PDA

View Full Version : Louis Riddick loves the Steelers draft

teegre
04-27-2019, 01:28 PM
On ESPN, Louis Riddick just said that the Steelers are having the best draft.

He's loved every pick.

"Devin Bush is 'pound-for-pound' the best player in this draft."

"Diontae Johnson is the best route-runner in this draft."

But, I do not know what Livinn Mymomm-S'Basement thinks about our draft... so... :noidea:

hawaiiansteeler
04-27-2019, 01:31 PM
Riddick must have said that before we selected Zach Gentry

Shoes
04-27-2019, 01:31 PM

He's loved every pick.

But, I do not know what Livinn Mymomm-S'Basement thinks about our draft... so... :noidea:

Bush & Johnson were every pick. 10-4 :chuckle:

teegre
04-27-2019, 01:35 PM
Bush & Johnson were every pick. 10-4 :chuckle:

I couldn't remember his quotes about Layne & Snell.

About Layne, he said something along the lines of him being the #1 CB by the end of training camp. Maybe a little bit of a hyperbole, but the point is the same: he loved the pick.

Shoes
04-27-2019, 01:36 PM
I couldn't remember his quotes about Layne & Snell.

About Layne, he said something along the lines of him being the #1 CB by the end of training camp. Maybe a little bit of a hyperbole, but the point is the same: he loved the pick.

I was ok with Bush and Johnson too, but for some strange reason i can't remember anyone else. :lol:

teegre
04-27-2019, 01:39 PM
I was ok with Bush and Johnson too, but for some strange reason i can't remember anyone else. :lol:

Wait... did you not like the Layne pick???

Shoes
04-27-2019, 01:45 PM
Wait... did you not like the Layne pick???

I'm ok with Layne and snell, just feel the should have move up and picked better players at the compost end of the draft.

DesertSteel
04-27-2019, 01:48 PM

He's loved every pick.

Munchy is very down on this draft!

hawaiiansteeler
04-27-2019, 01:50 PM

he's researching thousands of websites as we speak.

turns out we could have had every player we picked at least 3 rounds later...

Mojouw
04-27-2019, 01:51 PM

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/facebook/000/022/524/tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

teegre
04-27-2019, 03:18 PM
Riddick: "I can't say enough good things about this draft. I have been hard on them this off-season, but they are having a great draft."

Six Rings
04-27-2019, 03:35 PM
What we gave to to get Bush will define this draft. If Bush as good as say Timmons, it will be worth it I did not like a few of the picks ( Round 4, or 5 ) and think we reached bit on the receiver in round three.

But I think we got a steal in Buggs for round six, and got a solid corner with our pick in round three.

I'd say this is a grade B type of draft.

AtlantaDan
04-27-2019, 04:05 PM
What we gave to to get Bush will define this draft. If Bush as good as say Timmons, it will be worth it I did not like a few of the picks ( Round 4, or 5 ) and think we reached bit on the receiver in round three.

But I think we got a steal in Buggs for round six, and got a solid corner with our pick in round three.

I'd say this is a grade B type of draft.

It is understandable to give an immediate grade but of course any meaningful assessment needs to wait 3-4 years

Here was a snap judgment regarding the greatest draft of them all

When the Steelers had their legendary 1974 draft that netted four future Hall of Fame players, it was panned by Phil Musick, writing in The Pittsburgh Press. He liked No. 1 choice Lynn Swann just fine, but didn’t think the Steelers had really helped themselves with their other choices.

He wrote of the second round choice, “Jack Lambert figures to be the No. 5 linebacker, if he pans out.”

He referred to the rest of the picks as “question marks.” That included John Stallworth (fourth round) and Mike Webster, who was chosen a round later.

Musick dismissed Webster as “excess baggage” and said he was drafted, “primarily to snap the ball at training camp.”

http://www.altoonamirror.com/sports/sports-columns/2016/05/draft-takes-some-time-to-grade/

teegre
04-27-2019, 04:06 PM
It is understandable to give an immediate grade but of course any meaningful assessment needs to wait 3-4 years

Here was a snap judgment regarding the greatest draft of them all

When the Steelers had their legendary 1974 draft that netted four future Hall of Fame players, it was panned by Phil Musick, writing in The Pittsburgh Press. He liked No. 1 choice Lynn Swann just fine, but didn’t think the Steelers had really helped themselves with their other choices.

He wrote of the second round choice, “Jack Lambert figures to be the No. 5 linebacker, if he pans out.”

He referred to the rest of the picks as “question marks.” That included John Stallworth (fourth round) and Mike Webster, who was chosen a round later.

Musick dismissed Webster as “excess baggage” and said he was drafted, “primarily to snap the ball at training camp.”

http://www.altoonamirror.com/sports/sports-columns/2016/05/draft-takes-some-time-to-grade/

"Yea... you gotta wait three years."
--Angry Chair

AtlantaDan
04-27-2019, 04:10 PM
--Angry Chair

Guesses, educated or otherwise, can, and in fact must, be given immediately on any subject with elaborate justifications that may or may not have the slightest basis in fact - that is why God invented the internet

And the beauty part is nobody remembers any of it - but if you can sell ads for it nothing succeeds like the excess of the NFL draft and the hot takes that are its fuel

teegre
04-27-2019, 04:19 PM
Guesses, educated or otherwise, can, and in fact must, be given immediately on any subject with elaborate justifications that may or may not have the slightest basis in fact - that is why God invented the internet

This shall be chiseled on Ian Rapoport's tombstone.

DesertSteel
04-27-2019, 04:22 PM
Combine measurements mean nothing and draft grades take 3-4 years.... Right! So why does nobody adhere to these concepts??? Because we all like to measure and evaluate in the now!

pczach
04-27-2019, 05:17 PM

What makes you think that?

- - - Updated - - -

--Angry Chair

Timing is indeed everything.... :rofl2:

hawaiiansteeler
04-27-2019, 08:25 PM
--Angry Chair

I miss Angry Chair, one of the all-time greats who will go down in message board infamy!

pczach
04-28-2019, 07:02 AM
I miss Angry Chair, one of the all-time greats who will go down in message board infamy!

He is the message board equivalent of a one-hit wonder!

polamalubeast
04-29-2019, 09:35 AM
It was before the draft.

Steeldude
04-29-2019, 09:42 AM
Combine measurements mean nothing and draft grades take 3-4 years.... Right! So why does nobody adhere to these concepts??? Because we all like to measure and evaluate in the now!

I don't know, it was rather obvious Burns and Jones sucked from the start.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-29-2019, 09:51 AM

Not to all. I think Burns had a couple (or at least one) opportunistic INT and the Media was raving about how he covered AB 1 on 1 in training camp. A lot of fans, media, etc were drinking the Burns Kool-Aid.

Then with Jarvis Jones, he had one play where he kind of stumbled thru 2 defenders on a half roll to the right and kind of knocked down the QB with his back. All the Jones fanboys were so excited that he got the first of what was supposed to be many sacks to come. They just didn't realize there was no technique to that play at all and he would struggle to get home the next 3 years.

I feel pretty good about Devin Bush starting early, Benny Snell as a backup and Ulysses Gilbert as a special teamer. I think Layne is a project that I am optimistic about and I like what I see in Dionte Johnson, but just not sure if he can play outside with NFL CB's that were all on scholarship in college.

DesertSteel
04-29-2019, 10:26 AM
And we all know that your boy James Harrison was a star in year one.

Mojouw
04-29-2019, 10:30 AM
Not to all. I think Burns had a couple (or at least one) opportunistic INT and the Media was raving about how he covered AB 1 on 1 in training camp. A lot of fans, media, etc were drinking the Burns Kool-Aid.

Then with Jarvis Jones, he had one play where he kind of stumbled thru 2 defenders on a half roll to the right and kind of knocked down the QB with his back. All the Jones fanboys were so excited that he got the first of what was supposed to be many sacks to come. They just didn't realize there was no technique to that play at all and he would struggle to get home the next 3 years.

I feel pretty good about Devin Bush starting early, Benny Snell as a backup and Ulysses Gilbert as a special teamer. I think Layne is a project that I am optimistic about and I like what I see in Dionte Johnson, but just not sure if he can play outside with NFL CB's that were all on scholarship in college.

That might be the key to this whole class. If Johnson can play the X and get open versus an NFL press, then they might have really got themselves a deep draft class...

zulater
04-29-2019, 10:57 AM

Most of our picks were going to slide completely through the draft unchosen by multiple thousands of sources!:yup::rofl2:

zulater
04-29-2019, 11:03 AM

And the beauty part is nobody remembers any of it - but if you can sell ads for it nothing succeeds like the excess of the NFL draft and the hot takes that are its fuel

Al Gore invented the internet! :nono: Of course he thinks he's God. :humble::rofl2:

polamalubeast
04-30-2019, 06:33 AM

cold-hard-steel
04-30-2019, 07:15 AM

I think "Timmy splinterhead Lumber" might contest that statement.

hawaiiansteeler
04-30-2019, 03:49 PM
I think "Timmy splinterhead Lumber" might contest that statement.

Timmy Lumber is yet another first ballot member of the Steelers Message Boards Hall of Shame :thumbsup:

HollywoodSteel
04-30-2019, 04:08 PM
I think it’s fun to get everyone’s opinion on the draft. Of course we won’t really know who’s right and who’s wrong for awhile, but that’s part of the fun in stepping out now to make predictions now, while explaining your rationale for making those predictions.

I don’t watch college football, so I’m especially interested in reading your opinions about all of it. I know that none of you have crystal balls, but I for one very much appreciate how much thought and effort many of you put in to all of this.

At this point, based on everything I’ve now read about each of our picks, I’m very optimistic that the front office did a pretty decent job of it all. I’m DEFINITELY convinced that we did the right thing in going after Bush. I choose to feel good about the rest of the picks as well... until time proves otherwise.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks to you guys who actually know your stuff when it comes to college talent for sharing all of your insights on this board. :)

hawaiiansteeler
04-30-2019, 04:39 PM
Adam Schein ‘Loves’ Steelers’ 2019 NFL Draft Class

By Matthew Marczi
Posted on April 30, 2019

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/04/adam-schein-loves-steelers-2019-nfl-draft-class/

HollywoodSteel
04-30-2019, 04:59 PM
Adam Schein ‘Loves’ Steelers’ 2019 NFL Draft Class

By Matthew Marczi
Posted on April 30, 2019

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/04/adam-schein-loves-steelers-2019-nfl-draft-class/

Color me naive, but I love reading stuff like this! Many experts seem to be really high on, not just Bush, but our entire draft. So I’m certainly willing to go into the preseason drinking the black and gold Kool-Aid! :)