PDA

View Full Version : Season Openers set the tone.

Edman
05-31-2019, 11:05 PM
We all like to say "Don't panic" and "it's only one game", but Going back for a while, I notice that the more impressive the Steelers look on Opening Day, the better their season becomes.

2008: 38-17 Blowout win over Texans. Win Super Bowl XLIII.
2009: Meh 13-10 Win over the Titans. Troy Polamalu gets injured. Sleepwalk to a 9-7 Campaign.
2010: Gutsy Overtime Win over Falcons minus Ben. Finish 12-4 and end up In Super Bowl XLV.
2011: Horrendous 35-7 Loss in Baltimore. Trot to an unimpressive 12-4 and lose to Tim Tebow.
2012: 31-19 loss in Denver. Finish 8-8.
2013: Miserable 16-9 Loss at home to the Titans. Start out 0-4. Finish 8-8 again.
2014: Steelers blow a 27-3 Lead and hold on against the Browns on a field goal in Pittsburgh. Finish 11-5, one and done.
2015: Steelers lose to the Pats in Foxboro. Sneak into the Postseason and lose in Denver.
2016: 38-16 Blowout Win in Washington. Steelers win Nine straight games and advance to AFC Championship game.
2017: Meh 21-18 Win in Cleveland. Steelers win a lot of close calls through the season but runs out of gas and loses to Jacksonville in the playoffs.
2018: Steelers Tie the Winless Browns in Cleveland. Steelers stumble through the season and collapse down the stretch to miss the playoffs.

So you're probably asking. What are you going with this? Are you bitching about Tomlin again? No, Not really, just pointing something out I noticed.

We all like to be optimistic and say it's "only one game" and "we'll right the ship", and maybe this is all one big coincidence, but it seems the Season Opener tells a lot about a Steeler team more than we realize.

Hawkman
06-01-2019, 07:46 AM
REALLY?

polamalubeast
06-01-2019, 08:36 AM
It's important to start well, but it's more important to finish the season well .... The first game of the season will have no impact how will be the month of December or the playoffs, whether positive or negative. In 2016, the steelers were 4-5 at one point, so I do not think they were in the AFC title game because of a 22-point win against the redskins in September

The only thing that is important in the month of September is not to be 0-4 or 1-3 ... and of course Ben must play in pre-season this year to avoid that since the first 3 games are a challenge .

86WARD
06-01-2019, 08:40 AM
So the drubbing they’ll get in New England in September pretty much ends the 2019 season. Great...

teegre
06-01-2019, 03:10 PM
I actually hope that we lose the opener. That way, all of the bandwagoners have a reason to stop watching and stop posting. :nod:

Born2Steel
06-01-2019, 04:10 PM
I actually hope that we lose the opener. That way, all of the bandwagoners have a reason to stop watching and stop posting. :nod:

Although I never HOPE for a loss, I get what you're saying. I think that might have the opposite effect though. A opener loss to the Pats could just as easily put this forum into a negative spiral of doom and gloom only Browns' fans can fathom.

Butch
06-01-2019, 04:15 PM

WHAT!!! Teegre say it aint so!!!

You are my fellow 19-0 compadre. Don't let them talk you into joining them on the ledge come back inside.

It will be more fun to laugh at those average NFL fans from the other thread.

19-0 all the way baby!!! WhoooHooo!!! Let the good times roll.

hawaiiansteeler
06-01-2019, 04:21 PM

how many "Fire Everybody" threads do you think we'll have?

pczach
06-01-2019, 04:59 PM

If only we could be that fortunate, that loss would turn into a huge win for those of us that want to try to enjoy the season in spite of any setbacks.

teegre
06-02-2019, 11:38 AM
WHAT!!! Teegre say it aint so!!!

You are my fellow 19-0 compadre. Don't let them talk you into joining them on the ledge come back inside.

It will be more fun to laugh at those average NFL fans from the other thread.

19-0 all the way baby!!! WhoooHooo!!! Let the good times roll.

Option 1:
19-0
The Steelers win their seventh Lombardi. But, but, but... we have to hear every week (every single week) about how this team got “lucky” or that they are winning “in spite of Ben/Tomlin”. Thread after thread after thread of bitching & moaning about useless formulas and not winning ”by enough”.

Option 2:
Lose the opener, but then go 18-0
The Steelers win their seventh Lombardi. And, because all of the doomsdayers have shot their figurative loads (for some, it may be literal) after that opening loss (“Tomlin cawnt bete Da Cheats!!!”)... the message board is filled with only those who want to discuss the intricacies of the game.

SUMMATION:
pczach is correct. The opening day loss would not create my dream scenario. Alas, it’d be quite the opposite. The doom & gloom would crash the site.

Ergo...

19-0

Butch
06-02-2019, 01:15 PM
Option 1:
19-0
The Steelers win their seventh Lombardi. But, but, but... we have to hear every week (every single week) about how this team got “lucky” or that they are winning “in spite of Ben/Tomlin”. Thread after thread after thread of bitching & moaning about useless formulas and not winning ”by enough”.

Option 2:
Lose the opener, but then go 18-0
The Steelers win their seventh Lombardi. And, because all of the doomsdayers have shot their figurative loads (for some, it may be literal) after that opening loss (“Tomlin cawnt bete Da Cheats!!!”)... the message board is filled with only those who want to discuss the intricacies of the game.

SUMMATION:
pczach is correct. The opening day loss would not create my dream scenario. Alas, it’d be quite the opposite. The doom & gloom would crash the site.

Ergo...

19-0

To quote the Great Lefty Gomez "I would rather be Lucky than good, because if you're lucky you don't have to be good".

Welcome back Teegre - Cheers to the rose covered thorn bushes!!!

teegre
06-03-2019, 06:36 AM
Welcome back Teegre - Cheers to the rose covered thorn bushes!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRTNMkuQzbc&app=desktop

tube517
06-03-2019, 08:04 AM
how many "Fire Everybody" threads do you think we'll have?

The same amount as (Insert draft pick here) is a bust! threads. In fact didn't someone start the Devin Bust thead??? :chuckle:

hawaiiansteeler
06-03-2019, 02:24 PM
The same amount as (Insert draft pick here) is a bust! threads. In fact didn't someone start the Devin Bust thead??? :chuckle:

we need a Bustin Layne thread also...

pczach
06-03-2019, 04:17 PM
we need a Bustin Layne thread also...

When we look back at the 2019 NFL Bust Draft, I'm sure that the Steelers will be well represented.

:pop2:

Six Rings
06-03-2019, 07:08 PM
I know its only one game, but man I hate losing the season opener.

HollywoodSteel
06-04-2019, 01:44 AM
Well, look at the bright side... if we lose the toughest home opener possible: on the road to face the Super Bowl champs, and we lose, no one can say our season is over. It will be the worst team chemistry we’ll have all season and we’ll have faced the toughest opponent. It will be motivation for improvement and revenge.

But if we win... we’ll obviously be the best team in the NFL and Super Bowl favorites.

So it’s low risk/high reward. :)