PDA

View Full Version : Is Artie Burns’ time in Pittsburgh coming to an end?

polamalubeast
06-04-2019, 05:04 PM
The Steelers already declined the fifth-year option on Artie Burns‘ rookie contract. Is the team thinking of moving on from the cornerback?

Burns is due an $800,000 roster bonus on the first day of training camp, so these could be the final few days for Burns in Pittsburgh, Ed Bouchette of TheAthletic.com reports.

read more

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/04/is-artie-burns-time-in-pittsburgh-coming-to-an-end/

Fire Goodell
06-04-2019, 05:08 PM
most likely

Edman
06-04-2019, 06:10 PM
Yes. Burnt has committed mental suicide. He has given up on himself. He thinks of himself as toast, so that is what he is.

The guy is mentally shot, and when your mind isn't there, you're through.

Though it isn't entirely his fault. Steelers Defensive coaching has been atrocious. When you have a raw athlete, coaching has to be on point, and the Steelers just didn't have that. I'm not mad at Artie, I'm just sad for him.

Artie Burnt is done.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-04-2019, 06:56 PM
Tough call. Do they pay the $800k roster bonus and see if he can have a good training camp? Or do they cut ties and save the $800k to use elsewhere?

At best, he makes the team and starts on the outside, while Steve Nelson plays the slot. More realistically he is behind Nelson and Haden on the outside and Hilton will play the slot. Something tells me they pay him the $800k and keep him to see if they can salvage some production and progress from him. Hilton is a RFA in 2020 and they can give him a contract next season and by then Justin Layne has 1 year as an NFL pro behind him.

I really don't know if the Steelers will just give up on Burns after 3 seasons. The Jarvis Jones experience says they keep him one more.

polamalubeast
06-04-2019, 07:08 PM

GoSlash27
06-04-2019, 07:11 PM
I'm pretty sure he's done.

Six Rings
06-04-2019, 07:20 PM
Burns is almost finished here. I so badly wanted X Howard that year.

DesertSteel
06-04-2019, 09:53 PM
He’ll be on the roster in 2019, for one final season.

AtlantaDan
06-05-2019, 08:10 AM
If Burns is going to be released before training camp to avoid paying the $800K the decision presumably has been made

Doubtful what Burns does in mini-camp will be meaningful enough to make a difference - my guess is they pay the bonus and wait until Burns performance in preseason to decide

In the running for one of the all time worst first round picks by the Steelers in their modern (after Noll arrived) era - last time I recall a first round pick being released prior to the start of his 4th regular season was 1996 pick Jamain Stephens - at least the Steelers got a 6th round pick when they gave up on 1999 pick Troy Edwards when trading Edwards to the Rams in 2002

steel striker
06-05-2019, 09:23 AM
I think he will be released very soon.

BlackAndGold
06-05-2019, 11:28 AM
Do they keep 6 corners?

Haden, Nelson, Hilton and Layne are locks.

Sutton has versatility and can play inside and outside corner. So I think he could stick.

Will be interesting to see what they do but Burns time in the Burgh may be over.

Mojouw
06-05-2019, 11:43 AM
Surprised they haven't asked him to defer the bonus until September like Boswell.

polamalubeast
06-05-2019, 11:45 AM
Surprised they haven't asked him to defer the bonus until September like Boswell.

Maybe Burns refused that if the steelers offered that.

steelreserve
06-05-2019, 11:45 AM
He should be released but probably won't. With first-round picks, for some reason we completely lose sight of the concept of sunk costs and throwing good money after bad.

If this guy was drafted in any other round or brought in as a FA, the only way he's not out the door ages ago is if it was an unlucky kick and our foot got stuck in his asshole. But if it's a first-round pick, we act like it's STILL costing us draft picks all the way to the bitter end, so we waste years re-provimg what was obviously proven.

polamalubeast
06-05-2019, 11:46 AM
In fact,maybe not

Shoes
06-05-2019, 04:45 PM
He should be released but probably won't. With first-round picks, for some reason we completely lose sight of the concept of sunk costs and throwing good money after bad.

If this guy was drafted in any other round or brought in as a FA, the only way he's not out the door ages ago is if it was an unlucky kick and our foot got stuck in his asshole. But if it's a first-round pick, we act like it's STILL costing us draft picks all the way to the bitter end, so we waste years re-provimg what was obviously proven.

That reason is egg on face.

steelreserve
06-05-2019, 05:24 PM
That reason is egg on face.

What's more embarrassing ... missing on a draft pick, or dragging the process out an extra 2 or 3 (sometimes expensive) years longer than it needed to be, because you dug in your heels and refused to admit it was a bad pick?

Shoes
06-05-2019, 06:20 PM
What's more embarrassing ... missing on a draft pick, or dragging the process out an extra 2 or 3 (sometimes expensive) years longer than it needed to be, because you dug in your heels and refused to admit it was a bad pick?

Well, the thinking is if they keep them long enough everyone will forget they were a #1 pick, plus pro football teams like to throw money in the shitter. :chuckle:

Born2Steel
06-05-2019, 06:35 PM
I would not be surprised at all if the Steelers saved the 800k and cut Burns before the deadline. Since I would keep Sutton, Hilton, Haden, Nelson, Layne, and Allen before signing Burns to the 53 already. I would rather re-sign Sensabaugh rather than keep Burns on the 53. If Burns makes this year’s 53 man roster it needs to be as a backup FS only, AND he better bring something on ST. I say he’s done.

Mojouw
06-05-2019, 10:04 PM
I get what everyone is saying. I really do. But 800k is chump change on an NFL cap sheet. It's like 0.0005 percent of the cap or something.

teegre
06-05-2019, 10:53 PM
Math

Veteran minimum (4 years in NFL):
$790,000

Artie Burns’ salary (also, his 4th year):
$800,000

SUMMATION:
Bringing in a vet would only save the Steelers $10,000. Plus, the new player wouldn’t know the playbook (although, one could say “neither does Burns”).

IMO, Burns has too much raw speed to cut (for $10,000). Sometimes players “suddenly” get it in year four... which is worth the risk. We had done well with taking gambles on those “fourth year busts” that other teams had cut: Yancey Thigpen, James Farrior, James Harrison, and Ryan Clark.

Steeldude
06-06-2019, 01:27 AM
Someone will cry for him like they did for Dupree. Both of them should be off the team.

Fire Goodell
06-06-2019, 12:54 PM
Someone will cry for him like they did for Dupree. Both of them should be off the team.

Dupree isn't as bad as people say. He's not all pro or pro bowl by any means, but he's a solid starter. With that said, I think he's a little overpaid on the 5th year option, but we don't have anybody behind him, so keeping him was something the FO had to do if we want to win now. I mean who's his backups, Chickillo which is a perennial 2nd string player, and Ola who's promising but VERY green. Anyone saying the dropoff between Dupree and Chickillo isn't much either isn't watching or is lying to themselves. And in either case, if Chick was the starter, who's behind him? A whole lotta nobody.

Burns on the other hand, yeah I think his time's almost up.

Dwinsgames
06-06-2019, 01:35 PM
I get what everyone is saying. I really do. But 800k is chump change on an NFL cap sheet. It's like 0.0005 percent of the cap or something.

sometimes the roster spot is more valuable than the money spent to roster a guy

Hawkman
06-06-2019, 02:22 PM
Dupree isn't as bad as people say. He's not all pro or pro bowl by any means, but he's a solid starter. With that said, I think he's a little overpaid on the 5th year option, but we don't have anybody behind him, so keeping him was something the FO had to do if we want to win now. I mean who's his backups, Chickillo which is a perennial 2nd string player, and Ola who's promising but VERY green. Anyone saying the dropoff between Dupree and Chickillo isn't much either isn't watching or is lying to themselves. And in either case, if Chick was the starter, who's behind him? A whole lotta nobody.

Let’s see what happens in the next few weeks.....maybe the new “whisperer” coach can turn him around.

- - - Updated - - -

Let’s see what happens in the next few weeks.....maybe the new “whisperer” coach can turn him around.

Burns

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-06-2019, 02:45 PM
Math

Veteran minimum (4 years in NFL):
$790,000

Artie Burns’ salary (also, his 4th year):
$800,000

SUMMATION:
Bringing in a vet would only save the Steelers $10,000. Plus, the new player wouldn’t know the playbook (although, one could say “neither does Burns”).

IMO, Burns has too much raw speed to cut (for $10,000). Sometimes players “suddenly” get it in year four... which is worth the risk. We had done well with taking gambles on those “fourth year busts” that other teams had cut: Yancey Thigpen, James Farrior, James Harrison, and Ryan Clark.

Its not really a $10,000 difference. He has a $1.757 salary this year in addition to the pro rated portion of his signing bonus. If they cut him, they save the $1.7million and that cap space to do something else with.

So lets just say they decide to part ways, they save the $1.7million in cap space to maybe work on somebody's extension and the CB room is likely Haden, Nelson, Hilton, Sutton, Layne, Allen(or another rookie). Its a one year roll of the dice that Burns makes progress this season and the price tag is $1.7million.

steelreserve
06-06-2019, 04:37 PM

How far can you fall from the bottom step?

"Solid starter" is about the last thing I would call Dupree. "Replacement-level journeyman" is more like it.

Mojouw
06-06-2019, 05:38 PM
sometimes the roster spot is more valuable than the money spent to roster a guy

That is an entirely different kettle of fish than the generally focused discussion on the 800K. If they want or need the roster spot, they can cut Burns at any time. He is 1.3 in dead cap and 1.7 in cap savings at any point between now and the expiration of his current contract. The same as any player where the cap savings is more than the dead cap $$, your spot is in jeopardy at any point.

- - - Updated - - -

How far can you fall from the bottom step?

"Solid starter" is about the last thing I would call Dupree. "Replacement-level journeyman" is more like it.

You can fall at least as far as Chickfillet and Farfignewton Yugo. Or an OLB from the MAC who is the size of a small safety.

Born2Steel
06-06-2019, 07:55 PM
I get it that Jarvis Jones was the 17th overall pick so yes he was given a 4th season to get it together. Burns was 25th overall and after what we should have learned from Jones, times up. OR trade him for a decent Kicker or backup TE.

teegre
06-07-2019, 06:44 AM
Its not really a $10,000 difference. He has a $1.757 salary this year in addition to the pro rated portion of his signing bonus. If they cut him, they save the $1.7million and that cap space to do something else with.

So lets just say they decide to part ways, they save the $1.7million in cap space to maybe work on somebody's extension and the CB room is likely Haden, Nelson, Hilton, Sutton, Layne, Allen(or another rookie). Its a one year roll of the dice that Burns makes progress this season and the price tag is $1.7million.

https://vimeo.com/65921206

steelreserve
06-07-2019, 04:07 PM
You can fall at least as far as Chickfillet and Farfignewton Yugo. Or an OLB from the MAC who is the size of a small safety.

Exactly. That's not very far.

Mojouw
06-07-2019, 05:19 PM
Exactly. That's not very far.

Dupree doesn't get isolated in coverage and taken for a TD Everytime he plays a passing down. Chickfilet does anytime he is asked to be in space. I can think of at least 2 last season and that was in limited snaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoSlash27
06-08-2019, 08:57 AM
I had forgotten this, but Artie Burns was pretty darn good in his rookie year. He fell off a cliff after that.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-08-2019, 09:38 AM
I had forgotten this, but Artie Burns was pretty darn good in his rookie year. He fell off a cliff after that.

"pretty darn good" is a bit of an overstatement to me as I remember. Burns was still raw and sloppy in his technique and coverage, and I think OC's were just getting used to him and his tendency to jump the first move, so he later became a target.

Look at these INT's, an underthrow by Tyrod and a back throw by TJ Yates. Shows up in the stats as INT, but both are more QB mistakes than great play by the CB. Fan optimism pumped up even the 1st year performance, but that pendulum has swung.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMLnBhcIOi8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLeHJz_2T2g

teegre
06-08-2019, 09:39 AM

An interesting pattern for our last three R1 CBS.

Deion Figures:
Good rookie season, shot, average afterwards.

Chad Scott:
Good rookie season, knee injury, average afterwards.

Artie Burns:
Good rookie season, lost all confidence, awful afterwards.

munchy
06-08-2019, 11:21 AM

agreed.
its worth the 800k to see if he got his head right during the off season

- - - Updated - - -

An interesting pattern for our last three R1 CBS.

Deion Figurestosuck:
Good rookie season, shot, average afterwards.

Charredd Scott:
Good rookie season, knee injury, average afterwards.

Artie Burned:
Good rookie season, lost all confidence, awful afterwards.

IDK, maybe our scouting department needs to look closer to their names when considering drafting them

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-08-2019, 11:37 AM
IDK, Chad Scott is a classic case of fans hating on him because he never lived up to the first round billing. The guy played for a decade in the NFL, over 100 games, 21 INT, over 400 tackles. He was a lot more productive than Burns, Figures and a lot of other corners that came thru the Steelers doors.

I bet if you compare the play of Chad Scott to DeShea Townsend over equal timeframes that you find they are very similar in the way of production. The only thing is that Steeler fans will love Townsend because he was a 4th round pick that became a decent #2 CB, while Scott was a 1st rounder that was a good #2CB and draws the hate.

munchy
06-08-2019, 12:08 PM
IDK, Chad Scott is a classic case of fans hating on him because he never lived up to the first round billing. The guy played for a decade in the NFL, over 100 games, 21 INT, over 400 tackles. He was a lot more productive than Burns, Figures and a lot of other corners that came thru the Steelers doors.

I bet if you compare the play of Chad Scott to DeShea Townsend over equal timeframes that you find they are very similar in the way of production. The only thing is that Steeler fans will love Townsend because he was a 4th round pick that became a decent #2 CB, while Scott was a 1st rounder that was a good #2CB and draws the hate.

you are correct.
i just looked up his numbers and they are pretty decent

GoSlash27
06-08-2019, 01:11 PM
"pretty darn good" is a bit of an overstatement to me as I remember. Burns was still raw and sloppy in his technique and coverage, and I think OC's were just getting used to him and his tendency to jump the first move, so he later became a target. Look at these INT's, an underthrow by Tyrod and a back throw by TJ Yates. Shows up in the stats as INT, but both are more QB mistakes than great play by the CB. Fan optimism pumped up even the 1st year performance, but that pendulum has swung.

EGJ, I was also looking at his tackles and breakups. 47 solo tackles, 13 breakups, and 3 picks is a pretty good season for any corner. Even 2017 was decent. 44 tackles, 13 breakups, and 1 pick. Also 2 fumble recoveries.
The conventional wisdom (and also my recollection) is as you say; Burns was a raw talent that never showed his ability. But according to the stats, Burns actually *did* show ability for his first 2 seasons and was terrible last year. Perhaps the Steelers noticed that and are looking at 2018 as an anomaly. If so, that would make them more likely to keep him around.

*edit* on the videos, I'd blame the underthrow on the QB, but Burns did well to come up with that second pick one- handed.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-08-2019, 03:11 PM
you are correct.
i just looked up his numbers and they are pretty decent

Thanks, I kind of thought so by the eye test that Scott and Townsend were equally decent corners. Its just that Scott was scrutinized as a #1 pick and expected to pay dividends on the outside right away, while Townsend was a later round pick and given the slot CB to work at and eventually became a #2 CB. Haters gonna hate, but I think both guys had NFL careers longer than a decade and that is a lot more than the average NFL player.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-08-2019, 03:16 PM
EGJ, I was also looking at his tackles and breakups. 47 solo tackles, 13 breakups, and 3 picks is a pretty good season for any corner. Even 2017 was decent. 44 tackles, 13 breakups, and 1 pick. Also 2 fumble recoveries.
The conventional wisdom (and also my recollection) is as you say; Burns was a raw talent that never showed his ability. But according to the stats, Burns actually *did* show ability for his first 2 seasons and was terrible last year. Perhaps the Steelers noticed that and are looking at 2018 as an anomaly. If so, that would make them more likely to keep him around.

*edit* on the videos, I'd blame the underthrow on the QB, but Burns did well to come up with that second pick one- handed.

Sure, you can look at Burns stats and say it was a pretty good season. That is the exact reason that he was OVERDRAFTED as well....people were enamored with his stats. I think he had 5 or 6 INT his last year at Miami, but I actually went and looked at them and they were not INT due to quality coverage, good technique or excellent CB play. Burns had a multiple INT game against I think BC and another pick was from him cheating off his coverage and jumping another guys route that the QB telegraphed.

What I am saying is that you can look at the Stats of Burns junior season at Miami and say he is a 1st round pick and you can look at his rookie NFL season stats and say he had an OK season....but if you actually watch him play or watch recordings of his play, you will see why he looked like a 4th round pick or later on film.

GoSlash27
06-08-2019, 05:28 PM
What I am saying is that you can look at the Stats of Burns junior season at Miami and say he is a 1st round pick and you can look at his rookie NFL season stats and say he had an OK season....but if you actually watch him play or watch recordings of his play, you will see why he looked like a 4th round pick or later on film.

EGJ, I'm not arguing otherwise. I'm just saying that statistically he had 2 good years and one horrible year. This contradicts the conventional wisdom that Burns was a raw talent who never showed any competence at the pro level. "Athletic but dumb", "talented but hampered by poor coaching", etc. What the stats say is that he was a good corner for 2 years who cratered in 2018.

Born2Steel
06-08-2019, 09:21 PM

Honestly, I think you just described Bud Dupree as well.

teegre
06-08-2019, 09:46 PM

Hating? :huh:

I was pointing out the pattern of...

1. CB played at level “X” as a rookie
2. Something happened
3. CB played at a level “less than X” afterwards

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, I kind of thought so by the eye test that Scott and Townsend were equally decent corners.

:toofunny: Okay... are you messing with me??? Two posts after you call me out for calling a player “average”, you call the same player “decent”.

That is rich. :lol:

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
06-08-2019, 09:55 PM
Artie Sucks and he didn't pass the eyeball test for me years back and how I was able to predict it years back. He has no skills or football instincts and only speed. Why he got exposed in the NFL for what he was. I don't see him improving at all or having any potential regardless with another team and change of scenery.

Mojouw
06-08-2019, 11:08 PM
Artie Sucks and he didn't pass the eyeball test for me years back and how I was able to predict it years back. He has no skills or football instincts and only speed. Why he got exposed in the NFL for what he was. I don't see him improving at all or having any potential regardless with another team and change of scenery.

I think that's just a result of the limits of scouting. Each draft there a dozen guys that are sure things to merge physical and mental. A dozen that have one or the other and teams hope they can develop the missing piece. And a dozen who scouting just missed identifying as having the needed set of skills.

06-08-2019, 11:38 PM
I think that's just a result of the limits of scouting. Each draft there a dozen guys that are sure things to merge physical and mental. A dozen that have one or the other and teams hope they can develop the missing piece. And a dozen who scouting just missed identifying as having the needed set of skills. I agree and also forced draft pick to feel a need.

Mojouw
06-08-2019, 11:58 PM
I agree and also forced draft pick to feel a need.

That's where I part ways. I don't really buy the forced draft pick narrative. I buy that it's more that teams roll the dice that they can develop the missing elements in a player. They all regularly make bets on guys that either have physical or mental upside with the belief they can build the missing elements up.

hawaiiansteeler
06-09-2019, 12:05 AM
That's where I part ways. I don't really buy the forced draft pick narrative.

I disagree, the Steelers wanted to select William Jackson III and when the Bengals picked him right in front of us we we reached by taking the next CB on our board which was Artie Burns.

06-09-2019, 12:09 AM
That's where I part ways. I don't really buy the forced draft pick narrative. I buy that it's more that teams roll the dice that they can develop the missing elements in a player. They all regularly make bets on guys that either have physical or mental upside with the belief they can build the missing elements up. Yep this is where we have to part ways. Steelers was taking a cb in the 1st no matter what because of huge need! If Burns would have been gone the pick still would have been cb in the first.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-09-2019, 01:19 AM
Hating? :huh:

I was pointing out the pattern of...

1. CB played at level “X” as a rookie
2. Something happened
3. CB played at a level “less than X” afterwards

- - - Updated - - -

:toofunny: Okay... are you messing with me??? Two posts after you call me out for calling a player “average”, you call the same player “decent”.

That is rich. :lol:

Teeg, I wasn't directing any Chad Scott hate at your comments. Sorry if it came across that way. I just know there are some fans that really hack on Scott with the same or more vitriol that some do with Jarvis Jones, or Senquez Golson, despite Scott having a long career in the NFL. I thought Chad Scott was a better NFL pro than Bryant McFadden...yet a lot of fans don't hate McFadden the way they mention Chad Scott.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-09-2019, 01:26 AM
EGJ, I'm not arguing otherwise. I'm just saying that statistically he had 2 good years and one horrible year. This contradicts the conventional wisdom that Burns was a raw talent who never showed any competence at the pro level. "Athletic but dumb", "talented but hampered by poor coaching", etc. What the stats say is that he was a good corner for 2 years who cratered in 2018.

The way I saw it was : year 1 -athletic and fortunate to pad his stats with some opportunistic INT's, but still lousy CB play. Year 2- couldn't break the tendency to jump the first look and wasn't disciplined in technique to avoid the big play, which got him benched. Year 3- still not embracing learning technique and now sees himself as a failure who often screws up, which has become reality.

I don't hear much about Burns being a guy that put in extra time, or listens intently to improve and works on his craft. Maybe I missed those things in the media, but he was athletic with bad technique IMO and just read his press clippings of how he could cover AB in practice, where I hope Justin Layne is a guy that intends to learn from vets like Joe Haden and be a developing pro.

06-09-2019, 02:33 AM
I disagree, the Steelers wanted to select William Jackson III and when the Bengals picked him right in front of us we we reached by taking the next CB on our board which was Artie Burns.Yep and this can't be disputed now that the truth leak a few years back. Like I said they was taking a cb in the first even if he was 4th on their list!

hawaiiansteeler
06-09-2019, 03:04 AM
Yep and this can't be disputed now that the truth leak a few years back. Like I said they was taking a cb in the first even if he was 4th on their list!

too bad the Steelers didn't have Xavien Howard as their next highest ranked CB after William Jackson III.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-09-2019, 11:08 AM
too bad the Steelers didn't have Xavien Howard as their next highest ranked CB after William Jackson III.

So true!

I cant complain, as I didn't think Howard was 1st round grade. He was big and physical, but from what I recall he was somewhat raw at the position and tended to get grabby in coverage. I was more in favor of waiting later to get Mackenzie Alexander or Fuller in 2nd or 3rd rounds. I thought Howard was a 2nd or 3rd round prospect.

While I do think Burns was a reach, there were many pundits and reportedly teams such as KC that thought highly of Burns that he was a 1st round prospect. I see parallels with Mack Wilson at ILB this year and Artie Burns. Athletes with some good numbers in college, but when you watch their games they really aren't that impressive.

teegre
06-09-2019, 02:22 PM
Teeg, I wasn't directing any Chad Scott hate at your comments. Sorry if it came across that way. I just know there are some fans that really hack on Scott with the same or more vitriol that some do with Jarvis Jones, or Senquez Golson, despite Scott having a long career in the NFL. I thought Chad Scott was a better NFL pro than Bryant McFadden...yet a lot of fans don't hate McFadden the way they mention Chad Scott.

The Steelers seem snakebitten when it comes to CBs. Even when they draft a good one, something will happen to derail his career. I’ve stated several times over the years that they should simply sign free agent CBs.

teegre
06-09-2019, 02:32 PM
So true!

I cant complain, as I didn't think Howard was 1st round grade. He was big and physical, but from what I recall he was somewhat raw at the position and tended to get grabby in coverage. I was more in favor of waiting later to get Mackenzie Alexander or Fuller in 2nd or 3rd rounds. I thought Howard was a 2nd or 3rd round prospect.

While I do think Burns was a reach, there were many pundits and reportedly teams such as KC that thought highly of Burns that he was a 1st round prospect. I see parallels with Mack Wilson at ILB this year and Artie Burns. Athletes with some good numbers in college, but when you watch their games they really aren't that impressive.

100% If the Steelers had drafted Xavien Howard, heads would have exploded... because, everyone (experts, people here) said he was raw/a project.

Also, KC was absolutely going to draft Artie Burns. They traded down immediately afterwards, because Burns was gone.

Additionally, several on here (Dwins, steelreserve) preferred Mackensie Alexander... but, not in R1.

Lastly, Sterling Shepard was the only WR that the Steelers met with during the draft process. R1 was too early for him, and if they had traded back (there were offers) the thinking was that they’d get him in early R2. If they had taken Shepard in R1... :scared: talk about heads exploding!!! In hindsight, it would have been a good pick (or, at worst, a better pick).

SUMMATION:
They wanted WJIII. Howard was seen as too raw. And, Alexander was/is a slot CB. IMO, when WJIII got drafted, they went for NEED (over the BPA).

I’ve always liked the pick, because I did not separate my heart from the pick (Burns’s story is a heartbreaker)... when I should have listened to my brain.

steelreserve
06-11-2019, 01:12 PM
100% If the Steelers had drafted Xavien Howard, heads would have exploded... because, everyone (experts, people here) said he was raw/a project.

Also, KC was absolutely going to draft Artie Burns. They traded down immediately afterwards, because Burns was gone.

Additionally, several on here (Dwins, steelreserve) preferred Mackensie Alexander... but, not in R1.

Noway man, I wanted Alexander straight-up in R1 if there was nothing clearly better available, as he was the most "game-ready" CB at that point. I had also suggested Howard with that pick, although a trade down would've been better (and apparently we were actually offered more than one that would've worked in real life). You can find posts to that effect in the pre- and post-draft threads.

Of course, many including myself were also pushing other ideas that turned out to be stupid (Andrew Billings, for example). But the main thing that really pissed me off was, if you're going to make a bold move or reach for a player, at least don't take someone where there are clearly multiple better options AT THE SAME POSITION.

We really let round-grades get in our head on the Howard/Alexander idea, but I also can't recall any world in which Burns was considered anything other than a HUGE reach/gamble as a R1 pick. Who was saying before the draft, "this guy is a solid R1-worthy corner?" No one, that's who.

And at the same time, there was seemingly no reason at all why Howard was drawing R3 grades ... like some vague concern over whether his skills would translate. Meanwhile a guy like Eli Apple has very tangible and concerning red flags about whether his skills will translate, but then he still gets pumped as the most sought-after CB in the draft behind Ramsey.

It's like ... there are 1, maybe 2 guys per position per year that everyone agrees are going to be superstars, and then half a dozen other top prospects who are segregated into R1-R3 "grades" entirely on hipshooting and hype. You could argue Mason Rudolph's QB class was the same way but it worked in our favor (maybe) that time.

hawaiiansteeler
06-11-2019, 01:24 PM
Artie Burns Ran 1st-Team Through Most Of OTAs With Joe Haden Not Practicing

By Matthew Marczi
Posted on June 11, 2019

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/artie-burns-ran-1st-team-through-most-of-otas-with-joe-haden-not-practicing/

st33lersguy
06-11-2019, 02:20 PM
If Artie gets released this summer, he would become the first 1st round draft pick to not make it to the 4th year with the team since Troy Edwards, drafted in 1999 and made 3 years with the team. Most of those players drafted after Edwards were worth keeping around, but even Jarvis Jones made 4 years with the team

hawaiiansteeler
06-11-2019, 02:34 PM
If Artie gets released this summer, he would become the first 1st round draft pick to not make it to the 4th year with the team since Troy Edwards, drafted in 1999 and made 3 years with the team. Most of those players drafted after Edwards were worth keeping around, but even Jarvis Jones made 4 years with the team

Troy Edwards is another shining example of how we reached at a position of need.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-11-2019, 02:50 PM

I don't think Burns gets released, but maybe the Steelers can use the $1.7million right away.

As for Troy Edwards, yes I was really hoping they would draft Jon Tait that season so they had a LT.