PDA

View Full Version : Should the Steelers hire Tony Dungy out of retirement to be the new HC?

Born2Steel
04-30-2019, 12:25 PM
I know the knee jerk reaction is HELL NO! But think about it for a minute. Dungy is the guy that built that defense in Tampa that won a SuperBowl without a QB(even though Gruden gets the credit). Then he built one of the most prolific offenses ever in Indianapolis. Just look how that team has tanked since he left. He’s an ex-Steeler to boot.

THOUGHTS???

polamalubeast
04-30-2019, 01:20 PM
Dungy is not an option since it's been more than 10 years since has not been coach and he has been clear that he is not interested in becoming HC again.

Otherwise, if we want a coach to replace Tomlin, I would take an offensive coach....If we look at the best coaches in the NFL after Belichick, most of his coaches are offensive minds like McVay, Payton, Reid, Peterson.

Born2Steel
04-30-2019, 01:23 PM
Dungy is not an option since it's been more than 10 years since has not been coach and he has been clear that he is not interested in becoming HC again.

Otherwise, if we want a coach to replace Tomlin, I would take an offensive coach....If we look at the best coaches in the NFL after Belichick, most of his coaches are offensive minds like McVay, Payton, Reid, Peterson.

Elaborate please. Wasn’t Kelly an offensive minded coach? I have to think there is more to it. What is the special ingredient he was missing?

polamalubeast
04-30-2019, 01:31 PM
I know the knee jerk reaction is HELL NO! But think about it for a minute. Dungy is the guy that built that defense in Tampa that won a SuperBowl without a QB(even though Gruden gets the credit). Then he built one of the most prolific offenses ever in Indianapolis. Just look how that team has tanked since he left. He’s an ex-Steeler to boot.

THOUGHTS???

No doubt Dungy built a great defense with the Bucs who won the Super Bowl, but he was not the one who built the Colts offense.

The thing that Dungy was good with the colts is that his defenses were not awful even if Bill Polian was spending very little on defense outside of the pass rushers .... The Colts were spending most of their money on their offense.

But for the cover 2, for the most part is outdated now, so I'm not interested in that, I want a defense that can play man to man with a good pass rush at 4 players.

- - - Updated - - -

Elaborate please. Wasn’t Kelly an offensive minded coach? I have to think there is more to it. What is the special ingredient he was missing?

I think I have not been clear....I want a good offensive coach, not a coach like Jason Garrett or Chip Kelly....Chip Kelly can not adjust in the NFL and his high pace offense kills his defense, since they are on the field often during 34-35 minutes per game.

Also it's important for a coach to create a good culture, the culture in Philadelphia under Kelly was not very good .... many players were unhappy under Kelly.

munchy
04-30-2019, 03:08 PM
dungy was probably a cool guy, smart and the players liked him but manning ran that team
when the HC sends out the punter and the qb waves him off and runs a play, that says a lot

Born2Steel
04-30-2019, 03:09 PM
So, offensive minded coach. Builds a good culture with happy players. Not fast paced to allow the defense some time to rest between punts. Man to man coverage with good 4 man pass rush. Anything else?

polamalubeast
04-30-2019, 03:17 PM
I have no problem with a fast pace offense, but not for the entire game or season .... You have to adjust.

Born2Steel
04-30-2019, 03:32 PM
I have no problem with a fast pace offense, but not for the entire game or season .... You have to adjust.

And what if the other team comes with a fast paced offense? Are you still playing man to man and pass rushing with 4? That could very well end up with a LB/WR matchup in favor of the offense. With no help because it’s man coverage.

steelreserve
04-30-2019, 03:36 PM
If I was going to hire a coach out of retirement from 10-15 years ago, I'd rather just hire Cowher. :stirthepot:

polamalubeast
04-30-2019, 03:38 PM
And what if the other team comes with a fast paced offense? Are you still playing man to man and pass rushing with 4? That could very well end up with a LB/WR matchup in favor of the offense. With no help because it’s man coverage.

A coach must be certain that you have the right personnel on the field against the personal from the other team.

Of course, I would never do a cover 0 against any QB like the steelers did against Tebow!

- - - Updated - - -

If I was going to hire a coach out of retirement from 10-15 years ago, I'd rather just hire Cowher. :stirthepot:

this

43Hitman
04-30-2019, 03:43 PM

Oh jeez, here we go again.

- - - Updated - - -

A coach must be certain that you have the right personnel on the field against the personal from the other team.

Of course, I would never do a cover 0 against any QB like the steelers did against Tebow!

- - - Updated - - -

this

SEE!!! I knew it!

hawaiiansteeler
04-30-2019, 03:46 PM

yup, so we can win one Super Bowl in the next 16 years...

polamalubeast
04-30-2019, 03:51 PM

Maybe more....When you are in the AFC title game 6 times in 15 years, you have realistic chances to win at least 2-3 super bowl ...We were a contender more often under Cowher,no matter who was the QB of the Steelers.

AtlantaDan
04-30-2019, 04:13 PM

THOUGHTS???

Like Cowher it appears Dungy is quite happy cashing the TV checks and moving on from coaching

Even if he wanted to come back, being away from the game that long would create major problems, as has been shown with Gruden’s return

Whenever Tomlin is replaced it will be by a thirtysomething NFL coordinator

Born2Steel
04-30-2019, 04:25 PM
Like Cowher it appears Dungy is quite happy cashing the TV checks and moving on from coaching

Even if he wanted to come back, being away from the game that long would create major problems, as has been shown with Gruden’s return

Just out of curiosity, by you best guesstimation, how old would that NFL coordinator be now? Ball park age. I can start narrowing down the list if I know the demographics.

steelreserve
04-30-2019, 04:39 PM

Well, since the first 12 or 13 of those years wouldn't consist of dicking around without a quarterback in this hypothetical situation, I'd rather expect us to do better than that.

Either way, we aren't winning shit the way things are going currently. Maybe they'll pull off some huge surprise and prove me wrong.

GoSlash27
04-30-2019, 04:44 PM
First thought: What happened to the old coach?
Second thought: No. :)

hawaiiansteeler
04-30-2019, 04:46 PM
Well, since the first 12 or 13 of those years wouldn't consist of dicking around without a quarterback in this hypothetical situation, I'd rather expect us to do better than that.

actually we would because Ben is in the twilight of his career.

tube517
04-30-2019, 05:03 PM

Same w/Joe Gibbs. He came back after 12 years and the game had passed him by.

Only Vermeil had success coming back after being away so long.

polamalubeast
04-30-2019, 05:28 PM
Same w/Joe Gibbs. He came back after 12 years and the game had passed him by.

Only Vermeil had success coming back after being away so long.

Joe Gibbs was not the same coach when he returned, but it's still impressive that the Redskins made the playoffs twice in his 4 years, even if Washington was not very talented, especially at the QB position.

DesertSteel
04-30-2019, 05:57 PM
I'd take Dungy over Tomlin in a heartbeat.

- - - Updated - - -

Just out of curiosity, by you best guesstimation, how old would that NFL coordinator be now? Ball park age. I can start narrowing down the list if I know the demographics.
He's probably in the 3rd grade! Got any kids in your house that age? You can start grooming him because Tomlin is not going anywhere for a long time. #unfortunately

86WARD
04-30-2019, 05:58 PM
Pass

AtlantaDan
04-30-2019, 09:49 PM

If the 2019 season ends up like the 2018 season for the Steelers that coordinator right now is thirtysomething years of age :rolleyes:

I give Tomlin three more years in Pittsburgh max

st33lersguy
04-30-2019, 09:55 PM
A guy in his mid 60s who had been retired for over a decade. I don't care about the name, HARD PASS!

pczach
05-01-2019, 01:56 PM
A guy in his mid 60s who had been retired for over a decade. I don't care about the name, HARD PASS!

Exactly this ^^^^^^^