PDA

View Full Version : Former NFL CB Foxworth Thinks Colbert Is An Unbright, Roethlisberger-Cult-Leading Nerd

polamalubeast
05-03-2019, 06:36 PM
During his recent interview with Mike Florio on Pro Football Talk Live, Pittsburgh Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert was asked a seemingly innocent question about the organization recently getting quarterback Ben Roethlisberger signed to a two-year contract extension. In summation, Colbert was asked if the thinking was mutual that after three more years that Roethlisberger will retire and walk off into the sunset. Colbert answered that question as he should have.

“I know he doesn’t have an expiration date,” Colbert said. “We just felt that that was a foreseeable future that we were able to do and he was agreeable to. But I’m sure he doesn’t have an expiration date. I know that he’s still very competitive. He still wants to do this and a high level and he doesn’t need money, he doesn’t need Hall of Fame credentials, in my opinion. He’s already achieved both of those. What he wants is more Super Bowls and he wants to continue to try to win and we’re going to support that and that was a big part of why we were willing to do what we did. And now it’s our job to, again, help him help us try to get there.”

What Colbert obviously meant when he said that he knows that Roethlisberger doesn’t currently have an expiration date relates to the quarterback probably not yet saying that he’ll definitely be ready to retire after the contract he just signed, which runs through the 2021 season, expires. The two sides obviously didn’t want to commit to each other past three years and considering that Roethlisberger will be turning 40 just ahead of the 2022 new league year getting underway, the length of the extension agreed upon, along with Colbert’s recent comments, are more than understandable.

Understandable, however, to most everyone except for former NFL cornerback Domonique Foxworth, who is now an analysts on ESPN and a senior writer for ‘The Undefeated.’ On Friday during a segment on ‘Get Up!’, Foxworth went off on Colbert and the recent comments he made about Roethlisberger to Florio.

“First of all, obviously he has an expiration date,” Foxworth said. “Even Ben Roethlisberger knows he has an expiration date because he’s talked about it ad nauseam. At the end of many seasons he talks about how he feels like he may be coming up on that expiration date. It’s also stupid because Kevin Colbert, your job is to anticipate the expiration date and prepare for the expiration date. So, either you’re lying to us or you’re not very bright.”

read more

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/former-nfl-cb-foxworth-thinks-colbert-is-an-unbright-roethlisberger-cult-leading-nerd/

Foxworth does not know that Colbert took 2 QB in the draft in the last 3 years ....

HollywoodSteel
05-03-2019, 06:49 PM
How else can Domonique Foxworth get anyone to care about anything he says unless it’s “controversial.” The guy has absolutely nothing to contribute to any meaningful discussion. So he’s either being inflammatory for practical reasons or he believes what he’s saying, in which case he isn’t very bright himself.

I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he’s just trying to be relevant without really contributing something he actually believes to be true.

How is Colbert not prepared for Ben’s retirement? What does he suggest Colbert should be doing or saying differently, and why?

This is just silliness.

smokin3000gt
05-03-2019, 07:16 PM
talk about over analyzing just to hear yourself speak .. what else is KC supposed to say? Of course he knows Ben isn't going to play forever and of course he's preparing for his departure.. it's not like this is his first year running an organization.

pczach
05-03-2019, 07:42 PM
I won't be clicking on that hot-take link. It's the only thing he is really trying to accomplish with his comments.

HollywoodSteel
05-03-2019, 07:45 PM
I won't be clicking on that hot-take link. It's the only thing he is really trying to accomplish with his comments.

Yup

hawaiiansteeler
05-03-2019, 07:57 PM
hey, if Domonique Foxworth said it then it must be true! :jerkit:

Iron Steeler
05-03-2019, 11:04 PM
Who?

Bluecoat96
05-04-2019, 07:46 AM
Hey he used to play for the Ravens, so there's that bias right there. He's rumored to be dating Jamison Hensley...just kidding...kind of.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

polamalubeast
05-04-2019, 07:51 AM
He was a Broncos when the Steelers beat the Broncos in Denver in the 2005 AFC title game....

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200601220den.htm

Butch
05-04-2019, 08:04 AM
He was a Broncos when the Steelers beat the Broncos in Denver in the 2005 AFC title game....

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200601220den.htm

Oh yeah...

Who???

st33lersguy
05-04-2019, 09:38 AM
Apparently all you have to do to get airtime anymore is criticize the Steelers.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-04-2019, 10:52 AM
I saw the interview. Foxworth isnt saying anything that isnt true. As much as Foxworth is a member of the media, Kevin Colbert is not and should be trying to stay away from microphones as much as possible, because its a 50-50 chance he says something dumb.

tube517
05-04-2019, 11:57 AM
Is it September yet?

HollywoodSteel
05-06-2019, 10:31 PM
I saw the interview. Foxworth isnt saying anything that isnt true. As much as Foxworth is a member of the media, Kevin Colbert is not and should be trying to stay away from microphones as much as possible, because its a 50-50 chance he says something dumb.

Who in their right mind would interpret Colbert’s words to mean that Ben is literally immortal?

He was just saying that he doesn’t have an official, stamped, known expiration date like a carton of milk or something. He’s saying not to interpret the contract extension to be some form of official date that marks Ben’s definitive retirement date.

Any mammal who can read English words can figure that out.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-06-2019, 10:45 PM
Who in their right mind would interpret Colbert’s words to mean that Ben is literally immortal?

He was just saying that he doesn’t have an official, stamped, known expiration date like a carton of milk or something. He’s saying not to interpret the contract extension to be some form of official date that marks Ben’s definitive retirement date.

Any mammal who can read English words can figure that out.

Maybe after the draft he has some down time to go and gush about Ben in the media like 10 year old girls talk about Justin Bieber, but IMO he should avoid the continued narrative that there is Ben on the team and 52 kids that he has to watch over. I'm actually now really warming to how Bill Belichek goes about dealing with the media.

Tough to expect Steeler players to avoid controversy in the media or social media, when your GM is giving sound bites that continually get questionable headlines. I'd rather Colbert just say "we're moving onto mini-camp" as his media response going forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h8lpGoDWCA

Butch
05-07-2019, 03:32 AM
Maybe after the draft he has some down time to go and gush about Ben in the media like 10 year old girls talk about Justin Bieber, but IMO he should avoid the continued narrative that there is Ben on the team and 52 kids that he has to watch over. I'm actually now really warming to how Bill Belichek goes about dealing with the media.

Tough to expect Steeler players to avoid controversy in the media or social media, when your GM is giving sound bites that continually get questionable headlines. I'd rather Colbert just say "we're moving onto mini-camp" as his media response going forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h8lpGoDWCA

Yes yes the partiots way. They never say the wrong thing, never do anything wrong you surely picked a winner there. You can dump on Ben and now Colbert all you desire but they didn't have to cheat to get where they got. They didn't have an owner who is buddy buddy with the commissioner, or refs who come up to Ben and pat him on the butt when the Steelers win a game. Go to Hell broke up our ownership over ties to legalized gambling, but turns a blind eye to what kraft and jones do, and allows the raiders to move to vegas no matter how shady that move will be. The patriots are the best you can come up with...Bravo!!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-07-2019, 09:26 AM
Yes yes the partiots way. They never say the wrong thing, never do anything wrong you surely picked a winner there. You can dump on Ben and now Colbert all you desire but they didn't have to cheat to get where they got. They didn't have an owner who is buddy buddy with the commissioner, or refs who come up to Ben and pat him on the butt when the Steelers win a game. Go to Hell broke up our ownership over ties to legalized gambling, but turns a blind eye to what kraft and jones do, and allows the raiders to move to vegas no matter how shady that move will be. The patriots are the best you can come up with...Bravo!!!

Did I make any reference to spygate? Did I "dump on Ben and Colbert" and infer a cheating reference? I don't really see where I posted that.

I am trying to think of how many other NFL GM's, in the past 6 months, have said something in the media that was quote worthy or seemed biased towards one player and seemingly devaluing a large number of players on the team. I really cant. The only guy I can think of is some Dave Gettlemen quips that make him sound like an idiot.

I think Colbert should not be trying to say things in the news media that put him in the Gettleman class of GM's.

Butch
05-07-2019, 08:08 PM
Did I make any reference to spygate? Did I "dump on Ben and Colbert" and infer a cheating reference? I don't really see where I posted that.

I am trying to think of how many other NFL GM's, in the past 6 months, have said something in the media that was quote worthy or seemed biased towards one player and seemingly devaluing a large number of players on the team. I really cant. The only guy I can think of is some Dave Gettlemen quips that make him sound like an idiot.

I think Colbert should not be trying to say things in the news media that put him in the Gettleman class of GM's.

In reference to spygate and cheating you didn't infer any of that...I DID and I wasn't inferring I flat out called them out about it. Don't even try to take any credit for that...it was all me.

You DID however use belicheat as an example and as such open yourself up to being criticized for it. If you don't like it find a better example.

As for dumping on Ben and now Colbert you do it all the time, nothing has changed. Colbert may not go down as a well spoken guy, but he is a pretty damn good GM. So while you sit there and think of GMs who have said something stupid and can't come up with much, why don't you come up with a list of GM's who do a better job of getting players that produce better than Colbert?

lipps83
05-07-2019, 09:20 PM
In reference to spygate and cheating you didn't infer any of that...I DID and I wasn't inferring I flat out called them out about it. Don't even try to take any credit for that...it was all me.

You DID however use belicheat as an example and as such open yourself up to being criticized for it. If you don't like it find a better example.

As for dumping on Ben and now Colbert you do it all the time, nothing has changed. Colbert may not go down as a well spoken guy, but he is a pretty damn good GM. So while you sit there and think of GMs who have said something stupid and can't come up with much, why don't you come up with a list of GM's who do a better job of getting players that produce better than Colbert?

Yikes.

I think he was just saying that Colbert could just not say anything.

pczach
05-08-2019, 02:24 PM
Is it September yet?

Good question.

Unfortunately, no.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-08-2019, 05:55 PM
Yikes.

I think he was just saying that Colbert could just not say anything.

Thank you for understanding the point I was making. :thumbsup: U

nless ARIII has in the job description that he wants his GM to be a quote machine for the sports media, maybe he can just give some vanilla answers to the media and just go about being the GM.

steel striker
05-09-2019, 07:16 AM
Former Ratbird says it all and, it seems that Ben is pretty much hated just about everywhere except in Pittsburgh. It bugs me how Ben gets blamed for everything by the media these days.

Fire Goodell
05-09-2019, 12:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Oh2FKENMoM

polamalubeast
05-15-2019, 02:03 PM

86WARD
05-16-2019, 01:19 PM
Baker Mayfield just called Kareem Hunt “a great kid”!!

Lol

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-16-2019, 01:49 PM

Lol

Does Baker have a weekly radio show yet? That would be golden!

DesertSteel
05-16-2019, 03:11 PM

Lol
Mayfield, himself, is always a TMZ episode waiting to happen........