PDA

View Full Version : CB Mike Hilton To Wait Before Signing Tender With Team

hawaiiansteeler
03-20-2019, 02:39 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers Cornerback Mike Hilton To Wait Before Signing Tender With Team

March 20, 2019

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — One of the more productive Steelers defensive players is looking for a new deal with the team.

ESPN reports cornerback Mike Hilton is going wait to sign the exclusive rights free agent tender Pittsburgh placed on him earlier in the offseason.

“Contract situation to watch in Pittsburgh: After two productive years, slot corner Mike Hilton plans to wait to sign his ERFA tender while exploring a new deal, per source. One of team’s best tacklers won’t miss offseason work, though. Similar approach to Al Villanueva in ’17.”

to read rest of article:

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2019/03/20/hilton-looks-for-new-deal/

Born2Steel
03-20-2019, 02:43 PM
Good for him.

steelreserve
03-20-2019, 02:45 PM
"How bad do you want to keep me beyond just this season - if you force me to play for the minimum, I'm not putting up with that shit when I'm a REAL free agent, see yuh."

BlackAndGold
03-20-2019, 02:47 PM
Believe AV did the same thing.

Hilton has balled out for 2 years in a row. Give him his money.

DesertSteel
03-20-2019, 04:06 PM
Everybody loved him then last year everybody hated him...

steelreserve
03-20-2019, 04:16 PM
Everybody loved him then last year everybody hated him...

He was the one CB out of the whole truckload of young up-and-comers who didn't completely lose his shit. I'd love to see him back long-term for the right price.

It's just a little complicated because he's in that weird tweener spot where he's a stud nickel CB but only a situational #2, so how do you deal with that? Can't pay him $8 million a year for that role.

Maybe this is one case where it actually would make sense to do one of those dramatically escalating short term cap-trick contracts we've been handing out lately. Cheap for the next couple of seasons, and then bumps up to $8M around the same time we expect Haden to be gone. If he's ready for an everyday role then, great, it's not a bad price; if he's still a slot corner, then too bad but we've got to get someone else.

Rotorhead
03-20-2019, 04:45 PM
Hope we keep him, I have always liked him and feel his play has been solid.

Butch
03-22-2019, 08:17 PM
I hope they keep him too, have always liked him despite the fact he was a patriot

Born2Steel
03-23-2019, 10:59 AM
I think Hilton deserves a 'real' contract. Give him one.

Mojouw
03-23-2019, 02:03 PM
Didn't he get like soft benched end of last season? I feel like they started playing Sutton more. Can't remember.

BlackAndGold
03-23-2019, 02:27 PM
Didn't he get like soft benched end of last season? I feel like they started playing Sutton more. Can't remember.

Believe he was for two possession's and Hilton was brought back in.

He struggled a little down the stretch this past season but he's been more good than bad during his time with the Steelers.

Fire Goodell
03-23-2019, 02:44 PM
He's our best slot CB and although he struggled at times last year (though seriously, what CB doesn't struggle sometimes?), he earned an extension. If anything, his blitzing ability is worth bringing back, he's one of the best blitzing CB's I've seen for a while. Pay him!

86WARD
03-24-2019, 11:30 AM
Would losing Hilton be that much of a blow? I mean one of the blog sites put up Hilton’s 2018 highlights video...the video was 1 minute and 1 second long. The first :30 there was one highlight and the rest of the “highlights” were much less than average. Actually am questioning why I was higher on him than any of the other guys not named Haden.

Fire Goodell
03-24-2019, 01:29 PM
Would losing Hilton be that much of a blow? I mean one of the blog sites put up Hilton’s 2018 highlights video...the video was 1 minute and 1 second long. The first :30 there was one highlight and the rest of the “highlights” were much less than average. Actually am questioning why I was higher on him than any of the other guys not named Haden.

Depends how the staff feels about Sutton. IMO though, you can never have too much capable corners especially with the 3-4 wide pretty much almost being base formations in the modern nfl

Craic
03-24-2019, 02:27 PM
Yeah, but highlights don't tell the real tale. If an opposing QB is watching film on the Steelers. He sees there's only two places where a throw might get challenged. Haden and Hilton. And, Haden's getting a bit older and having to rely on wiles as much as pure physical speed and talent at this point. So, challenge him before Hilton.

I'm not saying Hilton is the best overall CB on the field, just that he plays a better Nickel CB than anyone else but Haden plays their CB positions.

steelreserve
03-25-2019, 11:55 AM

If he's willing to sign for like ... $3M, maybe $4M it makes sense. If he wants starting CB money, then you have to let him get it somewhere else. Not a gamble I'd feel comfortable making, and you can't afford to pay your slot corner $8 million.

DesertSteel
03-25-2019, 12:42 PM
I keep forgetting... do we like Mike Hilton or not???

86WARD
03-25-2019, 08:13 PM
If he's willing to sign for like ... $3M, maybe $4M it makes sense. If he wants starting CB money, then you have to let him get it somewhere else. Not a gamble I'd feel comfortable making, and you can't afford to pay your slot corner $8 million.

If he’s that good though, you need three starting CBS. You need a 1 and two 2s to succeed against the passing attacks in this league.

Sutton isn’t the answer to anything. If Hilton is the best nickel CB in the league, he deserves CB2 money. If he’s the CB in the “highlight” film, he does not deserve that.

steelreserve
03-25-2019, 09:52 PM
If he’s that good though, you need three starting CBS. You need a 1 and two 2s to succeed against the passing attacks in this league.

Sutton isn’t the answer to anything. If Hilton is the best nickel CB in the league, he deserves CB2 money. If he’s the CB in the “highlight” film, he does not deserve that.

That's the thing, I don't think anyone knows if he's that good. So far he seems to be in this odd place where he's really good situationally, but he struggles the more you use him.

Sutton crapping out has nothing to do with whether we need Hilton. We just need another totally different player who's better than Sutton, that's what it boils down to.

Shoes
03-25-2019, 09:57 PM
I think Hilton deserves a 'real' contract. Give him one.

That's what we all said about Boz. :chuckle:

hawaiiansteeler
04-01-2019, 12:32 AM
Hilton's lack of size has become an issue, I think the Steelers would like to upgrade the slot CB position.

Fire Goodell
04-01-2019, 02:57 PM
Hilton's lack of size has become an issue

that's what she said

BlackAndGold
04-01-2019, 07:12 PM
Hilton's lack of size has become an issue, I think the Steelers would like to upgrade the slot CB position.

With their scouting abilty of defensive backs? good luck.

hawaiiansteeler
04-01-2019, 07:54 PM
With their scouting abilty of defensive backs? good luck.

good point, I'm hoping Teryl Austin has a clue.

pczach
04-02-2019, 05:49 AM
good point, I'm hoping Teryl Austin has a clue.

He can't hurt.....