PDA

View Full Version : Tony Dungy Discusses How Mike Tomlin Has Handled Steelers’ Locker Room

polamalubeast
05-22-2019, 09:51 AM
A guest on The Rich Eisen Show yesterday, Tony Dungy, former head coach who once hired Tomlin, gave his input on the Steelers’ head coach.

“He was dealing with a lot of personalities,” Dungy said. “That every coach deals with. People think it’s easy. And it’s not. You get high quality guys, guys who are driven, you get guys who want to win in pressure situations.”

Like them or not, players like Ben Roethlisberger, Brown, and Bell all wanted the same thing. Be successful and win. With that intensity, competitiveness, and personality, the situation became volatile, eventually to the detriment of the team. Now, only Big Ben remains in black and gold.

Dungy went on to say how difficult little margin for error a coach has in that situation.

“And these are all things you have to navigate. Finding a way to do that. Finding a way to give enough responsibilities so they can be who they are. But also channel it in the right direction. It’s a fine line to walk.”

Though Dungy still occasionally talks to Tomlin, they don’t discuss those big issues.

“Mike understands how to deal with his team…those kinds of things, I don’t think he needs my advice.”

read more

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/tony-dungy-discusses-how-mike-tomlin-has-handled-steelers-locker-room/

polamalubeast
05-22-2019, 12:14 PM

AtlantaDan
05-22-2019, 12:42 PM

Meaning the QB does not use his Tuesday morning radio appearances to call out you and other teammates?

It was first posted in another thread by polamalubeast, but below is a tweet with video of the Eisen interview with Tony Dungy

In the interview Dungy said Ben's criticisms of his teammates on Tuesday mornings happen all the time on the sidelines or in the locker room - but not in comments to the media

Until Ben dumps the radio show I regard all his happy talk comments about being a better leader as empty spin someone has written out for him

Born2Steel
05-22-2019, 02:35 PM
Meaning the QB does not use his Tuesday morning radio appearances to call out you and other teammates?

It was first posted in another thread by polamalubeast, but below is a tweet with video of the Eisen interview with Tony Dungy

In the interview Dungy said Ben's criticisms of his teammates on Tuesday mornings happen all the time on the sidelines or in the locker room - but not in comments to the media

Until Ben dumps the radio show I regard all his happy talk comments about being a better leader as empty spin someone has written out for him

You are not much of a Big Ben fan judging by your comments over the past few years or so. One thought that helps keep proper perspective is that nearly all NFL players are self absorbed, self important douchebags. Most if not nearly all. Ben’s radio show gives him a platform to display this to more people on a weekly basis. If he were doing this same schtick on ‘Twitter’ everyone would be screaming about how detrimental it is to the team. So yes, I think the radio show is done. At least until after Ben retires and resumes it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-22-2019, 02:36 PM

Good video of the Eisen show, thanks for sharing.

I agree with Tony Dungy in that there are things said on the sidelines and locker rooms, by coaches and players that should not be said in the media in a radio show format. Some guys can do a radio show without saying those things, others cannot.

AtlantaDan
05-22-2019, 03:05 PM
You are not much of a Big Ben fan judging by your comments over the past few years or so. One thought that helps keep proper perspective is that nearly all NFL players are self absorbed, self important douchebags. Most if not nearly all. Ben’s radio show gives him a platform to display this to more people on a weekly basis. If he were doing this same schtick on ‘Twitter’ everyone would be screaming about how detrimental it is to the team. So yes, I think the radio show is done. At least until after Ben retires and resumes it.

I am a fan of Ben between the lines since I am a Steelers fan and am not going to give that up if I regard a particular player on the team (such as Greg Lloyd) to be a reprehensible person off the field.

As far as off the field I think even by the standards of most other professional athletes Ben is a narcissistic, insincere meathead.

As far as the radio show being done, he is not yet committed to giving it up even after last season’s blowup.

Ben also is not sure whether or not the radio show will return for another season on 93.7 The Fan.

“Honestly, I haven’t made a final decision yet. You know, we talk a lot about it with my family, with my agents and the Steelers. I think people like it. People like that I can give them some inside access and things like that, and so we’ll make a final decision some point moving forward. And I think if we do it, it will be the best that we have ever done, and if we don’t, there will be reason for that too,” Roethlisberger said.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2019/05/20/ben-roethlisberger-interview-on-ab/

After all that has gone down if he still is not willing to dump that idiotic show I question all of the better leader platitudes being ladled out this week

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-22-2019, 03:20 PM
I am a fan of Ben between the lines since I am a Steelers fan and am not going to give that up if I regard a particular player on the team (such as Greg Lloyd) to be a reprehensible person off the field.

Well stated. Being a Steelers fan doesn't require you to blur the on field skills and off field persona of players.

I think some people think the notion of being a fan requires devoted support, no matter the circumstances.

Born2Steel
05-22-2019, 05:17 PM

As far as off the field I think even by the standards of most other professional athletes Ben is a narcissistic, insincere meathead.

As far as the radio show being done, he is not yet committed to giving it up even after last season’s blowup.

Ben also is not sure whether or not the radio show will return for another season on 93.7 The Fan.

“Honestly, I haven’t made a final decision yet. You know, we talk a lot about it with my family, with my agents and the Steelers. I think people like it. People like that I can give them some inside access and things like that, and so we’ll make a final decision some point moving forward. And I think if we do it, it will be the best that we have ever done, and if we don’t, there will be reason for that too,” Roethlisberger said.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2019/05/20/ben-roethlisberger-interview-on-ab/

After all that has gone down if he still is not willing to dump that idiotic show I question all of the better leader platitudes being ladled out this week

Yep. Pretty much what I said. For AB and Bell it’s Twitter, for Ben it’s radio. 1=1.

I think Lloyd is an entirely different topic and conversation. I don’t think of Ben as a dangerous person off the field. More like most of your spoiled jocks and celebrities that are used to getting ‘attaboys’ for putting their shoes on correctly.

Steeldude
05-23-2019, 12:44 PM
So he really didn't say anything. Yawn.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-23-2019, 01:16 PM

That is one interpretation of the 5:46 long video posted of where former Steeler and HOF coach appeared on Rich Eisen.

munchy
05-23-2019, 03:27 PM

i didnt waste my time watching but what i read had nothing to do with 'tony dingy discussing how tomlin handled the locker room'
and obviously the way he handled it was wrong seeing the team imploded last yewsr and under achieved the previous several
so maybe tomlin does need dungys advise