PDA

View Full Version : Sean Davis Admits Defense Must Do Better Job Creating Confusion

polamalubeast
06-04-2019, 02:36 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers’ defense is trying to overcome a host of challenges in 2019. Continue getting pressure on the quarterback, force more turnovers, identify an every-down inside linebacker. One less obvious area for improvement was suggested by Sean Davis last week – disguising coverages.

While his health and contract status dominated the headlines, his answer to asking about the safety group and defense was honestly the most interesting thing.

“I feel like we all just have to be interchangeable, man, just to hold our disguises better and confuse offenses,” he told PennLive’s Jacob Klinger last week.

In a word, the Steelers’ defense was too predictable. It’s an issue we pointed out time and time again. We literally had a September article entitled “Keith Butler’s Defense Is Terrifyingly Predictable.”

To be fair to Keith Butler and company, the way the defense was built made it static. Having a rookie like Terrell Edmunds start almost every game at safety and play more snaps than nearly any other rookie in the league wasn’t part of the plan. Had it been Morgan Burnett, as intended, the defense would’ve been more flexible and versatile. With Edmunds, things were watered down.

read more

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/sean-davis-admits-defense-must-do-better-job-creating-confusion/

tube517
06-04-2019, 03:14 PM
They do a great job of confusing themselves.

(Sean, please see the Charger game when you knock Joe Haden for an example.)

polamalubeast
06-04-2019, 03:20 PM

Like the so many blown coverage that the Steelers had in 2017.

Six Rings
06-04-2019, 07:21 PM
Like the so many blown coverage that the Steelers had in 2017.

Davis lead the team again in miss tackles, and made very few plays on the ball. I think he's more of a 3rd safety. As a starter he's a weak link type.

AtlantaDan
06-04-2019, 07:30 PM
Davis has not shown enough to justify what presumably will be a demand for a big contract by his new agent going in to the last year of his rookie deal

Super agent Drew Rosenhaus lured Steelers safety Sean Davis away from MBK sports management in late March, a few weeks after safeties around the league cashed in big-time during unrestricted free agency. Earl Thomas and Landon Collins each earned contracts with more than $30 million in guaranteed money. Lesser-known players hit the jackpot, too.
It’s a good time to be a safety in the NFL, and it’s an even better time to hit free agency for the first time.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2019/06/04/Steelers-safety-Sean-Davis-Drew-Rosenhaus-Terrell-Edmunds-Landon-Collins-Earl-Thomas-free-agency/stories/201906040132

But if Davis has a good year this season, AB’s “super agent” will shop Davis to the highest bidder, which I doubt will be the Steelers.

So probably his last season in Pittsburgh

Six Rings
06-04-2019, 07:34 PM
Davis has not shown enough to justify what presumably will be a demand for a big contract by his new agent going in to the last year of his rookie deal

Super agent Drew Rosenhaus lured Steelers safety Sean Davis away from MBK sports management in late March, a few weeks after safeties around the league cashed in big-time during unrestricted free agency. Earl Thomas and Landon Collins each earned contracts with more than $30 million in guaranteed money. Lesser-known players hit the jackpot, too.
It’s a good time to be a safety in the NFL, and it’s an even better time to hit free agency for the first time.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2019/06/04/Steelers-safety-Sean-Davis-Drew-Rosenhaus-Terrell-Edmunds-Landon-Collins-Earl-Thomas-free-agency/stories/201906040132

But if Davis has a good year this season, AB’s agent will shop Davis to the highest bidder, which I doubt will be the Steelers

So probably his last season in Pittsburgh

I hope so. I wish we would have taken an upside safety late in this draft.

polamalubeast
06-04-2019, 07:42 PM
I have no problem with Drew Rosenhaus...He is an easy target because of the situation with AB (I do not think it was Drew Rosenhaus's fault) or Terrell Owens, 14 years ago but the job of an agent is to do what the player wants, Drew Rosenhaus is no different from the other agents ... And he is not Scott Boras.

Maybe Davis will stay, maybe not, I do not know but Rosenhaus will not be the biggest reason.

- - - Updated - - -

In fact Drew Rosenhaus has signed several bad contracts in his career for the players....

BlackAndGold
06-04-2019, 09:43 PM
The Steelers and Drew Rosenhaus have worked together for a long time. What happen with AB is AB's doing. Rosenhaus was just doing his job as agent.

There is no problem between those two.

AtlantaDan
06-05-2019, 06:09 AM
The Steelers and Drew Rosenhaus have worked together for a long time. What happen with AB is AB's doing. Rosenhaus was just doing his job as agent.

There is no problem between those two.

Agreed the job of any agent is doing what the client wants to achieve

Looks like Davis was not happy with his previous agent making progress to getting a deal done and switched to Rosenhaus - IMO Davis switching to Rosenhaus after Davis saw how he helped AB get a new deal with the Raiders was not a coincidence

The problem is not Rosenhaus - the problem is Davis has not done enough yet to earn the top rate for a safety by getting a new contract this summer and if he does enough to earn it by his performance this season he will be too expensive to retain when he hits free agency next March.

polamalubeast
07-28-2019, 02:21 PM

Six Rings
07-29-2019, 06:09 AM

Davis lead the team in misses tackles and had but one interception. He needs to play better.

Mojouw
07-29-2019, 02:11 PM
I think the desire to shoot the messenger is obscuring a very valid point. The Steelers defense is not very confusing. I can look at how they are lined up and guess fairly accurately what they are going to do. The Chargers got Allen isolated on a LBer because the Steelers are incredibly predictable on how the handle multiple WR sets. If I can tell when Mike Hilton is coming off the edge, I bet NFL QBs can as well. The only game where they went against their tendencies and mixed it up was against the Pats and look how that turned out.

Davis is right, regardless of his level of play.

86WARD
07-29-2019, 02:58 PM
They need to create confusion in the minds of the opponent. The problem has been they have created confusion on their own side of the ball and that not only falls on the players but Butler as well.

polamalubeast
08-01-2019, 04:38 PM

hawaiiansteeler
08-01-2019, 04:40 PM
the headline of this article should have been:

Sean Davis Admits He Must Do Better Job