PDA

View Full Version : Why Devin Bush was the ONLY logical Pick

Mojouw
04-26-2019, 10:09 AM
Take a look at the entire first round of the draft. It was basically, QBs, OTs, pass rushers, and defenders in the middle of the defense. Almost nothing else was drafted. Apparently I was quoted as saying something about that awhile back....anyways...moving on.

The 2019 NFL draft will be defined as the draft where NFL teams were desperate to throw off the timing of the pass-wacky air raid circuses cropping up around the league. They have decided to attempt to do that with LBs, pass rushers (including a renewed focus on penetrating DTs), and safeties. Not with outside CBs. An interesting trend and something to watch closely. Does the "shutdown CB" lose its place as one of the top defensive building blocks?

I suspect that the next round will be defined by a run on safety/dimebacker types and WRs.

Long story short, Devin Bush not only fills a massive hole on the Steelers roster but reflects the direction the game is moving towards.

polamalubeast
04-26-2019, 10:13 AM
Quantity is important, but quality has always been more important.

I like Colbert as GM, but sometimes I would like Colbert be more aggressive in the free agency or Draft, but yesterday he was.

Shoes
04-26-2019, 10:23 AM
I didn't like the thought of moving up in the draft even more so for a LB that didn't have many tackles. But I think it was a good move by the Steelers and don't think the cost was bad. Bush may prove to be a better choice than shazier.
It will be painful to watch R2 go by without a pick though.

i hope the Lions, Broncos and whoever picks Irv Smith will shit the bed all season long. :chuckle:

polamalubeast
04-26-2019, 10:25 AM
I didn't like the thought of moving up in the draft even more so for a LB that didn't have many tackles. But I think it was a good move by the Steelers and don't think the cost was bad. Bush may prove to be a better choice than shazier.
It will be painful to watch R2 go but without a pick though.

At least the steelers have a pick early in the 3rd round.

GBMelBlount
04-26-2019, 12:20 PM
At least the steelers have a pick early in the 3rd round.

Isn't there supposed to be some good value at the end of the 2nd and beginning of the third round?

I wonder if they bundle their 5th or 4th with their second 3rd round pick to get another pick in that sweetspot of value.

Fire Goodell
04-26-2019, 01:51 PM
Can't wait for the training camp battle between Bush and Barron. Barron is no slouch. Worst case scenario we have a deep ILB roster. Vince and Bostic can handle the buck, Devin and Barron at mack

- - - Updated - - -

Isn't there supposed to be some good value at the end of the 2nd and beginning of the third round?

I wonder if they bundle their 5th or 4th with their second 3rd round pick to get another pick in that sweetspot of value.

Historically we've landed really good picks about 50% of the time in round 3. We got 2 this year so that's a good thing :chuckle:

AtlantaDan
04-26-2019, 01:59 PM
After reading posts here and a number of media sites, FWIW I cannot recall when there has been less sniping about a first round pick by the Steelers - I suppose it helps that there was no doubt it was imperative to fix the 2018 cluster at ILB

Of course wait until Bush blows some assignments, at which point he can join the 2003 version of Troy as a bust

Born2Steel
04-26-2019, 02:17 PM
Everybody on the entire planet knew the Steelers goal in the first round was a Devin. Since White was always considered out of reach Bush was the only real target. Time will tell if he was worthy or not but Colbert had a plan and did what it took to make it happen. Good job by Colbert, good job by the Broncos for making the deal. And to answer the offseason long question, NO Bush would not have fallen to 20.

hawaiiansteeler
04-26-2019, 02:24 PM
Take a look at the entire first round of the draft. It was basically, QBs, OTs, pass rushers, and defenders in the middle of the defense. Almost nothing else was drafted. Apparently I was quoted as saying something about that awhile back....anyways...moving on.

Long story short, Devin Bush not only fills a massive hole on the Steelers roster but reflects the direction the game is moving towards.

have you heard from munchy yet about your idiotic statement regarding Bush being a top 10 player? :rofl2:

- - - Updated - - -

Everybody on the entire planet knew the Steelers goal in the first round was a Devin. Since White was always considered out of reach Bush was the only real target. Time will tell if he was worthy or not but Colbert had a plan and did what it took to make it happen. Good job by Colbert, good job by the Broncos for making the deal. And to answer the offseason long question, NO Bush would not have fallen to 20.

Bush was getting picked at #11 by the Bungals...

polamalubeast
04-26-2019, 03:16 PM

hawaiiansteeler
04-26-2019, 03:52 PM
Of course wait until Bush blows some assignments, at which point he can join the 2003 version of Troy as a bust

all you have to do is change one letter to get "Bust"

Born2Steel
04-26-2019, 04:33 PM

Same concept and you also get The BUS!

DesertSteel
04-26-2019, 05:46 PM
Devin Bust -- it has a nice ring to it...

steelreserve
04-26-2019, 05:46 PM

The 2019 NFL draft will be defined as the draft where NFL teams were desperate to throw off the timing of the pass-wacky air raid circuses cropping up around the league. They have decided to attempt to do that with LBs, pass rushers (including a renewed focus on penetrating DTs), and safeties. Not with outside CBs. An interesting trend and something to watch closely. Does the "shutdown CB" lose its place as one of the top defensive building blocks?

I think it already is that way, it just has taken a while for teams/people to realize.

The way I see it is this - 15 or 20 years ago, the passing game had a lot more to do with "can your best guy beat their best guy?" Now, it's got as much to do with that as with "did my scheme trick them into the wrong matchup," or "did I diagnose the defense correctly so that I could have my QB throw to a spot with machine-like precision, and my third WR was there wide open?"

I mean, that chess match has always been going on for as long as they've had football, but it has become so much more refined to almost a military level of organization, and offensive formations so geared toward it, that the metagame is what's front and center. And increasingly, what's important is having guys across the board who can execute, and your "best player" is just a modifier on that. On offense at WR and on defense at DB. More so on defense, you are only as good as the WORST player in your defensive backfield, since if the #1 WR is covered by your shutdown corner, they'll simply kill you with whichever receiver is up against your weakest link.

The ability to do that used to be the mark of a "special" talent at QB, or a particularly gifted offensive coordinator; now it's just table stakes. And you're absolutely right that not only does it NOT just involve being solid at the #1 and #2 CB positions anymore, or even all three CBs, or even your entire defensive backfield. The guys in the middle can't let you down either, and you have to make that a priority now.

pczach
04-26-2019, 05:47 PM
have you heard from munchy yet about your idiotic statement regarding Bush being a top 10 player? :rofl2:

Munchy has been suspiciously absent and dead silent on the subject.

Maybe he's busy cleaning his floors.....

https://media.giphy.com/media/NUKXPiKO9wMjX98aOV/giphy.gif

polamalubeast
04-26-2019, 06:35 PM

hawaiiansteeler
04-26-2019, 07:43 PM
SOURCE: The Steelers tried to move up even higher in the first round to get Devin Bush, talking with the Detroit Lions and Buffalo Bills, who had the eighth and ninth overall picks, respectively. They eventually found a dance partner with the Broncos at No. 10.

yup, the Broncos wanted TJ Hockenson and once he was gone they were willing to trade down expecting their next TE target Noah Fant to still be available at #20.

kudos to both organizations for getting exactly what they wanted in this trade.

st33lersguy
04-26-2019, 09:53 PM
Steelers needed to make this pick. Bush provided the best chance at a Super Bowl and they needed someone with an edge to him. No guarantee he was going to succeed but he gave the Steelers a better chance at a Super Bowl than whoever they were planning at 20

SteelMember
04-26-2019, 11:15 PM

Just shows that no matter how much you covet a player, you need to find that team willing to gamble with you and make a deal happen. 10 was their last chance... glad they kept the phones working. Now he just needs to play like troy and all will be well. :chuckle:

st33lersguy
04-26-2019, 11:17 PM
I heard they wanted to trade up to THREE to the jets to get devin white. They weren't willing to pay the ridiculous price to get that to happen

munchy
04-26-2019, 11:22 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Bush was getting picked at #11 by the Bungals...

actually i was told bush would be picked before white and no positions like TE or DT would be taken before him either. so coveted that every team would be trying to trade up for him

munchy
04-26-2019, 11:28 PM
Munchy has been suspiciously absent and dead silent on the subject.

Maybe he's busy cleaning his floors.....

https://media.giphy.com/media/NUKXPiKO9wMjX98aOV/giphy.gif

i was trying to take the high road and let it go but seeing you guys brought it up....................Dude is the most prized commodity outside of edge rusher, LT, and QB. He is gonna go high

teegre
04-26-2019, 11:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXhKzY0BKwY&app=desktop

Mojouw
04-27-2019, 12:01 AM
i was trying to take the high road and let it go but seeing you guys brought it up....................Dude is the most prized commodity outside of edge rusher, LT, and QB. He is gonna go high

So....uuuuhhhh....yeah. Isn’t that what happened?

hawaiiansteeler
04-27-2019, 12:03 AM
He is gonna go high

I would say having a team want you enough to trade up into the Top 10 for you is pretty high.

pczach
04-27-2019, 05:06 AM

"Trying to take the high road"?

Suuuuuuure you were.

Look, when you say bold things like you did against a quality poster like you did.....you're going to hear about it. If you simply disagreed with what he said and made an argument without trying to disembowel and embarrass him, nobody would have said a word. You tried to show him up and now you're getting blowback.

What don't you get about that?

You're not blackballed from the message board. Just use more discretion. We are going to have some fun at your expense. Everyone would do the same to me if I did what you did.

Six Rings
04-27-2019, 08:26 AM
The defense has not been quite the same since Shazier's injury, and I think this trade up happened because of it. Our ILB's are very poor. Slow, and nonplayer maker types.

Bush will need to prove he's at least a Lawerence Timmons type of player for this trade to be worth it. Expecting him to be another Ryan Shazier is asking too much, but it would be nice if he can be that type of player.

We could have selected a good ILB in round two or three. Pratt for example.

I would have rather kept the second round pick this year, and a third-round pick next year. The last time I remember Colbert moved up in round one was to select Troy and that worked out nicely, but the cost was a 3rd and a 6th, not a 2nd and a 3rd. I guess Colbert thinks we have a three year window to get it done and solving this problem and turning it into a strength was worth it. Once Ben retires, get ready for .500 football until we found our next franchise QB.

hawaiiansteeler
04-28-2019, 08:09 PM
Devin Bush Has Primanti Bros. As First Official Meal In Pittsburgh

https://cbspittsburgh.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/devin-bush-primanti-bros..jpg

BlackAndGold
04-28-2019, 08:54 PM
Glad i'm not an athlete that gets picked first by the Steelers, I'd be disliked the first day because no way I'm eating that sandwich.
Looks disgusting with the cole slaw :puke:

DesertSteel
04-28-2019, 09:15 PM
Devin Bush Has Primanti Bros. As First Official Meal In Pittsburgh

O
He just lost a tenth of his 40 time with that sammich!!

steelreserve
04-28-2019, 10:40 PM
Glad i'm not an athlete that gets picked first by the Steelers, I'd be disliked the first day because no way I'm eating that sandwich.

I thought so too, it's one of those things that looks and sounds disgusting, but you just have to know that it's one of those places where you have to trust them and everything turns out good.

slashsteel
04-28-2019, 11:29 PM
Always thought it was overrated, not that I didn't like the idea. The taste to me is average in comparison to some other places. Like Peppi's for one.

AtlantaDan
04-29-2019, 07:55 AM
According to Peter King the Steelers were fortunate that John Elway did not think enough of Devin Bush to go with his initial plan to use the #10 pick for Bush and did not agree to let the Giants trade up to #10

Things you should know about the Denver Broncos:

If they didn’t trade the 10th overall pick to Pittsburgh on Thursday, they were taking Devin Bush (the player Pittsburgh traded up to grab) at 10, not Noah Fant (the tight end the Broncos drafted after trading down)....

Denver had the Giants and Falcons on the phone during the trade with Pittsburgh. The Giants made a competitive offer, Elway said, but not as good at Pittsburgh’s … and the Steelers, by the way, stonewalled Elway when Denver pushed for a first-rounder in 2020.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/29/nfl-draft-fmia-peter-king/?cid=nbcsports

(https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/29/nfl-draft-fmia-peter-king/?cid=nbcsports)

polamalubeast
04-30-2019, 12:15 PM
Gerry Dulac grades, analyzes the Steelers' 2019 draft class

Not many people remember the Steelers’ draft of 2003 for getting a cornerback from a small Louisiana school named Ike Taylor in the fourth round or a backup quarterback named Brian St. Pierre in the fifth.

That’s because the most memorable aspect of that draft was the player they took with their first pick. And how they obtained him.

The Steelers traded with the Kansas City Chiefs to move up 11 spots in the draft to get safety Troy Polamalu, a player they felt could change the landscape of their defense and help them win a Super Bowl. They were right on both fronts.

Polamalu helped them win two Super Bowls — in 2005 and 2008 — on his way to becoming a future Hall of Famer. And he did it with spectacular, jaw-dropping plays, none more significant than the interception return for a touchdown that sealed their AFC championship game victory against the Baltimore Ravens in 2008.

The Steelers drafted only five players in 2003 and just two of them — Polamalu and Taylor — became starters. But that draft will go down as one of their most memorable because of the player they took at the top and the manner in which they were able to attain him.

And so it is 16 years later with their 2019 draft class.

Nobody is going to bestow Polamalu-like status on Devin Bush, the Steelers’ No. 1 pick. Not yet, anyway. But he was obtained in the same manner — the Steelers moved up 10 spots in the draft to get him — for much the same reason as they got Polamalu: They were determined to get what they think is the missing piece in their defense.

If Bush becomes the difference-maker the Steelers believe, the 2019 draft class will be remembered in a similar vein for the dramatic move to get him. No matter what else happens with the other eight picks, the player at the top will define the success of this draft.

Here is a look at the nine draft choices with a corresponding grade, based on the roles they will play, the impact they could have, and how it may or may not have helped the Steelers.

read more

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2019/04/29/pittsburgh-steelers-2019-nfl-draft-class-grades-analysis/stories/201904290093