PDA

View Full Version : Watt ready for leadership role

polamalubeast
05-29-2019, 03:23 PM
After OTAs on Wednesday T.J. Watt talked about the role he wants to embrace this year, a role of a leader. In his third season he has been in the system long enough to understand what it takes and be someone younger players can go to for advice, while veterans respect him enough to listen and follow his lead.

But before he ever talked about it, he showed he already is a leader.

Despite the blazing heat and bright sunshine that gave no mercy, Watt gathered his fellow outside linebackers and stayed out on the field working together for a few more minutes after the OTA session ended. Not with the coaches, just the linebackers working to get better.

It was the perfect example of while Watt is hoping to develop into a leader, he actually is already there.

“Just trying to build that leadership role and be a guy the younger guys can look up to,” said Watt. “Be a tone setter for the defense and the whole team. This time of year is really big. My rookie year I was really big on staying quiet and just working. My second year trying to prove myself, and I feel like I still haven’t fully proven myself. I feel like through what I have done around here, everyone sees the work I do and I can get in a leadership role and have a voice on this defense.”

read more

https://www.steelers.com/news/watt-ready-for-leadership-role

DesertSteel
05-29-2019, 04:20 PM
I think this is the year that TJ breaks out as a mega star - top 5 defensive player.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-29-2019, 04:53 PM
I think this is the year that TJ breaks out as a mega star - top 5 defensive player.

Id be happy with pro bowl alternate. I personally don't think he is physically dominant enough to be a top 5 guy. Sure, he is athletic, uses his hands well in pass rush and is relentless, but he isn't going to beat anybody with a bull rush, or stuff a pulling OT on a stretch play.

FrancoLambert
05-29-2019, 07:15 PM
This kid is hungry to be great. He’ll improve every year. Need a few more like him.

DesertSteel
05-29-2019, 09:53 PM
Id be happy with pro bowl alternate. I personally don't think he is physically dominant enough to be a top 5 guy. Sure, he is athletic, uses his hands well in pass rush and is relentless, but he isn't going to beat anybody with a bull rush, or stuff a pulling OT on a stretch play.
Don't underestimate the value of the Watt work ethic. He had 12 sacks last year and I can see him taking it to 15-17.

Fire Goodell
05-31-2019, 01:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfPw6ywgYPw

munchy
05-31-2019, 03:17 PM
This kid is hungry to be great. He’ll improve every year. Need a few more like him.

i think it helps with having a stud brother playing in the nfl too