PDA

View Full Version : Who will emerge as the Steelers number two wide receiver?

polamalubeast
05-12-2019, 06:58 AM
For the first time in a while, the outlook on the wide receiver position is quite unclear. After trading Antonio Brown to the Raiders this offseason, JuJu stands to see an uptick in targets as the Steelers’ number one receiver.

However, if history is any indication, Brown’s departure leaves 168 targets to go around.

My question is this: Who will emerge as the number two receiver in Pittsburgh this year?

There are essentially three candidates to do this for the Steelers: James Washington, Donte Moncrief, and Diontae Johnson. I recently took a poll to get the fans’ view of who they believe will come out on top of this three-person positional battle in 2019. Here’s how they voted:

read more

https://stillcurtain.com/2019/05/11/who-will-emerge-steelers-number-two-wr/

Six Rings
05-12-2019, 08:20 AM
For the first time in a while, the outlook on the wide receiver position is quite unclear. After trading Antonio Brown to the Raiders this offseason, JuJu stands to see an uptick in targets as the Steelers’ number one receiver.

However, if history is any indication, Brown’s departure leaves 168 targets to go around.

My question is this: Who will emerge as the number two receiver in Pittsburgh this year?

There are essentially three candidates to do this for the Steelers: James Washington, Donte Moncrief, and Diontae Johnson. I recently took a poll to get the fans’ view of who they believe will come out on top of this three-person positional battle in 2019. Here’s how they voted:

read more

https://stillcurtain.com/2019/05/11/who-will-emerge-steelers-number-two-wr/

In terms of catches I'dd add Eli Rogers into the mix. He might catch the 2nd most balls among the WR's.

We really don't have a #2 right now. My guess would be Monciref. At least he has some size and speed. Moncrief has has his share of 100 yard games in the past and has been stuck with bad QB's and shaky OL's limiting his production. Ben makes his receivers, not the other way around.

Washington didn't show me much as a rookie. In fact he looked slow with iffy hands. Johnson with his below average size and speed is going to need to prove he can get open vs NFL DB's. Maybe he's quick enough and a good route runner. We'll see.

Tight End McDonald needs a good year. If he gets hurt, the passing game is in some trouble.

86WARD
05-12-2019, 09:18 AM
Moncrief. No doubt. After that Rogers.

Born2Steel
05-12-2019, 02:12 PM
This is assuming JuJu is the #1 of course, like we all see him being. But what if JuJu is the #2 guy this season? That means one of these other WRs really stepped up and took the #1 spot. That would be a great thing. I do not expect much from Johnson as a rookie. I'm willing to give him a rookie pass and just hope he learns a lot. Washington hardly saw any action so I don't expect much more from him either. I see the 3 biggest targets for Ben being JuJu, McDonald, and Moncrief. Just need some production out of Rogers, Switzer, and/or whoever else makes this squad. Shouldn't forget Samuels played the 'Swiss army knife' role. Wasn't he listed as a TE in the draft, or somewhere in his profile? Grimble needs to step up big time as the #2 TE this year also. But watch it be Gentry after all the hate that pick got from the fans. That would be some sweet irony.

Mojouw
05-12-2019, 02:21 PM
It needs to be Washington if they want to still be an offense that can hit that 30 point/game mark consistently.

Moncrief was a really solid off-season addition, but he is what he is. Washington (in theory) has the tools to be a #1 WR, let alone a great #2.

A big key to the Steelers offense will be how far Washington progresses.

If I was the opposing DC, I would double JuJu and try and stuff Conner. Then see if any of the other "just a guy or unproven youngsters" could beat me.

Born2Steel
05-12-2019, 02:24 PM
It needs to be Washington if they want to still be an offense that can hit that 30 point/game mark consistently.

Moncrief was a really solid off-season addition, but he is what he is. Washington (in theory) has the tools to be a #1 WR, let alone a great #2.

If I was the opposing DC, I would double JuJu and try and stuff Conner. Then see if any of the other "just a guy or unproven youngsters" could beat me.

This is correct. Washington NEEDS to be the guy that really steps up this season. I am worried about him though after such limited action last year. But here's to hoping the Steelers still know how to pick WRs.

Steeldude
05-12-2019, 02:27 PM

Agreed.

polamalubeast
05-12-2019, 02:29 PM

I do not think it's realistic to ask for 30 points per game consistently .... 25 points per game(400 points) with a balanced offense and fewer turnovers is what I'm going to ask for this offense.Good point on Washington,he is the key.

DesertSteel
05-12-2019, 03:12 PM
By game 6 I expect Washington to be getting the second most targets and Moncrief to be third.

- - - Updated - - -

So your all out on Washington huh?

BlackAndGold
05-12-2019, 05:49 PM
By week 5, JuJu, Washington and Johnson will be the top 3 WR's.

Washington is going to break out like Conner did last season.

86WARD
05-12-2019, 09:32 PM
By game 6 I expect Washington to be getting the second most targets and Moncrief to be third.

- - - Updated - - -

So your all out on Washington huh?

Not all out on Washington. Just think he’s somewhere average in between JuJu and Sweed. Charles Johnson maybe...hopefully wrong, but I didn’t see much last year that excited me. I don’t think Moncrief is better, he’s just going to get the numbers by default.

Edman
05-12-2019, 11:25 PM
Washington will step up mid-season, but I see nothing ground-breaking from him. 800 yards maybe. Moncrief is eh.

While AB was a disruptive cancer, no doubt the Steelers will miss him on the field this year. This is the first time in a decade Ben will be without a group of talented receivers to throw to. We're talking 2004-2009 Cedrick Wilson-Levels of Wideouts. I cannot state enough how much the Passing game and the Offense will take a major step back this season. If Fichtner/Ben have even remote dreams of chasing Passing statistics in 2019, the Steelers will not win more than 8 games.

hawaiiansteeler
05-12-2019, 11:53 PM
If Fichtner/Ben have even remote dreams of chasing Passing statistics in 2019, the Steelers will not win more than 8 games.

the Steelers will definitely win at least 8 games because Tomlin has never had a losing season :stirthepot:

munchy
05-13-2019, 09:18 AM
Agreed.

what he said

- - - Updated - - -

the Steelers will definitely win at least 8 games because Tomlin has never had a losing season :stirthepot:

0-0-16 would qualify and keep lots of fans happy too

Born2Steel
05-13-2019, 12:17 PM
what he said

- - - Updated - - -

0-0-16 would qualify and keep lots of fans happy too

3-0-16! Perfect season!

polamalubeast
05-13-2019, 02:56 PM
I can not believe that some doubt of Ben because of the loss of Antonio Brown....Before Brown became a star in 20913 Roethlisberger was solid with several WR corp in his career and it was often with a bad o-line.

I do not think our WR corp is going to be bad .... JuJu is a star and if two other WR's can be constant, the steelers are going to be fine.

Also, the key will be our defense .... if they are garbage, the steelers have no chance, but if it is a defense that can be trusted in crucial situation, the steelers will have a very good season.It's going to take a team effort .... I do not want our team to depend too much on a player or something like that.No team can win that way...Just look at the Green Bay Packers in the last couple years.

Fire Goodell
05-13-2019, 04:06 PM
Washington

polamalubeast
05-13-2019, 04:28 PM
Antonio: Who starts week 1 at wide receiver other than Ju-Ju?
Ray Fittipaldo: Another good question. Could be James Washington. Could be Donte Moncrief. Could be Diontae Johnson. If Washington progresses and has a good preseason my guess is it will be him. But he has to prove it this summer.

read more

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2019/05/13/Ray-Fittipaldo-s-Steelers-chat-05-13-19/stories/201905130082

Shoes
05-13-2019, 07:47 PM
By week 5, JuJu, Washington and Johnson will be the top 3 WR's.

Washington is going to break out like Conner did last season.

Agreed!

Dwinsgames
05-15-2019, 11:37 AM
Moncrief is a beast ....

Has speed , has power ....

has proven to be able to produce in this league even with stiffs throwing him the ball ....

Wait till Ben has his shots .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDJLl74K0dg

Fire Goodell
05-15-2019, 12:30 PM
Moncrief is a beast ....

has proven to be able to produce in this league even with stiffs throwing him the ball ....

You mean Blake Bortles isn't a good QB? He hung up over 40 against us!

I kid, I kid :chuckle:

pczach
05-15-2019, 04:52 PM
Moncrief is a beast ....

I think many are going to be surprised at how good Moncrief is, and can be.

Dwinsgames
05-15-2019, 09:34 PM
I think many are going to be surprised at how good Moncrief is, and can be.

agreed ... he was my hands down favorite WR his draft year

hawaiiansteeler
07-26-2019, 10:22 PM
Eric Herrmann (SCU) Retweeted

Zach Metkler
@GZSports_ZM

So far, the Big Ben-Moncrief chemistry has not been overblown. They are connecting on almost every target. Love to see it.

https://twitter.com/SteelersGrind

polamalubeast
07-27-2019, 06:28 AM

Butch
07-27-2019, 07:05 AM
Could the departure of AB be a tad over blown? Don't get me wrong AB was a great WR while he was here, but just because he's gone doesn't mean we are going to miss a beat. If Washington steps up we will be right where we need to be with 1-3, and if he doesn't then we will have others who most likely will. I am more worried about our kickers than I am any of our WRs.

polamalubeast
07-27-2019, 07:09 AM
Could the departure of AB be a tad over blown? Don't get me wrong AB was a great WR while he was here, but just because he's gone doesn't mean we are going to miss a beat. If Washington steps up we will be right where we need to be with 1-3, and if he doesn't then we will have others who most likely will. I am more worried about our kickers than I am any of our WRs.

I think this core has potential to be very good ..... Just need 2 or 3 other WR after JuJu to be good and the steelers are going to be fine at this position.

86WARD
07-27-2019, 08:53 AM
It will be JuJu as Vance McDonald will emerge as the #1 receiving threat!!!

polamalubeast
07-27-2019, 03:38 PM

polamalubeast
07-27-2019, 06:43 PM

polamalubeast
07-27-2019, 07:51 PM
– We knew Diontae Spencer could jet but his wheels on display today. He’s made plays downfield the first two practices.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/07/2019-steelers-training-camp-diary-day-two/

BlackAndGold
07-27-2019, 07:56 PM
Will be interesting to hear about Spencer when the pads go on.

polamalubeast
07-27-2019, 07:57 PM
Will be interesting to hear about Spencer when the pads go on.

This will be his next challenge.

hawaiiansteeler
07-27-2019, 08:43 PM
– We knew Diontae Spencer could jet but his wheels on display today. He’s made plays downfield the first two practices.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/07/2019-steelers-training-camp-diary-day-two/

• Johnson continued to be largely invisible at practice, the third-round pick noticeable more for his drops or missed connections than for receptions. The best receiver named “Diontae” through two days has been CFL star Spencer and not Johnson. Spencer had two nice plays in one 11-on-11 session, once beating Artie Burns for a long touchdown, another time putting a nice move on Herb Waters for a catch.

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers-inside-the-ropes-chris-boswell-passes-first-test-of-camp-albeit-an-easy-one/

polamalubeast
07-27-2019, 08:52 PM
• Johnson continued to be largely invisible at practice, the third-round pick noticeable more for his drops or missed connections than for receptions. The best receiver named “Diontae” through two days has been CFL star Spencer and not Johnson. Spencer had two nice plays in one 11-on-11 session, once beating Artie Burns for a long touchdown, another time putting a nice move on Herb Waters for a catch.

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers-inside-the-ropes-chris-boswell-passes-first-test-of-camp-albeit-an-easy-one/

Not a good report for Johnson.

Mojouw
07-27-2019, 11:23 PM

So the other dude made two plays on a guy who will be bagging groceries in month and a guy who should be bagging groceries now.

Excuse me while I remain unconvinced of anything. Let's let the kid make the jump from the MAC for more than 4 days before we bury him. If someone from the CFL can't come in and make plays on bottom tier camp fodder, well maybe the CFL should fold.

hawaiiansteeler
07-28-2019, 12:28 AM

there's another guy from the MAC who didn't do so well his rookie year.

Antonio Brown's rookie year stats: 16 rec for 167 yds and no TDs.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
07-28-2019, 01:51 AM
1155251612832751617 Spencer sounds like he could be a preseason game star! Later pick up by the Pats when the Steelers cut him.

07-28-2019, 02:26 AM
Steelers already know the six wr's they are keeping! Spencer would have to be amazing in the preseason games to make the roster! If he makes it and not very likely that will mean Switz or Rogers goes. My guess is Rogers. Again not very likely!

polamalubeast
07-28-2019, 05:02 AM
So the other dude made two plays on a guy who will be bagging groceries in month and a guy who should be bagging groceries now.

Excuse me while I remain unconvinced of anything. Let's let the kid make the jump from the MAC for more than 4 days before we bury him. If someone from the CFL can't come in and make plays on bottom tier camp fodder, well maybe the CFL should fold.

I do not bury Johnson, but I admit I'd wish that he would have been better than being invisible in the first few day especially without the pads!

there's another guy from the MAC who didn't do so well his rookie year.

Antonio Brown's rookie year stats: 16 rec for 167 yds and no TDs.

To be honest, his stats were low because of his playing time ... Brown had shown a lot of flash during practices, training camp and preseason in 2010.

teegre
07-28-2019, 12:44 PM
It will be JuJu as Vance McDonald will emerge as the #1 receiving threat!!!

That would be... brilliant!!!

polamalubeast
07-28-2019, 03:12 PM

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I hope he is fine..

- - - Updated - - -

polamalubeast
07-28-2019, 04:06 PM

BlackAndGold
07-28-2019, 05:46 PM

We're hearing nothing about Switzer nor Rogers. Spencer taking both of their jobs?

polamalubeast
07-28-2019, 06:04 PM
We're hearing nothing about Switzer nor Rogers. Spencer taking both of their jobs?

Maybe one of the two...I don't know...The steelers need to keep their best players on this roster!

Spencer is really fast too(4.27 for the 40 yards)

BlackAndGold
07-28-2019, 06:08 PM
Maybe one of the two...I don't know...The steelers need to keep their best players on this roster!

Spencer is really fast too(4.27 for the 40 yards)
Speed kills.

It'll be interesting how many WR's they keep. I've noted months back that when the Steelers keep 6 WR's it's mostly due to the fact the 6th guy can play on coverage units. The known names on the roster don't have that abilty.

Either way, I like what I'm hearing about the WR group.

Born2Steel
07-28-2019, 06:54 PM
Eli and Switzer have the trust of the coaches and Ben. Eli is a punt returner. Switzer is a KO returner. Spencer returns both. If Spencer continues to have a very productive preseason(I think Spencer is 4'3" and 75lbs) he may replace Eli OR Switzer on the 53. I seriously doubt we will see all 3 unless there are a few injuries. Although having several WRs that play ST plus WR is tempting depending on who they would replace.

polamalubeast
07-28-2019, 07:05 PM
The steelers can not put Eli Rogers as punt returner ... It was awful ... Even Tomlin had lost confidence in him back in 2017 after his fumble in Chicago in week 3.You can't fumble as returner!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1XDNpi-bXY

Johnson could be one of our punt returner.

Born2Steel
07-28-2019, 07:56 PM
The steelers can not put Eli Rogers as punt returner ... It was awful ... Even Tomlin had lost confidence in him back in 2017 after his fumble in Chicago in week 3.You can't fumble as returner!

Johnson could be one of our punt returner.

Johnson double clutches his catches as a returner too according to reports. That won't cut it either.

polamalubeast
07-28-2019, 08:07 PM
Johnson double clutches his catches as a returner too according to reports. That won't cut it either.

I agree if this is the case.

Switzer seems to be the safe pick for that ... The only thing I want from a returner is not fumble and also to take the yards that are available

If our returner would be the next Devin Hester, that would be amazing, but the two things I want from a returner is that.

Also no penalty, but the penalty is not on the control to the returner unless this player wants to do too much.

polamalubeast
07-28-2019, 08:32 PM
– Nice to see Diontae Johnson show up a little more today with his two touchdowns in seven shots.

– Like seeing Diontae Spencer’s speed on display but the diving catch over the middle on Layne was even more impressive. That was a football play. Nice start for him but be warned, receivers have gone down this path before only to fade at the end (see Damoun Patterson last year).

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/07/2019-steelers-training-camp-diary-day-three/

polamalubeast
07-29-2019, 03:26 PM

polamalubeast
07-30-2019, 08:56 AM
Wide Receiver

– JuJu Smith-Schuster looks like his usual, excellent self. Donte Moncrief off to a nice start, on the same page with Ben Roethlisberger, until he suffered that finger injury yesterday. James Washington has been a little up and down but shown the ability to stack corners and find the ball over the top. It’s been a fine start. Diontae Johnson has to see the ball in and not get upfield too quickly but with the ball in his hands, he’s quick-twitch with the ability to stop-start and make taller corners and safeties struggle to keep up. Diontae Spencer has shown big-play ability with some technique and burst at the top of his route as a route runner. Eli Rogers has run ahead of Ryan Switzer and made a bigger impact in team drills while Tevin Jones and (especially) Trey Griffey have been very quiet.

– Plenty of four receiver sets, maximizing the talent and depth they have, and you’re going to see four – and maybe even five – wide this year.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/07/2019-steelers-training-camp-initial-thoughts/

polamalubeast
07-31-2019, 09:14 AM
I would not be surprised if Vance McDonald is 2nd for receiving yards for the steelers in 2019 ... Let's hope he'll stay healthy, which was the case last year when he play the last 15 games after missing the training camp and week one...

The chemistry between him and Ben was also excellent last year too.

DesertSteel
07-31-2019, 11:22 AM
I think James Washington will emerge as the real #2 in terms of production. There's a reason he went in R2.

Fire Goodell
07-31-2019, 12:01 PM
From what it sounds like from the camp reports is that nobody can cover that Diontae Spencer kid. The guy might push Switzer off the roster if he keeps it up.

Crazy to think about it but who would have thought that WR could be a strong suit already just one year after losing AB? Camp reports are saying Moncrief and Spencer look good, and that Washington looks ready for his 2nd year. Not to mention we also got that guy Samuels who had good production split out wide also.

polamalubeast
07-31-2019, 12:15 PM
From what it sounds like from the camp reports is that nobody can cover that Diontae Spencer kid. The guy might push Switzer off the roster if he keeps it up.

Crazy to think about it but who would have thought that WR could be a strong suit already just one year after losing AB? Camp reports are saying Moncrief and Spencer look good, and that Washington looks ready for his 2nd year. Not to mention we also got that guy Samuels who had good production split out wide also.

It could be the case

They are going to need to prove that on the field, but this core could be a strength for the team ... It could also be a weakness if the worst scenario happens and no one outside of JuJu becomes above average.

We're going to see, I hope(and I think) this core is going to be productive, but it's the position where no one can be certain what to expect ... It could be great and it could be bad or it could be in between .

Fire Goodell
07-31-2019, 12:40 PM
It could be the case

They are going to need to prove that on the field, but this core could be a strength for the team ... It could also be a weakness if the worst scenario happens and no one outside of JuJu becomes above average.

We're going to see, I hope(and I think) this core is going to be productive, but it's the position where no one can be certain what to expect ... It could be great and it could be bad or it could be in between .

You're right. There's a lot of 'ifs' in that equation, but the camp reports do sound promising. Then again, if practice always translated to the field, Justin Hunter would be in the hall of fame. They gotta do it when it counts.

86WARD
07-31-2019, 01:36 PM

There was a lot off Switzer talk at the beginning.

polamalubeast
07-31-2019, 01:46 PM

Eli Rogers (3 targets, 2 catch) and Ryan Switzer (5 target, 5 catch) have not had a lot of target right now, I do not know why, maybe it's because they are not often open or that they are not often used.

Switzer was also our punt returner last year, so that may be an advantage for him. I would be surprised if he is cut ... It could happen for Rogers too.

JuJu Smith-Schuster: 13/21 207 yards 3 TDs – 61.9%
James Washington: 10/19 107 yards 1 TD – 52.6%
Donte Moncrief: 13/17 125 yards 2 TDs – 76.5%
Diontae Johnson: 8/14 63 yards 3 TDs – 57.1%
Vance McDonald: 8/13 48 yards 1 TD – 61.5%
Diontae Spencer: 7/11 107 yards – 63.6%
Tevin Jones: 4/8 28 yards – 50%
Jaylen Samuels: 6/7 33 yards – 85.7%
James Conner: 6/7 24 yards 1 TD – 85.7%
Ryan Switzer: 5/5 39 yards – 100%
Kevin Rader: 2/5 11 yards 1 TD – 40%
Trey Edmunds: 5/5 9 yards – 100%
Ralph Webb: 4/4 33 yards – 100%
Trevor Wood: 4/4 24 yards 1 TD – 100%
Zach Gentry: 3/4 26 yards – 75%
Christian Scotland-Williamson: 2/4 9 yards – 50%
Eli Rogers: 2/3 29 yards – 66%
Xavier Grimble: 2/3 18 yards 1 TD – 66%
Benny Snell: 2/3 15 yards – 66%
Travon McMillan: 1/2 8 yards – 50%
Malik Williams: 1/2 7 yards – 50%
Johnny Holton: 1/1 10 yards – 100%
Roosevelt Nix: 1/1 6 yards – 100%
Trey Griffey: 0/1 0 yards – 0%

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/07/2019-steelers-training-camp-stats-first-four-practices/

polamalubeast
07-31-2019, 03:17 PM

polamalubeast
07-31-2019, 03:23 PM

polamalubeast
07-31-2019, 03:45 PM

polamalubeast
07-31-2019, 03:54 PM

polamalubeast
07-31-2019, 05:27 PM

polamalubeast
07-31-2019, 07:07 PM

polamalubeast
08-01-2019, 09:01 AM

Mojouw
08-01-2019, 09:45 AM

So we can assume this is based of the alignment of guys in the pre-practice walkthrough on day 6 or so of camp. Sounds conclusive to me.

Johnson and Washington play different positions within the WR grouping. Both are making the team. Both will be dressed in gamedays. Either this is purely a fantasy football focused comment or the author of the Tweet doesn't know much about football.

Mojouw
08-01-2019, 09:47 AM
So we can assume this is based of the alignment of guys in the pre-practice walkthrough on day 6 or so of camp. Sounds conclusive to me.

Johnson and Washington play different positions within the WR grouping. Both are making the team. Both will be dressed in gamedays. Either this is purely a fantasy football focused comment or the author of the Tweet doesn't know much about football.

Just looked him up. He's a fantasy football "guru".

DesertSteel
08-01-2019, 09:47 AM

He looks like Vince Lombardi to me! :chuckle:

Rotorhead
08-01-2019, 09:56 AM
I think Moncrief is going to have his best year this season. Defenses will be focused on Juju and Moncrief is going to be a monster!

polamalubeast
08-01-2019, 09:57 AM

Both can play as an outside receiver, but this is rare that a rookie (especially a 3rd round draft pick) is first to have the opportunity to be on the first team in front of a player who has already played in the NFL, and is a player who still has potential.

It does not say everything of course, but I was still surprised.

polamalubeast
08-01-2019, 10:17 AM

Mojouw
08-01-2019, 10:19 AM
Both can play as an outside receiver, but this is rare that a rookie (especially a 3rd round draft pick) is first to have the opportunity to be on the first team in front of a player who has already played in the NFL, and is a player who still has potential.

It does not say everything of course, but I was still surprised.

But Washington plays more of a classic "flanker/deep guy/Z WR" kinda role. Johnson plays more of an "Split End/X WR/Slot" kinda role. If both prove they can get open in the NFL and hang on to the ball, they are both going to have a big role on the 2019 Steelers. Based on skill-sets and projected "roles" Eli Rogers should be FAR more worried about Johnson getting some run with the #1 offense than Washington.

Also, how rare is it that a rookie gets a practice session over a veteran? I have no idea. I honestly do not follow the Steelers or any other NFL team practice session by practice session over training camp. I could be very wrong, but I strongly believe that reading too much into a single training camp practice is missing the forest for the trees kinda thing...if it starts happening consistently -- well then there is something to all of it. Just one or two times? They just want to get a look. For instance, the other day Foster got a veteran day off (similar to Moncrief being out with a minor injury) and Feiler got the call at LG, NOT Finney. Does that mean that Chuks has won the RT competion, Feiler has passed Finney as the main interior OL reserve, and some other guy is going to get cut? Almost certainly not. But the team wanted to try something out -- so they did. The WR rotation, at this point, is almost certainly the same thing.

Mojouw
08-01-2019, 10:27 AM
Here is more from Tomlin on the mixing and matching of guys in practice: https://steelersdepot.com/2019/08/mike-tomlin-issues-first-warning-of-camp-not-to-pay-attention-to-depth-charts/

“I wouldn’t read too much into the groups at this juncture”, he went on. “We’re looking for certain matchups and things. The closer we get to in-stadium play, we’ll start worry about depth charts and such. Right now, we just want to challenge people, we want to see them in a variety of groups versus a variety of competition from an experience standpoint”.

86WARD
08-01-2019, 02:46 PM
It’s going to be Moncrief if it’s not JuJu himself. Moncrief is an everything guy and he will be on the field more than any other WR. He can do short, mid and deep. He’s the guy. He’s produced with garbage at QB. It’s JuJu and Moncrief then everybody else.

teegre
08-01-2019, 02:54 PM
From what I’ve gathered (by reading various reports):

Diontae Johnson can get open at will. Alas, he doesn’t catch the ball as “routinely” as he gets open.

SUMMATION:
I expect to see a lot of open looks, a lot of balls thrown his way, and about 1 in 9 dropped.

polamalubeast
08-01-2019, 03:18 PM
Still the same rotation that yesterday..

polamalubeast
08-02-2019, 07:42 AM
Don’t expect to see Eli Rogers gone any time soon. Rogers is not only getting the first crack at slot snaps, but he is showing out too. He had a few highlight reel plays today, and is as good of a route runner as he has ever been.

Diontae Spencer is an impressive player. He’s quick, he’s fast, and he’s a really attentive route runner. I liked what I saw, but he has to show out in the return game.

Ryan Switzer is just as quick and shifty as ever. He is a mismatch still out of the slot. If anyone loses their spot to the ascending Spencer, though, it’s Switzer.

James Washington looks much better this year than last year. He looks quicker and faster, his routes look sharper, and he seems to be more in the game. I really like what I saw.

Diontae Johnson’s tape at Toledo really translated right over to what I saw today. His releases, route running, and technical ability are all as advertised. The guy can play.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/08/farabaugh-training-camp-observations-day-six/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

BlackAndGold
08-02-2019, 03:05 PM
Rogers proving me wrong. Good to know.

Also, starting to think they'll go with 6 WR's after not believing they would unless that 6th receiver played on coverage units.

Reason? TE depth. I think they'll take no chances and make sure this team has options for Ben.

Mojouw
08-02-2019, 03:08 PM
So how many does everyone think they carry? 6?

Juju
Moncrief
Washington
Rogers
Johnson
Switzer

Wish they had another large WR in the mix. That is a number of small shifty dudes.

08-02-2019, 03:47 PM
So how many does everyone think they carry? 6?

Juju
Moncrief
Washington
Rogers
Johnson
Switzer

Wish they had another large WR in the mix. That is a number of small shifty dudes. That sounds about right unless Spencer has a huge preseason.

86WARD
08-02-2019, 03:57 PM
Don’t expect to see Eli Rogers gone any time soon. Rogers is not only getting the first crack at slot snaps, but he is showing out too. He had a few highlight reel plays today, and is as good of a route runner as he has ever been.

Diontae Spencer is an impressive player. He’s quick, he’s fast, and he’s a really attentive route runner. I liked what I saw, but he has to show out in the return game.

Ryan Switzer is just as quick and shifty as ever. He is a mismatch still out of the slot. If anyone loses their spot to the ascending Spencer, though, it’s Switzer.

James Washington looks much better this year than last year. He looks quicker and faster, his routes look sharper, and he seems to be more in the game. I really like what I saw.

Diontae Johnson’s tape at Toledo really translated right over to what I saw today. His releases, route running, and technical ability are all as advertised. The guy can play.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/08/farabaugh-training-camp-observations-day-six/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Juju, Moncrief, Rogers, Johnson, Washington, Switzer. No one needs to “lose out” here. There’s a roster spot for all 6.

BlackAndGold
08-02-2019, 05:18 PM
May come down to a preseason battle of Switz vs Spencer if Rogers is indeed looking good/safe.

polamalubeast
08-02-2019, 05:21 PM
The edge for Switzer is he can return the punt...

polamalubeast
08-02-2019, 08:27 PM

polamalubeast
08-02-2019, 09:02 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Rotorhead
08-02-2019, 11:58 PM
So Dionte will be “injured” this season to get stronger for next season, got it.

polamalubeast
08-04-2019, 06:43 PM

hawaiiansteeler
08-04-2019, 06:46 PM

Brian Allen will not make the team...

polamalubeast
08-04-2019, 06:55 PM
Brian Allen will not make the team...

I admit I did not know who was the CB against Johnson.

BlackAndGold
08-04-2019, 06:57 PM

His route running is fantastic. Great catch also.

hawaiiansteeler
08-04-2019, 06:58 PM
His route running is fantastic. Great catch also.

especially for a rookie! :thumbsup:

polamalubeast
08-04-2019, 07:04 PM

polamalubeast
08-04-2019, 07:41 PM
:boom:

- - - Updated - - -

Rotorhead
08-04-2019, 09:02 PM
:boom:

- - - Updated - - -

Hard to tell, but it looked to me like he was peeking at the defender on that drop.

polamalubeast
08-05-2019, 08:30 AM

polamalubeast
08-06-2019, 11:31 AM

Fire Goodell
08-06-2019, 12:09 PM
people were saying juju was too slow to be a playmaker at the NFL level, and the guy already has 2 TD's over 90 yards lol.

polamalubeast
08-07-2019, 07:36 AM

86WARD
08-07-2019, 07:51 AM

I agree. I said it when they signed him. He had a solid career with shot at QB...now he’s got a future HoF QB throwing to him.

polamalubeast
08-08-2019, 07:49 AM

86WARD
08-08-2019, 12:18 PM
Moncrief can and has played all the receiving positions.

polamalubeast
08-09-2019, 08:44 AM
Donning a literal hard hat, workmanlike Eli Rogers re-claiming his role in Steelers offense

It was not uncommon for Eli Rogers to be spotted in a construction hard hat around the UPMC Rooney Sports Complex last fall, and he showed up to training camp last month in the cab of a big rig.

Rogers clearly wants to advance that he’s all about business and he’s ready to work.

Too often over his 4 ½ years as part of the Pittsburgh Steelers, though, Rogers hasn’t been able to because of injury.

But during this training camp, Rogers has been healthy, locked-in and established as NFL slot receiver. That’s allowed his showing to mesh with his handpicked persona: acquitting himself well while being reliably consistent practice-in and practice-out. While he hasn’t been an eye-popping standout, Rogers hasn’t missed a practice session, and nothing that’s happened on the Saint Vincent College practice fields suggests that Rogers won’t again be part of the Steelers’ roster come the start of the regular season.

Not that Rogers is taking anything for granted.

“You know you’re only as good as your last play,” Rogers said. “I didn’t play last year, really – I came back the last three games – so I definitely am a person that goes out to prove himself every day in practice and in the games. If I just worry about what I’m doing, everything else will fall into place, and I will be playing on Sundays.”

read more

https://triblive.com/sports/donning-a-literal-hard-hat-workmanlike-eli-rogers-re-claiming-his-role-in-steelers-offense/

polamalubeast
08-09-2019, 08:17 PM

I hope it will be the case!

86WARD
08-09-2019, 08:23 PM
Could be a #2 WR battle!!!

polamalubeast
08-09-2019, 08:26 PM
Could be a #2 WR battle!!!

The good news,we can put 3 WR or more if we want at this position!

polamalubeast
08-09-2019, 08:55 PM

polamalubeast
08-09-2019, 09:07 PM

polamalubeast
08-10-2019, 07:55 AM

teegre
08-10-2019, 08:51 AM
The Steelers are the best at drafting WR’s. Most impressive thing: there’s not a R1 pick among them.

Oh, and they are the youngest receiving corps in the NFL (it’s just going to get better).

Hawkman
08-10-2019, 08:57 AM
How can we be so good at drafting WRs and so poor at drafting secondary positions. Some slip ups (Sweed), but most here....including me...thought he would great.....another Plax. Ah well just talking out loud.

teegre
08-10-2019, 09:00 AM
How can we be so good at drafting WRs and so poor at drafting secondary positions. Some slip ups (Sweed), but most here....including me...thought he would great.....another Plax. Ah well just talking out loud.

Don’t worry: someone will remind us that Diontae Johnson is already a bust. :jerkit:

As far as Sweed goes: I absolutely loved that pick. So much so, that if we redrafted the 2008 draft all over again... I’d still take Sweed.

polamalubeast
08-10-2019, 09:06 AM

Having Ben helps a lot and he deserves more credit for that, but yes Colbert is great in that!

teegre
08-10-2019, 09:08 AM
Having Ben helps a lot and he deserves more credit for that, but yes Colbert is great in that!

That is a great point/good discussion topic.

How much of it is Colbert drafting good WRs?... and, how much of it is Ben making “goof” receivers look “great”?

polamalubeast
08-10-2019, 09:12 AM

How much of it is Colbert drafting good WRs?... and, how much of it is Ben making “goof” receivers look “great”?

But for some, Ben needs to prove this year that the reason he was good was not because of Antonio Brown...:rolleyes:

He is a awful leader too...

Hawkman
08-10-2019, 09:19 AM

Does make you wonder if QBs get a room with owner and GM and say......”I like this guy”.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-10-2019, 09:43 AM

Yes, good point. Ben really made Washington look great last night!

polamalubeast
08-10-2019, 09:46 AM

Of course, we were only talking about the preseason game of Washington yesterday and not the first 15 years of Roethlisberger:rolleyes:

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-10-2019, 10:48 AM
Of course, we were only talking about the preseason game of Washington yesterday and not the first 15 years of Roethlisberger:rolleyes:

I'm discussing the topic of this thread. I wasn't really sliding off on the tangent of a 15 year player career.

I thought Washington showed quite well last night, some of the skills that made him a Belietnikof award winner as the best college WR in 2017. He definitely could be one of the Steelers top 2 WR's.

86WARD
08-10-2019, 10:54 AM
Don’t worry: someone will remind us that Diontae Johnson is already a bust. :jerkit:

As far as Sweed goes: I absolutely loved that pick. So much so, that if we redrafted the 2008 draft all over again... I’d still take Sweed.

I say that every time when talking about that Sweed pick...

polamalubeast
08-10-2019, 11:18 AM

polamalubeast
08-10-2019, 01:00 PM

st33lersguy
08-10-2019, 01:26 PM
Washington looked good, hopefully this translates to the season

polamalubeast
08-10-2019, 01:32 PM
Washington looked good, hopefully this translates to the season

He admitted during the off season that he thought that his success in pre season last year would continue during the regular season .... I think he will have learned from that, not be too high after a big play and big game or too low after a bad play.

polamalubeast
08-10-2019, 04:13 PM

Born2Steel
08-10-2019, 05:03 PM

I got the same feeling. JuJu, Moncreif, Wash, Johnson, and Eli have jobs currently. Switzer is still outside looking in at that possible 6th spot with all the rest. Spencer and Tevin Jones are still in the mix as well.

08-10-2019, 07:15 PM
1160293825933381635 I would say Switz is safer and Ben's buddy.

hawaiiansteeler
08-10-2019, 08:55 PM
I got the same feeling. JuJu, Moncreif, Wash, Johnson, and Eli have jobs currently. Switzer is still outside looking in at that possible 6th spot with all the rest. Spencer and Tevin Jones are still in the mix as well.

I think only 4 WRs are safe: JuJu, Moncrief, Washington and Johnson.

if we keep 6, the competition for the last two spots will be between Switzer, Eli, Spencer, Tevin Jones and Johnny Holton.

Born2Steel
08-10-2019, 09:45 PM
I think only 4 WRs are safe: JuJu, Moncrief, Washington and Johnson.

if we keep 6, the competition for the last two spots will be between Switzer, Eli, Spencer, Tevin Jones and Johnny Holton.

You could be right that only 4 are currently safe. Holton was the name I couldn't remember before but he's definitely in this hunt too. I don't know how important a KO returner is anymore. Seems the NFL has adjusted for negating them mostly. If kicking to a decent returner kick it out the back. If kicking to a not so great returner kick just short of the EZ and force the return. Either way teams usually get pinned on KOs inside their own 25. This thinking puts Eli ahead of Switzer and Spencer in the return game plus Eli is the better WR overall. I see Holton and Jones as guys with better size for 50/50 balls than Switzer and Spencer. Although Switzer and Spencer have more short area quickness to get open faster. Should be a fun race to watch. For the record I see keeping 6 WRs again this season.

86WARD
08-10-2019, 09:50 PM
I would say Switz is safer and Ben's buddy.

I feel like Switzer is the safer pick and Holton, at this point, is far and away ahead of Spencer and Jones. Holton may get a special teams spot (DHB). He played well as a receiver and on STs.

08-10-2019, 09:58 PM
You could be right that only 4 are currently safe. Holton was the name I couldn't remember before but he's definitely in this hunt too. I don't know how important a KO returner is anymore. Seems the NFL has adjusted for negating them mostly. If kicking to a decent returner kick it out the back. If kicking to a not so great returner kick just short of the EZ and force the return. Either way teams usually get pinned on KOs inside their own 25. This thinking puts Eli ahead of Switzer and Spencer in the return game plus Eli is the better WR overall. I see Holton and Jones as guys with better size for 50/50 balls than Switzer and Spencer. Although Switzer and Spencer have more short area quickness to get open faster. Should be a fun race to watch. For the record I see keeping 6 WRs again this season.To me it's a given they will keep 6.

- - - Updated - - -

I feel like Switzer is the safer pick and Holton, at this point, is far and away ahead of Spencer and Jones. Holton may get a special teams spot (DHB). He played well as a receiver and on STs. Rogers could be trade bait as well.

hawaiiansteeler
08-10-2019, 10:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioiUVgZ_K-A

Mojouw
08-10-2019, 11:49 PM
Good players at QB, WR, OL, and DL are gonna have to get cut. Keeping all the guys that seem to have NFL level talent at those position groups would leave them too short at other spots.

hawaiiansteeler
08-10-2019, 11:57 PM
Good players at QB, WR, OL, and DL are gonna have to get cut. Keeping all the guys that seem to have NFL level talent at those position groups would leave them too short at other spots.

that's a good problem to have...

08-11-2019, 12:04 AM
that's a good problem to have...Why I think the Steelers are a better team this year and tons of depth.

hawaiiansteeler
08-11-2019, 12:13 AM
Why I think the Steelers are a better team this year and tons of depth.

not at safety...

Mojouw
08-11-2019, 12:16 AM
not at safety...

I'm not convinced one way or the other there. Kelly, Locke, Allen, and Askew have a few more weeks to answer that question.

Mojouw
08-11-2019, 12:17 AM
that's a good problem to have...

No doubt!

Craic
08-11-2019, 12:18 AM

Perhaps, but Washington also benefited from catching passes from his QB he's been playing with for several years. That connection showed up in the back-shoulder catch for a TD.

hawaiiansteeler
08-11-2019, 12:24 AM
I'm not convinced one way or the other there. Kelly, Locke, Allen, and Askew have a few more weeks to answer that question.

don't forget Dangerfield...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmHuDKNI23c

Mojouw
08-11-2019, 12:44 AM

I wish I could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

polamalubeast
08-11-2019, 06:13 AM
Perhaps, but Washington also benefited from catching passes from his QB he's been playing with for several years. That connection showed up in the back-shoulder catch for a TD.

Washington had also al least 2 big pass play with Dobbs too.

teegre
08-11-2019, 08:34 AM

Neither Sweed nor Plaxico played either... :noidea:

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-11-2019, 11:12 AM

True, although Dobbs to Washington accounted for 2 REC- 65 Yards, while Rudolph to Washington accounted for 2 REC - 19 yards and 1TD. Washington was one foot down from also catching a TD from Dobbs.

Washington seemed to be productive with either QB that was throwing to him, although one could suggest that if Dobbs leads him on the first reception, that play goes all the way to the end zone.

tube517
08-11-2019, 07:37 PM

You could be right that only 4 are currently safe. Holton was the name I couldn't remember before but he's definitely in this hunt too. I don't know how important a KO returner is anymore. Seems the NFL has adjusted for negating them mostly. If kicking to a decent returner kick it out the back. If kicking to a not so great returner kick just short of the EZ and force the return. Either way teams usually get pinned on KOs inside their own 25. This thinking puts Eli ahead of Switzer and Spencer in the return game plus Eli is the better WR overall. I see Holton and Jones as guys with better size for 50/50 balls than Switzer and Spencer. Although Switzer and Spencer have more short area quickness to get open faster. Should be a fun race to watch. For the record I see keeping 6 WRs again this season.Eli was terrible as a punt returner so I dont know if that puts him ahead of anyone in the return game.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Craic
08-11-2019, 07:44 PM
True, although Dobbs to Washington accounted for 2 REC- 65 Yards, while Rudolph to Washington accounted for 2 REC - 19 yards and 1TD. Washington was one foot down from also catching a TD from Dobbs.

Washington seemed to be productive with either QB that was throwing to him, although one could suggest that if Dobbs leads him on the first reception, that play goes all the way to the end zone.

Honestly, I agree. I was just thinking about what advantages he may have had. I'm hoping he carries it into the season. In fact, I remember when they were talking about Mason R. as a QB in the draft and I jumped on Youtube to check him out. What really stood out to me was this WR who climbed the ladder and reached behind him to catch a pass. Turns out, it was Washington. I was hoping we would draft him and happy we did. Just waiting for it to show up in regular season now.

polamalubeast
08-11-2019, 07:49 PM
Eli was terrible as a punt returner so I dont know if that puts him ahead of anyone in the return game.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I believe the days as returner for Eli Rogers are over since his fumble in Chicago in 2017.

I would be very surprised if Switzer is not our PR in 2019.

HollywoodSteel
08-11-2019, 09:37 PM

Locke is on my shit list. He tried to scoop a fumble when falling on it would have ended the game. If we had more reliable safety depth I would have cut him right there for a mental error like that. I don’t care if it’s preseason, there is NO EXCUSE for that shit.

I really hope he got so ripped to shreds for that decision that he never makes another mental error again.

hawaiiansteeler
08-12-2019, 03:14 PM
Silly in PHILLY: Call me silly...but the Steelers have some tough cuts at WR, right? u think they go w 5 or 6 wr’s- and who are they?

Ray Fittipaldo: JuJu (lock), Moncrief (lock), Diontae Johnson (lock), Washington (lock), Switzer (near lock)... No. 6 up for grabs if they keep six. Could be Eli Rogers. Could be Johnny Holton. Could be Tevin Jones. Could be Diontae Spencer.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2019/08/12/Ray-Fittipaldo-s-Steelers-chat-08-12-19/stories/201908120075

Rotorhead
08-12-2019, 03:25 PM
My money is on Holton at this time, it may change in a few weeks though. :clarifying edit: for the 6th spot

polamalubeast
08-12-2019, 06:56 PM
Gregg Rosenthal

On the upswing

Steelers receiver depth: The sudden passing of Steelers wide receivers coach Darryl Drake on Sunday is a tragic blow to the entire organization, but the work he did with this group of wideouts will live on. Rookie Diontae Johnson got the early publicity in training camp, but second-year pro James Washington is making a push now. Washington followed up a strong stretch of practices with a four-catch, 84-yard performance in the preseason opener that included two impressive plays down the field and a textbook back-shoulder touchdown. Those were the types of plays Washington often failed to convert as a rookie.

Whether Washington or free-agent pickup Donte Moncrief starts opposite JuJu Smith-Schuster is almost beside the point, because the Steelers will play them both plenty. The following two things can both be true: 1) The Steelers' receivers are not nearly as good without Antonio Brown. 2) The Steelers' receivers are plenty good enough, and the unit looks deeper than it did a year ago.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001040935/article/nfl-preseason-winners-and-losers-raiders-delightfully-chaotic?campaign=Twitter_atn

polamalubeast
08-12-2019, 08:10 PM

86WARD
08-13-2019, 06:00 AM
Its still Moncrief.

polamalubeast
08-13-2019, 06:07 AM
Its still Moncrief.

But I think it's going to be Washington, which is going to be on the field often when the steelers are going to have 3 WR on the field ... Last year and years before, the steelers had at least 3 WR on the field at least 65-70% of the time

Moncrief is our number 2, but Washington is going to be our number 3 if he continues

polamalubeast
08-13-2019, 10:15 AM

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-13-2019, 11:10 AM
But I think it's going to be Washington, which is going to be on the field often when the steelers are going to have 3 WR on the field ... Last year and years before, the steelers had at least 3 WR on the field at least 65-70% of the time

Moncrief is our number 2, but Washington is going to be our number 3 if he continues

Staying healthy is going to be a big factor as to who the 2,3,4 WR's are, I think. Moncrief played all 16 games last year, but missed a total of 11 games the prior 2 seasons. If speed or size is Moncrief's best ability...availability might be one of his weaker abilities. I'm enthused to see him play in B&G, hopefully soon.

hawaiiansteeler
08-13-2019, 09:44 PM
I think JuJu will be our starting flanker and Moncrief will start at split end. and when we go 3-wide, JuJu moves into the slot and Washington enters as the new flanker outside.

HollywoodSteel
08-13-2019, 11:00 PM
This team seems to love empty backfield even on early downs. It almost doesn’t matter who you call the #2 or the #3. I’m excited about our WR depth.

polamalubeast
08-14-2019, 04:02 PM

DesertSteel
08-14-2019, 04:16 PM
I'm going with Washington. 65 for 900 and 8 TDs.

polamalubeast
08-14-2019, 08:33 PM

polamalubeast
08-18-2019, 06:50 AM

teegre
08-18-2019, 10:23 AM
Washington is breaking free from the pack.

Johnson look freaking legit!!! On both of his TD receptions, he not only turned the DBs around, he was able to locate and catch the ball (with his hands). He’s NOT the #2... but, he absolutely should get a ton of targets.

polamalubeast
08-18-2019, 10:26 AM

Johnson look freaking legit!!! On both of his TD receptions, he not only turned the DBs around, he was able to locate and catch the ball (with his hands). He’s NOT the #2... but, he absolutely should get a ton of targets.

The OPI call on Johnson on his first TD was awful..Even after the replay,the call stay the same...Awful!

teegre
08-18-2019, 10:32 AM
The OPI call on Johnson on his first TD was awful..Even after the replay,the call stay the same...Awful!

The refs were caught between a rock and a hard place. On one hand was the “correct” call; on the other hand was making sure that Tomlin LOST yet another challenge. :lol:

Butch
08-18-2019, 10:39 AM
The refs were caught between a rock and a hard place. On one hand was the “correct” call; on the other hand was making sure that Tomlin LOST yet another challenge. :lol:

Not only is this a preview of what to expect from players...it's also a preview of the way the officials are going to fi...I mean call the games.

polamalubeast
08-18-2019, 10:46 AM

Tomlin will never win another Challenge in his life.I do not know why the refs hate Tomlin so much!

It is true that some of his challenges are dumb like last week against Tampa Bay but other times, Tomlin is just unlucky or the refs hate him for no reason.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-18-2019, 02:46 PM

I agree. Dionte Spencer also showed something in the punt return game and a nice run on the end around, but don't think that he will beat out Switzer/Rogers for that final spot on the roster.

08-18-2019, 04:05 PM
I agree. Dionte Spencer also showed something in the punt return game and a nice run on the end around, but don't think that he will beat out Switzer/Rogers for that final spot on the roster.Spencer has been impressive in the return game both weeks. Looks to be a legit returner and better then anything we had in awhile. Going to be interesting cuts in the next few weeks.

polamalubeast
08-18-2019, 04:51 PM
I agree. Dionte Spencer also showed something in the punt return game and a nice run on the end around, but don't think that he will beat out Switzer/Rogers for that final spot on the roster.

I would not be surprised if Eli Rogers is traded at the end of this month for a backup TE or something like that ...

08-18-2019, 05:19 PM
I would not be surprised if Eli Rogers is traded at the end of this month for a backup TE or something like that ... I think Spencer is worth keeping over Rogers for the return game alone. Switz and Rogers are basically the same player but edge goes to Switz cause he is faster and more shifty in my opinion.

Ps. Holton seemed to comeback down to earth this week.

DesertSteel
08-18-2019, 06:01 PM
Washington all the way (again).

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah what's the point of the PI review anyway if you can't correct something that obvious???

- - - Updated - - -

+100 on both of those observations!

teegre
08-19-2019, 07:59 AM
Tomlin is just unlucky or the refs hate him for no reason.

It’s akin to the 2008 Lions: it’s sort of funny to see the misery continue. :lol:

polamalubeast
08-19-2019, 09:38 AM

polamalubeast
08-20-2019, 06:47 AM
The 3rd WR of the steelers should see the field very often this year if the trend continues...Especially that the Steelers have no depth at the TE position.

polamalubeast
08-20-2019, 06:58 AM

teegre
08-20-2019, 07:38 AM
The 3rd WR of the steelers should see the field very often this year if the trend continues...Especially that the Steelers have no depth at the TE position.

Indeed. Our backup TE is actually the “three-WR set”.

Oh... and, 91%!?! :scared: It’s a good thing that the Rams paid Gurley so much money.

polamalubeast
08-20-2019, 07:43 AM
Indeed. Our backup TE is actually the “three-WR set”.

Oh... and, 91%!?! :scared: It’s a good thing that the Rams paid Gurley so much money.

Crash would be a happy man if the steelers would often use the lineup of 3 WR, 1TE and 1 RB as Sean McVay!

teegre
08-20-2019, 07:50 AM
Crash would be a happy man if the steelers would often use the lineup of 3 WR, 1TE and 1 RB as Sean McVay!

:applaudit:

Crash prefers the 10-WR set... where even the center is eligible to receive the ball.

polamalubeast
08-20-2019, 07:57 AM

Crash prefers the 10-WR set... where even the center is eligible to receive the ball.

Yeah, but to be honest, Crash said he did not like the 5 WR set ... He always wanted the steelers to use 3 WR, 1 TE and 1 RB.

I did not always agree with Crash but he was right when he said that he hated when Haley put an extra lineman on the field as TE, especially in first and 10 and second and 10, since the steelers were often in 3rd down and long after

The only time I would maybe put an extra lineman as TE in the field would be in the short yards situation and in the goal line.

hawaiiansteeler
08-21-2019, 03:10 PM

as long as his beloved Ben gets to throw every time Crash is happy.

I wish Crash were here to explain how the Steelers didn't make the playoffs last season throwing the ball as much as they did.

I jest, I don't wish Crash was here...

polamalubeast
08-21-2019, 03:23 PM
as long as his beloved Ben gets to throw every time Crash is happy.

I wish Crash were here to explain how the Steelers didn't make the playoffs last season throwing the ball as much as they did.

I jest, I don't wish Crash was here...

Crash would say that if the steelers would have used 3 WR on the field at 90% of the time like the Rams, the steelers would have been at least AFC champion last year!

hawaiiansteeler
08-21-2019, 04:34 PM
Crash would say that if the steelers would have used 3 WR on the field at 90% of the time like the Rams, the steelers would have been at least AFC champion last year!

yup, and the next thing you know you have an 189 page thread of Crash saying the same exact shit over and over and over again...

pczach
08-21-2019, 07:49 PM
yup, and the next thing you know you have an 189 page thread of Crash saying the same exact shit over and over and over again...

Beaverfest!

hawaiiansteeler
08-21-2019, 07:56 PM
Beaverfest!

https://pics.me.me/oo-rebellionfowned-fb-hairless-beaver-12431264.png

teegre
08-22-2019, 06:57 AM

TOPIC: “3-WR sets”
CRASH: 75% of the total posts, all posts about throwing the ball more.

TOPIC: “offensive line”

TOPIC: “Cam Sutton”

TOPIC: “Marvel Avengers”

NO TOPIC/NO THREAD/NO ONE IS TALKING:

pczach
08-22-2019, 04:33 PM

:rofl2::rofl2:

So on the money!!!

86WARD
08-22-2019, 04:45 PM

I think teegre May be crash...

teegre
08-23-2019, 06:46 AM
I think teegre May be crash...

Pfft, I’m obviously Ozzie New- -uh- - I’m someone new. :nervous:

polamalubeast
08-23-2019, 06:59 AM
We have to admit that Crash knew his football even if we did not always agree with him ... But the problem with him was that he was talking about Todd Haley in every thread evenif the thread had nothing to do with Haley !

hawaiiansteeler
08-24-2019, 01:16 AM
We have to admit that Crash knew his football even if we did not always agree with him ... But the problem with him was that he was talking about Todd Haley in every thread evenif the thread had nothing to do with Haley !

if you ever wanted to change the subject from Todd Haley just ask Crash how he felt about Art Rooney II. that was always worth about another 100 pages...

Six Rings
08-24-2019, 06:07 AM
Who #2 is could depend on Ben. If Rudolph was our #1 QB, I'd say the other starter is clearly Washington. I think Ben will like Johnson as the #2 a bit more and Washington as the down the field #3 WR

polamalubeast
08-24-2019, 09:53 AM
James Washington: A very good camp for him. And yes, we were saying the same things a year ago. But by all accounts, he’s in better shape, conditoning, and much improved above the neck to instill the confidence and create the consistency he lacked during that miserable rookie year. Washington balled out in his first two preseason games, winning vertically and showing the ability to attack and high point the football. Fully confident he’ll be the #3 receiver in 11 personnel, allowing JuJu kick to the slot. His numbers will probably be inconsistent, he’s primarily a deep threat, but there’s every reason to expect a jump Year One to Year Two.

Camp Grade: A-

for the other WR...

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/08/2019-steelers-training-camp-recap-wide-receivers/