PDA

View Full Version : Jaylen Samuels: Steelers RB duo 'could be really scary'

polamalubeast
05-24-2019, 09:02 AM
Much of the offseason focus on the Pittsburgh Steelers thus far centers around the players no longer with the team. As we inch closer to the start of the 2019 campaign, attention can turn to the athletes still on the Steelers' squad.

During OTAs, Pittsburgh practiced a two-RB formation, with James Conner and Jaylen Samuels lined up together in the backfield. It's a tandem the Steelers could employ more in 2019.

"We did a little bit of it [last season], but we didn't really run it in a game, so I guess this year we're going to try and put that a little more in the offense," Samuels said Thursday, via the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "I think that could be kind of special with me and [Conner] in the backfield. Me and him in the game, period. We're just building on from that right now... He's more of a runner and a catcher, as well, but I can get outside and run routes, as well. To have that dual threat with me and him in the game, it could be really scary for defenses."

Most scoffed when management suggested earlier this offseason that the Steelers could run an RB committee. It's something Pittsburgh has never done under Tomlin's watch. Utilizing multiple backs, however, makes perfect sense.

With question marks in the receiver corps behind JuJu Smith-Schuster and Vance McDonald the only proven, consistent receiving threat from the tight end position, the Steelers could use Samuels' receiving acumen in the passing game.

Samuels enters his second season after displaying flashes of his dual-threat ability taking over for an injured Conner down the stretch. In three starts, the 22-year-old compiled 223 yards rushing on 42 carries, a 5.3 yards per tote average (including 142 yards on 19 carries against the New England Patriots). He also generated two seven-catch games last season.

read more

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001031860/article/jaylen-samuels-steelers-rb-duo-could-be-really-scary

tube517
05-24-2019, 09:37 AM
Benny Snell said Benny Snell can do the "Duo" thing as well.

Six Rings
05-24-2019, 04:49 PM
Benny Snell said Benny Snell can do the "Duo" thing as well.

I think Snell was a bad pick, he's a distant 3rd behind Conner and Samules, and has old school skills. Big and slow, cloud of dust isn't the modern NFL.

On Samules, boy did he show something starting and ripping up New England. On Conner, a pro bowl back with big play ability, he only needs to stay healthy.

hawaiiansteeler
05-24-2019, 04:52 PM
I think Snell was a bad pick, he's a distant 3rd behind Conner and Samules, and has old school skills. Big and slow, cloud of dust isn't the modern NFL.

you obviously have never seen Benny Snell actually play...

BlackAndGold
05-25-2019, 12:02 AM
*Conner takes all the playing time*

hawaiiansteeler
05-25-2019, 12:12 AM
*Conner takes all the playing time*

that's my prediction also, I'm gonna pick him up for my fantasy team again. he was a stud for me last year...

Six Rings
05-25-2019, 06:51 AM

On the contrary, yes I have. Snell was a big bruising back type, and that worked in college, however, he's too slow, not dynamic or quick enough to shine in the NFL. He doesn't hit the hole quickly, doesn't change directions well, and has limited speed. NFL LB's will be all over him. With him as the feature back, defenses know what's coming and have a good guess as to wear. I'm not sure how he is as a pass blocker.

Snell won't be an outside runner at all in the NFL, he's strictly an in-between the tackle type, best paired with a Fullback, who's just okay as a reciever.

His value will be as a short-yardage runner something Conner already excels at. I doubt he's fast enough to be a factor on kick coverage.

Sorry, I call them as I see them. This pick ticked me off. We could have doubled own at WR, ILB, or CB. Or picked a better TE. What we have is a 3rd string running back who's unity to pass Conner or Samules unless an injury hits, then again you can say that for any NFL position.

pczach
05-25-2019, 07:27 AM
On the contrary, yes I have. Snell was a big bruising back type, and that worked in college, however, he's too slow, not dynamic or quick enough to shine in the NFL. He doesn't hit the hole quickly, doesn't change directions well, and has limited speed. NFL LB's will be all over him. With him as the feature back, defenses know what's coming and have a good guess as to wear. I'm not sure how he is as a pass blocker.

Snell won't be an outside runner at all in the NFL, he's strictly an in-between the tackle type, best paired with a Fullback, who's just okay as a reciever.

His value will be as a short-yardage runner something Conner already excels at. I doubt he's fast enough to be a factor on kick coverage.

Sorry, I call them as I see them. This pick ticked me off. We could have doubled own at WR, ILB, or CB. Or picked a better TE. What we have is a 3rd string running back who's unity to pass Conner or Samules unless an injury hits, then again you can say that for any NFL position.

I know that his measurables and some of what he has put on film doesn't show him to be a dynamic player. I have seen him play a lot and had some of the same doubts early on. However, after seeing him play a lot of football, I have come to like so much of his game that I believe he has a chance to be a good RB at the NFL level.

I believe he needs to drop a couple pounds, and change his training a bit to get better short-area quickness and a bit more speed. He already has ridiculous power and effort, so a few pounds isn't going to hurt that aspect of his game. IMO, he has a chance to blossom a bit in the NFL where he will be asked to do things they didn't ask of him at Kentucky. I think he is also better at catching the ball than many give him credit for.

I could be wrong about this of course, but I think he can transform his body a bit and improve his receiving ability and his quickness through the holes. He also needs to get better at blitz pickup, but that's where coaching and his effort to get better should be enough.

I know that some of his tough runs, broken tackles, and dragging defenders will get the juices flowing in everyone that watches.

I am anxious to see if what I see in him is really there. We'll find out soon enough.

tube517
05-25-2019, 07:55 AM

On Samules, boy did he show something starting and ripping up New England. On Conner, a pro bowl back with big play ability, he only needs to stay healthy.

You missed the joke. Never mind.

86WARD
05-25-2019, 08:14 AM
Seems like every year they talk about having two HBs in the backfield and then you never see it in a game. Every year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-25-2019, 09:16 AM

Obviously...….

Jaylen Samuels rushing total in 3 seasons in ACC at NC State...………………..700 yds rushing.

Benny Snell Jr. rushing total in 3 seasons in SEC at Kentucky...………………..3,873 yds rushing.

Jaylen Samuels has better receiving skills. Some scouts had him projected as a possible TE/H-back due to his receiving skills, but he was seen by others as a 3rd down back that has great receiving skills, but isn't good in blitz pickup. Benny Snell is twice the rusher that Samuels is and posted similar 40 times as Kareem Hunt did. The idea of putting Conner and Samuels in the backfield together just gives rushing and receiving options IMO. It allows them to split Samuels out like a TE and take another defender out of the box.

polamalubeast
05-25-2019, 12:14 PM

BlackAndGold
05-25-2019, 05:56 PM
that's my prediction also, I'm gonna pick him up for my fantasy team again. he was a stud for me last year...

Only worry with me about Conner as a player is injuries. He's a good one.

Edman
05-25-2019, 07:18 PM
Seems like every year they talk about having two HBs in the backfield and then you never see it in a game. Every year.

Chances are we won't see it this year either. Not with Fichtner at OC.

Born2Steel
05-25-2019, 09:36 PM
Chances are we won't see it this year either. Not with Fichtner at OC.

Are we firing Fichtner now too?

polamalubeast
05-25-2019, 09:39 PM

Born2Steel
05-25-2019, 09:46 PM

Is Porter back and working with RBs now?