PDA

View Full Version : What Linebacker will the Steelers take if both Devins are gone?

Shoes
04-04-2019, 08:18 PM
Florida State outside linebacker Brian Burns

If the Steelers really want to upgrade their defense, they’ll resist the urge to use a first-round pick on an offensive player. By signing free agent corner Steven Nelson (https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/254482/steven-nelson), linebacker Mark Barron (https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/152655/mark-barron) and receiver Donte Moncrief (https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/245451/donte-moncrief), the Steelers are in position to select the best defensive player available should they have to select at No. 20.
And Burns very well might be the best player available at that point. The Steelers don’t necessarily need an outside linebacker this year, but there is some uncertainty at the position long term with Bud Dupree (https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/254442/alvin-dupree) looking like he will play on a $9.2 million fifth-year option on his rookie contract...
...It’s a pick that comes with some risk. The return might not be immediate – at least not in terms of his overall play. But Burns has the potential to become a Pro Bowl (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-pro-bowl) player.
It would be up to defensive coordinator Keith Butler and his staff to bring that out of him. The Steelers have lacked dynamic playmakers on defense. In addition to 23 sacks at Florida State, Burns had seven forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries in college. For a turnover-starved team like the Steelers, Burns could be the difference-maker they need.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/4/4/18293504/2019-nfl-mock-draft-with-both-devins-gone-the-steelers-take-a-surprise-lb-in-round-1-brian-burns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jld5aNjx9U

hawaiiansteeler
04-04-2019, 10:37 PM
if available, sure. Burns led the nation in QB pressures during the regular season.

something about his last name that makes me hesitate though...

Shoes
04-04-2019, 10:47 PM
if available, sure. Burns led the nation in QB pressures during the regular season.

something about his last name that makes me hesitate though...

:chuckle:

BlackAndGold
04-04-2019, 11:51 PM
I would be ecstatic if Burns is the pick at #20.

Watt and Burns going after QB's for the next 10 years....
https://media1.tenor.com/images/d2e9bfa069bf2d7ae004bf06126d1990/tenor.gif?itemid=10750389

BlackAndGold
04-04-2019, 11:56 PM
FWIW: I'm on the pass rusher bandwagon in round 1(unless Bush is indeed there at #20). Ferrell or Burns please.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-05-2019, 12:32 AM
Germaine Pratt in the 2nd or maybe David Long in the 3rd?

86WARD
04-05-2019, 05:43 AM
They aren’t going to be there at 20. The Bengals are going to make sure of it...just like they screwed them out of Jackson and stuck them with Burns, the Benagals will take a Devin and leave the Steelers grasping for straws again.

teegre
04-05-2019, 06:47 AM
They aren’t going to be there at 20. The Bengals are going to make sure of it...just like they screwed them out of Jackson and stuck them with Burns, the Benagals will take a Devin and leave the Steelers grasping for straws again.

That said, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Bengals drafted a QB at 11. Dalton is entering a “lame duck” season.

Fire Goodell
04-05-2019, 11:23 AM
Germaine Pratt or Gary Johnson

st33lersguy
04-05-2019, 11:28 AM
Isn't Burns just Bud Dupree by a different name?

Pick 20 is likely gonna be a reach, Winnovich or David Long I am thinking

Fire Goodell
04-05-2019, 12:03 PM

No. Burns has much better technique than Bud does, not really the same player.

Born2Steel
04-05-2019, 12:15 PM
If only focusing on ILBs for this, I would say either Mack Wilson or David Long. They attended both pro days. They have Long scheduled for a visit. I honestly give the edge to Long because of that but Wilson would not shock me.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-05-2019, 12:27 PM

They might as well reach deep and go Khalil Hodge then. :uhoh:

hawaiiansteeler
04-05-2019, 03:07 PM

both Winovich and Long at pick #20 would be reaches of epic proportions.

Fire Goodell
04-05-2019, 05:09 PM

Especially if Brian Burns is still on board

hawaiiansteeler
04-05-2019, 05:25 PM
Especially if Brian Burns is still on board

Burns is not a reach, my concern with him is that he won't be there anymore at #20.

and his last name of course :panic:

Fire Goodell
04-05-2019, 06:25 PM
Burns is not a reach, my concern with him is that he won't be there anymore at #20.

and his last name of course :panic:

I know, I wasn't meaning to say he was a reach, I'm saying if he's there and we take Winovich or something instead :(

And yeah as much as possible I'm not trying to be biased against his last name but it's hard :chuckle:

st33lersguy
04-05-2019, 06:39 PM

So were Edmund's and artie burned. It's been a bit of a trend

BlackAndGold
04-05-2019, 06:40 PM

Mojouw
04-05-2019, 09:18 PM
Pratt sounds more and more like a fit for the team wants.

Born2Steel
04-05-2019, 10:10 PM
Pratt sounds more and more like a fit for the team wants.

Looking through ILBs this week and I really am starting to like Cashman from Minnesota. I put him in that same box with Wilson and Burr-Kirven in that they will probably never be run stuffing monsters but they play very well as cover LBs or blitzing pass rushers. Are we calling those 'Dimebackers' now? I think we can get an ILB/Dimebacker of this skill set in the 2nd/3rd round. Starting to think the Devins will be the only 1st round ILBs. Pratt is a converted Box Safety to ILB and I think there are about a dozen of those in this draft.

Mojouw
04-05-2019, 11:42 PM
Looking through ILBs this week and I really am starting to like Cashman from Minnesota. I put him in that same box with Wilson and Burr-Kirven in that they will probably never be run stuffing monsters but they play very well as cover LBs or blitzing pass rushers. Are we calling those 'Dimebackers' now? I think we can get an ILB/Dimebacker of this skill set in the 2nd/3rd round. Starting to think the Devins will be the only 1st round ILBs. Pratt is a converted Box Safety to ILB and I think there are about a dozen of those in this draft.

I'm starting to talk myself out of a first round ILB. Pratt or Long or insert preference here two rounds later might be less of dropoff than say DB or pass rusher.

Born2Steel
04-06-2019, 08:13 AM
I'm starting to talk myself out of a first round ILB. Pratt or Long or insert preference here two rounds later might be less of dropoff than say DB or pass rusher.

OLB/Edge has a good group at the top. Bosa and Allen are expected to become all pros early. Then you have the dropoff to Burns, Ferrell, Sweat, and Gary who all look like probable first round picks but each has a ‘needs to improve’ trait as well. Why did Polite fall off the radar? I forget, think it was something about his interview at the combine??? Anyway Polite is a beast edge rusher so I don’t count him out just yet either.

Mojouw
04-06-2019, 09:01 AM
OLB/Edge has a good group at the top. Bosa and Allen are expected to become all pros early. Then you have the dropoff to Burns, Ferrell, Sweat, and Gary who all look like probable first round picks but each has a ‘needs to improve’ trait as well. Why did Polite fall off the radar? I forget, think it was something about his interview at the combine??? Anyway Polite is a beast edge rusher so I don’t count him out just yet either.

Polite was apparently both a moron and an idiot whenever he opened his mouth at the combine. I think teams are concerned that he may be too dumb to pick up schemes but also a poor attitude and unable to function without constant supervision.

st33lersguy
04-06-2019, 09:11 AM
Is it me or is this ILB class incredibly weak this year?

DesertSteel
04-06-2019, 09:11 AM
The closer the draft gets the more I'm convinced the Steelers move up at least 5 spots to take an impact player. Might be Burns.

Born2Steel
04-06-2019, 09:38 AM

Depends on what type of ILB you're looking for. There is no Shazier or Timmons in this draft. The closest is Devin White who can drop into zone coverage, run down plays sideline to sideline, and is an effective blitzer. However, every ILB in this draft is going to have issues with blockers. NFL blockers are going to chew these guys up. But honestly I don't think the Steelers need another run stuffer ILB(VW and Bostic) as much as they need a guy that can cover zone and/or run with a middle receiver in coverage. There are a few of these in this draft that 'could' upgrade the position. My opinion is Bush, Wilson, Cashman, and Burr-Kirven are all ILBs in this catagory.

But yes, compared to last year's draft class, this is a "weak" ILB class.

DesertSteel
04-06-2019, 01:29 PM

Not a great draft year for our positions of need. These rankings place CB next to last (10th) and ILB dead last (11th).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001024108/article/2019-nfl-draft-ranking-position-groups-strongest-to-weakest

Born2Steel
04-06-2019, 03:46 PM
Not a great draft year for our positions of need. These rankings place CB next to last (10th) and ILB dead last (11th).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001024108/article/2019-nfl-draft-ranking-position-groups-strongest-to-weakest

According to that going OL/DL/Edge will bring the highest first round prospect value. Maybe the goal is Burns or Ferrell.

teegre
04-06-2019, 04:34 PM
When Ben retires, so will Pouncey & Foster. If we win the Super Bowl this upcoming season, I could see all three retiring. So, instead of reaching for a LB, how about:

Garrett Bradbury, OG/OC, NC State

I know that I’m rationalizing; it makes little sense to draft him. Or, does it. :wink02: Regardless, I say say this every draft about an OG, but I reeeally like this kid.

hawaiiansteeler
04-06-2019, 05:00 PM
When Ben retires, so will Pouncey & Foster. If we win the Super Bowl this upcoming season, I could see all three retiring. So, instead of reaching for a LB, how about:

I know that I’m rationalizing; it makes little sense to draft him. Or, does it. :wink02: Regardless, I say say this every draft about an OG, but I reeeally like this kid.

not with BJ Finney waiting in the wings, we're in win now mode and need to draft someone who can make an immediate impact while Ben is still playing.

BlackAndGold
04-06-2019, 06:34 PM
The closer the draft gets the more I'm convinced the Steelers move up at least 5 spots to take an impact player. Might be Burns.

I expect one or two trades from the Steelers. There is no need to keep 10 picks.

teegre
04-07-2019, 10:12 AM
not with BJ Finney waiting in the wings, we're in win now mode and need to draft someone who can make an immediate impact while Ben is still playing.

OGs... oh geez,
I want guard to lay smash blocks forever.
At least a hundred a game!!!
Oh, by the way...

I want it today.
I want it tomorrow
I want it NOW!!!

Born2Steel
04-07-2019, 11:49 AM

By that same rationale taking an OLB to replace Bud Dupree after 2019 is also in play. His $9M 5th year option may very well be his last in a Steelers uniform. I doubt Chickillo is the long term answer either.

Foster said that he was playing 10 years and then getting out. I'm taking him at his word. I expect the 2020 season to be Foster's farewell tour. There needs to be a well groomed replacement on roster at that time. I have zero problem taking a versatile OL this year to work his way into that group.

OC is a real issue. Once Pouncey does retire the dropoff is big at Center. Maybe one of these backups will fill it out but that does not appear to be the case currently. Depending on the board Bradbury may be the perfect selection, although the most non-sexy pick. What is your opinion on Deiter(3rd round?) from Wisconsin? More of OG or OC in the NFL?

BlackAndGold
04-07-2019, 01:01 PM
I'm not expecting Ben or Pouncey to retire anytime soon.

Mojouw
04-07-2019, 01:43 PM

Can't say I agree. The QB and the offensive and defensive lines are ready to win now, but not a single other unit on the team is. There are gaping holes at DB, LB (both ILB and OLB), TE, WR, RB, and K. That is a lot to ask the FA class and a handful of rookies to step-in and fill up. I believe that the 2019 Steelers can make a play-off push, but the team is a year or two away from being a serious SB threat.

Tough pill to swallow with Ben R, Haden, Foster, and Pouncey closer to the end than the beginning or even middle, but I just do not see enough proven NFL playmakers at key starting and back-up spots to take the roster (as presently constructed) seriously as a SB contender.

While I think Finney is a good player, I think that improving over him at a starting OG/C spot would be really really valuable.

Mojouw
04-07-2019, 02:09 PM
So here is my new ILB question.

Let's use a 1-5 scale:

5: All-Pro Level - Healthy Deion Jones level of impact
4. Impact Rookie - Darius Leonard level with Ryan Shazier long-term outlook (gets better each year until "breakout")
3. Developmental Starter - Plays a bunch rookie year, but can see that it will be a season or so before "breakout" -Vince Williams
2. Career Back-up/Spot Starter - Jon Bostic
1. Special Teams - Tyler Matekavich

So where does Devin Bush go on that? I'm going to guess about a 4? If that is the case, where is the next cluster of guys? Are there any hidden 4's? Or is a 3 enough?

Dwinsgames
04-07-2019, 04:32 PM
a mid round LB you all may want to get eyes on is Emeke Egbule from Houston ..... he may be the off ball linebacker solution we are looking for without having to pay a premium ( probably the middle rounds )

hawaiiansteeler
04-07-2019, 04:41 PM
While I think Finney is a good player, I think that improving over him at a starting OG/C spot would be really really valuable.

but in the first round with all the other more pressing immediate needs that we have?

Mojouw
04-07-2019, 05:03 PM
but in the first round with all the other more pressing immediate needs that we have?

It all depends on what is available. Like if at #20 there is the #3 WR, the #3 TE, the #5 edge rusher, the #3 ILB, and the #3 CB against the #1 Quentin Nelson/David DeCastro/Alan Faneca/Steve Hutchinson level OG -- is it really even a choice at that point?

The above scenario is almost totally impossible because it basically means that only WR/TE/ILB/CB are drafted plus 3 QBs prior to the Steelers selection, but I feel the overall thinking works. If most/all of the first tier guys are gone at a position of need but an amazing first tier player at a "non-need" position is just sitting there...why not?

Couple that with the idea that I do not think that a draft that was "need" focused and successful (meaning got highly regarded players for those needs) really changes much about 2019. I would focus on drafting the best football player who will make the biggest # of per game impact plays once they enter the starting line-up regardless of position.

Born2Steel
04-07-2019, 05:17 PM
So here is my new ILB question.

Let's use a 1-5 scale:

5: All-Pro Level - Healthy Deion Jones level of impact
4. Impact Rookie - Darius Leonard level with Ryan Shazier long-term outlook (gets better each year until "breakout")
3. Developmental Starter - Plays a bunch rookie year, but can see that it will be a season or so before "breakout" -Vince Williams
2. Career Back-up/Spot Starter - Jon Bostic
1. Special Teams - Tyler Matekavich

So where does Devin Bush go on that? I'm going to guess about a 4? If that is the case, where is the next cluster of guys? Are there any hidden 4's? Or is a 3 enough?

Honestly, I would put both Devins at level 3. But here's the thing, they still have the possibility of level 4. There is a huge pileup behind them of level 2/3 as well. It's my opinion only, the dropoff from Devin White to Devin Bush is bigger than the dropoff fron Devin Bush to Mack Wilson/David Long/Ben Burr-Kirven. AND Devin White is a dropoff from last year's LVE/Evans/Smith. There is a very real chance(I said chance) Devin White may be there at 15-20. Doubtful but there is a real chance.

Mojouw
04-07-2019, 05:28 PM
Honestly, I would put both Devins at level 3. But here's the thing, they still have the possibility of level 4. There is a huge pileup behind them of level 2/3 as well. It's my opinion only, the dropoff from Devin White to Devin Bush is bigger than the dropoff fron Devin Bush to Mack Wilson/David Long/Ben Burr-Kirven. AND Devin White is a dropoff from last year's LVE/Evans/Smith. There is a very real chance(I said chance) Devin White may be there at 15-20. Doubtful but there is a real chance.

If that is an accurate assessment of the situation, then I might move off the ILB position as a first round target. I know that this isn't always a popular opinion, but I would rather swing from my heels and try and find a guy that is a 4-5 type player than settle for lesser impact because I "need" something.

Like I said earlier, I'm really liking what I am hearing about Pratt. Basically the only consistent knock against the kid is that his reading of keys and reactions to traffic around the LOS are super basic. Well he only just started playing the position. Many reports talk about how he is the best in coverage among the ILB/Dimebackers in the draft class and he has that lateral agility sideline to sideline. I keep feeling like I am reading and watching a player that if he came out next year he would touted as an impact defender and a higher end prospect. I am having a hard time understanding why this guy isn't more popular. No one (at least that I can find on the internet) is saying he can't do it all at the ILB position. They are just saying that he doesn't do it well right now because he is inexperienced. Well...isn't that most rookies outside of the top 10-15 in each class? So draft the kid, let him learn behind some combination of Barron/Bostic/Edmunds/Marcus Allen and then unleash his refined techniques through sub-packages and limited roles Year 1 and he competes Year 2 for full-time snaps.

Then I free up earlier picks to go at other positions....but that is just me and I usually am way off on later round guys.

hawaiiansteeler
04-07-2019, 05:29 PM
There is a very real chance(I said chance) Devin White may be there at 15-20. Doubtful but there is a real chance.

I think the Steelers would try and trade up to get him if White were still available at 15.

Born2Steel
04-07-2019, 05:37 PM
a mid round LB you all may want to get eyes on is Emeke Egbule from Houston ..... he may be the off ball linebacker solution we are looking for without having to pay a premium ( probably the middle rounds )

Here is some game tape of Egbule. Looks like they play him in coverage or at OLB most snaps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdKj-YpW1Ak

I like the comparison to Tyus Bowser.
https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/emeke-egbule

Born2Steel
04-07-2019, 05:52 PM
Germaine Pratt:
https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/germaine-pratt

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/germaine-pratt?id=32195052-4163-5713-12ab-3117ec02a181

This is more of a highlight reel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8RGHWjMCc0

I love Pratt's size. He does not get moved backwards by the ball carrier. He hits a ton and through the tackle. He's a converted FS so I expect he has ball skills also.

pczach
04-07-2019, 05:56 PM
I wonder if Rashaan Evans is in play?

I was higher on him than most here last year. He was injured early, so he got no real game work until the third or fourth game of the season.Here's an interesting article talking about how well he played as the season progressed, and that he was one of the highest rated LBs in the NFL over the last few weeks of the season. He has been used as the #3 LB. Would they be interested in moving him?

https://www.al.com/sports/2019/03/titans-expect-rashaan-evans-to-take-some-jumps-in-second-nfl-season.html

Dwinsgames
04-07-2019, 06:00 PM
Here is some game tape of Egbule. Looks like they play him in coverage or at OLB most snaps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdKj-YpW1Ak

I like the comparison to Tyus Bowser.
https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/emeke-egbule

he doesn't really have the length to play on the outside in a 3-4 ( sure there are exceptions ) that is partly why I envision him moving inside and the coverage ability goes hand in hand with that .....

pczach
04-07-2019, 06:04 PM

I believe Devin White is going to be a great player. He's far and away the best ILB in this draft IMO. On the scale Mojouw listed above, I see him as a solid 4 with a chance to be a 5.

- - - Updated - - -

Germaine Pratt:
https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/germaine-pratt

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/germaine-pratt?id=32195052-4163-5713-12ab-3117ec02a181

This is more of a highlight reel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8RGHWjMCc0

I love Pratt's size. He does not get moved backwards by the ball carrier. He hits a ton and through the tackle. He's a converted FS so I expect he has ball skills also.

I like Pratt as well. I think he has a chance to be a good player. In some of my mocks, I have been taking Pratt and then double-dipping with Long later. I don't know if Long will still be available in the fourth, but that's where he has still been available in mock sims. If they use all 10 picks, I could see them hitting ILB with multiple picks.

teegre
04-07-2019, 10:38 PM
By that same rationale taking an OLB to replace Bud Dupree after 2019 is also in play. His $9M 5th year option may very well be his last in a Steelers uniform. I doubt Chickillo is the long term answer either.

Foster said that he was playing 10 years and then getting out. I'm taking him at his word. I expect the 2020 season to be Foster's farewell tour. There needs to be a well groomed replacement on roster at that time. I have zero problem taking a versatile OL this year to work his way into that group.

OC is a real issue. Once Pouncey does retire the dropoff is big at Center. Maybe one of these backups will fill it out but that does not appear to be the case currently. Depending on the board Bradbury may be the perfect selection, although the most non-sexy pick. What is your opinion on Deiter(3rd round?) from Wisconsin? More of OG or OC in the NFL?

I’d take the waterboy from Wisconsin to play on my O-line. :lol: Really though, they churn out O-lineman after O-lineman.

Born2Steel
04-08-2019, 07:37 AM
I’d take the waterboy from Wisconsin to play on my O-line. :lol: Really though, they churn out O-lineman after O-lineman.

Is there a ‘Bouchet’ on campus? :rofl2:

Fire Goodell
04-08-2019, 05:23 PM

Best blocker I seen since Joe Montana. In his first game he had 63 pancake blocks (NCAA record)

But was also penalized 5 times for blocking the referees by mistake

Leopardo
04-09-2019, 05:38 AM
It worries me that the Steelers have had very few visits or meetings with possible 2nd or 3rd round LB's. Seems like there's no plan B if Bush is already gone before they can make the pick. White is out of reach anyway.

teegre
04-09-2019, 07:22 AM
It worries me that the Steelers have had very few visits or meetings with possible 2nd or 3rd round LB's. Seems like there's no plan B if Bush is already gone before they can make the pick. White is out of reach anyway.

The entire organization was at WVU’s pro day (David Long).

Likewise, they all attended Clemson’s pro day (Tre Lamar).

Leopardo
04-09-2019, 08:49 AM

They've also met Mack Wilson and Ben Burr-Kirven, but that's what I mean with a few. No Germaine Pratt, Vosean Joseph, Te'Von Coney, T.J. Edwards, Tre Watson and Cameron Smith (he's a liability in pass coverage). Seeing they're meeting practically every WR and CB (I'm exaggerating a bit now), they're limiting their possibilities at LB.

Dwinsgames
04-09-2019, 09:09 AM

had to be at Clemson for someone other than Lamar ...

we do not need a 2 down linebacker we have lots of those

Lamar is tight hipped downhill thumper with minimal lateral agility and wont cover as good as VW

Born2Steel
04-09-2019, 09:20 AM
Nobody is talking about Blake Cashman at ILB. Analysts have him rated as high as 2nd round grade and low as 3rd round. Been looking for his name on a visit. Just curious why no buzz on Cashman.

BlackAndGold
04-09-2019, 10:02 AM

Lamar is tight hipped downhill thumper with minimal lateral agility and wont cover as good as VW

Believe they were looking at Clelin Ferrell for Clemson. (FWIW he's from Virginia, and Tomlin likes his local players)

Also, is there a such thing as a 2 down linebacker anymore? Should be a 1 down LB.

Mojouw
04-09-2019, 12:17 PM

Believe they were looking at Clelin Ferrell for Clemson. (FWIW he's from Virginia, and Tomlin likes his local players)

Also, is there a such thing as a 2 down linebacker anymore? Should be a 1 down LB.

Isn't there a corner at Clemson that might be of interest? Mullen, I think...

Born2Steel
04-09-2019, 12:45 PM

Don’t believe the hype. The Steelers were at Clemson to look at about 5-7 players. Maybe not all for pick 20 but there is definitely interest in the Clemson players. Depending on how the board sits and how the picks go down, Mullen and Lamar could both draw early interest. What does “stiff hips” even mean? Analysts use the strangest phrases to describe players. Stiff hipped, lateral agility/lateral burst, high motor, sinking in zone, a clean processor, contact balance, etc. It’s not that we don’t know what they mean but when I read posts using these phrases I know it’s mostly copying what some analyst has already posted. It’s simple to me. Watch some game film on a guy like Blake Cashman, then watch a couple on Germaine Pratt, next a couple of Devin Bush, now watch a couple games on Tre Lamar, put on Mack Wilson games, Devin White, get a feel for what they do well and will that help the Steelers. The round/value debate is pointless. BPA is how you build a winning roster.

BlackAndGold
04-09-2019, 01:51 PM

Yes Mullen too but I don't see them going corner.

Fire Goodell
04-09-2019, 02:19 PM
Nobody is talking about Blake Cashman at ILB. Analysts have him rated as high as 2nd round grade and low as 3rd round. Been looking for his name on a visit. Just curious why no buzz on Cashman.

Injury history I'm guessing. 2 surgeries on his shoulders last year would be enough to give pause to any team getting excited about him. As far as his intangibles though, he looks the role. Has the size and definitely the speed to play at the next level if he can stay healthy. I'd say if he's the type of player that can fall to later rounds and would be worth a flier on. I'd pass at round 2 or 3 though, and not sure if I'd take him over Long or Pratt.

Born2Steel
04-09-2019, 03:37 PM
Injury history I'm guessing. 2 surgeries on his shoulders last year would be enough to give pause to any team getting excited about him. As far as his intangibles though, he looks the role. Has the size and definitely the speed to play at the next level if he can stay healthy. I'd say if he's the type of player that can fall to later rounds and would be worth a flier on. I'd pass at round 2 or 3 though, and not sure if I'd take him over Long or Pratt.

That could be exactly why he’s not getting much hype. His surgeries were in 2017(both shoulders). He backed that up in 2018 with 104 tackles with 15 TFL in 12 games. I think all you have to do is watch his 2018 game tapes to be sold on his ability. I would hate to pass on a player of need with that much potential but I don’t have his medicals to peruse. Just saying I wouldn’t drop him just yet.

86WARD
04-10-2019, 07:33 AM
If both Devins are gone, they will take Terez Hall and Mark Barron will start.

DesertSteel
04-10-2019, 10:24 AM
I think the Steelers are comfortable with Barron starting if the Devins are gone and they can't trade up. I want IMPACT players regardless of position.

86WARD
04-10-2019, 11:21 AM
I think the Steelers are comfortable with Barron starting if the Devins are gone and they can't trade up. I want IMPACT players regardless of position.

That’s my thought as well. I think they’ve learned or had the lesson refreshed not to reach for position over BPA...

Born2Steel
04-10-2019, 12:08 PM
That’s my thought as well. I think they’ve learned or had the lesson refreshed not to reach for position over BPA...

I hope so too.

Hound
04-12-2019, 04:43 AM
If Russell Wilson and the Seahawks do not reach an agreement and have to use the the franchise tag, they won’t be able to use it on Bobby Wagner{only one franchise tag). I know there is way to many moving parts to predict what happens to Wagner. The Steelers though should have the most cap space they have ever had next offseason.

Hound
04-12-2019, 05:45 AM
https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/pittsburgh-steelers/