PDA

View Full Version : Steelers OLB Bud Dupree: ‘This Is Going To Be The Best Year I’ve Played In The NFL

polamalubeast
06-06-2019, 05:47 PM

polamalubeast
06-06-2019, 07:40 PM

Like one has said in the comment below this tweet,the 3-4 defense is a dead system!

Shoes
06-06-2019, 08:06 PM
Soon he will doing Ziggy Hood type Videos

86WARD
06-06-2019, 08:48 PM
The soggy hood training videos? Lol

Shoes
06-06-2019, 09:55 PM
The soggy hood training videos? Lol

:lol:

hawaiiansteeler
06-06-2019, 10:04 PM
so Dupree plans on tackling opposing players instead of missing them this season?

good thing we picked up his 5th year option...

Mojouw
06-06-2019, 10:20 PM
So what would Dupree have to do to silence the critics?

10 sacks? 12? 15?

No snark or animosity at all. Just a question that I'm not sure of the answer to. Interested to see where folks put the benchmark.

hawaiiansteeler
06-06-2019, 11:48 PM

10 sacks? 12? 15?

No snark or animosity at all. Just a question that I'm not sure of the answer to. Interested to see where folks put the benchmark.

I would say double digit sacks...

86WARD
06-07-2019, 05:51 AM
I would say double digit sacks...

Double digit sacks or double digit dong sacks?

teegre
06-07-2019, 06:42 AM
Forget sacks. It’s an overinflated stat.

Getting pressure on 10% of his snaps would make me happy.

st33lersguy
06-07-2019, 08:10 AM
I'm disappointed, set the bar a little higher at least

munchy
06-07-2019, 01:01 PM
so now that hes playing for a new contract next year he is going to try..............nice attitude

Method28
06-07-2019, 01:52 PM

Getting pressure on 10% of his snaps would make me happy.While I agree with you....for me Dupree is going to have to show he going to finish some plays. I'd need 8 or more sacks to feel he's made a drastic impact. I generally would look at pressure....but he needs to show something

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

86WARD
06-07-2019, 02:29 PM

Getting pressure on 10% of his snaps would make me happy.

Pressure as in pressure or pressure as in running past the QB?

steelreserve
06-07-2019, 04:11 PM

10 sacks? 12? 15?

Make an impact on the play when it involves him.

Mojouw
06-07-2019, 05:17 PM
Make an impact on the play when it involves him.

So what does that even mean? How do you propose to assess that?

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-07-2019, 06:27 PM

10 sacks? 12? 15?

He has too many critics. For that reason, he needs at least 12 sacks, as his critics will put up at least 5 as dong sacks and still pile on with some other observation that he doesn't set the edge in the run game.

Dupree could have 10 sacks, 40 tackles, be a solid run defender and be effective dropping in coverage and he would still have very vocal critics. just look at how some fans complained about Lawrence Timmons his entire career in B&G.

steelreserve
06-07-2019, 07:10 PM
So what does that even mean? How do you propose to assess that?

You said in another thread that it was frustrating to see people make these kinds of subjective evaluations with no real way of quantifying them.

However, it is also my experience that when you do attempt to quantify such opinions objectively - if the other person did not agree with your point in the first place, they will simply say, "Well, I don't like those statistics, so they don't count."

OLB is also a bit difficult because the stats are not really very good at capturing most of what an OLB does, and every single stat comes with a "yeah but."

Sacks? Your sample size is ridiculously small and tiny fluctuations in individual games can distort it incredibly. You might as well try to measure a baseball player's performance with grand slams only. Tackles? Getting straight tackles isn't really the OLBs job. Setting the edge? No stat for that. Messing up the play by disrupting their blocking and making someone drop what they're supposed to be doing to deal with you? No stat for that either. Getting blocked out of the play and having minimal impact? No stat. Guy running past you as you lamely reach out a forearm, to no effect? No stat.

In other words, there are no sabermetrics for that - you kind of just have to tell whether a guy sucks or not. A good player who's making a difference, you will be saying "Yeah! Look at 93!" several times a game. I can probably count the number of times I've said that about Dupree on one finger, and you can guess which one it is. Most of the time when his name is called, it's more like "Huh. I forgot Dupree was in the game."

Sorry if thst isn't good enough, but I don't know what else to tell you.

polamalubeast
06-07-2019, 07:14 PM
If Dupree would be impacful as James Harrison was in 2016, that would already be a big improvement.

Born2Steel
06-07-2019, 07:21 PM
Fans that think Dupree is a bad football player are simply just going to go on thinking that.

Mojouw
06-07-2019, 07:26 PM
You said in another thread that it was frustrating to see people make these kinds of subjective evaluations with no real way of quantifying them.

However, it is also my experience that when you do attempt to quantify such opinions objectively - if the other person did not agree with your point in the first place, they will simply say, "Well, I don't like those statistics, so they don't count."

OLB is also a bit difficult because the stats are not really very good at capturing most of what an OLB does, and every single stat comes with a "yeah but."

Sacks? Your sample size is ridiculously small and tiny fluctuations in individual games can distort it incredibly. You might as well try to measure a baseball player's performance with grand slams only. Tackles? Getting straight tackles isn't really the OLBs job. Setting the edge? No stat for that. Messing up the play by disrupting their blocking and making someone drop what they're supposed to be doing to deal with you? No stat for that either. Getting blocked out of the play and having minimal impact? No stat. Guy running past you as you lamely reach out a forearm, to no effect? No stat.

In other words, there are no sabermetrics for that - you kind of just have to tell whether a guy sucks or not. A good player who's making a difference, you will be saying "Yeah! Look at 93!" several times a game. I can probably count the number of times I've said that about Dupree on one finger, and you can guess which one it is. Most of the time when his name is called, it's more like "Huh. I forgot Dupree was in the game."

No that's fair enough. But it could flow into a self fulfilling prophecy where someone's opinion just doesn't update.

For me Robert Golden and Jordan Dangerfield could be co MVPS and I'd still think they both suck.

Mojouw
06-07-2019, 07:27 PM
He has too many critics. For that reason, he needs at least 12 sacks, as his critics will put up at least 5 as dong sacks and still pile on with some other observation that he doesn't set the edge in the run game.

Dupree could have 10 sacks, 40 tackles, be a solid run defender and be effective dropping in coverage and he would still have very vocal critics. just look at how some fans complained about Lawrence Timmons his entire career in B&G.

Sounds pretty legit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrancoLambert
06-08-2019, 07:13 AM

Sounds like you’re using the “eye test” which can be pretty reliable if you've watched a lot of football.

:thumbsup:

munchy
06-08-2019, 11:09 AM
probably the fans defending dupree are the same ones that think finishing .500 is good enough
different fans have different expectations

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-08-2019, 03:23 PM
probably the fans defending dupree are the same ones that think finishing .500 is good enough
different fans have different expectations

I am not in the camp of "defending Dupree", as much as I realize that his play is not as bad as the haters think. Unfortunately he hasn't lived up to the potential of a guy with 40" vertical that is so quick at 265lbs and I think his pass rush hand use is sadly poor, hence the lack of quality sack and pressure totals. I think he sets the edge, uses his speed and strength to collapse the pocket, but he hasn't shown the ability to consistently finish as a pass rusher and that is what the expectation is.

Dupree is a good OLB to execute his responsibilities but isn't a difference maker on the edge in the pass game. Essentially I think he is as good as Clark Haggans was in the run game,(maybe better) but isn't the pass rusher Haggans was. So he is below the Haggans standard IMO.

Steeldude
06-08-2019, 03:24 PM
That isn't saying much.

hawaiiansteeler
06-08-2019, 04:29 PM
That isn't saying much.

yeah, should be fairly easy to do...

DesertSteel
06-08-2019, 07:06 PM

10 sacks? 12? 15?

At least 10 sacks and a couple splashy plays in coverage.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
06-08-2019, 09:08 PM
Look not a huge fan of Bud but he is decent and can't upgrade every position in a year or two. I hope next year they will draft his upgrade in the early rds. Unless his upgrade is already on the team but for now he is serviceable for this coming season.

Born2Steel
06-08-2019, 09:15 PM
I am not in the camp of "defending Dupree", as much as I realize that his play is not as bad as the haters think. Unfortunately he hasn't lived up to the potential of a guy with 40" vertical that is so quick at 265lbs and I think his pass rush hand use is sadly poor, hence the lack of quality sack and pressure totals. I think he sets the edge, uses his speed and strength to collapse the pocket, but he hasn't shown the ability to consistently finish as a pass rusher and that is what the expectation is.

Dupree is a good OLB to execute his responsibilities but isn't a difference maker on the edge in the pass game. Essentially I think he is as good as Clark Haggans was in the run game,(maybe better) but isn't the pass rusher Haggans was. So he is below the Haggans standard IMO.

I think this puts it very well. Nobody is saying Dupree is a top edge rushing OLB. But he's not the total garbage some on here tag him with either. This is probably his last year with the Steelers anyway.

pepsyman1
06-08-2019, 10:15 PM

I think those are the kind of numbers most of us would have to see to feel like he wasn't a bust. Silencing critics is almost impossible because the expectation was so high for a top pick outside linebacker for this team. It won't happen, but if those numbers reflected the year It think most of us would say "Ok, he's good enough to get the job done". Especially with Watt on the other side. I don't think he'll get there. It doesn't seem like he's gotten any stronger since his rookie year. He still gets ridden past the QB on rushes. It doesn't seem that his repertoire has expanded in his moves either. Everything seems speed reliant and he's got no where to go after that. Hopefully we are all wrong and he cranked it up in the weight room and is ready anchor his side of the field.

Steeldude
06-09-2019, 09:15 AM
Look not a huge fan of Bud but he is decent and can't upgrade every position in a year or two. I hope next year they will draft his upgrade in the early rds. Unless his upgrade is already on the team but for now he is serviceable for this coming season.

For $9 million he needs to be better than decent.