PDA

View Full Version : what am I gathering from these Steelers picks ?

Dwinsgames
04-27-2019, 10:47 AM
from what I am seeing thus far one thing is clear they are after a culture change in the locker room ...

they may say we do not have a culture issue but these picks clearly indicate an emphasis on good character people in conjunction with good football player ...

that is something we all seen in years gone by but is something the team kind of gotten away from to some degree in recent years but it is now back to the forefront ...

want to be a Steeler , be a good citizen and good football player and you have a shot

AtlantaDan
04-27-2019, 11:13 AM
You can try to draft "good character" people but who knows how someone will react with some $$$ in their pocket after living on ramen for meals in college?

Bryant came with obvious red flags out of Clemson

But AB's initial rep was that he was first on and last off the practice field and did not really start acting out until he got his first big payday in 2012

And Bell may not have been the sharpest knife in the drawer but he had good enough character to be motivated to drop weight coming out of Michigan State to adapt his game to the pros

What I am gathering is the Steelers have dumped their best available athlete/player draft model and are clearly drafting for need with the Bush/WR/CB picks - not certain if that is a one time change in approach due to Ben's time drawing to a close or not :noidea:

IMO the old model would have resulted in Winovich being picked at the top of round three (Mark Kaboly was so depressed that did not happen he quit tweeting for the night after tweeting a photo of Winocvich's draft party when he was picked by the Pats and did not hang around online to comment on the Justin Layne pick) even if the need he would fill was not as great as those addressed by the first three picks

Dwinsgames
04-27-2019, 11:18 AM
AB had character concerns entering the draft , many claim that is why he lasted as long as he did

stillers4me
04-27-2019, 11:31 AM
Has a prima donna attitude, oh hell to the yeah....but nobody ever complained about his work ethic.

AtlantaDan
04-27-2019, 11:31 AM
AB had character concerns entering the draft , many claim that is why he lasted as long as he did

Yep - AB posted that scouting report in 2016 - whatever scout said Brown did not like to work obviously was flat out wrong

I will go with what Willie Colon said

This isn't the same Brown that Colon remembers when the receiver arrived in Pittsburgh as a sixth-rounder in 2010 hoping to prove himself. Colon played alongside Brown in 2011 and 2012, where he saw how he was "just built on being the best player he can be."

Unfortunately, that isn't the case anymore.

"I remember Antonio Brown when he showed up to the Pittsburgh Steelers with a garbage bag, an "Even Steven" haircut, and he was just built on being the best player he can be," Colon said. "Now he's turned into this somewhat of a prima donna."

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2016/06/30/steelers-wr-antonio-brown-still-bitter-about-2010-scouting-report/

It ended badly with AB but IMO predicting who will turn out to be a jackass once they get paid is not as easy as some might think

polamalubeast
04-27-2019, 11:42 AM
The steelers' culture since the retirement of Hines Ward and James Farrior was a major problem for the steelers and that just been worse and worse from year to year.

Talent is important and that's not what steelers missed in the last few years, but it's very hard to win when the culture is bad and the locker room is a circus.

If this is still the case for the next few years, Mike Tomlin must be fired.

polamalubeast
04-27-2019, 06:40 PM