PDA

View Full Version : Steelers select Derwin Gray, Offensive lineman, Maryland #219 overall

BlackAndGold
04-27-2019, 04:05 PM
The last pick.

teegre
04-27-2019, 04:07 PM
I would have bet it would have been Brumfield. Oh well... my mock was :poop:

BlackAndGold
04-27-2019, 04:08 PM
Really felt like this pick was going to be a kicker.

stillers4me
04-27-2019, 04:08 PM

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
04-27-2019, 04:10 PM
Really felt like this pick was going to be a kicker. Me too but bet they bring a undrafted one in to challenge Boz.

BlackAndGold
04-27-2019, 04:10 PM
Me too but bet they bring a undrafted one in to challenge Boz.

Hopefully.

Born2Steel
04-27-2019, 04:11 PM
Really felt like this pick was going to be a kicker.

Have to wait until soccer season ends.

Mojouw
04-27-2019, 04:12 PM
Like it. based on the picture above, he looks to be half bionic cyborg.

That is a great # of braces and tape.

hawaiiansteeler
04-27-2019, 08:29 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers: Derwin Gray, OT, Maryland B Grade

I once mocked Derwin Gray as high as the third round, but that was before his severe lack of athleticism was exposed at the combine. Gray could become a strong run blocker in the NFL, but he's going to have severe problems blocking speed pass rushers.

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades7.php

Born2Steel
04-28-2019, 06:08 PM
I would have bet it would have been Brumfield. Oh well... my mock was :poop:

I still don't think he can beat out Brumfield. That right tackle spot could be an issue this year.

slashsteel
04-28-2019, 06:57 PM
I still don't think he can beat out Brumfield. That right tackle spot could be an issue this year.
I think Matt Feiler is solid there worse case scenario. Best case it is a three man race and one of the two other tackles beats him out.

For me I am not overly concerned here. Backup FS, that might be more worrisome......

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
04-28-2019, 07:46 PM
OL will probably be the 1st rd pick in 20 and bet will be the focus of the draft.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-28-2019, 07:51 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers: Derwin Gray, OT, Maryland B Grade

I once mocked Derwin Gray as high as the third round, but that was before his severe lack of athleticism was exposed at the combine. Gray could become a strong run blocker in the NFL, but he's going to have severe problems blocking speed pass rushers.

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades7.php

Thanks for the link. Big OT's that are good run blockers and cant handle speed rushers are generally a candidate to move to Guard. I see Gray being worked as a backup guard, but something tells me RJ Prince could beat him for a spot on the 53 this year.

hawaiiansteeler
04-28-2019, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the link. Big OT's that are good run blockers and cant handle speed rushers are generally a candidate to move to Guard. I see Gray being worked as a backup guard, but something tells me RJ Prince could beat him for a spot on the 53 this year.

do you think he's a possible candidate at RT or just guard?

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-28-2019, 08:18 PM
do you think he's a possible candidate at RT or just guard?I think a lot depends on what he can keep his weight at. He says he lost 18 lbs since leaving Maryland and weighed in at 320 at his pro day. If he leans down a bit more to 310, then maybe he will be light enough on his feet to play RT if needed, but I think he moves inside to Guard.

BlackAndGold
04-28-2019, 08:41 PM
Definitely see him kicking inside at guard. Have not seen a lot of him but the little I have seen he has some attitude to him. Thick(:eyebrows:) with long arms. Likely he spends his rookie season on the PS.

Hopefully Depot or someone post some breakdowns on Gray. (I have zero care to watch Maryland games lol)

slashsteel
04-28-2019, 11:27 PM
Steelers love versatile O-linemen, regardless of where he settles you can bank on him being looked at at RT and G.

hawaiiansteeler
05-01-2019, 12:30 AM
Evaluating The Value: OT Derwin Gray

By Tom Mead
Posted on April 30, 2019

Pittsburgh uses their final 2019 draft pick to add some depth on the offensive line. They selected Maryland tackle Derwin Gray.

Gray had very good size measuring at 6’4 ½” and 320 pounds at the Combine and has very good length with 34 3/8 inch arms. He spent a year at Fork Union Military Academy before joining the Maryland Terrapins. He made 25 starts in 37 games at left tackle over the past three years. He earned a 2018 Honorable Mention All-Big Ten commendation after blocking for the 17th best rushing offense in the country and third best in the Big Ten, averaging 230.2 yards per game. In 2017 he earned the team’s James M. Tatum Memorial Award as the team’s best lineman and had the fourth-best pass-blocking efficiency according to Pro Football Focus.

to read rest of article:

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/04/evaluating-the-value-ot-derwin-gray/

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-02-2019, 12:01 PM
Steelers love versatile O-linemen, regardless of where he settles you can bank on him being looked at at RT and G.

I rewatched his combine workout and I agree. He shows decent enough of a kick slide and plays on the balls of his feet well enough to play RT I think in the NFL. Showed decent lateral athleticism and bends well enough that he should be able to use the long arms to protect outside rush, but quick and balanced enough to handle the counter move inside.

He looked fitter (says he dropped 18lbs since leaving Maryland) at the combine than I expected. I still think he could be a better Guard prospect, but I believe he can be flexible to play RT as well.