PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger Impressed By New WRs Moncrief, Johnson As Steelers 2019 Minicamp Gets Underway

polamalubeast
06-11-2019, 01:37 PM
Last week during the final OTA practices, Pittsburgh Steelers rookie wide receiver Diontae Johnson talked about the limited time he had recently received with the first-team offense and more specifically, with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. Johnson, who was the team’s first of two third-round draft picks this year, explained during that media session how Roethlisberger tested him some during those limited reps and how he felt that overall he passed. On Tuesday, Roethlisberger seemingly confirmed that his rookie wide receiver passed those tests.

“The one thing I noticed was he caught every ball I threw to him,” Roethlisberger said Tuesday, according to Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “I even threw him some bad balls on purpose, throw some high, behind him, just to see if he would catch them. And he caught every one. It was impressive.”

Roethlisberger describing a rookie wide receiver as being impressive during OTAs is in itself, impressive. And it doesn’t sound like any of what he said was hyperbole, either, and that’s certainly great news.

read more

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/roethlisberger-impressed-by-new-wrs-moncrief-johnson-as-steelers-2019-minicamp-gets-underway/

Fire Goodell
06-11-2019, 02:46 PM
Right on

Method28
06-11-2019, 03:37 PM
How crazy would it be if Johnson comes right in and has a Juju type rookie season!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Born2Steel
06-11-2019, 05:59 PM
With a WR corps of JuJu, Moncrief, Washington, Johnson, Switzer, Rogers, and the list of PS guys, are we still lacking a true "X" WR? I guess it will be Moncrief and Johnson taking that spot for this season. Depending on how that plays out are we still in the market for a true "X"? I feel confidence in Ben enough to make Moncrief and Johnson as good as they can be this season so I'm not worried about the position. Just throwing it out there to see if there are any thoughts or if everyone is in 'wait and see' mode.

- - - Updated - - -

How crazy would it be if Johnson comes right in and has a Juju type rookie season!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Ummm...crazy awesome.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
06-11-2019, 07:00 PM
I think the depth we have at wr we are a better team this year then last. Also the depth a qb and rb is the best it's been in awhile. I think the offense is set!

Mojouw
06-12-2019, 09:06 AM
I heard the other day that AB, Bryant, Juju, and Washington's first NFL "touches" (reception or return) were all for TDs. So Johnson has that to try and equal...

polamalubeast
06-12-2019, 09:10 AM
I heard the other day that AB, Bryant, Juju, and Washington's first NFL "touches" (reception or return) were all for TDs. So Johnson has that to try and equal...

Crazy and this is true I think.

GBMelBlount
06-12-2019, 11:13 AM
Fixed it.

“It will be fun,” said Roethlisberger, when asked about the offense now trying to fill the void left by the trading away of Brown this offseason.

“There are some (ass) holes that have been lost.

We have a lot of guys who desire to fill those voids. It’s not going to be one person. It’s going to be a lot of different people.”

Fire Goodell
06-12-2019, 05:19 PM
Fixed it.
:chuckle:

GBMelBlount
06-14-2019, 11:10 AM
:chuckle:

LOL. You know, I am glad we are rid of Brown because he was a cancer. However the problem I have with what happened is that by getting rid of him didn't it cost us some $20 million in cap space?...and now, if I am not mistaken, we are the 2nd most cap-strapped team in the league.

Fire Goodell
06-14-2019, 01:53 PM
LOL. You know, I am glad we are rid of Brown because he was a cancer. However the problem I have with what happened is that by getting rid of him didn't it cost us some $20 million in cap space?...and now, if I am not mistaken, we are the 2nd most cap-strapped team in the league.

Hey the standard is the standard lol

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-14-2019, 02:03 PM

$20 million to get rid of a cancer. Seems like there are foundations, charitable organizations, etc that have spent a lot more than that and have not been successful.

Craic
06-16-2019, 01:37 AM
The thing is, this was the year to do it as we had the cap space to eat it up. Honestly, it couldn't have come at a better time all things considered. Bell actually did us big favor by not signing as carrying over his cap space from last year will eat up most of the dead money.

HollywoodSteel
06-16-2019, 03:18 AM
The thing is, this was the year to do it as we had the cap space to eat it up. Honestly, it couldn't have come at a better time all things considered. Bell actually did us big favor by not signing as carrying over his cap space from last year will eat up most of the dead money.

And next year AB’s $20 million will be off the books so we’ll be in good shape to extend players and even hunt for a quality FA.

Six Rings
06-16-2019, 09:55 AM
Last week during the final OTA practices, Pittsburgh Steelers rookie wide receiver Diontae Johnson talked about the limited time he had recently received with the first-team offense and more specifically, with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. Johnson, who was the team’s first of two third-round draft picks this year, explained during that media session how Roethlisberger tested him some during those limited reps and how he felt that overall he passed. On Tuesday, Roethlisberger seemingly confirmed that his rookie wide receiver passed those tests.

“The one thing I noticed was he caught every ball I threw to him,” Roethlisberger said Tuesday, according to Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “I even threw him some bad balls on purpose, throw some high, behind him, just to see if he would catch them. And he caught every one. It was impressive.”

Roethlisberger describing a rookie wide receiver as being impressive during OTAs is in itself, impressive. And it doesn’t sound like any of what he said was hyperbole, either, and that’s certainly great news.

read more

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/roethlisberger-impressed-by-new-wrs-moncrief-johnson-as-steelers-2019-minicamp-gets-underway/

I like these details as they send light on Johnson's ability to catch the football. I also learned long ago never to put much stock in OTA's. Was Johnson getting open vs Haden, or the 5th-8th string cornerback?

- - - Updated - - -

read more

I like these details as they send light on Johnson's ability to catch the football. I also learned long ago never to put much stock in OTA's. Was Johnson getting open vs Haden, or the 5th-8th string cornerback?

hawaiiansteeler
06-17-2019, 02:29 PM
https://primary-cdn-shortstop.espn.net/b79ecdf5-5aa5-4939-8c18-765ed87027ae.jpeg