PDA

View Full Version : When it comes to the most pessimistic fans in the AFC North, the Steelers take the cake

polamalubeast
05-16-2019, 03:28 PM
Gauging fans’ confidence shows the Steelers have the least amount of faith compared to their divisional peers.

The Pittsburgh Steelers fan base is a fickle bunch. While there are some realistic fans in the group, the majority of the fan base have a ‘Championship or Bust’ mentality. There is nothing wrong with this thought process, after all, the team has won six Super Bowls and is now tied with the New England Patriots atop the Super Bowl list.

Feeling the heat a bit from another NFL franchise for the first time in a long time, it makes sense the Steelers’ fan base might be a bit more pessimistic than most. Again, the team is coming off a one-and-done playoff departure in 2017, and missing the playoffs altogether in 2018.

The fans were frustrated, and rightfully so. But how frustrated? Take a look at the SB Nation Fan Pulse survey results below. At the end of the 2018 season less than 25% of the fan base was confident in the team’s direction. That number jumped significantly in free agency and the signings of Steven Nelson, Mark Barron and Donte Moncrief, but even after trading up to select Devin Bush in the first round of the 2019 NFL Draft didn’t move the needle too much. Still, less than 75% of the fans were happy with the direction of the team.

read more

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/5/16/18617658/when-it-comes-to-the-most-pessimistic-fans-in-the-afc-north-the-steelers-take-the-cake-fan-pulse

polamalubeast
05-16-2019, 03:34 PM
It's normal that when a team implodes like that was the case for the steelers at the end of the last season, it's normal not to be very confident .... It was the lowest point in the Tomlin era, on and especially off the field ....The lockerroom was very toxic

Of course, that can change the next season and they need to prove that ... I think it's possible but we will see.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-16-2019, 04:07 PM
I am Shocked!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvL3jL2ppa0

Edman
05-16-2019, 09:16 PM
Some folks will blame the mess on Bell and Brown, but one single factor remains through the whole fiasco: Mike Tomlin.

I think Steeler Fans have stopped deluding themselves that this guy is a good head coach and realize that what we've seen for the past few years will be par for the course. Good, but not good enough, scraping above mediocre and will only get worse once Ben retires.

But like people have said, winning cures everything. I don't have very high expectations for the 2019 Steelers but we'll see.

hawaiiansteeler
05-16-2019, 09:23 PM
http://www.atbreak.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/optimism-640x492.png

st33lersguy
05-16-2019, 09:37 PM
Pessimism is justified, look at the coaches that are still here

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
05-17-2019, 03:04 AM
I'm very optimistic they make the playoffs this coming season. If it wasn't for the awful field goal kicking and horrible ref calls the last couple games they would have made it easy. As for the playoffs I don't know what to think and they could go all the way and very well could be one and done again.

polamalubeast
05-17-2019, 04:18 AM
I'm very optimistic they make the playoffs this coming season. If it wasn't for the awful field goal kicking and horrible ref calls the last couple games they would have made it easy. As for the playoffs I don't know what to think and they could go all the way and very well could be one and done again.

Maybe, but the steelers were also close to being 7-9.Also been close to miss the playoffs in 2015 and 2016.

If it would not have been the end of the 2018 season that the team would implode, it would have been before ... it was just a matter of time ..... 2017, the steelers were close to being 9-7 or 10-6 too.

Mojouw
05-17-2019, 06:53 AM
Team was something like 3 FGs and a turnover from being the 1 or 2 seed last year.

But we should probably all buy Browns gear.

Brittle snowflakes. All of yinzs. [emoji3]

polamalubeast
05-17-2019, 07:10 AM
The Browns may be the most talented team in our division at the moment, but I do not think they'll handle adversity well with OBJ.

st33lersguy
05-17-2019, 08:35 AM
This team may make the playoffs if high end talent steps up enough, but the way they are set up and with the duo of Tomlin and Butler as HC and DC, they aren't going to make it far in the playoffs they just aren't. The defense will get shredded to the tune of at least 35 points to (insert name of AFC QB that has at least a reasonable shot of making the playoffs here) and the offense will commit too many inopportune turnovers to bail them out. Not sure how anyone looks at this team and sees a Super Bowl win out of this bunch.

polamalubeast
05-17-2019, 09:40 AM
This is not the time to talk about super bowl or even the playoffs!

Of course this is not impossible but let's start to have at least a good culture and a good locker room, which we have not had in the last few years and after we'll see.

pczach
05-17-2019, 01:21 PM
Team was something like 3 FGs and a turnover from being the 1 or 2 seed last year.

Not to mention the fact that Bell took up all that cap space that could have been used to strengthen the team. They were held hostage by him sitting out the season.

When you also factor in the AB fiasco and a kicker that forgot how to kick, the results are more understandable.

People here seem to want to forget that all of that happened, or blame Tomlin for all of it.

st33lersguy
05-17-2019, 02:04 PM

And what after that, another playoff faceplant in the divisional round?

Mojouw
05-17-2019, 02:46 PM
And what after that, another playoff faceplant in the divisional round?
Or a trip to the AFCCG. Or the SB. Or they decide to not show up and go play jai-lai. No way to tell. But the rampant pessimism just seems like a determined effort to be pessimistic.

I certainly don’t expect the team to do much better than 9-7 or 10-6. Make the playoffs as a lower seed and then —- who knows?

So the same as almost every team every season.

polamalubeast
05-17-2019, 03:06 PM

polamalubeast
05-17-2019, 03:18 PM
The steelers were also a tackle away to miss the playoffs in 2016 and they were not in control of their destined in week 17 in 2015.

My point is it was just a matter of time before the team implode since the chemistry of this team was bad for several years.

It's easy to say now, but Colbert would have been very smart to trade Brown and Bell during the 2017 off season, when the locker room was starting to get toxic .....

Sometimes it's a bad idea to keep coaches (like Butler or Haley) or players for too long ... The team was more talented in 2017 than any steelers team team between 2004 to 2010, but the difference between his teams was the chemistry and not too many Me first player.