PDA

View Full Version : What are your expectations for Devin Bush in his rookie year?

polamalubeast
04-29-2019, 07:19 PM
I do not remember the last time the expectations were high on a rookie player like it going to be for Bush in his rookie season ... it's normal since Bush is the first top 10 pick by the steelers since 2000 ..... We have of course had big expectations on Polamalu and Roethlisberger, but the expectations were low before their rookie season (especially for Ben, since he was supposed to be on the bench).

So what are your expectations for Bush in his rookie season?

Steeldude
04-29-2019, 07:27 PM
To start.

polamalubeast
04-29-2019, 07:27 PM
To start.

Yes and what are your expectations when he is on the field?

st33lersguy
04-29-2019, 07:29 PM
I expect some typical rookie struggles, decent season at best. Year 2 or 3 should be his break out, especially if Art wises up and FINALLY fire Butler (or should I say let his contract run out). I think it would be unfair to expect a Darius Leonard type rookie season

polamalubeast
04-29-2019, 07:35 PM
I expect some typical rookie struggles, decent season at best. Year 2 or 3 should be his break out, especially if Art wises up and FINALLY fire Butler (or should I say let his contract run out). I think it would be unfair to expect a Darius Leonard type rookie season

Good point ... The important thing is to put him in a position to succeed...I mean if he's often against a WR from the other team, it'll be awful to watch.

Even Ray Lewis in his prime would not be the same player if he would often be in a matchup against a wide receiver.

DesertSteel
04-29-2019, 09:21 PM
Pro Bowl and top 3 for ROY.

Rotorhead
04-29-2019, 09:24 PM
I expect nothing, I hope his play is an improvement from the garbage we had out their last season. Although, we do have some help on the back end this year, a top DL and a superstar OLB (and one dud OLB) I would hope our def is improved next season. Hopefully we didn’t allow our offense to fall apart just as the def started turning the corner!

hawaiiansteeler
04-29-2019, 09:38 PM
I expect nothing

Devin Bust

steelreserve
04-29-2019, 09:50 PM
I'd like to see him start a few fights.

Fire Goodell
04-29-2019, 09:57 PM
Super Bowl MVP

86WARD
04-30-2019, 06:42 AM
Solid rookie effort. There will be some learning curve but I’d be looking for something in between Terrell Edmunds and Kendall Bell. Not necessarily ROY but in and around the conversation...similar to how Ben is in and around the MVP conversation at times.

Born2Steel
04-30-2019, 08:40 AM
Vince, Devin, Tyler, Barron, Smith, G3.....I think they all play. Devin will start and play the most snaps. Like Watt but at ILB.

Shoes
04-30-2019, 09:25 AM
I'm sure he will do well but Butler will do his best to confuse him. :chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-30-2019, 10:15 AM
I expect him to find a starting role by week 6 at least. If he picks things up earlier I could see him starting. I honestly would not be surprised if he gets some votes for Devensive ROY. Although I thought Roquan Smith would have similar impact in Chicago last year.

polamalubeast
04-30-2019, 11:13 AM
What Should Expectations Be for Devin Bush’s Rookie Season?

The Pittsburgh Steelers are a team that preaches patience with their rookies. They are not a team to push them into the lineup if they are not ready. However, they are also a team that does not trade up into the top ten for game changing players.

The Steelers trade up for Devin Bush is the first defensive trade up since Troy Polamalu, who did not start a single game for the Steelers in his rookie season. Still, that was a different NFL. The Steelers need to replace Ryan Shazier was apparent in their playoff loss to the Jaguars at the end of the 2017 season and the hole got deeper the following year.

But before the draft, and before the Steelers moved up 10 spots, general manager Kevin Colbert didn’t feel that it was an absolute necessity that his first-round pick be an instant starter.

“The people we draft, the longer we can keep them off the field the better for them historically,” Colbert said. “You really want to go in with these players and delay them getting on the field as long as you can because over time I think coach would get comfortable with what they can do but to have them have to step out and play, more often than not I think it is more detrimental to the player and if he loses his confidence early it’s usually not returnable.”

read more

https://steelersnow.com/what-should-expectations-be-for-devin-bushs-rookie-season/

Six Rings
04-30-2019, 06:40 PM
My expectations? He starts and tackles well. I can live with rookie mistakes.

hawaiiansteeler
04-30-2019, 08:08 PM
I'm sure he will do well but Butler will do his best to confuse him. :chuckle:

what's so confusing about covering the other team's top WR?

HollywoodSteel
04-30-2019, 08:51 PM
Now that they cut Bostic it’s clear that the kid is gonna be thrown into the fire right away.

I think he’ll make a few mistakes but learn very quickly. From everything I’ve read the kid is a leader, a fierce competitor, and had a very high football IQ.

Color my expectations very high.

Steeldude
04-30-2019, 09:48 PM
Yes and what are your expectations when he is on the field?

To justify his draft at 10, salary and what the Steelers gave up for him. I expect him to know the playbook and 100% effort.

I don't want to see any dancing or celebrating routine plays. Haha. Remain focused the entire time. Show early on he can be a leader.

He will make mistakes early on, but they should be quickly resolved.

Mojouw
05-01-2019, 09:06 AM
He will become the most divisive Steelers message board player. Replacing whipping boys Artie Burns and Bud Dupree.

hawaiiansteeler
05-01-2019, 02:20 PM
He will become the most divisive Steelers message board player. Replacing whipping boys Artie Burns and Bud Dupree.

there will always be a special place in our hearts for Artie Burnt and Bust Dupree. do you really think Devin Bust can join such elite company?

86WARD
05-01-2019, 06:27 PM

Those are high standards!!!

Mojouw
05-02-2019, 12:14 AM
there will always be a special place in our hearts for Artie Burnt and Bust Dupree. do you really think Devin Bust can join such elite company?

It is an epic nickname potential.

hawaiiansteeler
05-24-2019, 11:59 PM
Joey Porter Believes Rookie LB Devin Bush Will Make Steelers Defense Nasty Again

By Dave Bryan
Posted on May 24, 2019

Former Pittsburgh Steelers outside linebacker coach Joey Porter was a guest Friday evening on NFL Network’s ‘Total Access’ and he certainly had a lot to say about his most-recent employer. During one of the segments that Porter was in, he was asked to comment some on the Steelers first-round draft pick this year, inside linebacker Devin Bush out of Michigan.

“I think he brings instant splash,” said Porter of Bush. “He’s going to be a guy that can go out there, that can call a defense. It makes the Pittsburgh defense not to have to try and use so many people to try and create a Ryan Shazier.. That’s what they did a year ago. You know, we had like a lot of different packages, we were trying to make two and three people be Ryan and when you have Devin Bush, you can leave him on the field. You know he’s a smart guy, his dad is a football coach. He’s been in football his whole life. So, I think he comes right into the system, does his job, makes a lot of plays and brings that nasty back to the defense.”

to read rest of article:

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/joey-porter-believes-rookie-lb-devin-bush-will-make-steelers-defense-nasty-again/

Six Rings
05-25-2019, 06:56 AM
I expect him to be named the starter by the 3rd pre-season game. We've got nothing at ILB besides him. If Bush can't start, then we have an issue. He's an NFL bloodline guy, tutored by Derrick Brooks, and loves the game,

As for his potential, I'd compare him to Timmons. A bit faster and quicker but not quite as physical ( or durable ) as a run defender. Bush is a 3 down guy. Fast enough to shut down mobile QB's, and quick enough to shadow backs. Excellent on the Blitz. Whether he's tall enough to match up with the taller TE's, that a question and I think the answer is no.

With Bush, I think he's a high football IQ type with top character. Perhaps the most underrated part of his game.

polamalubeast
07-14-2019, 08:04 PM
Future HOF?

Born2Steel
07-14-2019, 08:11 PM
I expect him to start. I expect results similar to Watt's rookie season. Teams that want to run wide on us are now in trouble. Teams that want to try the middle against us are now in trouble. High damn expectations, that's what.

vasteeler
07-14-2019, 08:52 PM
50 sacks, pro bowl and super bowl MVP.

Mojouw
07-14-2019, 11:29 PM
I expect him to be widely criticized and told to get stronger and move off blocks better.

teegre
07-14-2019, 11:49 PM
I expect him to pick up J.D., and spin him around as they both scream “EEEEEEEAGLE!!!”

Born2Steel
07-15-2019, 07:18 AM
I expect him to pick up J.D., and spin him around as they both scream “EEEEEEEAGLE!!!”

No, you’re thinking of Turk.

polamalubeast
07-15-2019, 08:01 AM

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-15-2019, 10:06 AM
I know he will be a huge upgrade over Bostic in the speed, coverage and tackling dept. He wont be the between the tackles thumper, but that is what Williams is here for. Really gonna be fun to watch him fly around out there.

Now, if the game slows down for Edmunds in his 2nd season, it should be interesting to see these picks stand out on defense.

teegre
07-15-2019, 11:16 AM
No, you’re thinking of Turk.

We already have a head coach who is a doctor (Eric Foreman). So, it makes sense to have a surgeon on defense...

teegre
07-15-2019, 11:29 AM
I know he will be a huge upgrade over Bostic in the speed, coverage and tackling dept. He wont be the between the tackles thumper, but that is what Williams is here for. Really gonna be fun to watch him fly around out there.

Now, if the game slows down for Edmunds in his 2nd season, it should be interesting to see these picks stand out on defense.

There was an article from PFF (take that as you will) that listed the top three most improved Steelers defenders... from the first half of the 2018 season to the last half.

T.J. Watt
1-9: 60.8
10-17: 87.7

Javon Hargrave
1-9: 69.1
10-17: 86.2

Terrell Edmunds
1-9: 54.9
10-17: 71.6

I know that PFF’s “grades” should be taken with a grain of salt, but regardless, the improvement of these three YOUNG defenders is a promising sign that the defense is on the upswing.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-15-2019, 11:35 AM
There was an article from PFF (take that as you will) that listed the top three most improved Steelers defenders... from the first half of the 2018 season to the last half.

T.J. Watt
1-9: 60.8
10-17: 87.7

Javon Hargrave
1-9: 69.1
10-17: 86.2

Terrell Edmunds
1-9: 54.9
10-17: 71.6

I know that PFF’s “grades” should be taken with a grain of salt, but regardless, the improvement of these three YOUNG defenders is a promising sign that the defense is on the upswing.

Yeah, I think we know what we have in Watt and Hargrave, now they just need to be consistently solid in performance. Edmunds improvement was likely a result of all the reps and continuing to learn. I really hope that Teryl Austin isn't just here to advise on challenge flags, as I think he can impact guys like Edmunds, Davis, Sutton, Layne and maybe even Burns in a real positive way.

polamalubeast
07-15-2019, 05:50 PM
Yeah, I think we know what we have in Watt and Hargrave, now they just need to be consistently solid in performance. Edmunds improvement was likely a result of all the reps and continuing to learn. I really hope that Teryl Austin isn't just here to advise on challenge flags, as I think he can impact guys like Edmunds, Davis, Sutton, Layne and maybe even Burns in a real positive way.

I would be very surprised if Austin is only there for red flag or clock management, otherwise it would be stupid for him to take this job just for that!

I mean, I could do a good job for the clock management and for the challenge if that would be the only job that I would have to do!

polamalubeast
07-19-2019, 10:51 AM
one of the big reason why the steelers trade up for Bush.

FrancoLambert
07-19-2019, 04:20 PM

👍
My only concern with Bush is getting overpowered on running plays.
Can only hope that Butler’s schemes get the most out of him.
Edmunds better start to show his draft pedigree.

hawaiiansteeler
07-19-2019, 04:59 PM
��
My only concern with Bush is getting overpowered on running plays.
Can only hope that Butler’s schemes get the most out of him.

you can bet other teams will run straight at him early and often to find out.

and yes, sure hope Bush can cover other teams' #1 WRs better than Bostic and VW were able to...

teegre
07-20-2019, 11:14 AM

Austin will improve the secondary.

Another PFF stat. In the second half of the season, TJ Watt has a pass-rusher rating of 90.1... second-highest of any player in the NFL.

polamalubeast
07-20-2019, 11:22 AM
Ryan Shazier played a big role in our last 3 playoffs wins.

Big shoe to fill for Bush, but let's hope he's going to be a game changer too!

Six Rings
07-21-2019, 08:12 AM
Bush skills and playing style really suits the modern game. If there were the 1990's, he might struggle. But this is 2019, and teams don't grind the ball or use a FB to take out the ILB as much.