PDA

View Full Version : Versatile Jaylen Samuels to be used in increasingly varied ways in Steelers offense

polamalubeast
05-29-2019, 03:25 PM
When he was a rookie last season, the Pittsburgh Steelers tried to keep Jaylen Samuels as entrenched as a traditional, fulltime running back as possible.

Now that he’s been a pro and as part of the offense for a full year, Samuels is ready to spread his wings as the proverbial Swiss Army knife he was projected to be.

Samuels said Wednesday that he’s been used in more varied ways over the first week and a half of organized team activities.

“I feel like there is more they are putting on my plate this year,” the former N.C. State tight end/fullback/receiver/running back said. “Now that they saw I could do last year, I am getting more routes split out, and more routes overall as a receiver.

read more

https://triblive.com/sports/versatile-jaylen-samuels-to-be-used-in-increasingly-varied-ways-in-steelers-offense/

ALLD
05-30-2019, 03:29 PM
Slash 2.0?

86WARD
05-30-2019, 03:31 PM
Wasn’t the same said about Dri Archer?

Fire Goodell
05-30-2019, 03:34 PM

Yes but you have to be more optimistic about Samuels, the guy actually produced during the regular season and isn't a midget

polamalubeast
05-30-2019, 03:34 PM

Archer was always garbage on the field, which was not the case for Samuels.

86WARD
05-30-2019, 03:41 PM
Archer was always garbage on the field, which was not the case for Samuels.

That’s not the point. Samuels and Archer aren’t a comparison. Point is, seems like every year they say this wrinkle will be in and that wrinkle will be in and then we never see anything come out of it. Whatever happened to the Mendenhall/Parker backfield? Nothing...not even an attempt.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-30-2019, 10:54 PM
That’s not the point. Samuels and Archer aren’t a comparison. Point is, seems like every year they say this wrinkle will be in and that wrinkle will be in and then we never see anything come out of it. Whatever happened to the Mendenhall/Parker backfield? Nothing...not even an attempt.

Didn't that happen right after the "dollar" defensive package of a season ago?

EzraTank
05-31-2019, 10:51 AM
I've been saying this for a while, especially in our "We're DOOMED WR threads".

Watch tape of Samuels in college. The dude has great hands, was used as a WR at NC State and can do so much after the catch with his running skills. He is an asset and comparing him to Archer is insulting. When Conner went down last year I picked up Samuels in my fantasy league and he got me to the finals. The guy is going to be good if used the correct way.

Fire Goodell
05-31-2019, 12:19 PM
I've been saying this for a while, especially in our "We're DOOMED WR threads".

Watch tape of Samuels in college. The dude has great hands, was used as a WR at NC State and can do so much after the catch with his running skills. He is an asset and comparing him to Archer is insulting. When Conner went down last year I picked up Samuels in my fantasy league and he got me to the finals. The guy is going to be good if used the correct way.

He did more damage split out wide than Bell ever did. Honestly Bell is way overrated for his ability to line up as a WR, what did he have, like 9 receptions for 45 yards for an entire season?

Samuels seems to be way more natural than Bell was and will IMO be one of those kevin faulk type of players. Won't be the centerpiece of the running game but will be put all over the field and you have to account for him. Not necessarily a home run threat but will move the chains when you need him to, and is a mismatch when you put a linebacker on him.

munchy
05-31-2019, 12:36 PM
i wont hold my breath

hawaiiansteeler
05-31-2019, 02:55 PM
i wont hold my breath

you would say a lot less stupid things if you did...

munchy
05-31-2019, 03:05 PM
you would say a lot less stupid things if you did...

lol.......you should charge me rent for constantly being in your head
did i turn down your advances or something?
if it helps, i dont go that way............better?

hawaiiansteeler
05-31-2019, 04:09 PM
did i turn down your advances or something?
if it helps, i dont go that way............better?

199 negative posts in a row, I'm still waiting for a positive one.

but I won't hold my breath...

polamalubeast
06-01-2019, 07:04 PM

teegre
06-02-2019, 11:29 AM

Would that be more or less than your grandma charges you to rent out her basement?

Hawkman
06-02-2019, 11:32 AM
Would that be more or less than your grandma charges you to rent out her basement?

Is this clown kept around just for the entertainment factor?

munchy
06-02-2019, 11:45 AM

yup, i love the way you guys get your panties in a bunch when i say anything that goes against your pom pom mentality
you entertain me..........

- - - Updated - - -

wow, that was a burn on the 5th grade level.
is that your grade or mental makeup?

teegre
06-02-2019, 11:57 AM

Probably the latter. :huh: More importantly, is that your way of asking me to explain it to you?

Hawkman
06-02-2019, 12:08 PM
yup, i love the way you guys get your panties in a bunch when i say anything that goes against your pom pom mentality
you entertain me..........

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah boy, “I won’t hold my breath” is incredibly insightful......and that’s about as insightful as you get.

43Hitman
06-02-2019, 12:34 PM
200 posts and counting and has yet to contribute one damn thing to this board.

hawaiiansteeler
06-02-2019, 02:06 PM

that was actually very thoughtful of teegre, you should thank him.

he's just trying to keep things on your level so you can understand...

Butch
06-02-2019, 02:20 PM

obviously someone who did not get much love growing up so now he comes here and says stupid things so that he can feel at home.

polamalubeast
06-04-2019, 09:22 AM
To return to the topic, I think that Samuels will be our 3rd down back in 2019.

Fire Goodell
06-04-2019, 12:15 PM

Actually, that was a burn on maybe the post-college level. Living in your grandma's basement if you're in the 5th grade isn't something embarrassing, and maybe if you're just out of high school, it still isn't. If you're a college grad or past 20 though, it might be. :chuckle:

polamalubeast
06-04-2019, 07:45 PM
Kovacevic: Remarkably, Samuels might be the new Le’Veon

One snap, Jaylen Samuels was at wideout.

Another, he was in the backfield.

Another, he was aligned to Ben Roethlisberger's left as de facto bodyguard.

"Everywhere, right?" the kid would tell me in confirming all of the above following the Steelers' OTA session Tuesday morning at the Rooney Complex. "But that's OK. I like it like that. Get me on the field. Challenge me to do something. I'll get the job done."

Everyone remembers Samuels, right?

If not, then maybe a reminder is merited of his 172 total yards against the Patriots this past season:

Catch the pattern in play?

Yep. Wideout. Backfield. Bodyguard. Did it all. Just like the New England victory. Just like his time at N.C. State, where he played just about every position except running back.

James Conner's fresh off a bone-crushing breakout. Benny Snell's the fresh-faced rookie in the fold. But Samuels might be in the best position -- literally -- to fill Le'Veon Bell's void. And if you ask me, that has him poised to make as much of a positive difference as anyone on the offense.

Never mind that he reported for OTAs 15 pounds lighter than last season -- pushed hard by Randy Fichtner to do precisely that -- with an primary aim of finding sharper acceleration on passing routes and hitting holes faster out of the backfield to better capitalize on his DeAngelo Williams slashing style.

On top of that, if Conner can carry the load again, and if Snell winds up even half as dynamic as most everyone here seems to be expecting, Samuels can pretty much entrench himself as the third down back ... if not more.

read more

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2019/06/04/jaylen-samuels-steelers-running-backs-leveon-bell-dk/

tube517
06-05-2019, 05:10 AM
I'll take him being the next Ronnie Harmon