PDA

View Full Version : Steelers and Big Ben agree to new 3 year deal

Dwinsgames
04-24-2019, 02:14 PM
terms yet to be disclosed

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/24/steelers-ben-roethlisberger-agree-to-2-year-contract-extension/ (https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/24/steelers-ben-roethlisberger-agree-to-2-year-contract-extension/)

BlackAndGold
04-24-2019, 02:16 PM

hawaiiansteeler
04-24-2019, 02:30 PM
so much for the hometown discount...

Mojouw
04-24-2019, 02:34 PM
so much for the hometown discount...

I thought he would do anything to win. To quote a great poet "...But I won't do that!"

Dwinsgames
04-24-2019, 02:37 PM
I thought he would do anything to win. To quote a great poet "...But I won't do that!"

Meatloaf .............

smokin3000gt
04-24-2019, 02:38 PM
I can't blame Ben.. when he sees scrub QBs pulling in stupid money he's going to get his. Especially since this is his last paycheck

munchy
04-24-2019, 03:13 PM
good for him. it isnt like they would spend it on any good FAs anyways.

AtlantaDan
04-24-2019, 03:32 PM

Further details from Schefter

The $68 million apparently includes the $5 million roster bonus for 2019 that Ben already earned

So much for Ben's new deal providing cap relief for Ju-Ju's new deal that presumably will be negotiated before the 2020 season and Watt's new deal prior to 2021

steelreserve
04-24-2019, 03:49 PM
Well that's a hell of a lot of money.

This also guarantees that, barring injury, we go into the 2021 offseason having to decide whether to offer Rudolph a sizable contract, without knowing whether he is a potential starter or just some clown.

There will be no smart-drafting QB salary cap bonus for us, unless it's with some QB who's still in high school. A little worrisome, since I think something like 12 out of the last 14 Super Bowl participants had their QB at a substantial discount, the only exception being Peyton Manning twice.

AtlantaDan
04-24-2019, 03:56 PM
Well that's a hell of a lot of money.

This also guarantees that, barring injury, we go into the 2021 offseason having to decide whether to offer Rudolph a sizable contract, without knowing whether he is a potential starter or just some clown.

There will be no smart-drafting QB salary cap bonus for us, unless it's with some QB who's still in high school. A little worrisome, since I think something like 12 out of the last 14 Super Bowl participants had their QB at a substantial discount, the only exception being Peyton Manning twice.

Yep - discouraging to believe a third round draft pick who probably now will not have a realistic shot at starting until 2022 was selected last year as insurance in the event someone who is given to binges of free association during his Tuesday morning radio appearances might follow through on previous ramblings that he might retire

Born2Steel
04-24-2019, 04:07 PM
I can’t tell if you guys think this is good news or bad news.

DesertSteel
04-24-2019, 04:09 PM
I have an idea that Ben will miss some games due to injury the next three years and Rudolph will see extended action.

Buckinnuts
04-24-2019, 04:09 PM
3 yr...wasnt that what pouncey signed? Ben said as long as Pouncey is still here he will be too.. good lets get it right this season

steelreserve
04-24-2019, 04:33 PM
Yep - discouraging to believe a third round draft pick who probably now will not have a realistic shot at starting until 2022 was selected last year as insurance in the event someone who is given to binges of free association during his Tuesday morning radio appearances might follow through on previous ramblings that he might retire

I know those words, but I'm not entirely sure what you said.

While it is no great tragedy if our third-round pick does not turn into a franchise QB, since most don't ... it did seem like Rudolph was a bit more than your usual "what the hell" selection for a backup and maybe we had some kind of plan for that.

The timing simply puts us in an awkward position where both his and Ben's contracts expire at the same time, and we will have no QB under contract and most likely no solid understanding of what Rudolph can do in a real game. Lots of things can happen there:

- Waste a draft pick on somebody else

- Same as above, only let the good QB go and keep the shitty one

- Sign Rudolph thinking he'll be the starter and he turns out to suck

- Franchise Rudolph for 2022 and then he turns out to suck

- Franchise Rudolph for 2022 and then he has one pretty-good year and the story of the offseason is "omg how much is Mason Rudolph's contract going to be, he'll smash all the guaranteed money records" and then he sucks after signing a $30M deal

- Rudolph turns out to be Andy Dalton and you're stuck getting strung along for 7-8 years of just above mediocrity (admittedly this could happen anyway)

- Panic trade two #1 picks or more to move up in the draft for a QB

Most of those things could be avoided to some degree if you a) know who you have, or b) your big gamble is on a guy who is not carrying huge draft or cap implications. But it does not look loke that will happen - option B because of the contract timing, amd option A because our backups don't even get on the field at all unless there's an injury.

stillers4me
04-24-2019, 04:42 PM

- - - Updated - - -

AtlantaDan
04-24-2019, 05:32 PM
I know those words, but I'm not entirely sure what you said..

I will try again

The Steelers had holes on the roster that might have been addressed with the third round pick used on Rudolph - I recall Ben more or less joined others in saying that

Regardless of whether the Steelers actually had a first round grade on Rudolph I doubt they would have drafted him if Ben had not been thinking out loud about retiring rather than going with the more recent line that he hopes to play into the early 2020s

With Ben’s new contract the Steelers now will have to pay up to keep Rudolph past his rookie deal with no probable idea whether Rudolph will be worth starter’s $$$

Given these developments drafting the heir apparent at QB would be the smart move for the 2020 draft, not the 2018 draft - but Radio Ben’s ramblings encouraged what happened instead

Dwinsgames
04-24-2019, 05:34 PM
Right now Ben is probably sending 1 last text to AB saying hey dude thanks for abandoning all the cash you have on contract in Pittsburgh , I am putting it in my bank as we speak ....

BlackAndGold
04-24-2019, 05:56 PM
I wonder if Dobbs could be flipped for a #2 TE?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm still very happy with the Rudolph selecting. All it takes is one hit to change the direction of this team. Gotta have a #2 whom can be the guy someday. I like Rudolph's potential to be the guy someday.

Dobbs pick looks worse knowing they could've drafted Kittle but when your QB is talking retirement it puts these decision's in the teams hands, and knowing how important the position is I understand it at that time.

Mojouw
04-24-2019, 06:10 PM
So now we are complaining about drafting viable players for the most important position on the roster while extending the HOF starter that is still playing at a high level?

It’s like you just want to be upset.

AtlantaDan
04-24-2019, 06:24 PM
So now we are complaining about drafting viable players for the most important position on the roster while extending the HOF starter that is still playing at a high level?

It’s like you just want to be upset.

Yeah I am complaining about a win now team using a third round pick on an alleged future starter at QB who will not start until his rookie deal is done when the prevailing model is if you are drafting a starter you play him immediately

What I really am complaining about is the Steelers had legitimate reasons to do that because the bullshit artist at QB who is all about team first until it is time to not leave a nickel on the table when his deal is being negotiated gave the Steelers good reason to doubt how long he might be playing until he got that last big payday

Born2Steel
04-24-2019, 06:53 PM
Franchise QBs get paid. So long as Ben keeps playing at this level Mason Rudolph and all the rest can sit and rot on the bench. If there is one guy on this team I trust to put everything on his own shoulders and win a game, a season, a championship, it’s BenR rockstar. Let tomorrow happen as it happens. After what Bell and Brown pulled Ben is the only guy I trust on this team heading into tomorrow.

GBMelBlount
04-24-2019, 07:26 PM
Franchise QBs get paid. So long as Ben keeps playing at this level Mason Rudolph and all the rest can sit and rot on the bench.

If there is one guy on this team I trust to put everything on his own shoulders and win a game, a season, a championship, it’s BenR rockstar.

Let tomorrow happen as it happens. After what Bell and Brown pulled Ben is the only guy I trust on this team heading into tomorrow.

First, let me say there is nothing I want more than for Ben to put this team on his shoulders and win a championship.

While I agreed with you 15 years ago when Ben was young and hungry, now he is fat and happy, imo.

I hope I am wrong but I think due to his age and barely being in the top 1/4 of QB's, this huge contract for Ben will hurt the Steelers and will be regretted for the next several years due to simple economics and the opportunity cost.

Ugh. Sorry.

munchy
04-24-2019, 07:42 PM
First, let me say there is nothing I want more than for Ben to put this team on his shoulders and win a championship.

While I agreed with you 15 years ago when Ben was young and hungry, now he is fat and happy, imo.

I hope I am wrong but I think due to his age and barely being in the top 1/4 of QB's, this huge contract for Ben will hurt the Steelers and will be regretted for the next several years due to simple economics and the opportunity cost.

Ugh. Sorry.

same can be said for tomlin

GBMelBlount
04-24-2019, 07:43 PM
Yeah I am complaining about a win now team using a third round pick on an alleged future starter at QB who will not start until his rookie deal is done when the prevailing model is if you are drafting a starter you play him immediately

What I really am complaining about is the Steelers had legitimate reasons to do that because the bullshit artist at QB who is all about team first until it is time to not leave a nickel on the table when his deal is being negotiated gave the Steelers good reason to doubt how long he might be playing until he got that last big payday

I am REALLY feeling Dan's pain at the moment.

Again, nothing would make me happier than being wrong.

pczach
04-24-2019, 07:45 PM

I understand hoping that Ben would take a discount. I was hoping he would take less too. But knocking him for getting paid an appropriate amount of money and electing to be a volunteer and not a hostage is a little silly.

It's not like he held the team at gunpoint. If he was on the open market, a team would pay him close to $40 million per to sling the ball for their team. This isn't AB acting like a clown and trying to burn down the house when he still had multiple years on his contract.

He also didn't say a word when all the crap imaginable was thrown at him from AB and his cast of jagoffs supporting his lies. He sat back and took all the arrows without responding or turning anything onto the team. He wants to be here.

If you really thought Ben wasn't being anything but sarcastic when he said "Maybe I don't have it anymore" and mentioned the word retirement after a shitty loss and having to listen to the same criticisms from all the fans that love to bury Ben every chance they get.....you don't really understand the emotions of football, or you don't want to when it comes to Ben. The team did the same thing years earlier with Landry Jones when they could have used the draft pick to strengthen the roster around Ben. He didn't mention "retirement" back then, but the team still drafted a QB. Somehow, I'm sure that one was on Ben as well with fans. It couldn't have been a team philosophy or strategy....no. It must have been because Ben forced them to do it. He was pissed off after the Landry Jones pick too.

Some of the criticism he has to eat is beyond maddening. So now he's supposed to be one of the best players at his position, but he shouldn't ask for appropriate money? When he signed his deal, it seemed like a lot of money. As that contract is ending, it looks like a bargain. That's how it works.

GBMelBlount
04-24-2019, 07:49 PM
I understand hoping that Ben would take a discount. I was hoping he would take less too.

But knocking him for getting paid an appropriate amount of money and electing to be a volunteer and not a hostage is a little silly.

It's not like he held the team at gunpoint. If he was on the open market, a team would pay him close to $40 million per to sling the ball for their team.

This isn't AB acting like a clown and trying to burn down the house when he still had multiple years on his contract.

He also didn't say a word when all the crap imaginable was thrown at him from AB and his cast of jagoffs supporting his lies. He sat back and took all the arrows without responding or turning anything onto the team. He wants to be here.

If you really thought Ben wasn't being anything but sarcastic when he said "Maybe I don't have it anymore" and mentioned the word retirement after a shitty loss and having to listen to the same criticisms from all the fans that love to bury Ben every chance they get.....you don't really understand the emotions of football, or you don't want to when it comes to Ben. The team did the same thing years earlier with Landry Jones when they could have used the draft pick to strengthen the roster around Ben. He didn't mention "retirement" back then, but the team still drafted a QB. Somehow, I'm sure that one was on Ben as well with fans. It couldn't have been a team philosophy or strategy....no. It must have been because Ben forced them to do it. He was pissed off after the Landry Jones pick too.

Some of the criticism he has to eat is beyond maddening. So now he's supposed to be one of the best players at his position, but he shouldn't ask for appropriate money? When he signed his deal, it seemed like a lot of money. As that contract is ending, it looks like a bargain. That's how it works.

Ben is the number 8 ranked QB out of 32. Barely in the top quarter.

Who else is getting paid $40 million per year? I just don't see this Pzach.

pczach
04-24-2019, 07:56 PM
Ben is the number 8 ranked QB out of 32. Barely in the top quarter.

Who else is getting paid $40 million per year? I just don't see this Pzach.

You may rate him at number 8. I do not, and I don't think almost any NFL GM's do either.

When I said 40 million, I specifically said if he was on the open market. If he was a free agent, he would rake in close to 40. Franchise quarterbacks never hit the open market precisely because teams are smart enough to know that they are worth more than what they are actually paying them, and they are nearly impossible to replace. Every team that believed they were a quarterback away from winning a Super Bowl would be lining up for his services and throwing money at Ben, or any franchise QB.

It's just the way it is.

GBMelBlount
04-24-2019, 08:04 PM
You may rate him at number 8. I do not, and I don't think almost any NFL GM's do either.

When I said 40 million, I specifically said if he was on the open market. If he was a free agent, he would rake in close to 40. Franchise quarterbacks never hit the open market precisely because teams are smart enough to know that they are worth more than what they are actually paying them, and they are nearly impossible to replace. Every team that believed they were a quarterback away from winning a Super Bowl would be lining up for his services and throwing money at Ben, or any franchise QB.

It's just the way it is.

With one of the most complete offenses in the NFL he led the league in interceptions and we missed the playoffs.

Can you give me some examples of players Bens age that became free agents and set the market for salary at their position?

pczach
04-24-2019, 08:08 PM
With one of the most complete offenses in the NFL he led the league in interceptions and we missed the playoffs.

Can you give me a some examples of players Bens age that became free agents and set the market for salary at their position?

Can you give me some examples of franchise quarterbacks becoming free agents? Not damaged goods like Peyton Manning that could barely throw the ball, but guys still considered "franchise quarterbacks".

How much would Brady have gotten on the open market when he was Ben's age?

How much would Aaron Rodgers make on the open market if he were a free agent right now?

GBMelBlount
04-24-2019, 08:09 PM
Can you give me some examples of franchise quarterbacks becoming free agents? Not damaged goods like Peyton Manning that could barely throw the ball, but guys still considered "franchise quarterbacks".

How much would Aaron Rodgers make on the open market if he were a free agent right now?

I have no idea.

pczach
04-24-2019, 08:16 PM
I have no idea.

Exactly....but it would be a huuuuuuuuge number. That is the point.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you give me some examples of players Bens age that became free agents and set the market for salary at their position?

Aaron Rodgers buried his coach and led his team to a 6-10 record, but he's considered the best quarterback in the NFL and considered far better than Ben by most fans. I guess the top of the top quarter is held to a different standard.

I'm not coming at you. I simply want you to understand where I'm coming from.

GBMelBlount
04-24-2019, 08:24 PM
Exactly....but it would be a huuuuuuuuge number. That is the point.

- - - Updated - - -

Aaron Rodgers buried his coach and led his team to a 6-10 record, but he's considered the best quarterback in the NFL and considered far better than Ben by most fans. I guess the top of the top quarter is held to a different standard.

Bleacher report has Ben ranked 10th for 2018. That is pedestrian. And Aaron Rodgers is not even in the top 10.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2814564-ranking-the-top-quarterbacks-from-the-2018-nfl-season#slide0

Again, Ben was paid too much and it will hurt us imo. Hope I am wrong and you are right. :)

and I COMPLETELY respect you as a person Pzach and where you are coming from.

This is only my kneejerk opinion.

pczach
04-24-2019, 08:28 PM
Bleacher report has Ben ranked 10th for 2018. That is pedestrian. And Aaron Rodgers is not even in the top 10.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2814564-ranking-the-top-quarterbacks-from-the-2018-nfl-season#slide0

Again, Ben was paid too much and it will hurt us imo. Hope I am wrong and you are right. :)

Yes they are. But does anyone really believe Rodgers isn't better than that? That is also my point.

I also hope I am right and you are wrong! :tongue1:

Only time will tell.

Mojouw
04-24-2019, 08:32 PM

Peyton still got Top 1-7 yearly salaries from the Broncos from 2012-2015 (https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/2012/).

GBMelBlount
04-24-2019, 08:33 PM
Yes they are. But does anyone really believe Rodgers isn't better than that? That is also my point.

I also hope I am right and you are wrong! :tongue1:

Only time will tell.

Agreed. Here's to you & the Front Office (hopefully) being right! :drink:

pczach
04-24-2019, 08:47 PM
Peyton still got Top 1-7 yearly salaries from the Broncos from 2012-2015 (https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/2012/).

I know. I looked it up too!

Peyton got top money and he got $40 million guaranteed just for passing a physical on his surgically-repaired neck.

He did restructure the last 2 years of his contract taking a $4 million pay cut, but got it back with $4 million in incentives...….

Quarterbacks are the apex predators of the NFL.

Butch
04-24-2019, 08:49 PM
I don't put a lot of faith in rankings IMHO they are based as much on bias as they are anything else. This is why I don't like college football it's based on rankings and is as much about politics as anything else.

Leading the league in Int's is only a part of the over all picture, didn't he also lead the league in passing yards? One other point to consider is that one of his primary WRs was having issues that boiled over at the end of the year. Yes he points a finger at Ben but seems he was also at least a little bit jealous of Ju-Ju. Hopefully all of that drama is behind us now and I am excited to see how this year is going to play out.

I am seriously curious would you consider one more Superbowl win enough to justify Bens contract or would there need to be more?

Mojouw
04-24-2019, 08:52 PM
I know. I looked it up too!

Peyton got top money and he got $40 million guaranteed just for passing a physical on his surgically-repaired neck.

He did restructure the last 2 years of his contract taking a $4 million pay cut, but got it back with $4 million in incentives...….

Quarterbacks are the apex predators of the NFL.

Agreed. I still think that Ben is kinda full of crap because he says all this stuff about whatever it takes to win -- as long as it isn't his money! Although early math looks like they halved his cap hit for 2019, so maybe I should wait until the whole set of #'s comes out before I flame the guy. Maybe this deal looks one way on paper and sounds another way when my brain simply cramps up at the staggering size of the #'s!

pczach
04-24-2019, 09:00 PM
Agreed. I still think that Ben is kinda full of crap because he says all this stuff about whatever it takes to win -- as long as it isn't his money! Although early math looks like they halved his cap hit for 2019, so maybe I should wait until the whole set of #'s comes out before I flame the guy. Maybe this deal looks one way on paper and sounds another way when my brain simply cramps up at the staggering size of the #'s!

I have no idea if this is going to work out or not. I think he still has enough left in the tank to be successful, but one big injury...……:willy:

Shoes
04-24-2019, 09:00 PM
Well, with all that money Ben better play preseason football because the Browns are game 1 and Ben takes about 5 games to get warmed up before he starts slinging it.

pczach
04-24-2019, 09:04 PM
Well, with all that money Ben better play preseason football because the Browns are game 1 and Ben takes about 5 games to get warmed up before he starts slinging it.

You ain't lyin'!

GBMelBlount
04-24-2019, 09:06 PM
All fingers crossed.

polamalubeast
04-24-2019, 09:07 PM
I am confident if Ben stays healthy can be productive for his entire contract

That's a lot of money, but many other QBs will have the same salary or more than Roethlisberger soon

And the talent of the steelers has rarely been the problem of this team even though Ben has often had one of the biggest cap shot in the NFL .... the key to the success of the steelers is the draft and for all teams, especially with those with a QB with a big contract .....

Shoes
04-24-2019, 09:09 PM
I am confident if Ben stays healthy can be productive for his entire contract

That's a lot of money, but many other QBs will have the same salary or more than Roethlisberger soon

And the talent of the steelers has rarely been the problem of this team even though Ben has often had one of the biggest cap shot in the NFL .... the key to the success of the steelers is the draft and for all teams, especially with those with a QB with a big contract .....

Hey PB welcome back!

polamalubeast
04-24-2019, 09:14 PM

He led the league for the interception by only 1 and that's because Ben had 675 pass attempts (by far the highest in the league and his career) .... of course he can be better on that, but this stats is a bit misleading.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey PB welcome back!

Thank!

I hope the drama of the steelers will soon be over!

The time will surely fix things, especially if the locker room is not longer toxic.

Shoes
04-24-2019, 09:21 PM
He led the league for the interception by only 1 and that's because Ben had 675 pass attempts (by far the highest in the league and his career) .... of course he can be better on that, but this stats is a bit misleading.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank!

I hope the drama of the steelers will soon be over!

The time will surely fix things, especially if the locker room is not longer toxic.Not sure about that. I heard Ben is sporting a gold mustache after signing that big contract. :chuckle:

vasteeler
04-24-2019, 09:32 PM

Sorry Shoes...even worse NE is game one

Shoes
04-24-2019, 09:44 PM
Sorry Shoes...even worse NE is game one

Great! Not sure why I thought the Browns were the 1st game? :chuckle:

Craic
04-25-2019, 01:46 AM

Hey, it's been a while.

As to your post, while that may be true, a better tell is his interception percentage. With a list that has minimum of 14 passes per game (avg). Ben was tied for 18th out of 33. That's pretty close to middle of the pack. What is really interesting is he was only six spots behind Tom Brady. And, that is with Ben having to carry the load of the failed running game after James Conner essentially hit the rookie wall (I know, he wasn't rookie, but this was his first season carrying the RB load).

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
04-25-2019, 03:33 AM
Hey, it's been a while.

As to your post, while that may be true, a better tell is his interception percentage. With a list that has minimum of 14 passes per game (avg). Ben was tied for 18th out of 33. That's pretty close to middle of the pack. What is really interesting is he was only six spots behind Tom Brady. And, that is with Ben having to carry the load of the failed running game after James Conner essentially hit the rookie wall (I know, he wasn't rookie, but this was his first season carrying the RB load). I'm truly glad Ben signed and we have him for a few more years. What is overlook by the stats. is the crucial times he threw some of the ints.

hawaiiansteeler
04-26-2019, 04:12 PM
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/PVQR--S3BGCvt5syOfjiszh43U8=/0x0:1063x591/920x0/filters:focal(0x0:1063x591):no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/16194061/Ben_Roethlisberger.png

86WARD
04-26-2019, 04:33 PM
Bank of Ben...lol.