PDA

View Full Version : Pretty obvious... it's been the center, all along.

Akagi
09-26-2010, 07:44 PM
Obviously, Mansfield, Webster, Dawson. Steelers football, defined.

Hartings was decent. Behind him, and with the help of Faneca, Bus drove his way into the HoF.

Then... Mahan. Hartwig. And we all wondered, where was that ball control, why couldn't our team drive the ball while holding the lead? Was it Parker, that he was either 35 yards or -2?

Naw. It wasn't Parker. It was the center. What we watched in the second half this afternoon was the re-emergence of Steelers football. The boys decided to hammer the ball down the Bucs' throats, and then they did it.

I know it, you know it, we all know it. What we need is a Pouncey fan club, with stadium banners! Anyone taking odds? I put it at close to 100% that there is a Pouncey banner this weekend at Heinz Field!

And imagine what FWP could have done if there'd actually been a hole up the middle every now and then, instead of Mahan's butt on the ground.

edit: Good god, I'm a senior member already? LOL, that was easy.

ALLD
09-26-2010, 08:28 PM
With Mangold banged up, Pouncey could move up to best C in the NFL next season.

O'Malley
09-26-2010, 08:48 PM
I like this kid a lot. He is nasty and plays to the whistle. I have not seen our center blocking down the field for a while. I believe he brings back the attitude and swagger to the offense that has not been there for a long time. Poor Willie, I have to agree he would most likely be lighting it up right now. With that said I am just as happy with Mendy and the way he is imposing his will on defenders this year.

steelreserve
09-26-2010, 10:30 PM
Parker was the same way whether he was running behind three Pro Bowlers or the patchwork mishmash we've had the past couple of years. However bad the offensive line looked, Parker made it look worse.

Behind the same shitty offensive line, Mendenhall rand for 1,100 yards despite not being the starter until almost a quarter of the way into the season. He made it work somehow.

Not to say that having a better center isn't making a difference - it does. But RB was a problem at the same time.

Craic
09-27-2010, 01:47 AM
Parker was the same way whether he was running behind three Pro Bowlers or the patchwork mishmash we've had the past couple of years. However bad the offensive line looked, Parker made it look worse.

Behind the same shitty offensive line, Mendenhall rand for 1,100 yards despite not being the starter until almost a quarter of the way into the season. He made it work somehow.

Not to say that having a better center isn't making a difference - it does. But RB was a problem at the same time.
:chuckle: just wont give up the willie hate. I have a serious challenge for u. Take away Mendy's long runs, and then take a look at his average. IT SUCKED over the first two games. Fact of the matter is, when an oline plays well, a RB can get good yardage. When the center and RG are so bad, that they can't get to the second level for a second block downfield, your RB will suck. The caveat, when the OC has to call so many pass plays because running simply doesn't work anymore, you can start sneaking in runs and surprising the d. Welcome to last years offense. A good day of blocking, and willie put up 140 in the playoffs against the Chargers.

No, an entirely new right side of the line has about 85-90 % to do with our improved run game. Better discipline across the line about 5%, and Mendy vs. Willie prob. 5 %.

Galax Steeler
09-27-2010, 03:27 AM
I just posted in another thread about Pouncey. I will admit I wasn't crazy about it when we drafted him at no.18 but I am sure glad we did now.

steelreserve
09-27-2010, 03:49 AM
:chuckle: just wont give up the willie hate. I have a serious challenge for u. Take away Mendy's long runs, and then take a look at his average. IT SUCKED over the first two games. Fact of the matter is, when an oline plays well, a RB can get good yardage. When the center and RG are so bad, that they can't get to the second level for a second block downfield, your RB will suck. The caveat, when the OC has to call so many pass plays because running simply doesn't work anymore, you can start sneaking in runs and surprising the d. Welcome to last years offense. A good day of blocking, and willie put up 140 in the playoffs against the Chargers.

No, an entirely new right side of the line has about 85-90 % to do with our improved run game. Better discipline across the line about 5%, and Mendy vs. Willie prob. 5 %.

I'm not talking about the first two games of this year. The entire offense pretty much had its head up its collective ass for the first two games of this year. I mean last year, when we had essentially the same shitty offensive line that everyone had been complaining about for 2+ seasons, and Mendenhall made a go of it much better than Parker ever could have. The run game was actually consistent, picking up multiple first downs in a row, putting us in 3rd-and-2 instead of 3rd-and-9, doing the kinds of things you need to do in order to have an offense that keeps drives going instead of scoring on the first possession and then going three-and-out four times in a row. I mean, we kept basically the entire offense intact except for taking Parker out of the lineup, and what happened? The offense had a record year. This is not rocket science.

Remember how during the offseason, everyone was wondering what would happen with Parker, and a bunch of people were saying we should re-sign him, and a bunch more people were saying we couldn't afford him but some other team would snap him up ... and I was predicting he would be out of the league by now? How'd that turn out? I think I have that guy figured out.

Edman
09-27-2010, 04:03 AM
Not to take anything away from Parker, but Mendenhall is a more complete back. He has more moves at his repitoire. Mendy can make guys miss and even run through tackles. Not once watching Willie have I recalled him ever making guys miss or doing the little things for extra yards. Parker needed holes or he went nowhere. Mendy turns what would be a 5 yard gain with Parker into 8-10 yarders with his spin move. The little things.

True, the run blocking is better, but Mendy played behind this same crap line Parker played behind and was actually more productive.

MULLDOG24
09-27-2010, 06:06 AM
OK guys and Gals KUDOS to Pouncey I agree that he is a much needed fresh air to our O-line but I want to also say that I thought that Legursky filled in nicely and should be our starting RG from now on IMHO.

steelreserve
09-27-2010, 07:07 AM
Not to take anything away from Parker, but Mendenhall is a more complete back. He has more moves at his repitoire. Mendy can make guys miss and even run through tackles. Not once watching Willie have I recalled him ever making guys miss or doing the little things for extra yards. Parker needed holes or he went nowhere. Mendy turns what would be a 5 yard gain with Parker into 8-10 yarders with his spin move. The little things.

True, the run blocking is better, but Mendy played behind this same crap line Parker played behind and was actually more productive.

Thank you. This is exactly what I wanted to say, except I have to be a dick about it because it's Parker.

Also, more to the point of the thread, I have to say I'm really happy about Pouncey. It's not too often you see a rookie just plug in right away like that and be dependable. Remember in preseason? We were all like, "Let's be realistic, he'll have to learn the position in the pro game, and center is especially difficult, so maybe if we're lucky he'll sort of compete at guard this year." But no. The guy is a starter, and a solid starter. We got a fucking PRO, and that's way above what I was expecting for the kid.

Parker still sucked, though, so let's not lose sight of that.

SteelerSal
09-27-2010, 07:09 AM
OK guys and Gals KUDOS to Pouncey I agree that he is a much needed fresh air to our O-line but I want to also say that I thought that Legursky filled in nicely and should be our starting RG from now on IMHO.

Agree....that line up yesterday aught to be the the starting front 5 for the rest of the season.

Steeldude
09-27-2010, 07:17 AM
Obviously, Mansfield, Webster, Dawson. Steelers football, defined.

Hartings was decent. Behind him, and with the help of Faneca, Bus drove his way into the HoF.

Then... Mahan. Hartwig. And we all wondered, where was that ball control, why couldn't our team drive the ball while holding the lead? Was it Parker, that he was either 35 yards or -2?

Naw. It wasn't Parker. It was the center. What we watched in the second half this afternoon was the re-emergence of Steelers football. The boys decided to hammer the ball down the Bucs' throats, and then they did it.

I know it, you know it, we all know it. What we need is a Pouncey fan club, with stadium banners! Anyone taking odds? I put it at close to 100% that there is a Pouncey banner this weekend at Heinz Field!

And imagine what FWP could have done if there'd actually been a hole up the middle every now and then, instead of Mahan's butt on the ground.

edit: Good god, I'm a senior member already? LOL, that was easy.

there is more to this O-line than a C. RT is still a concern. even the guards are questionable. the steelers have been neglecting to insert talent into the line since 2002. i hope they can get a tackle in next year's draft.

Craic
09-27-2010, 06:03 PM
I'm not talking about the first two games of this year. The entire offense pretty much had its head up its collective ass for the first two games of this year. I mean last year, when we had essentially the same shitty offensive line that everyone had been complaining about for 2+ seasons, and Mendenhall made a go of it much better than Parker ever could have. The run game was actually consistent, picking up multiple first downs in a row, putting us in 3rd-and-2 instead of 3rd-and-9, doing the kinds of things you need to do in order to have an offense that keeps drives going instead of scoring on the first possession and then going three-and-out four times in a row. I mean, we kept basically the entire offense intact except for taking Parker out of the lineup, and what happened? The offense had a record year. This is not rocket science.

Remember how during the offseason, everyone was wondering what would happen with Parker, and a bunch of people were saying we should re-sign him, and a bunch more people were saying we couldn't afford him but some other team would snap him up ... and I was predicting he would be out of the league by now? How'd that turn out? I think I have that guy figured out.

Actually, I already answered about last year. You really can't compare between a couple games where the other team EXPECTS the run, and the rest of the season where, because the O line is so horrid in the run, that team start preparing for you to go up top 30 or more times a game. Apples and Oranges. I still find it funny that you think Willie should have been able to consistantly run through 2 and 3 guys in the backfield... when Mendy was having the same problems... even this year.

Do I think Willie was a better back than Mendy? Nope. Parker was a one cut and go back. But to blame the blocking failures of the O line on a RB, is quite ridiculous.

Craic
09-27-2010, 06:47 PM
Not to take anything away from Parker, but Mendenhall is a more complete back. He has more moves at his repitoire. Mendy can make guys miss and even run through tackles.
I am not sure about running through tackles, as I have seen him tripped up pretty easily. However, I agree with the rest of it this.

Not once watching Willie have I recalled him ever making guys miss or doing the little things for extra yards. There were a number of times. However the one that will always stick out in my mind is the first game of the 2005 year, when he actually was hit in the backfield, spun around, and went for about 40+ yards.

Parker needed holes or he went nowhere. Mendy turns what would be a 5 yard gain with Parker into 8-10 yarders with his spin move. The little things. Mendy needs holes or he goes no where either. That is kind of the point about the run game. You need holes in order to actually run the ball. Is Mendy a better all around back that gets more yards after contact? Absolutely. Add to that Parker's age, and there is no comparison. The issue I have, is how some think that Willy just sucked, without giving a second thought to any other considerations... like how the GP'ing changed through the year, how defenses adjust to our pass-first offense last year, or the changes in the line, etc. etc. etc.

True, the run blocking is better, but Mendy played behind this same crap line Parker played behind and was actually more productive. And once again, I say, go look at the GP'ing by offense AND opposing defense over the season. ALSO, Mendy had a WORSE YPC average over the last half of the season then Willie P. did, which means, IMO, that had willie not been injured at the beginning of the season, he would have had just as good if not a better season (total yards) than Mendy.

In the end, what did it for Willie, was the 2007 season. It seems that the 300 carry wall is alive and well.

After all:
Chris Johnson was injured last year after hitting 300. We'll see how he lasts this year
Thomas Jones was injured in preseason already... and many say he has lost his burst after last years 300 rush season (sounds like Willie).
Steven Jackson was injured this week, groin. While they think it is minor.. we'll see. THose injuries stay around a long time, right Jerome Bettis?
Adrian Peterson had problems in camp with some muscle tightness.. but that is just conditioning.. so I am not counting him.
MJD is having a tough time this year... that ankle injury is really screwing with him.
Cedric Benson was injured.. though he is now back.

And that... is all the 300 plus rushers from last year. Notice all the injuries? I really think that is what did Willie in, ESPECIALLY when he was a speed back.

Craic
09-27-2010, 07:04 PM
there is more to this O-line than a C. RT is still a concern. even the guards are questionable. the steelers have been neglecting to insert talent into the line since 2002. i hope they can get a tackle in next year's draft.

I think Legursky is definitely a plausible answer at this point. Of course, we need to see him over an extended period. I am quite happy with Kemo as LG. So, IMO, until I see some breakdowns, I think we may have just solidified our interior. I completely agree with you on tackles (this year). I wouldn't mind seeing Essex play LT for a while. When he filled in there at the end of 2007, he did a very good job. I want to know if he can play that position consistently, or if it was just a fluke. Willie Colon is one of the best run blocking RT's in the league. For passing, it seems he is about right in the middle of the pack for RT's in sacks allowed. (2008, as are the rest of the sack stats here) It also seems however, that Willie C. really stepped it up last year to become a very good pass blocker. Though, it is fair to remember that Ben extends plays so much that the sack numbers are going to be inflated a bit. Funny thing is, with only 11 starts, Max Starks is STILL in the middle of the pack for sacks allowed... and he basically played a 1/3rd less games! Kemo allowed almost the most sacks of anyone at LG, but two things. 1. For those screaming for Fanaca, he was only half a sack behind Kemo. 2., I think a large number of those sacks were actually on Hartwig.

steelreserve
09-27-2010, 09:17 PM
Actually, I already answered about last year. You really can't compare between a couple games where the other team EXPECTS the run, and the rest of the season where, because the O line is so horrid in the run, that team start preparing for you to go up top 30 or more times a game. Apples and Oranges. I still find it funny that you think Willie should have been able to consistantly run through 2 and 3 guys in the backfield... when Mendy was having the same problems... even this year.

Do I think Willie was a better back than Mendy? Nope. Parker was a one cut and go back. But to blame the blocking failures of the O line on a RB, is quite ridiculous.

OK, so we don't really see eye-to-eye on this one. Fair enough. But you have no idea how much better I feel now that we're arguing about whether or not Parker DID suck than whether he DOES suck. I thought we were going to be stuck with him until he was 50.

GBMelBlount
09-27-2010, 10:05 PM

Taking nothing away from Pouncey, perhaps our O-line played above their ability this week....which is a good thing.

Is this our 2008 defense with an offense that has a better line and running back??....Regardless, I couldn't be happier about our teams play and yes, I do agree we need a tackle early in the draft next year...

Craic
09-27-2010, 10:31 PM
OK, so we don't really see eye-to-eye on this one. Fair enough. But you have no idea how much better I feel now that we're arguing about whether or not Parker DID suck than whether he DOES suck. I thought we were going to be stuck with him until he was 50.

Fair enough.. though we should remember... we are 7-0 in the playoffs with him, 0-1 in the playoffs without him. :boink: :chuckle: