PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Release LB Jon Bostic After One Season

Shoes
04-27-2019, 09:05 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers selected a few inside linebackers in this year’s draft and those draft picks have resulted in a veteran linebacker under contract being cut Saturday evening.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/04/steelers-release-lb-jon-bostic-after-one-season/

Craic
04-27-2019, 09:44 PM
I don't like this move. Bostic wasn't anything to write home about, but that's good as well as bad, because no one is writing home about his mistakes or bad play, either. I'd prefer they kept him as the number 2 guy at either ILB role. I wonder if this means the scheme is beginning to change again.

pczach
04-28-2019, 07:35 AM
I don't like this move. Bostic wasn't anything to write home about, but that's good as well as bad, because no one is writing home about his mistakes or bad play, either. I'd prefer they kept him as the number 2 guy at either ILB role. I wonder if this means the scheme is beginning to change again.

I know what you mean. He's not a great player because he's limited athletically and in coverage, but he rarely makes mistakes and he plays really hard. He's very good around the LOS in the run game. I like the way he approaches the game and respect how he goes about his business.

At the same time, I see what the team is trying to do. They are changing the athleticism of the entire roster, and they want that athleticism to also be on the team depth chart so that a similar player with similar skills is able to play in the same scheme more easily and effectively.

This is the team creating depth and being able to plug and play players without having to adjust the scheme to overcome injuries. It sucks, but I get it.

teegre
04-28-2019, 07:38 AM
It was a move to allow Bostic to find another team to play for. The odds were that he was going to be a cap casualty (later on); so, in order to increase the odds that he makes another roster, cutting him now did him a favor.

By the end of last season, the Steelers had already “moved on”.

Game 12: 40 snaps
Games 13-16: 15-18 snaps per game

Six Rings
04-28-2019, 09:43 AM
Bostic could not cover well as a linebacker and I don't recall his name being called often in special teams play either.

Hound
04-28-2019, 10:29 AM
ILB group - Bush, Barron, Williams, Gilbert and dirty Red. A lot more speed and coverage ability than last year. Special teams have definitely improved

EzraTank
04-28-2019, 10:31 AM
Oh noes ... we're doomed without him.

hawaiiansteeler
04-28-2019, 03:13 PM
Oh noes ... we're doomed without him.

who is going to cover the other team's #1 WR on crucial 3rd downs now? :noidea:

polamalubeast
04-28-2019, 03:19 PM
who is going to cover the other team's #1 WR on crucial 3rd downs now? :noidea:

It's such a classic Butler ....He rarely put his defense and his players to succeed.

The first time that Bush will be beaten by a WR (probably in week 1 against Edelman) many will say that he is already a bust or that he is not worth the trade ...