PDA

View Full Version : Latest Mock Draft

Mojouw
04-22-2019, 10:47 AM
https://steelersdepot.com/2019/04/valente-2019-mock-draft-1-0/

This one has Ferrell followed by Thornhill. Actually, working through the reasoning laid out by the author and I find it pretty compelling. One of the best attempts I've seen recently to get in Colbert's head.

Also, I keep forgetting about Teryll Austin. If he is going to be around for more than a year, I have far less problem taking raw DB prospects. Austin has a bit of track record in developing guys.

Shoes
04-22-2019, 11:16 AM
I would have no problem taking Ferrell in R1, in fact if he was still available I'd take him. Besides being a good pass rusher he seems to have strong leadership skills which is much needed. I was reading about the kicker Gay over the weekend, might be worth a shot. I believe he's a good punter also.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-22-2019, 11:23 AM
Is Ferrell a good prospect to convert to OLB in a 3-4 or is his game better suited to 4-3 DE?

I'm not a big fan of taking a Safety in the 2nd round after taking one in the 1st last year. Could think of several more positions to upgrade with 2nd round pick than Safety.

Born2Steel
04-22-2019, 11:42 AM
Is Ferrell a good prospect to convert to OLB in a 3-4 or is his game better suited to 4-3 DE?

I'm not a big fan of taking a Safety in the 2nd round after taking one in the 1st last year. Could think of several more positions to upgrade with 2nd round pick than Safety.

With this being Davis’ contract year I have no problem taking a FS early.

BlackAndGold
04-22-2019, 12:02 PM
Going to put out my mock tomorrow or Wednesday but Ferrell is in the conversation. Colbert and Tomlin and Keith Butler were at Clemson's pro day. Productive player, underclassman, may be irrelevant but a Virginia native like Tomlin.

I'll post again just to round out the schools that the Steelers sent the house to during pro days. In the past year this was the trend whom they select round one. Doesn't mean they won't go in a another direction though.
Michigan: Bush, Winovich?(had dinner with him which they did with former first round picks but he's 24 years old, they don't take those older players in round one but who knows?.
Clemson: Ferrell, Wilkins, Dexter Lawrence, Mullen
LSU's: White, Williams

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-22-2019, 12:02 PM
With this being Davis’ contract year I have no problem taking a FS early.

I just see the likelihood of upgrading spots like TE, ILB, WR or CB (as Joe Haden in his 10th NFL season) as such a bigger priority than another safety. Tomlin loves his Virginia guys, so I can see it happening, but I still think it leaves glaring weaknesses on the team for another season of hopefully 10-6 football.

teegre
04-22-2019, 12:07 PM
R1: a pass rusher makes sense

R2: I, too, wish Savage would be available. Alas. That said, Thornhill is a turnover producer (which is what this team needs).

R3: Boykin visited and makes a ton of sense.

R3: Everything indicates that Long is a target in this draft.

R4: need (the school has a good pedigree)

R5: more of a KR, but that’s not a bad thing.

R6 & R7: Mack visited; I know nothing about Homer; and, taking that kicker would be “Gay”.

BlackAndGold
04-22-2019, 12:13 PM

Ferrell can stand up and at Clemson he showed he can drop into coverage. but the past two years the OLB's have been dropping less overall. I'll assume that continues.

Clemson EDGE Clelin Ferrell Contextualization: 2018 Career Key Defensive Plays
https://steelersdepot.com/2019/04/clemson-edge-clelin-ferrell-contextualization-2018-career-key-defensive-plays/

Player Profiles: Clemson EDGE Clelin Ferrell
https://steelersdepot.com/2019/04/2019-nfl-draft-player-profiles-clemson-edge-clelin-ferrell/

Think a better and bigger Carl Lawson whom the Bungals drafted 2 years ago. Imo he should've been a late first round pick. Was becoming a star before he tore his ACL.

Career – 166 tackles, 84 solo, 50.5 TFL, 27 sacks, 5 PBU, 1 FR for TD, 5 FF
2018 – 55 tackles, 29 solo, 20 TFL, 11.5 sacks, 2 PBU, 1 FR for TD, 3 FF
3 year starter with 44 starts in 44 games
Two-time, first-team AP All-American
2018 Ted Hendricks Award, awarded to the nation’s top defensive end; ACC Defensive Player of the Year
Team Captain

He's one hell of a player. OLB is a need that had to be addressed with Dupree likely in his last year.

teegre
04-22-2019, 12:23 PM
Unless they trade up in round one I see Savage being a guy they move up for in round 2. They play a lot of dime so the need for 3 safeties is there. And also I'm not sure Sean Davis has a future here. He's not bad but they need playmakers and Savage did that at Maryland.

:nod: Savage is (ahem) a beast.

BlackAndGold
04-22-2019, 12:28 PM
In the past two drafts the Steelers went back to back picks with players that played at the same schools, wonder if that continues?

Sutton/Dobbs from Tennessee (Well Connor went between them but just roll with it)
Washington/Rudolph from OK State

Maybe this year it's David Long Jr and David Sills from West Virginia in round three?

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-22-2019, 12:29 PM
Ferrell can stand up and at Clemson he showed he can drop into coverage. but the past two years the OLB's have been dropping less overall. I'll assume that continues.

Clemson EDGE Clelin Ferrell Contextualization: 2018 Career Key Defensive Plays
https://steelersdepot.com/2019/04/clemson-edge-clelin-ferrell-contextualization-2018-career-key-defensive-plays/

Player Profiles: Clemson EDGE Clelin Ferrell
https://steelersdepot.com/2019/04/2019-nfl-draft-player-profiles-clemson-edge-clelin-ferrell/

Think a better and bigger Carl Lawson whom the Bungals drafted 2 years ago. Imo he should've been a late first round pick. Was becoming a star before he tore his ACL.

Career – 166 tackles, 84 solo, 50.5 TFL, 27 sacks, 5 PBU, 1 FR for TD, 5 FF
2018 – 55 tackles, 29 solo, 20 TFL, 11.5 sacks, 2 PBU, 1 FR for TD, 3 FF
3 year starter with 44 starts in 44 games
Two-time, first-team AP All-American
2018 Ted Hendricks Award, awarded to the nation’s top defensive end; ACC Defensive Player of the Year
Team Captain

He's one hell of a player. OLB is a need that had to be addressed with Dupree likely in his last year.

Thanks, a lot of the comparisons I see are to 4-3 ends and I really only watched Clemson down the stretch to the Championship, so cant recall him playing in space much. Upgrading Dupree at OLB going forward would be something that will make the defense more impactful.

Born2Steel
04-22-2019, 12:30 PM
I just see the likelihood of upgrading spots like TE, ILB, WR or CB (as Joe Haden in his 10th NFL season) as such a bigger priority than another safety. Tomlin loves his Virginia guys, so I can see it happening, but I still think it leaves glaring weaknesses on the team for another season of hopefully 10-6 football.

I could see taking a safety early, CB(Haden and Burns), OLB(likely Bud’s last year),ILB, TE(if Hockenson is there at 20), or WR. RB is possible too considering how many they brought in but I’m thinking(hoping) 2nd third or later.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-22-2019, 12:34 PM
I could see taking a safety early, CB(Haden and Burns), OLB(likely Bud’s last year),ILB, TE(if Hockenson is there at 20), or WR. RB is possible too considering how many they brought in but I’m thinking(hoping) 2nd third or later.

There is some talk that Hockensen isn't the receiving threat that Fant is and that he could drop. Saw some comparisons to Hunter Henry and Heath Miller of Hockenson, but I think he is faster than Miller was. I also can see Irv Smith Jr ending up in the top of the 2nd round. I still think RB is a day 3 target for the Steelers, as Ben is going to lead the league in pass attempts this season.

teegre
04-22-2019, 12:44 PM
There is some talk that Hockensen isn't the receiving threat that Fant is and that he could drop. Saw some comparisons to Hunter Henry and Heath Miller of Hockenson, but I think he is faster than Miller was. I also can see Irv Smith Jr ending up in the top of the 2nd round. I still think RB is a day 3 target for the Steelers, as Ben is going to lead the league in pass attempts this season.

Fant drops quite a few passes... I’d take Hockenson over Fant 100 times out of 100.

Shoes
04-22-2019, 12:58 PM

Hock will be gone by 20. I'd go Irv Smith in R2, he's already had a visit at NE

Mojouw
04-22-2019, 01:01 PM
Fant drops quite a few passes... I’d take Hockenson over Fant 100 times out of 100.

Plus he isn't a TE. So, if you just want a big WR -- draft a big WR....there are plenty of them in the draft.

Shoes
04-22-2019, 01:01 PM

Hock will be gone by 20. I'd go Irv Smith in R2, he's already had a visit at NE

hawaiiansteeler
04-22-2019, 03:27 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers:

4/22: Mike Tomlin loves Temple CB Rock Ya-Sin. - Peter King, NBC

I imagine that the Steelers wouldn't be able to pass on Devin Bush if he's available, but if he's off the board, Ya-Sin makes as much sense as anyone. It's possible that Ya-Sin could be the first cornerback off the board in what is one of the worst corner classes I've ever seen.

http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors/teamdraft/17-32#ixzz5lrFnpnlw

BlackAndGold
04-22-2019, 03:58 PM
Gut feeling it's going to one of Bush(duh), Ferrell, Greedy and the dark horses being Savage or Layne at #20.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-22-2019, 04:13 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers:

4/22: Mike Tomlin loves Temple CB Rock Ya-Sin. - Peter King, NBC

I imagine that the Steelers wouldn't be able to pass on Devin Bush if he's available, but if he's off the board, Ya-Sin makes as much sense as anyone. It's possible that Ya-Sin could be the first cornerback off the board in what is one of the worst corner classes I've ever seen.

http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors/teamdraft/17-32#ixzz5lrFnpnlw

I like Ya-Sin, but not sure that a 1 year starter at Temple is really ranking as the best CB in the class. Pretty risky IMO when compared to other players with a couple more years of tape put up. He has that wrestlers work ethic, as you don't become a state champion wrestler just on talent alone. The kid will know how to grind thru practice.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
04-22-2019, 05:52 PM
Gut feeling it's going to one of Bush(duh), Ferrell, Greedy and the dark horses being Savage or Layne at #20. I have a feeling it's going to be Greedy who I was pimping. I think it's a smoke screen the Steelers Brass had talks with Murphy and nothing with Greedy. I believe they learnt their lesson drooling all over William Jackson.

BlackAndGold
04-22-2019, 06:08 PM
I have a feeling it's going to be Greedy who I was pimping. I think it's a smoke screen the Steelers Brass had talks with Murphy and nothing with Greedy. I believe they learnt their lesson drooling all over William Jackson.

They were at LSU's pro day and Colbert and Tomlin were front and center during Greedy's workout. There seems to some questions about his character. He's also done no visits or workouts for any team.

teegre
04-22-2019, 06:12 PM
They were at LSU's pro day and Colbert and Tomlin were front and center during Greedy's workout.

:nod: Yep

They talked to him at The Combine and then a ton during LSU’s pro day (which was the only way anyone talked to him, because he’s held zero visits).

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
04-22-2019, 06:15 PM
They were at LSU's pro day and Colbert and Tomlin were front and center during Greedy's workout. There seems to some questions about his character. He's also done no visits or workouts for any team. Oh and haven't heard anything about his character issues.

- - - Updated - - -

:nod: Yep

They talked to him at The Combine and then a ton during LSU’s pro day (which was the only way anyone talked to him, because he’s held zero visits). That is odd on his part.

teegre
04-22-2019, 06:16 PM
That is odd on his part.

Not working out: I get. It can only really hurt your draft stock.

Not talking: That’s odd. Almost any job you get requires some sort of face-to-face interaction during the hiring process.

BEERgods225
04-22-2019, 09:50 PM
I see Savage and I like Savage but let me ask you this, Who has Tomlin had dinner with at their pro day and then never spoke of this person again? It seems to me that when Tomlin likes a player, you never hear about him until the pick. A la Ju Ju... shocked the world.

RD2 OLB Chase Winovich

I say that it's going to be a CB in RD1, then Winovich in RD2, followed by a S, WR, TE, & ILB in some order. Once again, I don't see them stressing the ILB position like we the fans are doing.

RD1 CB Byron Murphy - Washington (Although I'd prefer Greedy Williams - I'd love for our Secondary to be Greedy and Savage for the next decade!)
RD2 OLB Chase Winovich - Michigan
RD3 S Darnell Savage - Maryland
RD3 WR Riley Ridley - Georgia
RD4 TE Caleb Wilson - UCLA
RD5 LB David Long - Michigan
RD6 WR David Sills - West Virginia
RD6 LB Ben Burr-Kirven - Washington
RD6 RB LJ Scott - Michigan State
RD7 Anything is possible here: K, OG, DE, etc.

Born2Steel
04-22-2019, 09:50 PM
I keep trying to determine who is the big splash play guy that comes in his rookie year and makes that impact like Watt or JuJu. That is who I think the Steelers will take at 20. Winovich? Thornhill/Savage/Gardner-Johnson? AJ Brown/Hockenson? Is there a plan to go get Devin White or Brian Burns? They haven't signed Sensabaugh back or released Burns so Greedy/Murphy/Baker?

I think plan A is to try to get in play for White or Burns.(Depending on how the board is falling) Gil Brandt has Burns rated as his 21st ranked player in his top150 list but as the 5th OLB. If this holds true this draft the Steelers could be in play for one of Burns, Ferrell, or Sweat. Sweat has the heart issue which could make him fall down boards. Brandt compares Ferrell to Shaq Lawson which would be good for a Steelers pick. But if I had my choice I would take Brian Burns at 20 of those 3. White shouldn't make it out of the top 5-6 picks.