PDA

View Full Version : Steelers, rookie running back Benny Snell are perfect marriage

stillers4me
05-05-2019, 08:46 AM
Seven months later, Eddie Gran still regrets not giving the ball to Benny Snell.

With an SEC game on the line last October, Kentucky faced a third-and-2 in overtime at the Texas A&M 17. Everyone expected the ball would end up in the belly of Snell, the Wildcats’ bruising running back who was en route to a third consecutive 1,000-yard season. Everyone, that is, but Gran, Kentucky’s offensive coordinator.

“Sometimes you try to out trick yourself as a coach,” Gran said. “You have to give it to your best player.”

Gran called a pass play, and the quarterback was sacked. Kentucky missed a field goal and lost on the next possession, 20-14........

Read more @ https://triblive.com/sports/steelers-rookie-running-back-benny-snell-are-perfect-marriage/

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
05-05-2019, 06:09 PM
Gran sounds like a perfect candidate for a OC job with either the Seahawks or Falcons.

Edman
05-05-2019, 07:07 PM
Gran sounds like a perfect candidate for a OC job with either the Seahawks or Falcons.

Running the football is but boring and unimaginative, but practical.

Passing the football gets a lot of highlight reels makes the coach look like an offensive genius. Too many OC's fall into that ego trap.

DesertSteel
05-05-2019, 08:29 PM
4.6 and change will be plenty fast enough for Snell to be a good back in the league. Lots of top shelf RBs posted 40’s in the 4.6’s. I like our 3 backs starting with Conner.

st33lersguy
05-05-2019, 10:03 PM
Depends on if they actually use him or not. We all know this team uses more than one RB at a time as often as the appearance of Halley's Comet.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-05-2019, 10:10 PM
4.6 and change will be plenty fast enough for Snell to be a good back in the league. Lots of top shelf RBs posted 40’s in the 4.6’s. I like our 3 backs starting with Conner.

He had 3 consecutive seasons with over 1000 yds rushing in the SEC. So somewhat a record of consistency. While Snell ran a 4.66 at the combine, Kareem Hunt ran a 4.62 and Jordan Howard ran a 4.59 2 years ago. Snell doesn't have break away speed, but he doesn't seem to have the quick burst thru the hole that the others have. I still think he is a good compliment to Conner.

Bluecoat96
05-05-2019, 10:17 PM
Conner also ran around a 4.6. I am very happy with this pick. Quality depth in case or when Conner gets dinged up. Much better than Mr. Fumbles aka Ridley.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Mojouw
05-05-2019, 10:30 PM
Draft is about the cheapest place to get a RB with a record of success.

Interesting that they have 3 of the same guy.

They usually like diversity across a position group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-05-2019, 10:39 PM

I don't see them as all the same guy. Conner has shown he can run hard between the tackles and has enough burst to get to the edges and break off runs of 20 + yards. Samuels is more of a receiver than a runner and somebody that is more of a natural 3rd down back(I thought his skillset was more like former NFL player Ronnie Harmon). Snell is more of a 2 down, between the tackles runner that isn't going to see the field in passing downs.

I think the Steelers have diversity in the 3 backs they have.

Mojouw
05-05-2019, 11:01 PM
I don't see them as all the same guy. Conner has shown he can run hard between the tackles and has enough burst to get to the edges and break off runs of 20 + yards. Samuels is more of a receiver than a runner and somebody that is more of a natural 3rd down back(I thought his skillset was more like former NFL player Ronnie Harmon). Snell is more of a 2 down, between the tackles runner that isn't going to see the field in passing downs.

I think the Steelers have diversity in the 3 backs they have.

Entirely possible. But their athletic profiles read the same to me. Especially if Snell and Samuels are developed on the pattern of Bell and Conner.

05-05-2019, 11:28 PM
Running the football is but boring and unimaginative, but practical.

Passing the football gets a lot of highlight reels makes the coach look like an offensive genius. Too many OC's fall into that ego trap. Right and Noll knew not to abandon the run until the other team stop it! One of the few times he did was in the SB against the Rams and knew they had to pass to win. Why he was such a good coach and BB is the same way! They don't let their ego get in front of them and just want to win.

05-05-2019, 11:37 PM

I think the Steelers have diversity in the 3 backs they have. Yep agree good post and neither are the same but what a great collection of the 3! Best rb depth in years!

DesertSteel
05-06-2019, 09:57 AM

Maybe we can get Dri Archer to come back!

Mojouw
05-06-2019, 11:20 AM
Maybe we can get Dri Archer to come back!

Maybe. But he is an example of the several different types of RBs that they have previously tried to roster. While it likely is meaningless, I think it is interesting that they have shifted their RB depth spots all towards the same size, speed, and body type profile.

Perhaps they are attempting to not really have "back-ups" but "starters in waiting" that can all play the same style w/in the offense?

Fire Goodell
05-06-2019, 01:50 PM
Snell is gonna be the short yardage / TD machine who pretty much pisses off anybody who picks up Conner in FF. I see them using a 2-back style like they did with Willie Parker and the Bus. Throw in some Mewelde Moore (Samuels) on 3rd down.

Sure, Snell doesn't look fast, but he looks like he's tough to bring down and is built like a truck. The type of player who most players don't want anything to do with tackling.

05-06-2019, 06:15 PM
Snell is gonna be the short yardage / TD machine who pretty much pisses off anybody who picks up Conner in FF. I see them using a 2-back style like they did with Willie Parker and the Bus. Throw in some Mewelde Moore (Samuels) on 3rd down.

Sure, Snell doesn't look fast, but he looks like he's tough to bring down and is built like a truck. The type of player who most players don't want anything to do with tackling. I don't play fantasy football anymore but you are right and Snell is going to piss off a lot of Conner owners. PS they should realize that before they draft Conner this year.

Hawkman
05-07-2019, 03:53 AM
“The belly of Snell”? That’s some writing right there.:wink02:

86WARD
05-07-2019, 06:02 PM
I don't play fantasy football anymore but you are right and Snell is going to piss off a lot of Conner owners. PS they should realize that before they draft Conner this year.

Not really. Conner will get his due and if the owner is smart, Snell will be on his team as well as the handcuff.

polamalubeast
05-11-2019, 11:41 AM

polamalubeast
05-12-2019, 06:43 PM