PDA

View Full Version : Steelers’ Mike Tomlin: ‘We can’t do this with hostages; we need volunteers’

hawaiiansteeler
03-25-2019, 07:24 PM
Steelers’ Mike Tomlin: ‘We can’t do this with hostages; we need volunteers’

CHRIS ADAMSKI | Monday, March 25

In his first public comments in almost 12 weeks, Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said of the offseason departures of Antonio Brown and Le’Veon Bell, “it’s probably best for all parties involved that we go our separate ways.”

Speaking Monday afternoon to reporters who traveled to Arizona for the annual NFL league meetings, Tomlin expressed contentment that two of his former All-Pro offensive stars were now the property of other AFC teams.

Wide receiver Brown was traded to the Oakland Raiders, and running back Bell signed with the New York Jets. Each, in his own way, had publicly expressed a strong desire to leave the Steelers.

“We can’t do this with hostages. We need volunteers,” Tomlin said, according to ESPN. “We need good players, good guys who want to be here. If guys can’t check those boxes, it’s probably best for all parties involved that we go our separate ways.”

Tomlin reportedly spoke with a small group of Pittsburgh-based reporters for 30 minutes — longer than he typically does at any other point during a given year. While Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert and president Art Rooney II have each had multiple interactions with media since Brown’s Week 17 fiasco and Bell’s long-awaited foray into free agency, this was the first opportunity for Tomlin to weigh in.

to read rest of article:

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers-mike-tomlin-we-cant-do-this-with-hostages-we-need-volunteers/

st33lersguy
03-25-2019, 08:27 PM
He's missing a piece, they need volunteers CAPABLE of doing the job. Someone who wants to be there is useless if they suck at what they are doing (this should sound obvious, but I think needs emphasized by this organization due to recent trends)

AtlantaDan
03-25-2019, 08:28 PM
Some other Tomlin comments from his sit down with Pittsburgh reporters at the league meetings

1110318794423975937:flame:

BlackAndGold
03-25-2019, 09:18 PM
I'm really excited for the 2nd year of Okorafor. Believe he can be the future left tackle of this team once AV is retired, until then I can see him being one hell of a right tackle. Great talent but just needs to be coached up, still just 21 years old.

When it comes to Burns, you shouldn't have reached. Burns was a panic move 100% after Cincy stole William Jackson. Should've made a move to get their guy.

Shoes
03-25-2019, 09:24 PM
Burns doesn't care either, he said last year if he gets traded he'll have a job somewhere else.

hawaiiansteeler
03-25-2019, 09:25 PM
I'm really excited for the 2nd year of Okorafor. Believe he can be the future left tackle of this team once AV is retired, until then I can see him being one hell of a right tackle. Great talent but just needs to be coached up, still just 21 years old.

When it comes to Burns, you shouldn't have reached. Burns was a panic move 100% after Cincy stole William Jackson. Should've made a move to get their guy.

I was screaming at the tv for us to select either Jaylon Smith or Myles Jack, when Artie Burns was chosen I just sat there in disbelief. a definite reach, it's what happens when you don't adhere to the BPA philosophy and pick for need instead.

steelreserve
03-25-2019, 09:45 PM
I was screaming at the tv for us to select either Jaylon Smith or Myles Jack, when Artie Burns was chosen I just sat there in disbelief. a definite reach, it's what happens when you don't adhere to the BPA philosophy and pick for need instead.

There were better CBs available straight-up, for that matter. I was kicking over garbage cans at the gas station because we skipped Mackenzie Alexander and Xavien Howard. We could've actually had BOTH Howard and Myles Jack if we'd taken the Cowboys' trade offer for that pick, I think. It was something like that.

Howard was a case where we let the pre-draft grades carry way too much weight and outsmarted ourselves. "omg he's rated a low second-round talent, you can't reach like THAT!" Well, except that we reached for someone completely off the radar who turned out to suck, so yeah.

Like, even drafting for need would have worked fine if we didn't pick the most retarded move available.

munchy
03-25-2019, 10:04 PM
didnt he already use that line a few months back?

hawaiiansteeler
03-25-2019, 10:10 PM
There were better CBs available straight-up, for that matter. I was kicking over garbage cans at the gas station because we skipped Mackenzie Alexander and Xavien Howard. We could've actually had BOTH Howard and Myles Jack if we'd taken the Cowboys' trade offer for that pick, I think. It was something like that.

Howard was a case where we let the pre-draft grades carry way too much weight and outsmarted ourselves. "omg he's rated a low second-round talent, you can't reach like THAT!" Well, except that we reached for someone completely off the radar who turned out to suck, so yeah.

Like, even drafting for need would have worked fine if we didn't pick the most retarded move available.

Xavien Howard sure would have been nice!

Mike Tomlin Sets Record Straight About Immediate Future Of Steelers CB Artie Burns

By Dave Bryan
Posted on March 25, 2019

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/03/mike-tomlin-sets-record-set-about-immediate-future-of-steelers-cb-artie-burns/

pczach
03-26-2019, 05:52 AM
didnt he already use that line a few months back?

Last time I checked, people were allowed to use the same words more than once in a lifetime.

Steeldude
03-26-2019, 08:21 AM
The Steelers also need good coaches.

vader29
03-26-2019, 09:14 AM

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-26-2019, 09:27 AM
Some other Tomlin comments from his sit down with Pittsburgh reporters at the league meetings

1110318794423975937:flame:

I honestly hope Hawkins comes thru and wins the RT job. That way Chuks can be the swing tackle and Feiler work more at guard. Hawkins has LT talent and athleticism, but at times at LSU, looked better as a run blocker and project to RT. I like the potential of Chuks being the LT to take over for AV in the future and Hawkins being the RT going forward, with Feiler to eventually replace Foster at LG.

As for Burns, I too was disappointed they didn't view him as a 3rd-5th round pick. I would have rather seen KC pick him and make the mistake as it was rumored they were interested in Burns.

DesertSteel
03-26-2019, 12:15 PM
Last time I checked, people were allowed to use the same words more than once in a lifetime.
Obviously.

steelreserve
03-26-2019, 12:26 PM
We would've done just as well if we'd used that draft pick on Ballsack Flanigan.

Fire Goodell
03-26-2019, 12:51 PM
We would've done just as well if we'd used that draft pick on Ballsack Flanigan.
:chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-26-2019, 12:53 PM

Nah, we didn't need that kind of dissention in the locker room. Wasn't that the sweaty guy that called out Ben in the media?

Fire Goodell
03-26-2019, 12:56 PM
Nah, we didn't need that kind of dissention in the locker room. Wasn't that the sweaty guy that called out Ben in the media?

Yeah and all his passes were dong completions (cb slipped in the wet turf, safety forgot his assignment and let the receiver blow by, LB covering a WR, dump offs to RB), completions should only legitimately count if the receiver is covered by a pro bowl or all-pro CB, or thrown into triple coverage.

steelreserve
03-26-2019, 01:02 PM
Yeah and all his passes were dong completions (cb slipped in the wet turf, safety forgot his assignment and let the receiver blow by, LB covering a WR, dump offs to RB), completions should only legitimately count if the receiver is covered by a pro bowl or all-pro CB, or thrown into triple coverage.

If he got a couple of dong interceptions or dong pass deflections a year, without any horse dick PI penalties, he'd still be doing better than Burns. Who cares if he was drafted as a QB, Ballsack Flanigan can play corner too.

pczach
03-26-2019, 02:30 PM
Obviously.

Has he used that one before?

hawaiiansteeler
03-26-2019, 04:00 PM
Has he used that one before?

The good teams, the dominant teams, aren't necessarily dominant in stadiums, but they are dominant largely in moments, when they do what's required to get out of stadiums with victories.

GoSlash27
03-26-2019, 04:59 PM

There are *some* words/ phrases that might not be repeatable in a single lifetime. "Hold my beer and watch this" and "oh, crap" come to mind.

stillers4me
03-26-2019, 05:02 PM

fansince'76
03-26-2019, 05:11 PM
The Jets haven't won a SB since before the first manned moon landing and Woodstock. Think there might be a reason for that?

pczach
03-26-2019, 07:02 PM
The good teams, the dominant teams, aren't necessarily dominant in stadiums, but they are dominant largely in moments, when they do what's required to get out of stadiums with victories.

I'm ready to run through a wall for you!

Quick question...….Am I being treated the same as everyone else? :chuckle:

AtlantaDan
03-26-2019, 07:05 PM

DesertSteel
03-26-2019, 07:10 PM
Hurt or suspended.

hawaiiansteeler
03-26-2019, 09:09 PM
I'm ready to run through a wall for you!

Quick question...….Am I being treated the same as everyone else? :chuckle:

“I don’t know in what ways you are referring, we certainly treat people fairly here at Steelers Universe. we don’t aspire to treat everybody exactly the same, that’s just the reality of how we function.”

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-26-2019, 10:35 PM
The Jets haven't won a SB since before the first manned moon landing and Woodstock. Think there might be a reason for that?

Maybe they drop the brown acid in their Gatorade? :noidea:

munchy
03-27-2019, 09:37 AM

how stupid is tomlin?
takes a shot at the jets BUT
does he realize the steelers offered bell more than the jets did?

- - - Updated - - -

seeing that tomlin is good at running his mouth, i would have thought he could have come up with some new material the last few months
i hope he isnt losing his edge

Born2Steel
03-27-2019, 10:00 AM
He only said what most fans have been saying for the past 2 seasons. In his own way obviously. He wants team first football players and not me first whiney divas. So.....maybe this draft will see less drafting on athleticism and potential and more on the field production and scheme fit.

Mojouw
03-27-2019, 10:17 AM
He only said what most fans have been saying for the past 2 seasons. In his own way obviously. He wants team first football players and not me first whiney divas. So.....maybe this draft will see less drafting on athleticism and potential and more on the field production and scheme fit.

I see what you are saying, and it isn't a bad thing. But I reject the binary distinction that there are players that are athletic marvels but that makes them divas and bad football players versus these gritty grinders that have high football IQs and just produce on the footbaw field!

I realize that is no the extreme scenario you are laying out, but I feel that it underlies much of the draft discussion here and elsewhere around the internet. What you want is talent that you can merge with production on the field. Watt and Shazier are recent first round picks that are great athletes that translated that into on-field production. Dupree and Burns are recent picks that have not made that translation.

If anyone could predict the DIVA, then they would be the greatest GM ever based on that alone. AB came into the league and just flat-out worked harder than anyone in the game. For several years, he looked like the ideal pick.

Born2Steel
03-27-2019, 10:40 AM
I see what you are saying, and it isn't a bad thing. But I reject the binary distinction that there are players that are athletic marvels but that makes them divas and bad football players versus these gritty grinders that have high football IQs and just produce on the footbaw field!

I realize that is no the extreme scenario you are laying out, but I feel that it underlies much of the draft discussion here and elsewhere around the internet. What you want is talent that you can merge with production on the field. Watt and Shazier are recent first round picks that are great athletes that translated that into on-field production. Dupree and Burns are recent picks that have not made that translation.

If anyone could predict the DIVA, then they would be the greatest GM ever based on that alone. AB came into the league and just flat-out worked harder than anyone in the game. For several years, he looked like the ideal pick.

As you say I’m not talking in extremes. Honestly I was only translating(attempting) Tomlin’s words into forum speak. As for diva prediction, I don’t think it is completely unpredictable. I don’t think anyone(Ryan Clark) ever saw what AB became this past offseason. But I think we all saw ODBii having diva-like behavior issues from day 1. Now, both can produce and be great on the field but it’s the AB before 2019 that we want here. Even if he does blow up into a diva later.

munchy
03-27-2019, 12:53 PM
As you say I’m not talking in extremes. Honestly I was only translating(attempting) Tomlin’s words into forum speak. As for diva prediction, I don’t think it is completely unpredictable. I don’t think anyone(Ryan Clark) ever saw what AB became this past offseason. But I think we all saw ODBii having diva-like behavior issues from day 1. Now, both can produce and be great on the field but it’s the AB before 2019 that we want here. Even if he does blow up into a diva later.

we could also predict our number 1 draft target/want/need(devin white) being a potential diva based on his 'i want to make 100 million when i hit FA'

Fire Goodell
03-27-2019, 12:55 PM
we could also predict our number 1 draft target/want/need(devin white) being a potential diva based on his 'i want to make 100 million when i hit FA'

A player saying something like that would make me immediately look elsewhere. We all know how the Bell situation went ever since he started talking about wanting 15M a year

Born2Steel
03-27-2019, 01:30 PM

I don’t think I would go so far as to predict White’s behavior, but it does put a red flag on his interview. If White equals 5 years of awesomeness and then demands more money than what the Steelers are willing to pay, I would still call that a win. If he becomes a malcontent in year 3 because he wants an extension and holds out, that I call a bust.

munchy
03-27-2019, 01:57 PM
I don’t think I would go so far as to predict White’s behavior, but it does put a red flag on his interview. If White equals 5 years of awesomeness and then demands more money than what the Steelers are willing to pay, I would still call that a win. If he becomes a malcontent in year 3 because he wants an extension and holds out, that I call a bust.

yup, i wonder how many teams he turned off by making that comment
that comment alone makes me question his intelligence.

Mojouw
03-27-2019, 02:32 PM

Sure and I do agree.

I just think that (and not you or anyone specifically) there has been an undercurrent in the last 2 years or so to talk so much about "distractions" and "character" in the NFL, that sometimes talent gets lost in the shuffle. For me, the goal should be to collect the most talented players your can and figure the rest out later.

Again, that is just me. But take Devin White. Assume he backs up his bravado and legit earns a 100 million value on the open market. So basically CJ Mosley with a 15% pay bump over five years. In that scenario the worst case for the Steelers is that you get an All-Pro player for 5 years. That is longer than the average career in the NFL. Now would I trade my entire draft and part of 2020's to go get him? Nope. But if he is sitting there because of "character concerns" on draft day and based on everything I know about the player I feel confident that he will excel in the NFL and will play his ass off to get that contract he wants, then I pull the trigger and see what we see in 5 years.

Born2Steel
03-27-2019, 02:42 PM
Sure and I do agree.

I just think that (and not you or anyone specifically) there has been an undercurrent in the last 2 years or so to talk so much about "distractions" and "character" in the NFL, that sometimes talent gets lost in the shuffle. For me, the goal should be to collect the most talented players your can and figure the rest out later.

Again, that is just me. But take Devin White. Assume he backs up his bravado and legit earns a 100 million value on the open market. So basically CJ Mosley with a 15% pay bump over five years. In that scenario the worst case for the Steelers is that you get an All-Pro player for 5 years. That is longer than the average career in the NFL. Now would I trade my entire draft and part of 2020's to go get him? Nope. But if he is sitting there because of "character concerns" on draft day and based on everything I know about the player I feel confident that he will excel in the NFL and will play his ass off to get that contract he wants, then I pull the trigger and see what we see in 5 years.

5 years of $100M worth of production is a win for any team. After that let him move on to his payday.

steelreserve
03-27-2019, 03:45 PM
Sure and I do agree.

I think your assessment of the value is right on. My one worry is that guys like that tend to bring along ... other problems. Beyond the usual "distractions" (that I also agree are way overhyped), guys who come right out of the gate saying "I want to be the highest paid" tend to just have such high opinions of themselves that it quickly becomes unmanageable. And if the drama is not actually affecting the team, they take it upon themselves to bring it closer and closer until it is affecting the team.

I would give it more like 3 good years you'll get out of someone like that before they get bored or restless and force something negative to happen that has a tangible impact on wins and losses, and if that's still not getting enough attention, they just quit. That's whether or not they're the highest paid, whether or not they're the biggest star, and whether the team is winning or losing. You're still handling a rattlesnake, that no matter whether you keep it well-fed and warm and happy, it's still too stupid to understand and it's gonna bite you. We just went through this twice in a row, I don't think we want to mess with that again.

I would 100 times rather have a guy who said, "I want to be the best," or even "I want to be the most famous" than a guy who said, "I want the most money." That's just another way of saying "I want to make people do what I want," and it is rarely going to stop with money.

munchy
03-27-2019, 03:55 PM
I think your assessment of the value is right on. My one worry is that guys like that tend to bring along ... other problems. Beyond the usual "distractions" (that I also agree are way overhyped), guys who come right out of the gate saying "I want to be the highest paid" tend to just have such high opinions of themselves that it quickly becomes unmanageable. And if the drama is not actually affecting the team, they take it upon themselves to bring it closer and closer until it is affecting the team.

I would give it more like 3 good years you'll get out of someone like that before they get bored or restless and force something negative to happen that has a tangible impact on wins and losses, and if that's still not getting enough attention, they just quit. That's whether or not they're the highest paid, whether or not they're the biggest star, and whether the team is winning or losing. You're still handling a rattlesnake, that no matter whether you keep it well-fed and warm and happy, it's still too stupid to understand and it's gonna bite you. We just went through this twice in a row, I don't think we want to mess with that again.

I would 100 times rather have a guy who said, "I want to be the best," or even "I want to be the most famous" than a guy who said, "I want the most money." That's just another way of saying "I want to make people do what I want," and it is rarely going to stop with money.

agreed. and lets not forget that every nfl player and agent witnessed how the steelers handle a player that wants out

86WARD
03-27-2019, 03:59 PM
5 years of $100M worth of production is a win for any team. After that let him move on to his payday.

That’ll be 10 years worth of player...he won’t be worth a big payday after that...right?

Born2Steel
03-27-2019, 04:24 PM
That’ll be 10 years worth of player...he won’t be worth a big payday after that...right?

I thought the quote was something like looking for $100M in 5 years. Or maybe that’s just how my brain processed the quote from Devin White. If drafted he’s on a rookie deal for 4 years with team option 5th? So his “payday” comes in year 6? Or am I completely screwing that up? Anyway the point is high talent players are worth the rookie deal. If the money they want to continue gets too much, a mutual parting is no big deal and both can say they won.

86WARD
03-29-2019, 06:49 AM
I thought the quote was something like looking for $100M in 5 years. Or maybe that’s just how my brain processed the quote from Devin White. If drafted he’s on a rookie deal for 4 years with team option 5th? So his “payday” comes in year 6? Or am I completely screwing that up? Anyway the point is high talent players are worth the rookie deal. If the money they want to continue gets too much, a mutual parting is no big deal and both can say they won.

Maybe I misunderstood. I thought you were saying his big payday would be after the 5 rookie years and then after the 5/$100M...

Mojouw
03-29-2019, 11:00 AM

Pretty good analysis on the situation. And I am not necessarily banging the table that the Steelers should go get White. But I do think that talent trumps everything else - assuming the player is motivated to play. Which is what I think your post is talking about as well.

I would guess that the primary motivation of over 50% of the NFL is money. Most of these guys are smart enough to just say the "right" thing out loud. Look at the annual FA period. Any guy like Mosley who leaves a perennial playoff caliber team for the Jets is saying that he plays in the NFL for money over everything else - assuming the Ravens wanted him back but just at less coin. There are numerous examples each year. Most of those guys don't go the route AB did or Bell and both the player and the team benefit from the mutual relationship. Player does well on the field to build up the track record needed to get paid and the team benefits from that. Just need to know the clock is ticking and you are likely not retaining that player's services...

...But, yes, no more guys that just pull the plug on it all AB and Bell style.