PDA

View Full Version : Dunlap: Bud Dupree Is Allegedly Good

polamalubeast
05-30-2019, 06:38 AM
Apparently Bud Dupree is good.

That's what I keep hearing. His outside-backer mate T.J. Watt said it on Wednesday. Watt couldn't have heaped more praise at OTAs. He spoke as if it was common knowledge just how good Dupree has been.

Kevin Colbert said it in the offseason. Man, does he always have Bud's back or what? The GM glowed about Alvin.

Mike Tomlin has complimented Dupree multiple times. He does it time and time again.

Keith Butler sings his praises whenever he gets the chance, too.

It seems a common theme; it appears like there is a ton of talk --- but am I missing something on the action? Heck, I can't figure it out.

When I look at the stats, I see 20 sacks in 54 career games for a guy who was taken in the first round in the 2015 Draft out of Kentucky. A guy who we were told could dominate games with his speed; who had a mixture of size and speed where he could quickly get around end or roar powerfully through a potential roadblock and absolutely devastate the quarterback.

We have, to be fair, only seen it a few times.

And as Dupree had his fifth-year option picked up by the franchise, he is truly faced with a make-or-break season.

All this talk --- again the latest by Watt on Wednesday --- forces me to wonder again: Are we missing something about Dupree? Is he actually good and impacting games? What's the truth in all of this?

read more

https://937thefan.radio.com/articles/dunlap-bud-dupree-allegedly-good

teegre
05-30-2019, 06:53 AM
Ramon Foster* was on Twitter saying that Bud is the guy to be on the lookout for on defense this upcoming season. Technically, the questions went like this:

FAN: Hey, Ramon. Which player will surprise us in offense?

RAMON: Me... duh.

FAN: Come on, really.

RAMON: Okay. For reeeally reeeal: ME!!!

RAMON: James Washington. Or, Jaylen.

FAN: Which player will surprise us in defense?

RAMON: Sean Davis and Bud are going to kill it.

FAN: Thoughts on Devin Bush running with the first team.

RAMON: There’s a reason he was a top ten pick... glad he’s on OUR side.

*one of two Steelers players who I follow, because Ramon is hilarious.

polamalubeast
05-30-2019, 05:42 PM

st33lersguy
05-30-2019, 07:04 PM
I keep hearing this is his breakout year but I have yet to see it

Fire Goodell
05-30-2019, 07:28 PM
I do think he's better than most fans are giving him credit for

43Hitman
05-30-2019, 07:34 PM
I do think he's better than most fans are giving him credit for

So do I. He's a solid linebacker, not a HOF'er or All-Pro, but he's solid and plays his position with consistency, which we couldn't say about JJ even once. I honestly think shoring up the middle of the defense(Devin Bush/Mark Barrow) and some consistent play from CB2(Nelson), and this team is right where we would like them. We will need Wizard of Boz to return to form as well. Who know, maybe Artie finds his confidence again and can be a solid contributor.

86WARD
05-30-2019, 08:02 PM
I watched the game from my couch for 16 weeks. If I was younger, signed to a contract and in the game, I would’ve had 16 sacks myself and probably would’ve had a double digit sack game so right there is 17.

Fire Goodell
05-30-2019, 08:12 PM
As much as I hate excuses, I remember one play last year where he was on a straight ahead collision path to the QB and he didn't see him. That would have been easily a sack and turnover, but the tackle who was beat on the play, literally grabbed him and dragged him down.

Easy flag for the ref, but actually a good play by the tackle, the QB would have gotten killed on that play

In any case, I'm not counting those as sacks because it happens to EVERY pass rusher. If those counted as sacks, James Harrison would have had 50 sacks a year. I'm sure top-flight edge rushers draw more holding penalties on average (naturally since blockers generally hold when they get beat).

st33lersguy
05-30-2019, 08:14 PM
Bud Dupree is probably the most overrated player on the team. People keep saying he is worth keeping around as a starter when in reality, 4 years with all that athletic ability and he hasn't made an impact on the team yet. So he's better than Jarvis Jones, that's says nothing about a player. He's a waste of athletic potential, and now is a waste of $9.2 million

Born2Steel
05-30-2019, 09:26 PM
Bud Dupree is probably the most overrated player on the team. People keep saying he is worth keeping around as a starter when in reality, 4 years with all that athletic ability and he hasn't made an impact on the team yet. So he's better than Jarvis Jones, that's says nothing about a player. He's a waste of athletic potential, and now is a waste of $9.2 million

I agree Bud is not a $9M OLB. BUT.......He has not been asked to do what traditional OLBs have been asked to do on this defense. NOT SAYING he would have double digit sacks every year if he were asked, but that his primary job has not been to rush the passer. So technically, judging Dupree by the number of sacks is sort of like judging VW on INTs. Yes it's part of their job but not exactly what they have been asked to do. Bud can set an edge and nearly always turns a RB back inside to help. Since this is his most basic duty the part that is so frustrating to me is how many LTs/RTs beat him and push him upfield so the edge is not set. It happens too much and I truly believe this will be Bud's last season in black and gold. Especially if Ola proves he CAN get to the QB consistently.

hawaiiansteeler
05-30-2019, 09:30 PM
how many sacks would James Harrison have had if he counted holding calls?

Born2Steel
05-30-2019, 09:39 PM
how many sacks would James Harrison have had if he counted holding calls?

Ummmm.....ALL OF THEM.

Mojouw
05-30-2019, 11:19 PM
Ummmm.....ALL OF THEM.

https://images.app.goo.gl/CvJL5szBHUk2o9Lh9

BlackAndGold
05-30-2019, 11:59 PM
Sure wish he would finish the plays. Tuitt is the same in that regard.

But soon enough it'll be 'Ola SZN'.