PDA

View Full Version : Was Bush worth the trade up?

Six Rings
05-11-2019, 10:01 AM
I wold compare Bush to Lawerence Timmons. He's a bit faster and better in coverage, not quite as hard-hitting or as strong as a tackler vs the run. Better on the Blitz. Likely not as durable.

The question is was he worth giving up 2nd and a 3rd pick?

We could have drafted Montez Sweat, who fell due to a misdiagnosed medical condition. Sweat was much better in college than Dupree was and ripped it up during the senior bowl practice week. A BPA pick and one that would save us 10 million a year down the road, as that's what it will take to give Dupree a long term deal.

In round two we could have used the 2nd pick on a receiver like D.K Metcalf, Campbell, AJ Brown, OR one of the top CB's( Williams, or Murphy ) , and picked up our ILB in round three in Pratt, and doubled down at ILB in round four or five with Burr-Kirven.

And of coruse, we'd have the last non-compensatory pick in round three to use in 2020 :)

polamalubeast
05-11-2019, 10:46 AM
Yes....I think Bush will become a special player and a great leader on this defense.

- - - Updated - - -

st33lersguy
05-11-2019, 11:17 AM
We'll won't know now, but his leadership and coverage skills at LB were needed and it was a risk worth taking

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-11-2019, 02:02 PM
Is it too late to change the pick? I guess it is, so I am just gonna be a fan and wish all the rookies in B&G are successful.

Butch
05-11-2019, 02:26 PM
We'll won't know now, but his leadership and coverage skills at LB were needed and it was a risk worth taking
This is how I feel. In all the draft is a crap shoot, so you shoot for what you know about a guy at the time and hope that your gut was right. Let's see how it plays out years from now

DesertSteel
05-11-2019, 02:28 PM
I wold compare Bush to Lawerence Timmons.
You mean just for the heck of it??

Hawkman
05-11-2019, 04:42 PM
I wold compare Bush to Lawerence Timmons. He's a bit faster and better in coverage, not quite as hard-hitting or as strong as a tackler vs the run. Better on the Blitz. Likely not as durable.

The question is was he worth giving up 2nd and a 3rd pick?

We could have drafted Montez Sweat, who fell due to a misdiagnosed medical condition. Sweat was much better in college than Dupree was and ripped it up during the senior bowl practice week. A BPA pick and one that would save us 10 million a year down the road, as that's what it will take to give Dupree a long term deal.

In round two we could have used the 2nd pick on a receiver like D.K Metcalf, Campbell, AJ Brown, OR one of the top CB's( Williams, or Murphy ) , and picked up our ILB in round three in Pratt, and doubled down at ILB in round four or five with Burr-Kirven.

And of coruse, we'd have the last non-compensatory pick in round three to use in 2020 :)

Shoulda, coulda, woulda........what difference. The deal is done. Let’s give the powers that be in the Steelers organization the benefit of the doubt for now, that they know a little more than we do.

munchy
05-11-2019, 05:16 PM
i say no. too many quality players could have been had with all those picks.
hopefully he proves me wrong

Six Rings
05-11-2019, 07:23 PM

That's how I see it. By no means do I think Bush will be a disappointment. I don't see him as Ryan Shazier either. I'm not sold the Sweat won't be a better NFL player over Bush alone, and then there's the 2nd and 3rd round picks we gave up to get him.

pczach
05-11-2019, 08:23 PM
Is it too late to change the pick? I guess it is, so I am just gonna be a fan and wish all the rookies in B&G are successful.

Where's the fun in that? :chuckle:

pepsyman1
05-11-2019, 11:00 PM
At some point you have to go after the player you think will make an impact on your team. We gave up a 2nd and a 3rd. There's no guarantees that those pics would have turned into someone impactful either. We had the pics to use, we haven't been known for being real aggressive when it comes to the draft. I think it was time. Is it a gamble? Sure it is but lots of people on this board will complain year in year out that we are never aggressive and go after higher picks in the draft. This year there was someone that appears to not only be a strong pic (if we didn't get him at 10 there's no way he would have lasted to where we were at 20) but he was one of the top 2 rated guys at the position we need to make an impact with. Fingers crossed but my opinion is that it was the right move. We can 2nd guess the choices every year but at some point you gotta commit to getting something accomplished.

Hawkman
05-12-2019, 10:02 AM
At some point you have to go after the player you think will make an impact on your team. We gave up a 2nd and a 3rd. There's no guarantees that those pics would have turned into someone impactful either. We had the pics to use, we haven't been known for being real aggressive when it comes to the draft. I think it was time. Is it a gamble? Sure it is but lots of people on this board will complain year in year out that we are never aggressive and go after higher picks in the draft. This year there was someone that appears to not only be a strong pic (if we didn't get him at 10 there's no way he would have lasted to where we were at 20) but he was one of the top 2 rated guys at the position we need to make an impact with. Fingers crossed but my opinion is that it was the right move. We can 2nd guess the choices every year but at some point you gotta commit to getting something accomplished.

Gee, look out. Another sound voice of reason.

Born2Steel
05-12-2019, 01:58 PM
They wanted Devin Bush. The last possible pick he was going to be available was pick 10. They moved up and got the guy they wanted. Fantastic move.

Mojouw
05-12-2019, 02:05 PM

Gee, look out. Another sound voice of reason.

They wanted Devin Bush. The last possible pick he was going to be available was pick 10. They moved up and got the guy they wanted. Fantastic move.

Kinda hard to argue with this much logic and reason.

munchy
05-12-2019, 09:55 PM

what if he busts?

hawaiiansteeler
05-12-2019, 09:57 PM
what if he busts?

what if you actually ever posted something positive?

munchy
05-12-2019, 10:05 PM
what if you actually ever posted something positive?

im positive your undies are in a bunch.................how was that?

hawaiiansteeler
05-12-2019, 10:07 PM

not possible, I don't wear undies. once again you're wrong as usual...

Mojouw
05-12-2019, 10:17 PM
not possible, I don't wear undies. once again you're wrong as usual...

This post is a thing of beauty.

Butch
05-12-2019, 11:27 PM
what if he busts?

To slightly misquote Donald Sutherland: "Always with the negative vibes Munchy always with the negative vibes. Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?"

Craic
05-13-2019, 01:40 AM
To the OP,

If we traded a 2nd and 3rd pick to move up in the first round and get a faster, better coverage Lawrence Timmons for the next ten years, then I'd make that trade every day and twice on Sunday. Timmons is probably one of the most underrated players on the Steelers in the Tomlin era. The second he got let go, our run defense doubled down in bad and our coverage got worse as well. Timmons, especially in his early years was one of those LBs you could put on a number 3 receiver with over the top help. Strange that he only ran a 4.67-40 because on game day he was much faster than that it seemed.

Hawkman
05-13-2019, 07:49 AM

Seriously, why do you post here?

munchy
05-13-2019, 08:57 AM
Seriously, why do you post here?

to voice my feelings and opinions. just like everyone else

Mojouw
05-13-2019, 09:44 AM
To slightly misquote Donald Sutherland: "Always with the negative vibes Munchy always with the negative vibes. Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?"

Oddball!!! Just a great and weird movie all the way around!

https://i.imgflip.com/1a0hkd.jpg

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-13-2019, 11:15 AM

Summation...awesome Summation!

Hawkman
05-13-2019, 05:37 PM
Oddball!!! Just a great and weird movie all the way around!

https://i.imgflip.com/1a0hkd.jpg

“Kelly’s Heroes” one of my favorites. Great cast.

Fire Goodell
05-13-2019, 06:39 PM
Seriously what kind of question is this? There's only one answer, we don't know until we see this guy play. And he's also a rookie so we might not know the answer until 2-4 years from now.

pepsyman1
05-15-2019, 03:06 AM
what if he busts?

What if they don't pick him and they don't have an impact inside linebacker? Simple, they don't get any better. Period. You can't get the ball in the basket if you never take a shot.

Craic
05-15-2019, 04:57 AM
to voice my feelings and opinions. just like everyone else honestly, that explains a lot. Especially if you think that's why everyone else posts here as well. I can't speak for others, but I post here because I enjoy discussing things about my favorite team. Isn't it a little selfish to post on a board only because you want to voice your opinions?

polamalubeast
05-15-2019, 06:11 AM

Bush would have been available in the 7th round!

Mojouw
05-15-2019, 10:53 AM
I guess we could explore or discuss what the alternative 2019 no trade draft would or could have looked like. Most folks seem to first want to pivot towards an edge rusher at #1.20. But looking at the list of pre-draft visits, the Steelers didn't bring any of the top edge rushers in for a look. So, unless this was the year they planned on breaking with precedent, they wouldn't have selected a guy like Sweat. Based on their visit list it would have been Savage or Murphy.

Moving to the second round, I figure that the pick would have been between pass rusher/wide receiver/BPA. I think they go with the same guy, Diontae Johnson, just a few dozen picks earlier. AJ Brown would have been gone by this pick and since they took Johnson over Hakeem Butler and Miles Boykin in the actual draft, I think this was "their guy" no matter what at the position.

The third round is another place we see a small shift. The first third round pick now goes to LB. I figure they get Germaine Pratt. Then they just repeat the Layne pick if they went Savage in Round 1. If they took Murphy in Round 1, then this pick is likely from a cluster of Gardner-Johnson/Winovich/Jaylon Ferguson.

Say the rest of the draft just plays out as is.

So you have Bush/Johnson/Layne as it is versus (I'm just gonna go with it) Murphy/Johnson/Pratt/Ferguson.

In my opinion, the talent acquired in both scenarios is at best a push. Most likely the gap between Bush and Pratt is big enough that it covers the gap between Murphy and Layne as well as making up for the lack of Ferguson.

Long story short, did the trade-up really take that much talent off the Steeler's roster? If they don't trade anymore picks from the 2020 draft they should still have 7 picks due to the comp for Bell. Were 8 draft picks making the 2020 roster? I certainly hope not.

DesertSteel
05-15-2019, 10:55 AM
What if Layne ends up being better than Murphy? That's not a real stretch.

Mojouw
05-15-2019, 11:27 AM
What if Layne ends up being better than Murphy? That's not a real stretch.

Honestly, I agree with that. But I was trying to work through the biggest gaps in talent that a likely set of Colbert picks from standing pat would have been. In other words, let's take the best case projection for Murphy and the worst case projection for Layne.

I think that the best case projection for Devin Bush is just so much better than anyone else (including White) in this draft at the absolute far and away not even close position of need for the Steelers that I would have been okay (not happy) with giving up more to trade up.

Fire Goodell
05-15-2019, 12:27 PM

They could have traded out of the first round and got Nick Bosa in rd. 3... REACH! Who cares if someone picked him before us, if we did it again somehow in some alternate reality, he would have fell!

Six Rings
05-15-2019, 08:09 PM
A Brown screwed us. The Steelers were set to trade Brown to Buffalo and swap 1st round picks until Brown became vocal, and Buffalo backed out. The cost the Steelers, a 2nd and 3rd round pick.

I hear the owners of Buffalo and Pittsburgh have been close for years, especially when they had that very old man ( forget his name ) as the owner.

Screw you AB. While I don't wish you injury, I hope you get jacked up while taunting. You won't be as good without Ben, that much I'm sure of

hawaiiansteeler
05-15-2019, 09:07 PM
A Brown screwed us. The Steelers were set to trade Brown to Buffalo and swap 1st round picks until Brown became vocal, and Buffalo backed out. The cost the Steelers, a 2nd and 3rd round pick.

that's not entirely accurate, we also received a better 3rd round pick in addition to a high 5th round pick from Oakland.

teegre
05-15-2019, 09:25 PM
honestly, that explains a lot. Especially if you think that's why everyone else posts here as well. I can't speak for others, but I post here because I enjoy discussing things about my favorite team. Isn't it a little selfish to post on a board only because you want to voice your opinions?

:applaudit:

- - - Updated - - -

:toofunny:

chezman53
05-17-2019, 09:25 PM
way over paid. Good but not great player.

Dwinsgames
05-17-2019, 09:38 PM
would I have traded up for Bush .... NO ..... does it matter ? NO ........

all that said while I personally feel it was a reach the team did not ......

who is right ? only time will tell ........

GoSlash27
05-18-2019, 11:48 AM
Don't we have to see the guy play *before* we can answer this question?

DesertSteel
05-18-2019, 03:01 PM
Don't we have to see the guy play *before* we can answer this question?
The Steelers had to answer the question before he played. In fairness, the OP is simply asking the same question, at the same time.

GoSlash27
05-18-2019, 03:59 PM
The Steelers had to answer the question before he played. In fairness, the OP is simply asking the same question, at the same time.

If that's the case, I can only answer the same way the Steelers did: "I hope so". :)

hawaiiansteeler
05-21-2019, 02:44 PM
Devin Bush Opens OTAs Running With 1st Team

By Alex Kozora
Posted on May 21, 2019

The Pittsburgh Steelers aren’t keeping the training wheels on Devin Bush. Opening OTAs for the first time of the season, Bush reportedly ran with the starters for “most of the day,” according to this tweet/report from the Post-Gazette’s Sarah K. Spencer.

Of course, this will bring up shades of Ryan Shazier, who was running with the 1st team during the spring of his rookie season. He ended up starting the first five games of 2014 before missing a month with an injury.

Being a starter and ideally, a three-down player, will require Bush to be the signal caller of the defense. The man who wears the green dot on the back of his helmet, gets the playcall from the sideline, and aligns the front while adjusting to any audibles and motions the offense responds with. As Spencer’s tweet notes, Vince Williams seems to be taking Bush under his wing. Williams served as the team’s signal caller last season, the team opting to play him even on 3rd and long. After beating the Patriots, Mike Tomlin noted how important his communication was, even if it meant sacrificing a bit of athleticism.

to read rest of article:

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/devin-bush-opens-otas-running-with-1st-team/

tube517
05-21-2019, 03:58 PM
Since OTAs have started, shall we throw the "bust" label around or does that happen in the 1st play of preseason??? :chuckle: