PDA

View Full Version : Film Room: Diontae Johnson Vs. Press Coverage

polamalubeast
06-03-2019, 10:53 AM

Six Rings
06-03-2019, 07:07 PM
It looks like he needs play action or a New England Patriots like pick play to get open vs press coverage on some of those clips.

Beating press in the MAC is one thing, doing in the NFL is another.

I think he's too small and too slow to be anything but a #3 or sub package WR in the NFL.

HollywoodSteel
06-03-2019, 07:16 PM
I can see why Ben is excited this year. He may not have AB, but he has a young, and very talented, group of pass catchers who ALL want to please him, and who view him as their unquestioned leader.

I think this is the kind of situation that best suits Ben’s personality and I think he is motivated to prove to the world that he DESERVES to be respected as a leader. I look it at it as the perfect storm for success.

hawaiiansteeler
06-03-2019, 07:30 PM
I think he's too small and too slow to be anything but a #3 or sub package WR in the NFL.

Steelers reportedly had a first round grade on him, I'm looking forward to watching him in pre-season.

Six Rings
06-03-2019, 07:56 PM
Steelers reportedly had a first round grade on him, I'm looking forward to watching him in pre-season.

A 1st round grade on a smaller and slower than average MAC receiver? Wow. We'll see what he has in camp and the pre-season games. Not a fan of this pick but with the draft over I'll cheer him on like the rest

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/diontae-johnson?id=32194a4f-4800-0017-a19a-a554dee114ed

teegre
06-04-2019, 06:35 AM
If there’s one thing that the Steelers do well, it’s evaluate WRs.

An interesting tidbit. Before the 2016 draft, they met with only one WR: Sterling Shepard. Instead of drafting him in R1 (a loaded position), they opted to fill a need at CB. My point: had we drafted Shepard in R1, people would have screamed “REACH!!!”... but, it would have been a good option.

I think that the same applies here. Maaaybe there was a player at a position if more need, but the Steelers opted to get the guy who they had a higher grade on (at a position where their track record is very good).

RunNGun
06-04-2019, 04:01 PM
If there’s one thing that the Steelers do well, it’s evaluate WRs.

An interesting tidbit. Before the 2016 draft, they met with only one WR: Sterling Shepard. Instead of drafting him in R1 (a loaded position), they opted to fill a need at CB. My point: had we drafted Shepard in R1, people would have screamed “REACH!!!”... but, it would have been a good option.

I think that the same applies here. Maaaybe there was a player at a position if more need, but the Steelers opted to get the guy who they had a higher grade on (at a position where their track record is very good).

I believe Colbert does a great job of drafting WRs, but I think more credit should go to Ben. He's had more than a few WRs get major pay days. To name some...Randle El, Santonio, E.Sanders, Mike Wallace, Plaxico, AB.

None of those guys I mentioned produced for their new teams like they did for the black and gold besides Sanders. Just goes to show you how great Ben really is. I'll go out on a limb and say AB will never top any of his 3 best seasons for Pittsburgh as a Raider.

polamalubeast
06-04-2019, 04:10 PM
I believe Colbert does a great job of drafting WRs, but I think more credit should go to Ben. He's had more than a few WRs get major pay days. To name some...Randle El, Santonio, E.Sanders, Mike Wallace, Plaxico, AB.

None of those guys I mentioned produced for their new teams like they did for the black and gold besides Sanders. Just goes to show you how great Ben really is. I'll go out on a limb and say AB will never top any of his 3 best seasons for Pittsburgh as a Raider.

That's what Colbert already said about that.

Fire Goodell
06-04-2019, 04:41 PM
wasn't AB too small and slow to play outside? wasn't steve smith too short?

if you can play you can play.

Six Rings
06-04-2019, 07:18 PM

Agree 100%. Colbert picks decent ones, Ben makes them great.

Coates was a poor 3rd round pick. Wheaton, just so so. Sometimes the Steelers miss in round three. Other times we get a Wallace, Bryant or Sanders. I don't see what the Steelers see in Johnson.

BlackAndGold
06-04-2019, 09:45 PM
DJ has incredible quickness and route running abilty.

Long speed is flat out overrated when you have those two things above.

hawaiiansteeler
06-04-2019, 10:13 PM
DJ has incredible quickness and route running abilty.

Long speed is flat out overrated when you have those two things above.

you can see Jerry Rice's 4.71 to prove that point...

teegre
06-05-2019, 06:42 AM

True. Ben elevates their game from good to great... but, they have to be good to begin with. Not even Ben can take subpar players and make them good (let alone great) for very long.