Who really cares what David Carr wants?

vasteeler
06-20-2019, 09:13 AM
Fuck David Carr

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-20-2019, 09:21 AM
OK, nice thread for posters to just criticize David Carr and avoid the actual topic. Just classic.

pczach
06-20-2019, 09:35 AM
OK, nice thread for posters to just criticize David Carr and avoid the actual topic. Just classic.

Carr has a long history of posting nonsense. He doesn't deserve the credibility you are trying to give him.

I didn't even read it because I won't click any more of his hot takes to keep him relevant.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-20-2019, 09:53 AM
Carr has a long history of posting nonsense. He doesn't deserve the credibility you are trying to give him.

I didn't even read it because I won't click any more of his hot takes to keep him relevant.

I just find it amusing that if anybody like David Carr or Dan Orlovsky says anything that isn't appealing to fans, they just instantly discredit them for being marginal NFL backup QB's, whether they have a point or not. If they say something they like, then its full on slobber treatment.

Its pretty much in line with all those that praised guys when they were Steelers, but then hack on them because they left in free agency.

hawaiiansteeler
06-20-2019, 10:04 AM
So how many people here actually listened to the entirety of David Carr's shows before passing judgement on his comments?

and nah, Joe Montana is not one of the top 10 all-time great QBs...:jerkit:

polamalubeast
06-20-2019, 10:08 AM
I just find it amusing that if anybody like David Carr or Dan Orlovsky says anything that isn't appealing to fans, they just instantly discredit them for being marginal NFL backup QB's, whether they have a point or not. If they say something they like, then its full on slobber treatment.

Its pretty much in line with all those that praised guys when they were Steelers, but then hack on them because they left in free agency.

David Carr just don't know how to judge a QB...

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-20-2019, 12:29 PM
Bucky Brooks once compared Jarvis Jones first step quickness to that of Von Miller, during the draft process. Mike Mayock once said Alex Mack isn't that good of a O lineman, because he ends up on the ground too much in his Cal tape. Does that mean we should disregard any thought that Bucky Brooks and Mike Mayock have going forward?

I say no, but I definitely do temper it when talking about the areas they don't seem to show great ability to judge or evaluate.

DesertSteel
06-20-2019, 02:24 PM
Maybe Skip Bayless or Colin Cowherd had something to do with this!!!

pczach
06-20-2019, 02:27 PM
Bucky Brooks once compared Jarvis Jones first step quickness to that of Von Miller, during the draft process. Mike Mayock once said Alex Mack isn't that good of a O lineman, because he ends up on the ground too much in his Cal tape. Does that mean we should disregard any thought that Bucky Brooks and Mike Mayock have going forward?

I say no, but I definitely do temper it when talking about the areas they don't seem to show great ability to judge or evaluate.

I hear you, but the difference is everyone has had Joe Montana's entire career to rate him and see what kind of a quarterback he really was. It's a lot more difficult evaluating a college player and trying to project their talent into the pros. Montana's greatness was there for everyone to see, and I mean everyone. He is an all-time great that played at the highest level for an extended period of time. For Carr to say that Joe Montana isn't one of the top 10 quarterbacks of the Super Bowl era, he either believes that or he doesn't. With either position he completely discredits himself.

That's part of what I was referring to when I stated that Carr doesn't deserve to get his links clicked on. I've read a few of them, and most of what he says is either pure stupidity, or he's trying to piss people off to get more action. Either way, I can't stand people like that.

Big Ben may need to improve on making the simple plays, but Carr's opinion won't sway me because I gave him a chance to be credible....and he just isn't.

I would consider your opinion on the subject much more valid than his.

T&B fan
06-20-2019, 02:53 PM
Who really cares what David Carr wants?

:drink::clap2::amen::iagree:

polamalubeast
06-20-2019, 02:56 PM
Never been a fan of Bucky Brooks, but big difference between judging a player or a team before the facts that after the facts.

silver & black
06-20-2019, 03:24 PM
Hmmm............. two Super Bowl wins and multiple division and Conference Championships. Yea, he sucks. I can only hope my QB can suck at the same level.

Born2Steel
06-20-2019, 03:27 PM
Some opinions and editorials just make no sense, that’s all. I had a Steeler fan tell me just this week he thinks the Steelers need to start the Mason Rudolph era already. His reason was because Ben is not a running QB and the defense knows how to attack him. See I would have listened to him even in disagreement if he made any sense. But a start Rudolph because Ben isn’t mobile enough conversation is simply one I have no patience for. And that is pretty much my feelings on the Carr hot takes as well.

hawaiiansteeler
06-20-2019, 03:48 PM
Some opinions and editorials just make no sense, that’s all. I had a Steeler fan tell me just this week he thinks the Steelers need to start the Mason Rudolph era already. His reason was because Ben is not a running QB and the defense knows how to attack him. See I would have listened to him even in disagreement if he made any sense. But a start Rudolph because Ben isn’t mobile enough conversation is simply one I have no patience for. And that is pretty much my feelings on the Carr hot takes as well.

I agree, once someone says something really stupid to me I'm not that inclined to hear her/his next opinion...

43Hitman
06-20-2019, 05:05 PM
So I guess we are just your 52 kids? Seriously, could you be more condescending? Why do you give a rip what posters think on this topic and why do you feel the need to judge everyone that thinks Carr is an idiot?

Butch
06-20-2019, 06:26 PM

Just as commical as the people who go full on slobber to defend someone like David Carr or anybody else if they say anything controversial about Ben or defend the actions of AB.

I am on record as thinking AB is a great player on the field but and pure dickhead for how he left the team. Bell was just as fun to watch but seems to me was soley focused on Money and not much else. I actually believe he wanted to leave the Steelers a loooong time ago, but that's just a gut reaction.

As for JH he will always be remembered fondly by me and even though some things he has said and done have diminished what he accomplished he will always be a great player in my books

Others that have been discussed - ARE he got a ton of money from Dan Snyder and left the team on good terms no heartache here. Plex was not going to get paid and moved on to a team that would pay him. Always wished him the best when he left and welcomed him back when he finished his career with us was also a plus that he played a part in beating the cheats in the superbowl. I had no issues with Vrabel when he went to play for the cheats, as once again he left on good terms, and even had Cowher's blessings.

So your general statement about guys who praised Steeler players turning on them when they leave does not hold water here.

- - - Updated - - -

So how many people here actually listened to the entirety of David Carr's shows before passing judgement on his comments?

and nah, Joe Montana is not one of the top 10 all-time great QBs...:jerkit:

What in particular did you hear that was worth defending? :rolleyes:

polamalubeast
06-20-2019, 06:35 PM
When we say something negative on Bell and Brown, it's not because we think they were not great player .... they were great players, among the best or even the best at their position in their peak but it's how they left and how they acted for the most part especially at the end

I was tired of the drama that the steelers had in their team for many years .... Brown and Bell was not the only reason, but they were still one of the reasons of this major problem.

GoSlash27
06-20-2019, 06:52 PM
GoSlash27 wants to see David Carr STFU.

hawaiiansteeler
06-20-2019, 07:04 PM
What in particular did you hear that was worth defending? :rolleyes:

nothing, I was just being sarcastic. should have put this: :sarcasm:

Fire Goodell
06-20-2019, 07:22 PM
David Carr, the Winged God of Routine Play QBing

T&B fan
06-20-2019, 09:59 PM
Hmmm............. two Super Bowl wins and multiple division and Conference Championships. Yea, he sucks. I can only hope my QB can suck at the same level.

David Carr Super Bowl Ring ( ONE )

Carry received a Super Bowl ring as a backup for the Giants after their victory over the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLVI

silver & black
06-21-2019, 04:36 AM
David Carr Super Bowl Ring ( ONE )

Carry received a Super Bowl ring as a backup for the Giants after their victory over the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLVI

I was talking talking about Ben, not Carr.

T&B fan
06-21-2019, 06:29 AM
I was talking talking about Ben, not Carr.

oh ok my bad sorry about that .

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-21-2019, 08:11 AM
I hear you, but the difference is everyone has had Joe Montana's entire career to rate him and see what kind of a quarterback he really was. It's a lot more difficult evaluating a college player and trying to project their talent into the pros. Montana's greatness was there for everyone to see, and I mean everyone. He is an all-time great that played at the highest level for an extended period of time. For Carr to say that Joe Montana isn't one of the top 10 quarterbacks of the Super Bowl era, he either believes that or he doesn't. With either position he completely discredits himself.

That's part of what I was referring to when I stated that Carr doesn't deserve to get his links clicked on. I've read a few of them, and most of what he says is either pure stupidity, or he's trying to piss people off to get more action. Either way, I can't stand people like that.

Big Ben may need to improve on making the simple plays, but Carr's opinion won't sway me because I gave him a chance to be credible....and he just isn't.

I would consider your opinion on the subject much more valid than his.

Yeah, I agree that Montana is more likely in the top 3, not outside the top 10 and that kind of statement definitely makes you question if the guy is a hater or was backtracking from an omission or something.

But, I bet if Carr said something like "Ben poised to have breakout year with fresh young talent around him!" ...at least 50% of those Steeler fans bashing on him would be all over what he has to say.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-21-2019, 08:19 AM
So I guess we are just your 52 kids? Seriously, could you be more condescending? Why do you give a rip what posters think on this topic and why do you feel the need to judge everyone that thinks Carr is an idiot?

Not unless Kevin Colbert says I have 52 kids on this board, which doesn't look like its gonna happen.

I find it amusing that by looking at the title of the thread, the majority of the posts would not be about the actual article from SteelersDepot, but about bashing David Carr because he supposedly wants to see "Big Ben Do Better Making Routine Plays". How dare an NFL analyst suggest that the QB who lead the league in INT's could "Do Better". :doh:

GoSlash27
06-21-2019, 08:37 AM
I bet if Carr said something like "Ben poised to have breakout year with fresh young talent around him!" ...at least 50% of those Steeler fans bashing on him would be all over what he has to say.

Or on the other hand perhaps we recognize Carr as just another self-aggrandizing media jackwad and don't care what he has to say. That's a possibility too.
In fact... That seems much more likely to me.

Hawkman
06-21-2019, 09:01 AM
The fact that he stated that his brother Derek is better than Ben, lost any credibility for me.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-21-2019, 09:23 AM
Or on the other hand perhaps we recognize Carr as just another self-aggrandizing media jackwad and don't care what he has to say. That's a possibility too.
In fact... That seems much more likely to me.

Maybe that is the other 50% of Steeler fans, as I mentioned.

I mean, there is a 2 page thread on Mike Florio's opinion of the Steelers. Primarily because its an optimistic opinion of how the Steelers season will go. Imagine if it wasn't an optimistic view by Florio on the Steelers season? How many posts would there be on how Florio got something wrong in reporting, as opposed to the actual topic of his opinion?

Hawkman
06-21-2019, 09:52 AM

I mean, there is a 2 page thread on Mike Florio's opinion of the Steelers. Primarily because its an optimistic opinion of how the Steelers season will go. Imagine if it wasn't an optimistic view by Florio on the Steelers season? How many posts would there be on how Florio got something wrong in reporting, as opposed to the actual topic of his opinion?

If you are defending Carr, why not talk about and support his viewpoint, instead of going after other posters for theirs’. I haven’t read anything from you mentioning the content of the article. I personally have little respect for Carr and therefore don’t care what he writes, positive or negative. Frankly I don’t really understand what a “Routine Play” is.
Ben is Ben and has played pretty much the same style his entire career, maybe gets rid of the ball sooner than he used to. I will live and die by his style of play until he is no longer a Steeler.

GoSlash27
06-21-2019, 09:52 AM

I went over to that thread to see what you're talking about. All I saw was a few attacks on Florio, like 1 comment on the actual article (also couched in an attack on Florio), and 2 pages of discussion about whether or not Antonio Brown is a hard worker. I see nothing to support the notion that the Florio thread went to 2 pages because his article was "optimistic".
I should also point out that this thread is on it's second page as well.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-21-2019, 11:00 AM
I dont see anywhere in this thread where I actually defended Carr as Hawkman suggests. I merely pointed out the rather predictable attacks that would be hurled at Carr, without anybody actually caring to read the substance of the SteelersDepot article, or Carr's comments.

As for Ben improving on making routine plays. I think any objective fan that watched the season, saw several instances of Ben not completing passes to open receivers and yes, he definately can improve upon that. According to this article from after the KC game, Ben overthrew open WR's approx 10% of attempts that game. I dont attack Jacob Klingler for writing those stats and observations and they seem congruent with what Carr seems to suggest.

"...Roethlisberger was significantly less accurate than Patrick Mahomes. On at least 6 occasions, Roethlisberger overthrew open receivers. That's once per 10 throws and one more overthrow of an open receiver than Mahomes had incompletions the entire game." https://www.pennlive.com/steelers/2018/09/steelers_chiefs_grades.html

T&B fan
06-21-2019, 12:53 PM
The fact that he stated that his brother Derek is better than Ben, lost any credibility for me.

better then Ben was not even the biggest joke .it was that his brother was like top 7 , thats just :rofl2::rofl2:

hawaiiansteeler
06-21-2019, 02:36 PM
better then Ben was not even the biggest joke .it was that his brother was like top 7 , thats just :rofl2::rofl2:

his brother is undoubtedly better than Joe Montana :rofl2:

st33lersguy
06-21-2019, 03:04 PM

I remember, he was 4!

silver & black
06-21-2019, 04:57 PM
his brother is undoubtedly better than Joe Montana :rofl2::crazy:

- - - Updated - - -

I remember, he was 4! again...:crazy:

teegre
06-21-2019, 05:55 PM
I find it amusing that by looking at the title of the thread, the majority of the posts would not be about the actual article from SteelersDepot

As amusing as the fact that 6 of your 7 posts in this thread have nothing to do with the article either???

Note: That last “on topic” post only came about after you had been called out repeatedly.

QUESTION:
Which “50%” does that make you?

86WARD
06-21-2019, 07:53 PM
I mean is Carr really that wrong? The basic read the defense make the correct throw and have a successful play...isn’t that what everyone would like to see? Ben has mastered the “back-yard game”...he could use some work on the routine simple plays...no? People blame AB for Ben forcing the ball to him...so if AB is gone and Ben “doesn’t have to” force the balm to AB...would we all not want Ben to now make the routine play?

polamalubeast
06-21-2019, 08:01 PM
Ben had a 67% completion percentage last year

I know that it does not say everything and that yes sometimes he misses some easy throw, but you can not miss too many easy pass to be at 67%.

teegre
06-21-2019, 09:08 PM
I mean is Carr really that wrong? The basic read the defense make the correct throw and have a successful play...isn’t that what everyone would like to see? Ben has mastered the “back-yard game”...he could use some work on the routine simple plays...no? People blame AB for Ben forcing the ball to him...so if AB is gone and Ben “doesn’t have to” force the balm to AB...would we all not want Ben to now make the routine play?

Maybe. This topic was broached last season, when Ben would routinely “go for broke” on easily-convertible downs-&-distances... because, he often convert those for long gains.

3rd-&-1 Everyone is screaming for Ben to dump off. Ben throws a 20 yard completion... and everyone cheers. :willy:

3rd-&-1 Repeat. :willy:

3rd-&-1 Repeat. :willy:

3rd-&-1
Everyone is screaming for Ben to dump off. Ben throws an incompletion 20 yards down field... and everyone suddenly forgets what Ben did on the previous three third-downs. :mad2:

Hawkman
06-21-2019, 09:43 PM
I dont see anywhere in this thread where I actually defended Carr as Hawkman suggests. I merely pointed out the rather predictable attacks that would be hurled at Carr, without anybody actually caring to read the substance of the SteelersDepot article, or Carr's comments.

As for Ben improving on making routine plays. I think any objective fan that watched the season, saw several instances of Ben not completing passes to open receivers and yes, he definately can improve upon that. According to this article from after the KC game, Ben overthrew open WR's approx 10% of attempts that game. I dont attack Jacob Klingler for writing those stats and observations and they seem congruent with what Carr seems to suggest.

"...Roethlisberger was significantly less accurate than Patrick Mahomes. On at least 6 occasions, Roethlisberger overthrew open receivers. That's once per 10 throws and one more overthrow of an open receiver than Mahomes had incompletions the entire game." https://www.pennlive.com/steelers/2018/09/steelers_chiefs_grades.html

READ MY POST....If you are......... I really have no idea why you felt the need to go after everyone just because they don’t like or agree with Carr.......and I would say I don’t care.....but maybe I do. Why do you care?

Butch
06-21-2019, 09:52 PM

Yes he is that wrong. Ben makes plenty of those "routine" plays but people simply remember the ones that are not routine. The times where he scrambles around, maybe holds the ball a little to long, the pump fakes and all that, because that is what Ben is good at. Sometimes when Ben does that it makes for a spectacular play and sometimes it makes for a horrible play, but if you ask me I would much rather have Ben play his style of football than to simply make the safe play every time we have the ball. I would much rather live and die with Ben's play making ability than to have the ho-hum play that Carr is suggesting. It would be like asking Bell to simply duck his head and run rather than his patient style of running.

Butch
06-21-2019, 09:58 PM

David Carr the QB and the sports analyst suck, so does his opinion on this subject.

teegre
06-21-2019, 10:05 PM
Yes he is that wrong. Ben makes plenty of those "routine" plays but people simply remember the ones that are not routine. The times where he scrambles around, maybe holds the ball a little to long, the pump fakes and all that, because that is what Ben is good at. Sometimes when Ben does that it makes for a spectacular play and sometimes it makes for a horrible play, but if you ask me I would much rather have Ben play his style of football than to simply make the safe play every time we have the ball. I would much rather live and die with Ben's play making ability than to have the ho-hum play that Carr is suggesting. It would be like asking Bell to simply duck his head and run rather than his patient style of running.

:nod: Live by the lightsaber, die by the lightsaber.

**(but, mostly live)

Hawkman
06-21-2019, 10:26 PM
:nod: Live by the lightsaber, die by the lightsaber.

**(but, mostly live)

Are you making fun of me? :monitored::nerd::smoker::coffee:

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-22-2019, 01:09 AM
READ MY POST....If you are......... I really have no idea why you felt the need to go after everyone just because they don’t like or agree with Carr.......and I would say I don’t care.....but maybe I do. Why do you care?

It has nothing to do with Carr IMO. Anybody who doesn't write something glowing about the Steelers is hated on. It could be Peter King, Ed Bouchette, Mike Florio, Gerry Dulac, etc. If they say something great, they are reputable, but if they say something less than complimentary, they are hacks.

I would like to see Ben do better at making the routine plays, but that would be admitting that he doesn't routinely make the easy play....and that is sadly blasphemous to a certain segment of the fanbase.

hawaiiansteeler
06-22-2019, 01:21 AM
It has nothing to do with Carr IMO.

not true, this thread is about what David Carr said about Ben.

and David Carr has lost a lot of his credibility with previous comments about his own brother Derek being the 4th best QB in the NFL and Joe Montana not being a top-10 all time QB.

so yes, I choose to take with a serious grain of salt whatever comments David Carr now makes and imo rightfully so...

Butch
06-22-2019, 02:11 AM
It has nothing to do with Carr IMO. Anybody who doesn't write something glowing about the Steelers is hated on. It could be Peter King, Ed Bouchette, Mike Florio, Gerry Dulac, etc. If they say something great, they are reputable, but if they say something less than complimentary, they are hacks.

I would like to see Ben do better at making the routine plays, but that would be admitting that he doesn't routinely make the easy play....and that is sadly blasphemous to a certain segment of the fanbase.

I can't think of to many sports analysts that I do agree with on many things not just Steelers stuff. Carr is nothing but a shock jock just as many are these days. Others have a way of reporting the news without even verifying the source, or the ones who claim un-named sources. These types don't care about the facts they simply want a story that generates clicks. It has nothing to do what-so-ever with what they say about Ben it has everything to do with their style of reporting their so called facts. But don't let that stop you go ahead and eat up everything these "Hacks" sell you as long as it goes with your beliefs.

43Hitman
06-22-2019, 07:49 AM

Again, why do you care? And why do you think that you're so much more enlightened about football? Just because you coach some low level football doesn't make you the second coming of Chuck Noll, so stop acting like it.

Born2Steel
06-22-2019, 12:29 PM
That is a funny little hill to die on.

86WARD
06-22-2019, 08:49 PM

Fair enough and I would agree with that, however, it’s not really an either/or situation. If Ben plays “Ben Ball” and improves the routine/other part of his game, he’s an all,around better QB...no?

Butch
06-22-2019, 10:13 PM
Fair enough and I would agree with that, however, it’s not really an either/or situation. If Ben plays “Ben Ball” and improves the routine/other part of his game, he’s an all,around better QB...no?

Same could be said of any player who improves at any facet of their game would make them a better all around player. I simply don't have a problem with the way Ben handles routine plays. David Carr is simply trying to sell you some snake oil in the hope that he can make a quick buck, and trust me there will be plenty who will buy what he is selling. Ben has 3 - 500 yard passing games, I would bet my sweet bippy there were a lot of "Routine" plays that lead to those results. If Ben wasn't any good at making routine plays he would be David Carr.

Born2Steel
06-22-2019, 10:55 PM
Same could be said of any player who improves at any facet of their game would make them a better all around player. I simply don't have a problem with the way Ben handles routine plays. David Carr is simply trying to sell you some snake oil in the hope that he can make a quick buck, and trust me there will be plenty who will buy what he is selling. Ben has 3 - 500 yard passing games, I would bet my sweet bippy there were a lot of "Routine" plays that lead to those results. If Ben wasn't any good at making routine plays he would be David Carr.

Mic drop.

hawaiiansteeler
06-22-2019, 11:17 PM
If Ben wasn't any good at making routine plays he would be David Carr.

Ben would still be better...

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-23-2019, 01:26 AM
Again, why do you care? And why do you think that you're so much more enlightened about football? Just because you coach some low level football doesn't make you the second coming of Chuck Noll, so stop acting like it.

Did I say anything about being more enlightened about football? I don't recall that at all in this post.

Just another example that if somebody doesn't agree with a point of view, its easier to attack the person rather than discuss the point of view. Very similar to the reaction to what David Carr apparently said. Thanks, I appreciate the input. :hatsoff:

pczach
06-23-2019, 06:09 AM
I don't think anyone is trying to destroy Ben Roethlisberger here. My criticisms are about David Carr and some of the batshit crazy or irresponsible stuff he says to draw attention to himself.

Ben led the NFL in interceptions last year. Clearly, there are some things he needs to do a little better. I love Big Ben as a player. I have always been a defender of him and a huge fan, but that doesn't mean he should be above any criticism. I think that's all that Gonzo is trying to say.

I just don't think that David Carr deserves to have a voice in that criticism and that he shouldn't be taken seriously due to numerous idiotic takes.

It is the sarcastic derogatory pot shots people take at Ben all the time that piss me off. People here will literally criticize anything and everything he says. They will find ways to bitch about him no matter what. Instead of looking at others and claiming worship, they should look at what they are actually writing about a HOF quarterback and step back to evaluate how ridiculous they look and sound at times.

Is he perfect? Of course not. He deserves to be evaluated and criticized. He just shouldn't be persecuted based on a personal dislike.

I also don't think that the people at this message board that consistently rag on Ben and criticize him all the time have a clue of how great he has been or how great he still is when you consider what he has been able to do on his own and create on the field.

Born2Steel
06-23-2019, 09:08 AM
David Carr - "Joe Montana is NOT a top 10 QB of the SuperBowl era."

Why? I don't care why. That's a dumbass opinion and statement to make. He even tries to back it up with reasons he thinks that. Why he thinks that is irrelevant.

David Carr - "Ben Roethlisberger needs to be better at routine plays."

Why? I don't care why. His opinion on BigBen is irrelevant. Carr has already discredited himself with his opinion of QBs. Not giving this opinion even a glance now.

But the argument in this thread is entertaining.

Butch
06-23-2019, 09:33 AM
I don't think anyone is trying to destroy Ben Roethlisberger here. My criticisms are about David Carr and some of the batshit crazy or irresponsible stuff he says to draw attention to himself.

Ben led the NFL in interceptions last year. Clearly, there are some things he needs to do a little better. I love Big Ben as a player. I have always been a defender of him and a huge fan, but that doesn't mean he should be above any criticism. I think that's all that Gonzo is trying to say.

I just don't think that David Carr deserves to have a voice in that criticism and that he shouldn't be taken seriously due to numerous idiotic takes.

It is the sarcastic derogatory pot shots people take at him all the time that piss me off. People here will literally criticize anything and everything he says. They will find ways to bitch about him no matter what. Instead of looking at others and claiming worship, they should look at what they are actually writing about a HOF quarterback and step back to evaluate how ridiculous they look and sound at times.

Is he perfect? Of course not. He deserves to be evaluated and criticized. He just shouldn't be persecuted based on a personal dislike.

I also don't think that the people at this message board that consistently rag on Ben and criticize him all the time have a clue of how great he has been or how great he still is when you consider what he has been able to do on his own and create on the field.

I agree that any player can do better. While he lead the league in Int's that is only a part of the picture. He also lead in Yards, Attempts, was 5th best in TD's, 3rd best QBR. Not to shabby for a guy who is not able to make the routine play. :jerkit:

polamalubeast
06-23-2019, 12:47 PM

hawaiiansteeler
06-23-2019, 01:07 PM
I agree that any player can do better. While he lead the league in Int's that is only a part of the picture. He also lead in Yards, Attempts, was 5th best in TD's, 3rd best QBR. Not to shabby for a guy who is not able to make the routine play. :jerkit:

too bad Ben isn't as good as Derek Carr :rolleyes:

86WARD
06-24-2019, 09:02 AM
too bad Ben isn't as good as Derek Carr :rolleyes:

Just ask AB!! Lol

86WARD
06-24-2019, 09:12 AM

Carr didn’t say he can’t make a routine play, he just wants to see him improve them. I think we all like to see Ben Roethlisberger improve. You’d be foolish not to.

teegre
06-24-2019, 09:44 AM
Carr didn’t say he can’t make a routine play, he just wants to see him improve them. I think we all like to see Ben Roethlisberger improve. You’d be foolish not to.

Improve: yes
Change his M.O.: no

If Ben attempts a dump-off on 3rd-&-1 and is unsuccessful, then Ben needs to improve his accuracy on short throws.

If Ben attempts a deep pass on 3rd-&-1 and is unsuccessful, meh, I’m fine with living by the sword.

hawaiiansteeler
06-24-2019, 11:15 AM

if only Ben watched more film and was a better leader like Peyton :stirthepot:

86WARD
06-24-2019, 01:39 PM
Improve: yes
Change his M.O.: no

If Ben attempts a dump-off on 3rd-&-1 and is unsuccessful, then Ben needs to improve his accuracy on short throws.

If Ben attempts a deep pass on 3rd-&-1 and is unsuccessful, meh, I’m fine with living by the sword.

Nah. Ben is who he is...but an improved Ben...I’ll take that anyday!!

Butch
06-24-2019, 05:59 PM

As I said I don't have a problem with the way Ben handles routine plays.

Carr is an idiot, will always be an idiot and I care less for his shock jock style of reporting or analyzing. He has absolutely no credibility what-so-ever. You want to call me a fool then have at it but I am not the one who is trying to defend the words of...David Carr.

hawaiiansteeler
07-14-2019, 07:09 PM
Ben Roethlisberger Led NFL Last Season In Pass Attempts Into End Zone

By Dave Bryan
Posted on July 14, 2019

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/07/ben-roethlisberger-led-nfl-last-season-in-pass-attempts-into-end-zone/

Born2Steel
07-14-2019, 08:02 PM
I found a different perspective on this subject recently. "Routine Play". In the huddle the QB/OC calls 2 plays. If we see "X" we go with the called play. If we see "y" we run play 2. Huddle breaks and 11 players are looking for the same 'defensive tell'.
Not a "Routine Play". The QB waits until he gets to the line of scrimmage and reads the defense and the decides what play he wants, maybe after sending a guy in motion or after a few "Omahas" and foot lifts.

Even though Ben is pretty darn good at the 'no huddle' and improvising after the snap, the "Routine Play" stands a much better chance of success with all 11 players on the same page and not sitting in their stance for 20 seconds every play. If this is what David Carr is saying then I agree. However, coming from David Carr who's really listening?

Butch
07-14-2019, 09:03 PM
I found a different perspective on this subject recently. "Routine Play". In the huddle the QB/OC calls 2 plays. If we see "X" we go with the called play. If we see "y" we run play 2. Huddle breaks and 11 players are looking for the same 'defensive tell'.
Not a "Routine Play". The QB waits until he gets to the line of scrimmage and reads the defense and the decides what play he wants, maybe after sending a guy in motion or after a few "Omahas" and foot lifts.

Even though Ben is pretty darn good at the 'no huddle' and improvising after the snap, the "Routine Play" stands a much better chance of success with all 11 players on the same page and not sitting in their stance for 20 seconds every play. If this is what David Carr is saying then I agree. However, coming from David Carr who's really listening?

Really??? Wow

So now keeping players in a stance to long means nobody is on the same page as Ben. WOW!!! Are you sure that both plays x and y are not both routine plays??? Maybe one is a "Routine" run while the other is a "Routine" pass???

I will say this again Ben does just fine at the "Routine" play if he did not he would not be a successful QB. Just in case you didn't know David Carr is an absolute idiot and it really makes me wonder how or even why anyone would ever try to justify the thoughts of an idiot.

Born2Steel
07-15-2019, 07:16 AM
Really??? Wow

So now keeping players in a stance to long means nobody is on the same page as Ben. WOW!!! Are you sure that both plays x and y are not both routine plays??? Maybe one is a "Routine" run while the other is a "Routine" pass???

I will say this again Ben does just fine at the "Routine" play if he did not he would not be a successful QB. Just in case you didn't know David Carr is an absolute idiot and it really makes me wonder how or even why anyone would ever try to justify the thoughts of an idiot.

I hope you know just how much this made me laugh. Thank you! I needed that.

polamalubeast
07-15-2019, 11:11 AM

86WARD
07-15-2019, 11:15 AM
As I said I don't have a problem with the way Ben handles routine plays.

Carr is an idiot, will always be an idiot and I care less for his shock jock style of reporting or analyzing. He has absolutely no credibility what-so-ever. You want to call me a fool then have at it but I am not the one who is trying to defend the words of...David Carr.

It’s not about defending David Carr. He’s an idiot. David Carr aside. You wouldn’t want to see Ben better than he is? Lol. Okay. By that theory, we shouldn’t want to see James Washington or JuJu get better either...you know...just the routine catch? Maybe see Pouncey get better at stopping the routine rush? No?

hawaiiansteeler
07-16-2019, 04:48 PM
Ben Roethlisberger one of only three Steelers included in latest CBS Top 100 list

The disrespect continues to be real this offseason

By Simon Chester@SimonAChester Jul 16, 2019

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/7/16/20696194/ben-roethlisberger-one-of-only-three-steelers-included-in-cbs-top-100-list-smith-schuster-heyward

polamalubeast
07-16-2019, 04:54 PM
Ben Roethlisberger one of only three Steelers included in latest CBS Top 100 list

The disrespect continues to be real this offseason

By Simon Chester@SimonAChester Jul 16, 2019

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/7/16/20696194/ben-roethlisberger-one-of-only-three-steelers-included-in-cbs-top-100-list-smith-schuster-heyward

The fact that players like David Decastro is not on this list is so embarrassing and I'm not saying that because he's a steelers

86WARD
07-16-2019, 07:32 PM
The fact that players like David Decastro is not on this list is so embarrassing and I'm not saying that because he's a steelers

That’s a joke of a list.

polamalubeast
07-26-2019, 09:50 AM
Regular season MVP for Ben in 2019?

Skip Bayless think it will be the case...

polamalubeast
07-26-2019, 04:17 PM

polamalubeast
07-26-2019, 04:56 PM
Ben practiced a lot his routines play today ...

T&B fan
07-27-2019, 09:06 AM
Regular season MVP for Ben in 2019?

Skip Bayless think it will be the case...

oh no the great Skip ... the man who told everyone that the browns would rule the north with Johnny football .

Skip Bayless think it will be the case no more like Skip Bayless think it will be the curse .

polamalubeast
07-27-2019, 10:08 AM

- - - Updated - - -

oh no the great Skip ... the man who told everyone that the browns would rule the north with Johnny football .

Skip Bayless think it will be the case no more like Skip Bayless think it will be the curse .

For his prediction with Manziel it was just awful, but it was not his worst prediction in 2014 for Skip Bayless.

He also predicted in 2014 that in the NBA, Derek Fisher was going to be a more successful head coach than Steve Kerr and it was after both were hired (Fisher by the Knicks and Kerr by the Warriors)!

teegre
07-27-2019, 11:01 AM
It is simple...

Steelers = clicks

First part of the off-season: derision. Result: clicks.

Middle part of the off-season: how will the Steelers climb out of this hole??? Result: clicks.

Last part of the off-season: the Steelers look gooood!!! Result: clicks.

polamalubeast
07-31-2019, 10:12 AM
Kurt Warner ranks the top 10 QBs heading into the 2019 season....Roethlisberger is 5th..

Today, I give you my #KurtsTop10 list ahead of the 2019 season. Again, this is simply a ranking of the quarterbacks who I feel are the best in the game RIGHT NOW. To eliminate some foreseeable disagreements (knowing we can't eliminate them all), I have supplied three factors I took into account when making my evaluations.

1) How does the QB play in the biggest moments? This includes third-down and red-zone situations, how he plays in the final two minutes of a half or a game when plays must be made and, finally, how he performs on the biggest stages in the postseason.

2) Decision making. Many break this down into a touchdown-to-interception ratio, but for me, it goes much deeper. I weigh whether the passer made the right decision on each and every play, which can mean varying statistical results. It includes questions like: Did he make the right read? Did he force a throw into coverage? Did he execute the timing, velocity and trajectory of a throw? Did he throw the ball away when needed? Did he take a sack when he didn't need to? Or was taking a sack the best thing to do in the given situation? I realize this is a big category, but that's what goes into playing the toughest position in sports.

3) Winning. We are in the business of winning games and competing for championships (and our jobs). So which players give their teams the best chance to win each and every time they step on the field? Yes, it's a team game, and no quarterback can win a game by himself, but no position has a greater impact on the success of the team than this one. Thus, it has to factor in.

5.Ben Roethlisberger

We're all interested to see how Big Ben fares after losing the other two components of the Killer Bs (receiver Antonio Brown and running back Le'Veon Bell) over the offseason. I think it'll be business as usual for the veteran passer. Roethlisberger might not lead the NFL in passing yards like he did in 2018, but I have no doubt he'll keep the Steelers in every game, as the 16th-year pro has done throughout his tenure in the league. What has impressed me most about Big Ben is his ability to win games in so many different ways. Early in his career, he made plays off-schedule. Then he transitioned to making big throws downfield with his strong arm. Now, he makes quick decisions and gets the ball out of his hands on time. It's the completeness with which he plays the position that gives him a slight edge over Russell Wilson. Speaking of ...

read more

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001037947/article/2019-nfl-season-tom-brady-drew-brees-still-top-qb-rankings?campaign=Twitter_atn

Rotorhead
07-31-2019, 10:24 AM
I still do not understand the talking point that we are losing 2, we lost Bell last year (he didn’t play for us!) Every time I see a headline saying we lost 2 major offensive ppl, I just skip it because the person writing the article obviously doesn’t know anything about the Steelers.

pczach
07-31-2019, 04:53 PM
I still do not understand the talking point that we are losing 2, we lost Bell last year (he didn’t play for us!) Every time I see a headline saying we lost 2 major offensive ppl, I just skip it because the person writing the article obviously doesn’t know anything about the Steelers.

It just works for the drama creators in the media. They want to paint it that way because it is more apocalyptic.

I ignore much of what they say anymore.

polamalubeast
07-31-2019, 04:57 PM

That's true for many not seem to remember that Bell did not play with the steelers last year, but in this case it was not the point for Kurt Warner.

polamalubeast
08-01-2019, 10:08 AM

pczach
08-01-2019, 04:40 PM

Baker Mayfield can because he is a great leader and he has accomplished so much in the NFL...…..and he's not Ben...….:jerkit:

polamalubeast
08-02-2019, 06:53 AM

Born2Steel
08-02-2019, 08:18 AM
Baker Mayfield can because he is a great leader and he has accomplished so much in the NFL...…..and he's not Ben...….:jerkit:

Combine OBJ, Baker calling out WRs, MT getting a record contract in NO, and the Browns losing as usual.....combustion.

polamalubeast
08-02-2019, 08:44 AM
Combine OBJ, Baker calling out WRs, MT getting a record contract in NO, and the Browns losing as usual.....combustion.

I would not be surprised if the Browns imploded .... I do not know when, maybe not this year (even if it's possible) but with Odell, I expect it to happen someday.especially with a big personality at the QB position that seems to care about what people like Colin Cowherd or others say about him and his teammates.

polamalubeast
08-02-2019, 09:25 AM

polamalubeast
08-04-2019, 03:52 PM

The only thing Ben needs to prove is that he's still a great QB at 37 years old, but it's like that for every old QB ... Ben proved before the killer B's era who could have success with several WR and he has won several ways in his career.

It's highly likely that Ben will overtake Elway and Marino for the number of win in his career for a QB this year and he could have over 60,000 career yards this year .... Not much has to be proven for him

Kirk Cousins is by far the QB with the most to prove ... Aaron Rodgers also has something to prove this year after a 6-9-1 season.

polamalubeast
08-08-2019, 09:20 AM

polamalubeast
08-08-2019, 09:38 AM

I hope however that this stats is for the entire career for Ben and not since 2010 otherwise it does not mean much...