PDA

View Full Version : It’s time we all stop reading negative things into positive Steelers quotes

polamalubeast
05-28-2019, 12:22 PM
Steelers players—including quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster—have been saying all the right things regarding the team, Antonio Brown, and the upcoming 2019 regular season. It’s probably best if we all stopped trying to spin these positive quotes into negative stories.

“Bullspit!” That’s what many people have been saying all week regarding Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger’s interview with KDKA’s Bob Pompeani last Monday.

You know the interview I’m talking about, right? The one where he said he was deeply sorry for his actions that caused the rift with Antonio Brown, the guy who, to quote Roethlisberger: ‘made me who I am.’

Roethlisberger said he and Brown were great friends, and that he’s so sorry things between them have gotten to the point where the receiver now has so much contempt for the quarterback, his former buddy, friend, pal.

Roethlisberger wasn’t sincere, was he? I sure didn’t think so when I discussed the interview with my really good friend, Bryan Anthony Davis, on our weekly podcast, The Steelers Hangover.

Obviously, unlike Roethlisberger, I’m genuine, so when I say Bryan is my really good friend, I mean it. But Big Ben and AB really good friends? Big Ben was being his usual disingenuous self. The whole part about Brown making Roethlisberger who he is today. Yeah, right, Roethlisberger, the man who earned his second Super Bowl ring while Brown was still at Central Michigan.

Give me a break.

Don’t get me wrong, as I told Bryan last Monday evening, I was really glad Roethlisberger took the high road and didn’t add any more negative fuel to the on-going fire that has been No. 84 since 2018 turned into 2019, but there was no way I thought the soon to be 16-year veteran quarterback was being honest with Pompeani.

What about the part where Roethlisberger said he reached out to Brown (“Tone”) several times since their rift began and was saddened by a lack of a response? Total bull, right? At least that’s what a really awesome new caller to our show said about that when he talked to Bryan and me last Monday night around 10:30 p.m.

Another person who, like the caller to the Hangover on Monday, didn’t buy Roethlisberger’s story, was ESPN’s Marcus Spears, a former NFL player who out and out called the Steelers quarterback a ‘liar’ regarding the health of his relationship with Brown toward the end of the 2018 season.

Moving on to receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster and some of the things he said on Wednesday during OTAs. In a rather mature interview session with reporters (at least on the surface, hint, hint), Smith-Schuster said, among other things, that he’d sacrifice individual success for team goals. He also said he’d be available to reporters without restrictions in 2019.

Again, very mature. Or maybe it was all a dig at Brown, especially the quote, courtesy of the Trib’s Joe Rutter, where Smith-Schuster said, “I’m not going to be an a**hole.”

At least that’s what Steelers beat reporter Mark Kaboly from The Athletic inferred when he Tweeted another quote: “JuJu Smith-Schuster took the high road with most of his comments today but toss, IMO, a little dart at Antonio Brown: “'I will take 5 catches for 30 yards and win the game than have 10 catches, two touchdowns.'"

Kaboly quickly drew the ire of Steelers linebacker Bud Dupree who Tweeted:”Here u go tryna start beef fat boy leave the past alone.”

read more

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/5/28/18639201/its-time-we-all-stop-reading-negative-things-into-positive-steelers-quotes-ben-roethlisberger-nfl

tube517
05-28-2019, 12:24 PM
I thought "Tone" was Santonio Holmes?? :noidea: :chuckle:

Edman
05-28-2019, 12:46 PM
Anyone can say the "right" thing and not mean it.

Ben has been saying the "right things" for years, and yet his overall reputation is still in the pits. Could it just be...nah people are just picking on him.

Ben's feel good words mean absolutely nothing at this point. The most he can now do is just play.

polamalubeast
05-28-2019, 12:48 PM
Anyone can say the "right" thing and not mean it.

Ben has been saying the "right things" for years, and yet his overall reputation is still in the pits, and has burned a lot of bridges.

Ben's feel good words mean absolutely nothing at this point, when years of evidence points to the contrary. The most he can now do is just play.

Ben has not always said the right thing in his career, especially in his radio show ....

Fire Goodell
05-28-2019, 12:54 PM
Who's this 'we' they're talking about? It's these jackass reporters and 'experts' that will spin anything to get more clicks on their articles

stillers4me
05-28-2019, 02:52 PM
Some of you are incapable of being anything but negative about this team. I can't even figure out why certain posters even bother. Life must really suck when your constantly bringing every single thing about this team, it's players, and coaches down.

You've taken another post meant to be positive and puked on it again.

Go do something else for a while. Something that actually brings you joy and gives you hope because you aren't finding it here.

fansince'76
05-28-2019, 02:57 PM
Some of you are incapable of being anything but negative about this team. I can't even figure out why certain posters even bother. Life must really suck when your constantly bringing every single thing about this team, it's players, and coaches down.

You've taken a post meant to be positive and puked on it again.

Go do something else for a while. Something that actually brings you joy and gives you hope because you aren't finding it here.

That's just it - some people are miserable unless they have something to bitch about.

polamalubeast
05-28-2019, 03:03 PM
I do not know if the message was to me or another, but yes I was a little too negative about Tomlin or Butler lately (it'll be a good idea that I stop) but for the rest of the team, I think the steelers could surprise in 2019.

hawaiiansteeler
05-28-2019, 03:04 PM
That's just it - some people are miserable unless they have something to bitch about.

every message board I have ever been on has them, tbh it's just part of being on a message board.

86WARD
05-28-2019, 03:38 PM
So all the training camp banter, all the joking, hugging, previous quotes, silly nicknames, hanging off field...all fake??? Lol.

smokin3000gt
05-28-2019, 03:58 PM

You've taken another post meant to be positive and puked on it again.

Thank you for saying this and I share your sentiments. Some here can not have a discussion without turning every thread into a bitch fest. We get it, you don't like Tomlin, this team under achieves with all the talent they had/have, Ben sucks, terrible leader, Tomlin is a cheer leader and his players have character issues, can't win without Cowher's players, blah blah blah. Same old talking points in every thread. We've heard you, now let the poor horse die in peace ffs.

GoSlash27
05-28-2019, 04:00 PM
Some people thrive on drama and controversy. Especially the media.

hawaiiansteeler
05-28-2019, 04:45 PM
Some here can not have a discussion without turning every thread into a bitch fest. We get it, you don't like Tomlin, this team under achieves with all the talent they had/have, Ben sucks, terrible leader, Tomlin is a cheer leader and his players have character issues, can't win without Cowher's players, blah blah blah. Same old talking points in every thread. We've heard you, now let the poor horse die in peace ffs.

I hear what you're saying and agree with you, the constant never-ending negativity of some posters is definitely annoying.

but unfortunately it's not gonna happen, they will never stop. you might as well pray for world peace...

Fire Goodell
05-28-2019, 04:50 PM
Some people thrive on drama and controversy. Especially the media.

I think it's human nature to be interested in controversy. There's reasons why a Care Bears the Movie won't ever make as much money as Terminator. Or why we watch Game of Thrones and not Game of Cooperation and Rainbows Where the Good Guys Always Win and No One Good Dies :chuckle:

Of course we won't be fans of any controversy or drama surrounding the Steelers since it hurts our team and ultimately our interests. However, if there's controversy surrounding say, the Ravens or Patriots we're all over that shit

Edman
05-28-2019, 05:18 PM
Thank you for saying this and I share your sentiments. Some here can not have a discussion without turning every thread into a bitch fest. We get it, you don't like Tomlin, this team under achieves with all the talent they had/have, Ben sucks, terrible leader, Tomlin is a cheer leader and his players have character issues, can't win without Cowher's players, blah blah blah. Same old talking points in every thread. We've heard you, now let the poor horse die in peace ffs.

You got it.

Ben is the best player ever. The best Steelers quarterback to ever play the game and a great leader.

Steelers are going to win the Super Bowl not only in 2019 and 2020. Randy Fichtner has a year under his belt and will get better. I have faith in him that the Offense will go to new heights in 2019. Mike Tomlin is a flawed but excellent head coach and among the best in the league. We're blessed to have such a great coach like him. Steelers fans really take him for granted sometimes. Keith Butler is a great Defensive Coordinator he'll improve massively in 2019. Danny Smith is a top-tier Special Teams Coach. Benny Snell is going to reinvigorate the Steelers running game. Nice back to spell Conner and Samuels. Devin Bush will be a future Hall Of Famer under Butler.

The Steelers are in good hands with Art II. I have faith in the Rooneys.

The Steelers will finish 2019 with 10 wins or better. They will score 20-30 points a game on Offense every game, and if they don't, they'll still find a way to win. This will be a fun and exciting season.

They will not only beat Tom Brady, they will kill the Patriots in Week 1. They will crush them, they suck!

Stairway to #7 in 2019! and #8 in 2020!

Fire Goodell
05-28-2019, 05:20 PM
You got it.

Ben is the best player ever. The best quarterback to ever play the game and a great leader. Steelers are going to win the Super Bowl not only in 2019 and 2020. There is nothing wrong with this team. Randy Fichtner is an offensive genius. I have faith in him that the Offense will go to new heights in 2019. Mike Tomlin is an excellent head coach and among the best in the league. We're blessed to have such a great coach like him. Steelers fans really take him for granted. Keith Butler is a great Defensive Coordinator. Danny Smith is a top-tier Special Teams Coach. Benny Snell is going to reinvigorate the Steelers running game. Nice back to spell Conner and Samuels. Devin Bush will be a future Hall Of Famer under Butler.

The Steelers will finish 2019 with 10 wins or better. They will score 20-30 points a game on Offense.

They will not only beat Tom Brady, they will kill the Patriots in Week 1. They will crush them, they suck.

Here we go Steelers! Here we go! Stairway to #7 in 2019.

#HereWeGo

Not only that, when we smack down the patriots 77-0 in their own house, their fans will start cheering for us! robert kraft will then rename the organization to the New England Steeler Worshippers, in homage of our greatness

smokin3000gt
05-28-2019, 05:25 PM
You got it.

Ben is the best player ever. The best Steelers quarterback to ever play the game and a great leader.

Steelers are going to win the Super Bowl not only in 2019 and 2020. Randy Fichtner has a year under his belt and will get better. I have faith in him that the Offense will go to new heights in 2019. Mike Tomlin is a flawed but excellent head coach and among the best in the league. We're blessed to have such a great coach like him. Steelers fans really take him for granted sometimes. Keith Butler is a great Defensive Coordinator he'll improve massively in 2019. Danny Smith is a top-tier Special Teams Coach. Benny Snell is going to reinvigorate the Steelers running game. Nice back to spell Conner and Samuels. Devin Bush will be a future Hall Of Famer under Butler.

The Steelers will finish 2019 with 10 wins or better. They will score 20-30 points a game on Offense every game, and if they don't, they'll still find a way to win. This will be a fun and exciting season.

They will not only beat Tom Brady, they will kill the Patriots in Week 1. They will crush them, they suck!

not really what I was saying or looking for but I do appreciate the effort

polamalubeast
05-28-2019, 05:45 PM
You got it.

The problem is that you've never been positive on Ben

Yes, I've been hard on Tomlin lately, but I've already been very positive about Tomlin and if he has a good season in 2019, I'll give him the credit ... Have you ever given the credit on Ben? ... Maybe, but only when he was perfect like in his game against the colts in 2014!

Craic
05-28-2019, 06:42 PM
Perhaps the word we're looking for here is . . . balance.

Honestly, if a person can't see the things Ben does that are good, there's something wrong. And, that's both on and off the field. In the same way, if a person can't see problems in his game and how his personality may affect him on and off the field, there's something just as wrong. The same is true for Tomlin and anyone else, regardless of whether they play football or not except for teegre, he's damn near perfect except for forgetting to capitalize his name.

What gets tiring is the constant harping on one side and absolutely ignoring the other. Not only is it repetitive, but it's intellectually dishonest as well (provided the thread isn't focus on one element of a person's game that happens to be his worst or some such thing).

cold-hard-steel
05-28-2019, 07:05 PM
That was them damn kids down the street, i'll lay ya any money. Them sons a bitches.

hawaiiansteeler
05-28-2019, 07:15 PM
That was them damn kids down the street, i'll lay ya any money. Them sons a bitches.

most likely they were Ben's kids...

teegre
05-28-2019, 10:47 PM

Some people complain that rose bushes have thorns, while others rejoice that thorn bushes have roses.

hawaiiansteeler
05-28-2019, 10:59 PM
https://meme.xyz/uploads/posts/t/l-44773-staying-positive-doesnt-mean-you-have-to-be-happy-all-the-time-it-means-that-even-on-hard-days-you-know-that-there-are-better-ones-coming.jpg

Butch
05-28-2019, 11:26 PM

This even if the thread has nothing what-so-ever to do with what the person is bitching about.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-29-2019, 12:20 AM
This thread has turned into one of people bitching about posters bitching too much. :rofl: Cant make this kind of stuff up.:toofunny:

Butch
05-29-2019, 12:42 AM
This thread has turned into one of people bitching about posters bitching too much. :rofl: Cant make this kind of stuff up.:toofunny:

Yes but it's stayed on topic

Craic
05-29-2019, 02:26 AM
Yeah, well, it's the bees around the roses that really torque me off :chuckle:

hawaiiansteeler
05-29-2019, 02:36 AM

no kidding, posters being negative to criticize others being negative. makes total sense :rolleyes:

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-29-2019, 08:26 AM
Yes but it's stayed on topic

right you are. No pictures of beavers and such have derailed this yet.

tube517
05-29-2019, 11:10 AM
Some people complain that rose bushes have thorns, while others rejoice that thorn bushes have roses.

Bret Michaels, is that you?

- - - Updated - - -

I can't resist. :chuckle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvWfbIe4X_4

teegre
05-29-2019, 09:07 PM

The ghosts of Jon229 and Buddha Bus have just entered the room...

hawaiiansteeler
05-29-2019, 09:17 PM

http://i.imgur.com/EBQ5lHs.jpg