PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Hoping Washington Can Make Big Sophomore Jump Like Previous Receivers

polamalubeast
05-11-2019, 02:37 PM

DesertSteel
05-11-2019, 02:40 PM
Justin Brown???

polamalubeast
05-11-2019, 02:49 PM
Justin Brown???

He was our 3rd WR after Brown and Wheaton in the first 6 games in 2014, despite the steelers had Lance Moore and a rookie like Martavis Bryant in their roster even if it was obvious he had no potential

I think he was a 6 round draft pick in 2013.

DesertSteel
05-11-2019, 03:46 PM
I have no recall of that guy lol.

polamalubeast
05-11-2019, 03:55 PM
I had forgotten Justin Brown before you ask me, but everyone in this forum was very frustrated he had so many snap on offense during the first 6 weeks in 2014

He was so bad that it's like we were 10 vs 11 when Brown was on the field.It was another case that Tomlin was not playing his best players on the roster

Six Rings
05-11-2019, 07:30 PM
While all rookies have a lot to learn, Washington didn't blow by any NFL DB. This isn't the Big 12. I think the guy is a 2nd round disappointment in the making. Why? He was not a route runner type, showed shaky hands and displayed average at best speed. His best stuff in college was being a deep receiver. He isn't that in the NFL.

Craic
05-11-2019, 07:35 PM
Senator, I have no recall of that guy lol.
FIFY (Isn't that how the sentence is supposed to go?)

:chuckle:

86WARD
05-12-2019, 09:44 PM
Would be super nice if he did put up Wallace, Brown, Bryant type numbers in year two...and then Moncrief puts up his usual 45-60 catches for 500-600 and 4 TDS.

munchy
05-12-2019, 09:47 PM
i thought it was wasted pick last year. it looks like i was right and the front office must feel the same seeing they drafted johnson

hawaiiansteeler
05-12-2019, 10:00 PM
i thought it was wasted pick last year.

I'm shocked you thought that :rolleyes:

munchy
05-12-2019, 10:03 PM
I'm shocked you thought that :rolleyes:

its okay to have an opinion that isnt exactly what tomlin, rooney and colbert tell you to have

hawaiiansteeler
05-12-2019, 10:06 PM
its okay to have an opinion that isnt exactly what tomlin, rooney and colbert tell you to have

it's okay to be supportive of your favorite team and its players also.

out of 176 posts so far, you are 0-176 in ever posting something positive and your schtick has already gotten old.

Butch
05-12-2019, 11:12 PM
i thought it was wasted pick last year. it looks like i was right and the front office must feel the same seeing they drafted johnson

:no:

UMMM yeah ok, guess you don't keep up with the news very well, but we did lose a receiver at the end of the season last year. :noidea:

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-13-2019, 09:53 AM
:no:

UMMM yeah ok, guess you don't keep up with the news very well, but we did lose a receiver at the end of the season last year. :noidea:

I thought I read something about that. I heard he was pretty good too, so maybe that is why they drafted a WR with their 2nd pick. :noidea:

Oh well, I guess they are not writing off their 2nd round pick from 2018 after one season.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-13-2019, 11:29 AM
Seriously, what is it that makes some fans want to write off Washington before his 2nd training camp? Is it his stats from rookie year? That he was bouncing from 4-6 on the WR depth chart as a rookie?

Essentially he was a rookie with deep speed, that isnt quick off the line, but rather buildup speed. He has good hands and high points the football well. He wasnt overly strong at running the route tree from 1-6 in college, so was gonna need work on that as a rookie. Throw in what appeared to be some midseason confidence issues and getting called out in the media by the QB and it equated to rookie that is a work in progress as he transitions to the NFL game.

I think a good offseason by him and another preseason of working against NFL corners and he is gonna make big strides. The reality is that his upside is an NFL #2 WR, so there is no reason to think he was drafted in the 2nd round to be the next Julio Jones, but rather maybe the next Alvin Harper, Peerless Price or Charles Johnson. We can hope he is more Eric Moulds, but I don't think he is that kind of route runner or size.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
05-13-2019, 12:03 PM
Seriously, what is it that makes some fans want to write off Washington before his 2nd training camp? Is it his stats from rookie year? That he was bouncing from 4-6 on the WR depth chart as a rookie?

Essentially he was a rookie with deep speed, that isnt quick off the line, but rather buildup speed. He has good hands and high points the football well. He wasnt overly strong at running the route tree from 1-6 in college, so was gonna need work on that as a rookie. Throw in what appeared to be some midseason confidence issues and getting called out in the media by the QB and it equated to rookie that is a work in progress as he transitions to the NFL game.

I think a good offseason by him and another preseason of working against NFL corners and he is gonna make big strides. The reality is that his upside is an NFL #2 WR, so there is no reason to think he was drafted in the 2nd round to be the next Julio Jones, but rather maybe the next Alvin Harper, Peerless Price or Charles Johnson. We can hope he is more Eric Moulds, but I don't think he is that kind of route runner or size. You just named a bunch of sh!tty fantasy football WR'S from the past. A few you missed Antonio Bryant, Quincy Morgan and etc.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-13-2019, 12:31 PM
You just named a bunch of sh!tty fantasy football WR'S from the past. A few you missed Antonio Bryant, Quincy Morgan and etc.

You know what is shitty? Fantasy football. The real game is played on turf and it measures true ballers, not just how many points they got Lester from Accounting on the weekend. :nerd:

All those guys were productive #2 WR's in the NFL. Moulds eventually became a #1 guy in Buffalo and all of them had 1,000 yard seasons in their careers, except for Harper, who just had some great seasons opposite Mike Irvin and some outstanding Super Bowl plays.

Point is, that all the Steelers need is for somebody like Washington to be the #2 guy on the outside in the WR group. Most here judge his rookie season by whether or not he had 900 yards as a rookie, while Ben was locking in on JuJu and AB. I think he can progress to being a #2 WR this season, but if not, then Moncrief is on the roster as insurance.

Shoes
05-13-2019, 01:38 PM
I think Washington is going to work out just fine.

munchy
05-13-2019, 01:45 PM
You know what is shitty? Fantasy football. The real game is played on turf and it measures true ballers, not just how many points they got Lester from Accounting on the weekend. :nerd:

All those guys were productive #2 WR's in the NFL. Moulds eventually became a #1 guy in Buffalo and all of them had 1,000 yard seasons in their careers, except for Harper, who just had some great seasons opposite Mike Irvin and some outstanding Super Bowl plays.

Point is, that all the Steelers need is for somebody like Washington to be the #2 guy on the outside in the WR group. Most here judge his rookie season by whether or not he had 900 yards as a rookie, while Ben was locking in on JuJu and AB. I think he can progress to being a #2 WR this season, but if not, then Moncrief is on the roster as insurance.

at least they had a year to evaluate
most fans on sites give the steelers an A+, A or B+ on every draft before they even step on the field
i would hope he steps up and validates his draft position. nobody knows if he can/will.
i too think the moncrief signing will be more important than most fans think