PDA

View Full Version : Third string TE

Hound
06-13-2019, 08:55 AM
https://nfltraderumors.co/trade-lions-trade-te-michael-roberts-to-patriots-for-conditional-7th-rd-pick/
Was hoping the Steelers would have made this move and secured the TE position. Maybe I’m completely wrong and Gentry is ready.

hawaiiansteeler
06-14-2019, 08:22 PM
Roberts failed his physical...

steelreserve
06-14-2019, 08:34 PM
Third TE is gonna suck for years, we've fully committed to it

st33lersguy
06-14-2019, 09:41 PM
Do teams even use 3rd string TEs for more than like 10 plays a season?

hawaiiansteeler
06-14-2019, 09:44 PM

not unless there's an injury to the top 2.

I think the Steelers have much bigger problems than who the 3rd string TE is going to be this season...

DesertSteel
06-14-2019, 10:30 PM
Sometimes they’re the long snapper.

hawaiiansteeler
06-15-2019, 03:02 AM
my prediction: Zach Gentry will end up being just as good as Jesse James.

seriously, who on the Lions made the decision to pay JJ that much money? :noidea:

Hound
06-15-2019, 05:27 AM
Well, Vance hasn’t been the model of health throughout his career. Going back to San Francisco he was injured every season. Last season was Vance first full healthy season for the Steelers. So Yeah, the third string TE could be a big deal, and why wouldn’t anyone not want to upgrade any position on the team

- - - Updated - - -

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/steelers-had-2017-pre-draft-interest-in-recently-waived-lions-te-michael-roberts/

Born2Steel
06-15-2019, 09:11 AM
I think the thought right now is McDonald IS healthy, they seem to like the Xman for some reason, and they're giving Gentry time in TC and preseason to show he can make the squad. I would be ok with bringing in Leggett or similar quality TE for the competition but I don't feel it is urgent at this point. There are a couple PS guys already and Samuels was listed as a TE(SAK) on his scout sheet.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-15-2019, 10:29 AM

I think the Steelers have much bigger problems than who the 3rd string TE is going to be this season...

Exactly!

This is like a threat titled " Steelers #6 WR"

Hound
06-15-2019, 12:23 PM
https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/vance-mcdonald/6717
The facts are , most of his professional career he has got hurt. I hope he stays healthy for the whole season, I’m just concerned about the depth. The Steelers have been snake bitten before for not having sufficient backups. Besides JuJu and Vance there is a lot of unknowns at WR and TE. I would not mind the Steelers signing a veteran TE that is a decent receiver and a good blocker. All reports is Gentry struggles in the run game.

hawaiiansteeler
06-15-2019, 12:37 PM
Pouncey puts wrap on spring practice, identifies top sleepers

By JIM WEXELL

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/Pittsburgh-Steelers-Maurkice-Pouncey-identifies-teams-top-sleepers-for-training-camp-132857971/

Hound
06-15-2019, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the article, was a good read. Hopefully when the pads get put on they both still look good.

steelreserve
06-15-2019, 07:48 PM

Unfortunately, one of those problems is that we have also committed to a #2 TE who sucks. And another problem is that the #1 TE seems a bit injury-prone. Overall, I think we are a bit thin at the position and made a poor draft pick.

We might be fortunate and not have too many problems this season, but over a two or three-year period - yeah, we are going to see some REAL scrubs on the field for a significant amount of playing time.

BlackAndGold
06-15-2019, 08:16 PM
If the #3 TE spot is the biggest worry on this team they are in good shape.....

Depth TE can be found via trade during camp and preseason. This is nothing to worry about right now.

86WARD
06-18-2019, 09:15 PM
Talk about random thread topic...off-season is alllllllllllmost over...

Hound
06-19-2019, 09:43 AM
Looking at the Steelers roster, the two positions that SEEM to lack depth if the starter gets hurt is TE and FS. With Vance history of injury, should be a position the Steelers need to add depth at. I’m sure before training camp starts a TE will be brought in

tube517
06-19-2019, 10:16 AM
Talk about random thread topic...off-season is alllllllllllmost over...

Yep. Off season produces 3rd string TE and Greatest Backup QB in Steelers history threads. lol

Next up... is Sutton Smith the next Jon Kuhn HOF'er???

munchy
06-21-2019, 12:03 PM
Third TE is gonna suck for years, we've fully committed to it

so is our second TE

steelreserve
06-22-2019, 12:24 PM
so is our second TE

Yeah, that's the only reason any of this matters. If we hadn't fucked up on the backup TE, then who cares about the third-string guy.

Instead, the problem is more like, we've got zero depth at the position, and our TE group might as well be called "Glass Joe and the FUCKIN Dipshits" - which incidentally was also the name of a garage band I was in during middle school.

Born2Steel
06-22-2019, 12:39 PM
Yeah, that's the only reason any of this matters. If we hadn't fucked up on the backup TE, then who cares about the third-string guy.

Instead, the problem is more like, we've got zero depth at the position, and our TE group might as well be called "Glass Joe and the FUCKIN Dipshits" - which incidentally was also the name of a garage band I was in during middle school.

So were you Glass Joe or a Dipshit?

steelreserve
06-22-2019, 03:26 PM
So were you Glass Joe or a Dipshit?

Soda Popinski

Hound
06-22-2019, 04:18 PM
Vance is injury prone, a third string TE is now the second string TE, a rookie who has issues blocking is now the third string TE. I personally think this could be a issue for the team. I know some think it’s a nonissue, and it’s silly to even mention it. But Vance has a hard time staying healthy! https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/vance-mcdonald/6717

Born2Steel
06-22-2019, 05:31 PM
Soda Popinski

I don't think I ever made it past Hurricane whatshisname.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
06-22-2019, 07:52 PM
People are forgetting about goal line fumble guy and maybe why. I think he is a decent 2 TE and can't we forgive him ? After all Boz Will be forgiven after he makes his first field goal.

hawaiiansteeler
06-22-2019, 08:27 PM
After all Boz Will be forgiven after he makes his first field goal.

not if he misses his second one :stirthepot:

06-22-2019, 09:26 PM
not if he misses his second one :stirthepot: True! Boz missed XP's pissed me off more though. Anyhow back on topic and lets talk Grimble.

hawaiiansteeler
06-22-2019, 10:20 PM
Anyhow back on topic and lets talk Grimble.

if we're gonna get back on topic then we need to discuss Zach Gentry. he's the Third string TE, not Grimble.

06-22-2019, 10:56 PM
if we're gonna get back on topic then we need to discuss Zach Gentry. he's the Third string TE, not Grimble. I know that but everyone in this post is acting like we don't have a 2nd TE! Which I think is decent and glad he is on the team.

Born2Steel
06-22-2019, 11:05 PM
When James was the 1, Grimble was the 2. BUT when Green was here he was the 1 even though he seldom played making James the 2 and Grimble the 3. NOW with McDonald being the 1, Grimble is again the 2 only because James left. The way I see it McDonald is the 1, Grimble is still a 3, and Gentry hasn't made the 53 yet. I still think some TE of the 2nd tier will be brought in or traded for this offseason. I'm not sure why the blocking skill level is such a hot button with these TEs though. We have extra Tackles to put in in jumbo sets, we need a weapon TE to step up. Grimble and/or Gentry could still be that guy. Yes there is a need today but backup TE is not a panic position. Yet.

06-22-2019, 11:06 PM
As for Gentry a guy with his size is worth being patient and seeing if he has talent. Steelers either struck out with him or hit a huge home run but need time to know.

hawaiiansteeler
06-22-2019, 11:20 PM
As for Gentry a guy with his size is worth being patient and seeing if he has talent. Steelers either struck out with him or hit a huge home run but need time to know.

I believe Gentry will turn out to be at least as good as Jesse James.

06-23-2019, 12:12 AM
I believe Gentry will turn out to be at least as good as Jesse James. Me too and caught one of Michigan's later season game where he looked impressive.

Steeldude
06-23-2019, 12:57 AM

Yep, like the 2nd starting OLB and CB

Hound
06-23-2019, 06:45 AM
When the Steelers use the jumbo the defense knows that they are running the ball.

Hound
06-23-2019, 07:44 AM
I’m sure the Steelers are going to bring in or trade for a TE(they put a claim in on Leggett). I also have high hopes for Xavier, but he has not proven anything over the past three years.

Born2Steel
06-23-2019, 08:53 AM
When the Steelers use the jumbo the defense knows that they are running the ball.

Yes. But they don't know from where, on what snap count, and they still have to beat the block to stop it. My point is a blocking TE is the same as adding an extra tackle in the Jumbo, and we already have a few of those. It's not the run game that is worrisome heading into this season so much as passing weapons for Ben. Adding a great blocking TE does not help the offense at this point.

teegre
06-23-2019, 01:22 PM
Yep, like the 2nd starting OLB and CB

I’m not going to start up a Dupree conversation. (Everyone has dug in their heels in both sides of that debate.)?

But, the “2nd starting CB”...??? :huh: I think Steven Nelson is the best “2nd starting CB” that we’ve had in a while. He’s not the greatest, but it beats the other “traffic cones” we’ve trotted out there for a decade.

Hound
06-23-2019, 04:15 PM
If the Steelers didn’t care about a TE blocking ability, Bucky Hodges would never have been cut. Jumbo package brings 8 men in the box. A true TE forced the defense to be honest. Chucks isn’t going to make a safety cover the flats. My TE is a DECENT receiver and a Good blocker. To expect anything more this late in the off season is unrealistic.

Born2Steel
06-23-2019, 05:05 PM
If the Steelers didn’t care about a TE blocking ability, Bucky Hodges would never have been cut. Jumbo package brings 8 men in the box. A true TE forced the defense to be honest. Chucks isn’t going to make a safety cover the flats. My TE is a DECENT receiver and a Good blocker. To expect anything more this late in the off season is unrealistic.

Then I say sign him. It's not a one extreme or the other proposition. A good blocking TE that is decent in the pass game is also called 'tackle eligible'. Trust me it's a thing. The point I was trying to make is not that the TE doesn't block but that a 2nd tier receiving TE is a bigger need than a 2nd tier blocking TE with the current personnel. Agreed there are no 1st tier, starter quality guys that fit this need, however that gets defined.

BTW, I have no idea why Hodges was waived before the draft. Other than he hasn't played a single snap of football since being drafted he was great.

hawaiiansteeler
06-23-2019, 07:01 PM
BTW, I have no idea why Hodges was waived before the draft. Other than he hasn't played a single snap of football since being drafted he was great.

he never dropped one single pass, missed any blocking assignments or had one holding penalty called against him :wink02:

Hound
06-24-2019, 09:10 AM
Do you really feel calling a tackle eligible a decent receiving option is true? C’mon you know that’s not true. Chances of finding a high quality receiving TE is slim to none unless a trade or some means of compensation is given. A player that can make the defense play honest is all we can hope for. Sure the Steelers will make a move.

teegre
06-24-2019, 09:46 AM
Aside from his (brain dead) fumble in the Denver game, Grimble has looked like a good backup. He has improved every season. His hands are good. I like him.

Hound
06-24-2019, 11:25 AM
If Xavier gets an opportunity, I hope he grabs it and runs with it. The physical talent is definitely there.

munchy
06-24-2019, 11:45 AM
People are forgetting about goal line fumble guy and maybe why. I think he is a decent 2 TE and can't we forgive him ? After all Boz Will be forgiven after he makes his first field goal.

its easier o forgive a guy that has made significant contributions to the team in the past compared a to bum that has had only one significant play and that was a Ftard move

HollywoodSteel
06-27-2019, 12:20 AM
If the Steelers actually intend to use Samuels as a traditional H-back, is this kind of like having another TE?

I know it isn’t what most NFL teams do nowadays, but an H-back provides a similar function as a TE who might block or catch, keeping a defense honest as you guys say.

steelreserve
06-27-2019, 12:58 AM
If the Steelers actually intend to use Samuels as a traditional H-back, is this kind of like having another TE?

I know it isn’t what most NFL teams do nowadays, but an H-back provides a similar function as a TE who might block or catch, keeping a defense honest as you guys say.

All I know is that H-Back bullshit usually just means a guy who is not a good enough runner to be a good running back, and not a good enough receiver or blocker to be a good tight end, but just enough of an "all-around athlete" to tease you that he might be good at either one, but what actually happens is he sucks at both, and then he gets a 4-game suspension for PEDs and is never heard of again. We had a couple of guys like that, I think.

Samuels looks more like a regular running back with slightly better-than-average receiving skills, but with a few question marks as an every-down ballcarrier, so maybe more of a situational back.

Now where's my Star Wars movie about the shit-eating dog.

HollywoodSteel
06-28-2019, 01:29 AM

In the works! Disney loves the concept!

teegre
06-28-2019, 09:17 AM
All I know is that H-Back bullshit usually just means a guy who is not a good enough runner to be a good running back, and not a good enough receiver or blocker to be a good tight end, but just enough of an "all-around athlete" to tease you that he might be good at either one, but what actually happens is he sucks at both, and then he gets a 4-game suspension for PEDs and is never heard of again. We had a couple of guys like that, I think.

Samuels looks more like a regular running back with slightly better-than-average receiving skills, but with a few question marks as an every-down ballcarrier, so maybe more of a situational back.

Normally, Yes.

But, Samuels was more of a receiver in college than a runner.

Additionally, if he switched to TE full time, Samuels would be our 2nd best TE. So, having him as our 3rd TE saves us a roster spot.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-28-2019, 10:21 AM
Normally, Yes.

Additionally, if he switched to TE full time, Samuels would be our 2nd best TE. So, having him as our 3rd TE saves us a roster spot.

Agreed, Samuels was more of a receiving threat than used in the run game. I said in his draft year that his skillset reminded me more of Ronnie Harmon and I still think that.

As a TE, he isn't a good enough blocker to be much of a factor in the run game when lined up as a TE or H-back. Likewise he isn't athletic enough as a TE that a Safety cant cover him adequately. I think he is best suited where he is, as a RB to create mismatches vs LB's in the pass game, but a decent enough runner to get situational yards in the run game.

steelreserve
06-28-2019, 04:20 PM
Normally, Yes.

But we committed already to two shitty backup TEs. I guess theoretically we could cut Grimble for little or no cap penalty, but we aren't doing that, you can just tell.

In the works! Disney loves the concept!

Great! Do you mind passing a message along: If casting is not finished by July 1, I will sneak into Disneyland and beat up all the princesses in Fantasyland. I know it sounds extreme, but you gotta make these Hollywood prima donnas stick to the schedule. Tarantino was the same way until Princess Ariel got two black eyes.

Hound
06-29-2019, 08:47 AM
https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/zach-gentry-among-the-key-players-to-watch-this-summer-due-to-potential-domino-effect/
Good article that explains the possibility of the Steelers bringing in another TE

teegre
06-29-2019, 09:22 AM
Agreed, Samuels was more of a receiving threat than used in the run game. I said in his draft year that his skillset reminded me more of Ronnie Harmon and I still think that.

As a TE, he isn't a good enough blocker to be much of a factor in the run game when lined up as a TE or H-back. Likewise he isn't athletic enough as a TE that a Safety cant cover him adequately. I think he is best suited where he is, as a RB to create mismatches vs LB's in the pass game, but a decent enough runner to get situational yards in the run game.

Real question:
Is Samuels that much “worse” at blocking than the current #2 & #3 TEs on the roster?

Were I in charge of the roster, I’d keep Samuels as the #3 RB... and the “emergency” #3 TE. It saves a roster spot for an extra WR or CB (or whomever).

Hound
06-29-2019, 09:37 AM
Samuels had a hard time picking up ILB in pass protection last year, not betting he could seal the edge on a DE.

hawaiiansteeler
07-09-2019, 01:53 PM
Asked and Answered: July 9

Bob Labriola
STEELERS.COM

AARON AMBROSE FROM COLUMBUS, OH: The Steelers drafted Zach Gentry to replace Jesse James. What do you think of Gentry’s talent level vs. James’, and what can we realistically expect to see in his first year?

ANSWER: What Zach Gentry is able to contribute as a rookie will be determined by his ability to stay healthy enough during training camp to be able to practice daily so that he can work on his craft as he’s being coached. At this point, that’s an unknown, but I have been told Gentry is a more physical player than Jesse James.

https://www.steelers.com/news/asked-and-answered-july-9

HollywoodSteel
07-11-2019, 09:08 AM
Asked and Answered: July 9

Bob Labriola
STEELERS.COM

AARON AMBROSE FROM COLUMBUS, OH: The Steelers drafted Zach Gentry to replace Jesse James. What do you think of Gentry’s talent level vs. James’, and what can we realistically expect to see in his first year?

ANSWER: What Zach Gentry is able to contribute as a rookie will be determined by his ability to stay healthy enough during training camp to be able to practice daily so that he can work on his craft as he’s being coached. At this point, that’s an unknown, but I have been told Gentry is a more physical player than Jesse James.

https://www.steelers.com/news/asked-and-answered-july-9

I know this is off topic, but per that same “asked and answered” article
I learned something new.

“ANSWER: For performance enhancing drugs (PEDs), NFL players can be tested at any time of the year, all year long. For substances classified as recreational drugs, such as marijuana, players who are not in the NFL’s substance-abuse program are to be tested just one time between April 20 and Aug. 9. If a player is not in the NFL’s substance-abuse program, that means he never has tested positive for recreational drugs at any time during his NFL career, nor at the Scouting Combine he attended.”

Does this mean that, if you’re not in the drug program, once you test clean in the preseason you can do all the recreational drugs you want with no fear of being tested?

Good to know. Not for me personally or anything...

hawaiiansteeler
08-01-2019, 09:58 PM
– Zach Gentry is going to win down the seam. Build-up speed player, long strider, use his size to be a big target for quarterbacks. That’s his game. If he has to break down and change directions, he’s going to struggle. Get him vertical.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/08/2019-steelers-training-camp-diary-day-six/

hawaiiansteeler
08-01-2019, 11:20 PM
• Is Kevin Rader improving his stock in the race for the No. 3 tight end? The Pine-Richland product repped multiple times Thursday, supplanting fifth-round pick Gentry. Known more for blocking, Rader showed good hands with multiple “traffic” catches, including a touchdown.

• Former rugby player Christian Scotland-Williamson had a strong practice, at one point sealing Anthony Chickillo on the edge with a block. But Scotland-Williamson mostly gained notice for a “combat catch” for a touchdown in an 11-on-11 red-zone simulation. Coach Mike Tomlin grinned and yelled, “You just scored in American football, baby! Nice play!” Then Tomlin pointed across the field to tight ends coach James Daniel and said, “I know ‘JD’ is excited about this!”

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers-inside-the-ropes-chris-boswell-jordan-berry-put-on-notice/

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-02-2019, 09:59 AM
– Zach Gentry is going to win down the seam. Build-up speed player, long strider, use his size to be a big target for quarterbacks. That’s his game. If he has to break down and change directions, he’s going to struggle. Get him vertical.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/08/2019-steelers-training-camp-diary-day-six/

Gentry is a decent receiving threat and I think a converted QB from highschool. I think he can develop over a season or 2 and be a suitable replacement for James. If anybody watched any Michigan games or tape of him, they would see his understanding of defenses as a former QB help him to get open on the field for completions.

tube517
08-02-2019, 01:31 PM
Gentry is a decent receiving threat and I think a converted QB from highschool. I think he can develop over a season or 2 and be a suitable replacement for James. If anybody watched any Michigan games or tape of him, they would see his understanding of defenses as a former QB help him to get open on the field for completions.

He'll get the "Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeath" chant now. :chuckle:

polamalubeast
08-02-2019, 06:53 PM

polamalubeast
08-03-2019, 03:36 PM
OUCH

86WARD
08-03-2019, 04:32 PM
Third string TE...who cares?

polamalubeast
08-03-2019, 04:36 PM
Third string TE...who cares?

we need a second string TE right now too...

86WARD
08-04-2019, 05:50 AM
we need a second string TE right now too...

That’s something to care about. Third string TE...you could probably find a better one on the waiver wire.

How is Gentry doing?

polamalubeast
08-04-2019, 09:39 AM
That’s something to care about. Third string TE...you could probably find a better one on the waiver wire.

How is Gentry doing?

Gentry is not bad, but I think he's just a project right now, a bit like Jesse James at his rookie season in 2015, so my expectations are very low for him for this year

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-04-2019, 09:52 AM

How is Gentry doing?

I agree, I am interested in seeing Gentry in preseason games. I think he can elevate to the #2 TE spot, but the ability of Scotland-Williamson to block might make him worthy of being on the 53. I still think we see McDonald, Grimble, Gentry as the 3 that make the cuts.

polamalubeast
08-04-2019, 02:56 PM
Another trade for the Steelers with Gruden?

hawaiiansteeler
08-12-2019, 05:05 PM
https://saturdaytradition.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Screenshot-2494-e1565442559157-718x490.png

teegre
08-13-2019, 07:13 AM
Another trade for the Steelers with Gruden?

Luke Wilson... hmmm... two words about him: Not Sure.

86WARD
08-13-2019, 08:33 AM
Willson would be more of a second TE than a third. I’d like to see more of Gentry in the preseason...this would probably be the last position I would address...

pczach
08-13-2019, 03:38 PM
Luke Wilson... hmmm... two words about him: Not Sure.

https://media.giphy.com/media/kg4UjN7AGt5io/giphy.gif

08-13-2019, 05:04 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/kg4UjN7AGt5io/giphy.gif I would sooner have Owen and he has better reach on the ball with his nose.

cubanstogie
08-13-2019, 08:55 PM
The Vikings have 5 TE’s on roster better than our 3rd stringer. There will be plenty of scraps to choose from in next few weeks.

hawaiiansteeler
08-13-2019, 09:10 PM
Willson would be more of a second TE than a third. I’d like to see more of Gentry in the preseason...this would probably be the last position I would address...

I agree, the backup safety position needs to be addressed first.

we're one injury away from having Jordan Dangerfield, Marcus Allen or Kameron Kelly being a starter.

teegre
08-14-2019, 07:14 AM

That was an “old school” gif.

- - - Updated - - -

I would sooner have Owen and he has better reach on the ball with his nose.

True.

But... Luke has Brawndo!!!

polamalubeast
08-16-2019, 07:30 AM

polamalubeast
08-18-2019, 10:02 AM

teegre
08-18-2019, 10:13 AM
Grimble had a chance to seize the #2 spot... but, he literally & figuratively dropped the ball.

tube517
08-18-2019, 10:54 AM

The Godfather

steelreserve
08-18-2019, 02:54 PM
Grimble is the Carey Davis of tight ends. Change my mind.

Six Rings
08-18-2019, 03:19 PM

How is Gentry doing?

My thoughts Also Samuels can play some TE.

hawaiiansteeler
08-18-2019, 03:37 PM
My thoughts Also Samuels can play some TE.

Samuels can't block well enough to play TE...

BlackAndGold
08-18-2019, 04:13 PM
Really hope Gentry is healthy and plays next week. Didn't play last night.

Hawkman
08-18-2019, 10:07 PM
Anyone see the block that Grimble threw on the first TD. I’ll keep him. One bad drop but one good catch in traffic. Not sure if he’s #2 but let’s give him more and not judge him on one catch last year.

08-18-2019, 10:40 PM
Rumors are the Steelers are in trade talks with Dallas to acquire this aging TE.

https://www.milibrary.org/sites/default/files/events/listing_images/1421456662/Nolte-%20North%20Dallas%2040.jpg

Mojouw
08-19-2019, 12:08 AM
Rumors are the Steelers are in trade talks with Dallas to acquire this aging TE.

https://www.milibrary.org/sites/default/files/events/listing_images/1421456662/Nolte-%20North%20Dallas%2040.jpg

And you have won the internet. Well done

HollywoodSteel
08-19-2019, 01:13 AM

Except he was aWR in that movie. Not aTE.

Hawkman
08-19-2019, 07:10 AM

:rofl2::rofl2:

tube517
08-19-2019, 07:16 AM

I think they meant this guy:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/670xX/photos/noltemug.jpg

86WARD
08-19-2019, 07:27 AM
2nd string TE is a bigger question...

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-19-2019, 12:10 PM

Thank you! we knew Phil Elliot wasn't at TE.

Still, on the Steelers front, Grimble might just make it based on experience and nobody else to supplant him. One longshot possibility is that he doesn't make the 53 and Gentry makes it more as a pass catcher, while CSW makes the squad more as a blocker.

hawaiiansteeler
08-19-2019, 10:04 PM
Looking for a tight end?

The Steelers may be in the market for a tight end to back up Vance McDonald. Keep an eye on Tampa Bay as a trade option because Tanner Hudson is really making things complicated at tight end for the Buccaneers.

In the first two weeks of the preseason against the Steelers and the Miami Dolphins, Hudson has 13 catches for 177 yards and two touchdowns.

Some are thinking he could steal a job from backup tight end Anthony Auclair. Others are wondering if he may make Cameron Brate’s $7 million price tag expendable.

Before any of that happens, though, Hudson needs to make himself a better blocker. Head coach Bruce Arians ripped his blocking after the Miami game, saying, “He hurts himself when he gets beat on third-and-1 and we don’t make the first down. If he can learn to block he can really be an asset because he can really run and catch.”

At 6-5, 240 pounds, it may be wise to give Hudson’s blocking room to grow and perhaps deal Brate or Auclair.

https://triblive.com/sports/first-call-browns-agent-replies-to-raiders-gm-possible-tight-end-option-for-steelers/

08-20-2019, 03:44 AM
Except he was aWR in that movie. Not aTE. Haha and haven't seen the movie in over 5 years. His build in the movie remind me of a TE and not WR.

teegre
08-20-2019, 07:48 AM

He’s good & all, but he uses a heck of a lot of drugs.

Not Sure is the smartest person on the planet!!! Then again, since this (below) is his agent/lawyer, I could foresee a holdout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZHCVyllnck&app=desktop&persist_app=1

08-20-2019, 08:18 AM
Haha Idiocracy another great movie I haven't seen in a few years. If they ever do a remake I think they should cast AB as President Camacho and Levon Bell for Dax Shepard's role.

86WARD
08-20-2019, 08:20 AM
There will be several TEs that will hit the market that will be better back up options than Grimble. Gentry should be good as a TE3 for now. It’s the TE2 spot that is the bigger concern because if McDonald goes down, Grimble isn’t the answer...not close...

86WARD
08-20-2019, 08:29 AM
After seeing a few preseason games, I’d actually keep 7 WRs and 2 TEs (McDonald and a nice veteran backup).

JUJU
Moncrief
Washington
Switzer
Johnson
Spencer
Rogers

McDonald
veteran TE.

You can always add a TE3. After a while, they’re all pretty much the same and no one is ruching out to pick Grimble up of the free agent heap. Gentry probably would stick to the PS as well.

hawaiiansteeler
08-22-2019, 04:55 PM
2019 Steelers Training Camp Recap: Tight Ends

By Alex Kozora
Posted on August 22, 2019

For the rest of the preseason, we’ll give a recap, position-by-position, player-by-player of what I saw during the 2019 Pittsburgh Steelers training camp and preseason games. Let’s review the tight ends.

Tight Ends

Vance McDonald:

to read rest of article:

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/08/2019-steelers-training-camp-recap-tight-ends/

polamalubeast
08-28-2019, 02:18 PM
Future HOF Antonio Gates?

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-28-2019, 04:30 PM
Who is this Andrew Filliponi that posters keep referencing his tweets? His opinions are horrible. Does he have some kind of relevance, or is he some forum member? I mean, it seems like Matthew Marczi has more logical assertions on topics.

hawaiiansteeler
08-28-2019, 04:34 PM
Who is this Andrew Filliponi that posters keep referencing his tweets? His opinions are horrible. Does he have some kind of relevance, or is he some forum member? I mean, it seems like Matthew Marczi has more logical assertions on topics.

did you read his Jadeveon Clowney trade proposal? and he couldn't even spell Jadeveon correctly. :doh:

https://twitter.com/ThePoniExpress/status/1166786239019794432

Mojouw
08-28-2019, 05:04 PM

Hey, now. It's on Twitter. Gotta be legitimate. Why stop and think about information sources when we can just tell about things on the internet?

hawaiiansteeler
08-28-2019, 05:45 PM
I mean, it seems like Matthew Marczi has more logical assertions on topics.

ooohhhh, now that's some cold shit!!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-28-2019, 05:58 PM
did you read his Jadeveon Clowney trade proposal? and he couldn't even spell Jadeveon correctly. :doh:

https://twitter.com/ThePoniExpress/status/1166786239019794432

Yeah, why bother to dubble check spelling or use spelled check?

At least he spelled Josh Dobbs to Indy for a 6th round pick. :rofl2:

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, now. It's on Twitter. Gotta be legitimate. Why stop and think about information sources when we can just tell about things on the internet? I forgot. I just think that I follow people like Rich Eisen and Bill Simmons on Twitter and they have some insight into sports entertainment. This @phonyexpress guy is less than insightful.

- - - Updated - - -

ooohhhh, now that's some cold shit!!!

Yeah, maybe pushed it too far. I had a Snickers bar and feel better now. :pop2:

hawaiiansteeler
08-28-2019, 06:04 PM
Seven Tight End Options The Steelers Should Consider

By Alex Kozora
Posted on August 28, 2019

Haven’t done enough.

That’s how Mike Tomlin summed up the state of the Pittsburgh Steelers’ tight end group. And if there weren’t already alarm bells going off signaling a roster move, there sure are now.

With that in mind, here are seven options that would make sense for the Steelers to consider as a late-preseason trade or cutdown add. All speculation of course but these suggestions are in-line with the moves Kevin Colbert tends to make this time of year.

to read rest of article:

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/08/seven-tight-end-options-the-steelers-should-consider/

DesertSteel
08-28-2019, 06:22 PM
My twitter sources are telling me that we're trading Josh Dobbs to the Pats for the rights to Gronk, who is coming out of retirement to sign a 3-year extension with the Steelers for $55M.

hawaiiansteeler
08-28-2019, 06:29 PM
My twitter sources are telling me that we're trading Josh Dobbs to the Pats for the rights to Gronk, who is coming out of retirement to sign a 3-year extension with the Steelers for $55M.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BRBml11CYAAhf36.jpg

Shoes
08-28-2019, 07:10 PM
2019 Steelers Training Camp Recap: Tight Ends

By Alex Kozora
Posted on August 22, 2019

For the rest of the preseason, we’ll give a recap, position-by-position, player-by-player of what I saw during the 2019 Pittsburgh Steelers training camp and preseason games. Let’s review the tight ends.

Tight Ends

Vance McDonald:

to read rest of article:

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/08/2019-steelers-training-camp-recap-tight-ends/

TE, haven't done enough. No worries we can stick anyone in there:toofunny:

hawaiiansteeler
08-28-2019, 07:13 PM
TE :toofunny:

if we had just drafted a TE in the first round for the last 5 years we wouldn't have this problem now, huh? :chuckle:

Shoes
08-28-2019, 07:21 PM
if we had just drafted a TE in the first round for the last 5 years we wouldn't have this problem now, huh? :chuckle:

Nah, we have Nix and Samuels

polamalubeast
08-28-2019, 08:58 PM

HollywoodSteel
08-28-2019, 10:12 PM

True. We would not have this exact problem.

teegre
08-29-2019, 06:55 AM
Keep two TEs. Use Samuels as the “emergency” (in case of injury) TE. Use that extra spot for Tuzar Skipper.

If we need a third TE for a certain game, simply pick one up off of the street. Really. There’s be no difference (considering their performances in the preseason). That, or, simply promote Gentry from the PS for a week.

SUMMATION:
That third spot would be better utilized by keeping a player at a different position.

86WARD
08-29-2019, 07:03 AM

Ouch...

polamalubeast
08-29-2019, 07:14 AM
Keep two TEs. Use Samuels as the “emergency” (in case of injury) TE. Use that extra spot for Tuzar Skipper.

If we need a third TE for a certain game, simply pick one up off of the street. Really. There’s be no difference (considering their performances in the preseason). That, or, simply promote Gentry from the PS for a week.

SUMMATION:
That third spot would be better utilized by keeping a player at a different position.

If the Steelers want to make a lineup with 3 TE (which is only in goal line situation) the steelers just need to use an extra O-lineman for the 3rd TE ... Anyway I do not think a team have 3 TEs who are all good receivers.

But I admit that I am surprised that Colbert did not make a trade this week for a backup TE(second TE) ... Colbert had made trade before the 4th preseason often in the last few years ... But not the case this year

86WARD
08-29-2019, 07:57 AM
If the Steelers want to make a lineup with 3 TE (which is only in goal line situation) the steelers just need to use an extra O-lineman for the 3rd TE ... Anyway I do not think a team have 3 TEs who are all good receivers.

But I admit that I am surprised that Colbert did not make a trade this week for a backup TE(second TE) ... Colbert had made trade before the 4th preseason often in the last few years ... But not the case this year

Not shocking. There will be plenty of 2nd and 3rd TEs better than what is on the Steelers roster released for “free” in the next couple weeks.

polamalubeast
08-29-2019, 07:20 PM

86WARD
08-29-2019, 08:36 PM

Grimble is a third TE at best....

polamalubeast
08-30-2019, 06:25 AM
Grimble is a third TE at best....

who will be our number 2?

2 others possibility...

polamalubeast
08-30-2019, 11:04 AM