PDA

View Full Version : Are the Steelers preparing for a big trade up in the draft?

hawaiiansteeler
03-17-2019, 10:58 PM
Are the Steelers preparing for a big trade up in the draft?

By Curt Popejoy

It is starting to look like the Pittsburgh Steelers have stockpiled some draft picks with the intention of moving up at some point. The 2019 NFL draft class has a few top tier players at key positions for the Steelers but none of them are likely to be on the board when Pittsburgh picks. Whether it is inside linebacker, edge rusher or even wide receiver, most of the top names will be long gone before the No. 20 overall pick.

This got us thinking about what the Steelers would need to do in order to get into the Top 10 and land one of those prospects. Here’s what the Steelers current crop of picks look like:

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/17/are-the-steelers-preparing-to-for-a-big-trade-up-in-the-draft/

DesertSteel
03-18-2019, 12:08 AM
I wouldn’t give up both 3rds to move up to #10. Too much. There’s good players in the 3rd round.

hawaiiansteeler
03-18-2019, 12:51 AM
I wouldn’t give up both 3rds to move up to #10. Too much. There’s good players in the 3rd round.

I believe we want Devin White, imo it's why we were willing to make the AB trade with Buffalo to get their #9 pick.

Craic
03-18-2019, 01:27 AM
Sure,
But one thing we know. This defense scheme has a flaw that's as old as the first time Dick LeBeau implemented his fire-blitz scheme here (and now the morphed scheme we're currently playing), it depends on that superstar player to make the big plays. When Troy P. was out, our defense was bad. When a young James Harrison was playing and then went out, we were bad. When we lost Shazier, we were bad (stats noticeably dipped after his injury). So, if we continue in that system, then we'll have to make a move up into the upper first for that star player because a third rounder just isn't going to do it. Not unless he's the next Antonio Brown, but this time on defense.

pczach
03-18-2019, 05:54 AM
I believe we want Devin White, imo it's why we were willing to make the AB trade with Buffalo to get their #9 pick.

White would be my first choice at ILB. He's the guy with the least questions to me. I think he's plug and play, and will be a very good, maybe great, player for a long time.

teegre
03-18-2019, 06:33 AM
Do the Steelers have the picks needed to trade up? Yes

Has a “trade up” been their plan all along? No

Mojouw
03-18-2019, 11:09 AM
They're not drafting 10 guys. If you do, chance your drafting 2-3 to just cut them.

They trade up. Likely in the 2nd.

DesertSteel
03-18-2019, 12:11 PM
Sure,
But one thing we know. This defense scheme has a flaw that's as old as the first time Dick LeBeau implemented his fire-blitz scheme here (and now the morphed scheme we're currently playing), it depends on that superstar player to make the big plays. When Troy P. was out, our defense was bad. When a young James Harrison was playing and then went out, we were bad. When we lost Shazier, we were bad (stats noticeably dipped after his injury). So, if we continue in that system, then we'll have to make a move up into the upper first for that star player because a third rounder just isn't going to do it. Not unless he's the next Antonio Brown, but this time on defense.
TJ and Cam are the stars up front. We sure need somebody on the back though who can ball. I still wouldn't give up those two 3's for White, who may be gone by 10 anyway.

tube517
03-18-2019, 12:50 PM
They've done pretty well when trading up.

One was a DPOY and first ballot HOF'er (Troy)

The other was a SB MVP/Pothead (Sandoobio)

hawaiiansteeler
03-18-2019, 02:17 PM
They've done pretty well when trading up.

as long as it's not for Ricardo Colclough or a punter...

Dwinsgames
03-18-2019, 02:41 PM

I want him too , have wanted him for months ...

that said I wouldn't make the trade up its just to costly and we have to many holes to fill ...

we could come out of rd 3 with a very nice WR /TE/ OLB ( pick 2 )

we probably move up somewhere but hopefully its later when the cost is more friendly...

if White /Bush are gone that means someone fell thats a pretty damn good football player ...

we need to come away IMO with a starter quality ILB/CB/WR and would like to see a do it all TE that is capable of stealing some snaps ...

OLB needs more talent in the room Chicky is not a starter in waiting and Dupree is making his last money here ( should have been gone this year )

we should get a Tackle and a RB at some point too ....

that is 6 spots with 10 picks and would be wise to double down at WR /ILB IMO ( so 8 picks out of 10 ? )

but that is just me ....

side note we WANTED Patrick Willis too , ended up with Lawrence Timmons and it worked out ok

Fire Goodell
03-18-2019, 03:32 PM

Or Sharknado Thomas lol, but I guess 4th round is kinda a crapshoot.

hawaiiansteeler
03-18-2019, 04:23 PM

yeah, good thing we gave up a 3rd round pick for Sharknado :rolleyes:

Shoes
03-18-2019, 07:08 PM

wasn't a trade but I shudder when I think of "cream of da crop Senquez Golson" in R2 :chuckle:

tube517
03-18-2019, 07:22 PM

Only thinking 1st round trade ups lol.

hawaiiansteeler
03-18-2019, 09:45 PM
Only thinking 1st round trade ups lol.

I believe there have only been 2 of those in Steelers history, for Troy and Sanstonio.

teegre
03-18-2019, 10:22 PM
They're not drafting 10 guys. If you do, chance your drafting 2-3 to just cut them.

They trade up. Likely in the 2nd.

Tomlin always tries to trade up to the top of R2. This year, he has the firepower to do so.

I’d also like to see them trade away four picks, for four picks in the 2020 draft... for two reasons: Fromm & Herbert.

Dwinsgames
03-18-2019, 10:42 PM
Tombert always tries to trade up to the top of R2. This year, he has the firepower to do so.

I’d also like to see them trade away four picks, for four picks in the 2020 draft... for two reasons: Fromm & Herbert.

fixed it

BlackAndGold
03-19-2019, 11:23 PM
Doubtful that Bush gets past Cincy.

I have a hard seeing them move up.

As fans we should be expecting a surprise pick again. Pay attention to the prospects they take out to dinner.

teegre
03-20-2019, 05:53 AM
Doubtful that Bush gets past Cincy.

I have a hard seeing them move up.

As fans we should be expecting a surprise pick again. Pay attention to the prospects they take out to dinner.

:nod:
I have been saying that for years.

http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/dinner-takes-all-meals-influence-the-2015-nfl-draft/

Dinner list for this year:
-Winovich
-Renfrow

pczach
03-20-2019, 05:57 AM
:nod:
I have been saying that for years.

http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/dinner-takes-all-meals-influence-the-2015-nfl-draft/

Dinner list for this year:
-Winovich
-Renfrow

They better get a much bigger dinner list, because if they pick one of those two guys in the first round...….this place is going to implode and I'm not going to be happy!

teegre
03-20-2019, 06:26 AM
They better get a much bigger dinner list, because if they pick one of those two guys in the first round...….this place is going to implode and I'm not going to be happy!

Another day, another few tweets about Winovich at 20. Ugh.

Mojouw
03-20-2019, 12:49 PM

I've been unnecessarily harsh on both guys - especially Winovich. But I would throw up in my mouth a bit if either of those guys got drafted in the first 2 rounds even - let alone the first.

These are the exact kind of guys that people get the vapors for prior to every draft. And they are the exact kind of guys that get to the NFL and don't really matter.

Just look at guys on the Steelers own roster:
Matakevich
Chickillo
Switzer
until recently Jesse James
DHB (version 2.0 of his career)

But they are all so gritty. So tough. So non-stop with the motors. Great! But they are not players that you take in the top 25 picks of the draft! You can succeed in the NCAA by trying harder and working more than the other guy. Not in the NFL.

But I've been wrong before. And I will be wrong again. Likely sometime in the next few minutes...so what do I know?

Mojouw
03-20-2019, 12:56 PM
Thoughts on a trade up:

1. Is Devin Bush or Devin White a good enough player for that to be basically the evaluation of the draft class?
2. If necessary, how much would you take from next year's class for either guy?
3. Are the Pittsburgh Steelers a rookie ILB away from going on a deep playoff run?
4. Is either Devin Bush or Devin White a certain enough NFL projection to build your defense around?

I suspect that the answers to those questions will guide the team's decision(s). I find it interesting that they either were not able or were unwilling to execute a trade to move up and get guys from a deeper and maybe better ILB class last year. Makes me wonder why they would be more willing to do it this year?

hawaiiansteeler
03-20-2019, 02:23 PM
I suspect that the answers to those questions will guide the team's decision(s). I find it interesting that they either were not able or were unwilling to execute a trade to move up and get guys from a deeper and maybe better ILB class last year. Makes me wonder why they would be more willing to do it this year?

Colbert has admitted he didn't do enough last year to replace Ryan Shazier.

Born2Steel
03-20-2019, 02:42 PM
According to some draft nerds I listen to from time to time, unless the player you want falls to within 5-7 spots of where you are already picking the cost is simply too high to move up. Example trade would be trade our 1st and 3rd to move to 15, or our 1st and 2nd gets us to 13. Then you actually have to find the team willing to make the trade. Who in this draft is worth that trade?

Mojouw
03-20-2019, 03:05 PM
According to some draft nerds I listen to from time to time, unless the player you want falls to within 5-7 spots of where you are already picking the cost is simply too high to move up. Example trade would be trade our 1st and 3rd to move to 15, or our 1st and 2nd gets us to 13. Then you actually have to find the team willing to make the trade. Who in this draft is worth that trade?

Maybe no one. This kind of hooks into the post about whether it is better to load up on a few stars or spread that sweet cap money out over several players.

Maybe trading up is the draft version of the same thought process?

- - - Updated - - -

Colbert has admitted he didn't do enough last year to replace Ryan Shazier.

Solid point. But we could argue that enough was not done to replace Polamalu either. Some guys you just don't ever get to replace. I don't know. I can see this from all sides and think there is a strong argument from every angle. Hard to make a call one way or the other, at least for me.

TD's & Beer
03-20-2019, 08:34 PM
Do the Steelers have the picks needed to trade up? Yes

Has a “trade up” been their plan all along? No

I concur

Time for a change, be bold!

Be like the Pens!

Don't be afraid to make big moves

DesertSteel
03-21-2019, 03:00 PM
Watch for droppers.... two potential ones are Sweat and Oliver.

pczach
03-21-2019, 05:17 PM
Watch for droppers.... two potential ones are Sweat and Oliver.

If Sweat drops to them, they will have to think about it.

Dwinsgames
03-21-2019, 05:28 PM

pczach
03-21-2019, 05:41 PM

I have a great idea. Let's have a kick in the nuts contest!

FrancoLambert
03-21-2019, 05:59 PM

After how many vodkas? :usa2:

teegre
03-22-2019, 06:39 AM
I have a great idea. Let's have a kick in the nuts contest!

I like money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAg1r6zw7Bg&app=desktop

BlackAndGold
03-22-2019, 04:34 PM

So far that's looking like a possibility. Reminds me of Watt coming out of Wisconsin.

6.9 seconds in the 3 cone drill. 1.55 10 yard split(tied with Bosa for 3rd at the combine) 4.6 forty, non stop motor.

The sent the house to Michigan and had dinner with him. Don't be surprised people.

Edit: but more pro days are ahead.

hawaiiansteeler
03-22-2019, 05:36 PM
So far that's looking like a possibility. Reminds me of Watt coming out of Wisconsin.

6.9 seconds in the 3 cone drill. 1.55 10 yard split(tied with Bosa for 3rd at the combine) 4.6 forty, non stop motor.

The sent the house to Michigan and had dinner with him. Don't be surprised people.

2nd round perhaps, but I would be very surprised if we selected Winovich at #20.

Born2Steel
03-22-2019, 05:39 PM
2nd round perhaps, but I would be very surprised if we selected Winovich at #20.

I wouldn’t be surprised a bit. Edmunds last year proves they will reach. If the numbers say he’s another Watt he could very well be the pick at 20.

hawaiiansteeler
03-22-2019, 05:49 PM
I wouldn’t be surprised a bit. Edmunds last year proves they will reach. If the numbers say he’s another Watt he could very well be the pick at 20.

I think you should put Winovich as your 1st round selection in our Steelers Universe mock draft contest :wink02:

Born2Steel
03-23-2019, 11:01 AM
I think you should put Winovich as your 1st round selection in our Steelers Universe mock draft contest :wink02:

Wouldn't be prudent at this juncture. Not gonna doit.

Shoes
03-23-2019, 11:11 AM
Wouldn't be prudent at this juncture. Not gonna doit.

Rooney and Colbert are hooked on the name more than the player. Winovich, if that isn't a Pittsburgh name I don't know what is. :chuckle:

Born2Steel
03-23-2019, 11:26 AM
Rooney and Colbert are hooked on the name more than the player. Winovich, if that isn't a Pittsburgh name I don't know what is. :chuckle:

I can honestly see Winovich being the 2nd round pick easily. Not the #20 overall. I can also see this being a smokescreen to try and hide the guy they actually want at #20. TJ Hockenson.

st33lersguy
03-23-2019, 11:26 AM
Reaching seems to have been a 1st round trend recently, though if he isn't raw and is high character it may not be too bad

Dwinsgames
03-23-2019, 11:30 AM

agreed .... he could even linger to rd 3 with the thumb surgery ( depends on prognosis on return date I suppose )

- - - Updated - - -

one of my best friends as a kid was a Dukovich so yeah I can see it ( err hear it )

Born2Steel
03-23-2019, 11:30 AM
Reaching for Watt, successful.
Reaching for Burns, not so much.
Reaching for Edmunds, yet to be determined.
Reaching for Winovich, I don't think so.

Shoes
03-23-2019, 11:34 AM
I can honestly see Winovich being the 2nd round pick easily. Not the #20 overall. I can also see this being a smokescreen to try and hide the guy they actually want at #20. TJ Hockenson.

I like this smoke screen. :chuckle:

BlackAndGold
03-23-2019, 02:05 PM

Hockenson would be amazing but I'm starting to believe a offensive player is in play at #20.

Iowa State(Hakeem Butler) and Ole Miss(D.K. Metcalf and AJ Brown) pro days are coming up. Will be interesting to see if Tomlin and Colbert show up and take one of those receivers to dinner.

Shoes
03-23-2019, 02:15 PM
Hockenson would be amazing but I'm starting to believe a offensive player is in play at #20.

Iowa State(Hakeem Butler) and Ole Miss(D.K. Metcalf and AJ Brown) pro days are coming up. Will be interesting to see if Tomlin and Colbert show up and take one of those receivers to dinner.

Agreed. Hopefully, the smoke screen is not showing any interest in Hockenson, then they take him. My gut feeling is Metcalf is going to be one of those players who is always injured.

Fire Goodell
03-23-2019, 02:21 PM
I want Hockensen, if there's any TE in the draft that screams HEATH MILLER it's that guy

BlackAndGold
03-23-2019, 02:36 PM
Agreed. Hopefully, the smoke screen is not showing any interest in Hockenson, then they take him. My gut feeling is Metcalf is going to be one of those players who is always injured.

I'm feeling it could be Butler. 6'6" with 4.4 speed is incredible. Could be the next Plaxico. He would fit right in at that X receiver spot.

pczach
03-23-2019, 04:55 PM
I'm feeling it could be Butler. 6'6" with 4.4 speed is incredible. Could be the next Plaxico. He would fit right in at that X receiver spot.

His ceiling is tremendous, but he has so much to improve upon and work on in his game. He's a terrible route runner, and he drops a ton of passes. His short-area quickness also isn't very good. He runs very basic routes , so he probably doesn't even understand a complete NFL route tree or how to execute. He has a lot to learn.

He does routinely make highlight reel worthy, incredible plays, and once he catches the ball he's an absolute beast.

I personally don't see him going #20 in the draft....but you never know.

DesertSteel
03-23-2019, 05:16 PM
Reaching for Watt, successful.
Reaching for Burns, not so much.
Reaching for Edmunds, yet to be determined.
Reaching for Winovich, I don't think so.
I don’t think Watts was a reach. Almost everyone was mocking him around where he went - either to the Packers or Steelers. As to reaching, I sure hope we don’t play that game this year. With the FA additions there’s no need to reach at a position of need.

BlackAndGold
03-23-2019, 05:20 PM
His ceiling is tremendous, but he has so much to improve upon and work on in his game. He's a terrible route runner, and he drops a ton of passes. His short-area quickness also isn't very good. He runs very basic routes , so he probably doesn't even understand a complete NFL route tree or how to execute. He has a lot to learn.

He does routinely make highlight reel worthy, incredible plays, and once he catches the ball he's an absolute beast.

I personally don't see him going #20 in the draft....but you never know.

H route running definitively needs work(hands inconsistent also but improved in that area), but they need a WR that can go deep down field and make plays. He could be that guy.

DesertSteel
03-23-2019, 05:47 PM
H route running definitively needs work(hands inconsistent also but improved in that area), but they need a WR that can go deep down field and make plays. He could be that guy.
If there are 2-3 WRs they like at 20 and the rest of their board is gone, I could see them trading back 5-6 spots and picking up one of the WRs like Butler.

Shoes
03-23-2019, 06:08 PM
I don't draft any WR that has a catching issue.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
03-23-2019, 07:32 PM
I don't draft any WR that has a catching issue. I agree with that and hope they learned their lesson with Coates.

pczach
03-23-2019, 07:51 PM

He's one of those guys with immense physical ability. You just hope he develops if he comes to Pittsburgh. If he does, he is a walking mismatch that can go over defenders to make catches and he breaks tackles and drags defenders like a TE after the catch.

st33lersguy
03-23-2019, 07:52 PM
If it is Winovich, I hope they wait until round 2.

JayC
03-23-2019, 11:32 PM
With the 20th pick in the 1st round of the 2019 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select...

https://media.giphy.com/media/3dbLOGB1ELpePRelhl/giphy.gif

Linebacker, Police Academy

DesertSteel
03-23-2019, 11:51 PM
With the 20th pick in the 1st round of the 2019 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select...

Definite holding by his teammate though.

03-24-2019, 12:03 AM
Definite holding by his teammate though. Non call since Brady was throwing to him.

teegre
03-24-2019, 02:27 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7ZwwHocZxo&app=desktop

DesertSteel
03-24-2019, 08:53 AM
Non call since Brady was throwing to him.
"There is no penalty on the play"

hawaiiansteeler
03-25-2019, 02:12 PM
Steelers GM Kevin Colbert plans big things with draft 'ammunition'

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

PHOENIX -- Kevin Colbert sat in the corner of the Arizona Biltmore on a perfect March day and might as well have been on the clock.

His eagerness for the NFL draft was unmistakable.

The departures of Antonio Brown and Le'Veon Bell, coupled with the Pittsburgh Steelers' first playoff miss since 2013, places Colbert squarely in the spotlight.

The man armed with 10 draft picks doesn't seem to mind at all. The Steelers appear open for business.

to read rest of article:

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/30460/steelers-gm-kevin-colbert-plans-big-things-with-draft-ammunition

BlackAndGold
03-25-2019, 02:29 PM
Steelers GM Kevin Colbert plans big things with draft 'ammunition'

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

PHOENIX -- Kevin Colbert sat in the corner of the Arizona Biltmore on a perfect March day and might as well have been on the clock.

His eagerness for the NFL draft was unmistakable.

The departures of Antonio Brown and Le'Veon Bell, coupled with the Pittsburgh Steelers' first playoff miss since 2013, places Colbert squarely in the spotlight.

The man armed with 10 draft picks doesn't seem to mind at all. The Steelers appear open for business.

to read rest of article:

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/30460/steelers-gm-kevin-colbert-plans-big-things-with-draft-ammunition

I expect a trade or two. Not sure it happens round one but I can't see them drafting 10 rookies.

FrancoLambert
03-25-2019, 04:54 PM
"There is no penalty on the play"

I don’t know, taking off your helmet’s a penalty, the second guy took off his shirt. :nono:

Fire Goodell
03-25-2019, 06:31 PM
Trade up for Hockensen and run some double TE with him and McDonald

BlackAndGold
03-26-2019, 10:34 PM

Shoes
03-27-2019, 01:16 PM
I'd pass on both Devin's and any WR that has the tendency to drop footballs.

SteelMember
03-27-2019, 01:31 PM
I think the Falcons could be a good landing spot if the Steelers considered a 1st round move up. Falcons need line help both O and D, and this 1st round is pretty good in dline depth.
The move from 20 to 14 costs @ a 250 value (basically our early 3rd rounder) and gets you in front of teams like Washington, Carolina and Tennessee.

hawaiiansteeler
03-29-2019, 07:05 PM
2019 NFL Mock Draft: Steelers move up

by Cody Benjamin
CBS Sports Writer

The 2019 NFL Draft is just four weeks away, and we're not much closer to figuring out whether the Arizona Cardinals, holders of the prized No. 1 pick, truly covet Heisman Trophy winner Kyler Murray more than their current quarterback Josh Rosen.

But in the wake of reports about other teams expressing interest in Rosen, who went 10th overall in 2018's draft, we've got a handful of splashy moves in this particular mock draft, including a trade of Rosen himself. From deals involving the Pittsburgh Steelers and New England Patriots to big QB decisions by both the Miami Dolphins and Washington Redskins, there's no shortage of possibilities to consider:

to read rest of article:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-mock-draft-steelers-move-up-chargers-trade-out-for-josh-rosen-bucs-nab-round-1-pick-in-gerald-mccoy-deal/

Shoes
03-29-2019, 07:40 PM
2019 NFL Mock Draft: Steelers move up

by Cody Benjamin
CBS Sports Writer

The 2019 NFL Draft is just four weeks away, and we're not much closer to figuring out whether the Arizona Cardinals, holders of the prized No. 1 pick, truly covet Heisman Trophy winner Kyler Murray more than their current quarterback Josh Rosen.

But in the wake of reports about other teams expressing interest in Rosen, who went 10th overall in 2018's draft, we've got a handful of splashy moves in this particular mock draft, including a trade of Rosen himself. From deals involving the Pittsburgh Steelers and New England Patriots to big QB decisions by both the Miami Dolphins and Washington Redskins, there's no shortage of possibilities to consider:

to read rest of article:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-mock-draft-steelers-move-up-chargers-trade-out-for-josh-rosen-bucs-nab-round-1-pick-in-gerald-mccoy-deal/

Both Devin's will be gone by 15. I read White will be taken by TB @ 5. I just can't see moving up for Bush.

hawaiiansteeler
03-31-2019, 09:55 PM
Both Devin's will be gone by 15. I read White will be taken by TB @ 5. I just can't see moving up for Bush.

Devin White visiting Bucs, Giants, Bengals

Posted by Charean Williams on March 31, 2019

LSU linebacker Devin White said Sunday he has upcoming visits with the Buccaneers, Giants and Bengals, Amir Just of The Times-Picayune reports.

The Bengals might have to move up from No. 11 if they hope to draft White. The Bucs select fifth and the Giants sixth.

White said after his Pro Day that he was “trying to go top five.” He is a popular mock draft pick for the Bucs.

to read rest of article:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

BlackAndGold
04-01-2019, 02:01 AM
I hope you people are ready for Chase Winovich at #20.

Because unless they changed their approach and we haven't heard anything, he fits their history of drafting players in round one.

Sent the house to UM and had dinner with Chase, same thing they did with Edmunds, Watt, Dupree.

86WARD
04-01-2019, 05:38 AM
There will obviously be some sort of move up at some point. They aren’t going to select 10 players.

pczach
04-01-2019, 05:56 AM

Because unless they changed their approach and we haven't heard anything, he fits their history of drafting players in round one.

Sent the house to UM and had dinner with Chase, same thing they did with Edmunds, Watt, Dupree.

If they're looking at edge players, there is a chance that better edge players than Winovich will be available at #20.

I don't hate the kid. I actually like him as a player. I just think #20 is too high for him.

teegre
04-01-2019, 06:52 AM

Ugh

Alas, I’ve got that same feeling.

If they're looking at edge players, there is a chance that better edge players than Winovich will be available at #20.

I don't hate the kid. I actually like him as a player. I just think #20 is too high for him.

Exactly

Dwinsgames
04-01-2019, 08:30 AM

DesertSteel
04-01-2019, 08:38 AM
Is that just for the Big 10?

Dwinsgames
04-01-2019, 08:44 AM

they have " ANY " in caps so assuming they mean entire draft .... but I still have a 2nd round grade on him and depending on his medicals ( thumb ) could slip a bit ... but on draft day only takes 1 team to fall in love

Dwinsgames
04-01-2019, 08:54 AM
this is also an interesting piece of information for comparisons as to whom you could be getting in a guy like Winovich

Mojouw
04-01-2019, 10:24 AM

they have " ANY " in caps so assuming they mean entire draft .... but I still have a 2nd round grade on him and depending on his medicals ( thumb ) could slip a bit ... but on draft day only takes 1 team to fall in love

The quote says it is for the whole draft, but the graphic says for the Big 10, so I think that it is the Big 10. I'm sure someone on the edge played better than Van Ginkel.

Born2Steel
04-01-2019, 12:21 PM

I just don’t get the hype. Looking at his games I don’t see anything better than Chickillo honestly. Great motor and all he lacks contain, is almost always a step or 2 late at the QB, gets ran up the arc, and loses track of the football on nearly every down. I still need to see anything that sells Winovich as a top 20 pick. I see a 3rd/4th round guy at best.

hawaiiansteeler
04-01-2019, 04:30 PM

Winovich will be 24 years old by the time of the draft, the Steelers like their first rounders younger.

munchy
04-01-2019, 04:48 PM
im not going to be real happy if they give up more than a 4th rounder to move up in the first.............
there will be plenty of talent available at the 20 spot

Mojouw
04-01-2019, 04:56 PM

There may be a small chance that the existence of Devin Bush had a little to do with the # of representatives they sent.

- - - Updated - - -

im not going to be real happy if they give up more than a 4th rounder to move up in the first.............
there will be plenty of talent available at the 20 spot

That would move them up 2 spots to #18 at most. Not sure that is gonna be on the table. Unless someone they are trading with just absolutely throws the trade value chart out the window in order to grab the #20 pick in the 4th round.

hawaiiansteeler
04-01-2019, 04:57 PM

we can move up two spots to #18 by offering our 4th rounder.

BlackAndGold
04-01-2019, 07:20 PM
When it comes to Winovich, I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

Me personally I think there is a good chance Bush is there at #20. The one team that is talked about taking Bush is Cincinnati and I'm not sure they go that way. Yes they have a hole at LB but they just hired an offensive minded head coach, so they may go offense. Won't be shocking if they go QB tbh. Dalton needs a new contract and I have not read any reports that they want to extend him. They also were interested in taking Rudolph last year before the Steelers jumped in front of them.

I have Winovich as a late 1st/early 2nd round pick. He's one hell of a player that is very similar to Watt coming out of Wisconsin. I am hoping that they can somehow luck into both of these players in the first two rounds. Would be a huge win for the Steelers.

teegre
04-01-2019, 08:04 PM

I wish we had moved up two spots in the 2007 draft. Can you imagine that 2008 defense with Darrelle Revis at CB!?! :scared:

04-02-2019, 12:35 AM
I wish we had moved up two spots in the 2007 draft. Can you imagine that 2008 defense with Darrelle Revis at CB!?! :scared: Refs would have thrown a PI flag on Revis every time Flacco & Brady went deep on the Steelers.

pczach
04-02-2019, 05:55 AM
this is also an interesting piece of information for comparisons as to whom you could be getting in a guy like Winovich

The player right under Winovich on your list may drop right to them at #20 because of the reported heart issue.

He's not too bad.....

Hound
04-02-2019, 12:12 PM
David Long the ILB is visiting the Steelers. Tomlin and Colbert were both at WVU pro day. If Devin Bush doesn’t fall or the price is too high, David Long could be the ILB taken in the third.

munchy
04-02-2019, 12:15 PM

yup, thats my point.
i donrt want to trade away any pick higher than a 4th
i have a bad feeling the steelers are going to panic and trade away multiple picks just get bush(who i think is being way over valued if he goes before 15

Fire Goodell
04-02-2019, 12:27 PM
David Long the ILB is visiting the Steelers. Tomlin and Colbert were both at WVU pro day. If Devin Bush doesn’t fall or the price is too high, David Long could be the ILB taken in the third.

I'm totally OK with that. Is there a chance we'd have to use a #2 on him though?

It does seem like the modern NFL is moving toward smaller and faster ILB's. And every mock draft I'm seeing is basically David Long is the same type of player Devin Bush is, just at 5'11 but with better production. Every mock is putting him in round 3, but is he actually gonna go there? The year Mychal Kendricks got drafted in the first round, everyone was pointing him as a high value pick in rounds 3-4 and he went in the 1st. I don't know, I actually have a feeling that if we want David Long, we might have to use our #2 or the Raiders #3 pick. I don't think he'll be there with the 20th 3rd round pick. With all the teams nowadays wanting to get faster at the ILB position I just see these type of players leaving the board sooner than they're projected to.

Mojouw
04-02-2019, 12:36 PM
I'm totally OK with that. Is there a chance we'd have to use a #2 on him though?

It does seem like the modern NFL is moving toward smaller and faster ILB's. And every mock draft I'm seeing is basically David Long is the same type of player Devin Bush is, just at 5'11 but with better production. Every mock is putting him in round 3, but is he actually gonna go there? The year Mychal Kendricks got drafted in the first round, everyone was pointing him as a high value pick in rounds 3-4 and he went in the 1st. I don't know, I actually have a feeling that if we want David Long, we might have to use our #2 or the Raiders #3 pick. I don't think he'll be there with the 20th 3rd round pick. With all the teams nowadays wanting to get faster at the ILB position I just see these type of players leaving the board sooner than they're projected to.

You are outlining a version of what happened with Darrius Leonard last year. So if past is prologue, Pratt and Long might be the types of guys that go far higher than their "grade/value" is listed at pre-draft.

Fire Goodell
04-02-2019, 12:41 PM
You are outlining a version of what happened with Darrius Leonard last year. So if past is prologue, Pratt and Long might be the types of guys that go far higher than their "grade/value" is listed at pre-draft.

True that too. My mistake on Kendricks though, he was a 2nd round pick. Still though, a lot higher than he was expected to go.

Hound
04-02-2019, 01:00 PM
What could push a guy like Long down the Draft is no one has a 40 time on him. The combine gave him the other David Long(cb from Michigan) Not sure what he did at the WVU pro day. Again, I hope the Steelers don’t over draft him or anyone else. I don’t know enough on this guy to make a determination. There are enough fast ILBs in this draft to ATLEAST fill in on passing downs.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3W2AJlvOLc
This kid balls out hard, and he also tested well at the combine

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/blake-cashman?id=32194341-5331-6185-2b37-0d7120bc9212
Athletic player

Fire Goodell
04-02-2019, 01:05 PM
Gotta say "Cash Man" is an awesome name :chuckle:

teegre
04-02-2019, 09:59 PM
It probably should be...

R1:
R2:
R3: Winovich
R3: Long

But, my guy is telling me it will be...

R1: Winovich
R2: Long
R3:
R3:

Mojouw
04-02-2019, 10:04 PM
It probably should be...

R1:
R2:
R3: Winovich
R3: Long

But, my guy is telling me it will be...

R1: Winovich
R2: Long
R3:
R3:

Bold strategy, Cotton.

teegre
04-02-2019, 10:35 PM
Bold strategy, Cotton.

Real question...

Who are the better announcers: Cotton McKinght & Pepper Brooks (Dodgeball) ...or... Buck Laughlin & Trevor Beckwith (Best in Show)???

Mojouw
04-02-2019, 10:50 PM
Real question...

Who are the better announcers: Cotton McKinght & Pepper Brooks (Dodgeball) ...or... Buck Laughlin & Trevor Beckwith (Best in Show)???

That's a tough one. I gotta go with Cotton and Pepper on the ocho.

Born2Steel
04-03-2019, 09:06 AM
What is a draftee’s draft value? Depends on the player’s eval, team need, and scheme fit. PlayerA is a 3rd round value on EVERY mock draft that has EVER been made. However, PlayerA has the right eval, fits a team need better than the others, and will fit scheme perfectly. Therefore PlayerA has a higher than round 3 value. It is ALWAYS fluid and changing.

Mojouw
04-03-2019, 09:08 AM
What is a draftee’s draft value? Depends on the player’s eval, team need, and scheme fit. PlayerA is a 3rd round value on EVERY mock draft that has EVER been made. However, PlayerA has the right eval, fits a team need better than the others, and will fit scheme perfectly. Therefore PlayerA has a higher than round 3 value. It is ALWAYS fluid and changing.

nuuuhhaaaahhhhh. REACH! OVERDRAFT! PLayerA clearly would have been there 3 rounds later and the team just panicked.

Born2Steel
04-03-2019, 09:36 AM
nuuuhhaaaahhhhh. REACH! OVERDRAFT! PLayerA clearly would have been there 3 rounds later and the team just panicked.

Lol!! Well the team better panic a little if they want an ILB that can come in and play day1. There is no Timmons or Shazier in this draft, IMO. But if they want to upgrade Vince or Bostic it has to happen at 20. I don’t think White, Bush, Wilson, Long, Pratt, or Garner-Johnson will be there at 52/3rd round pick. Just not many of those in this draft which makes them a higher draft value for all teams.

Mojouw
04-03-2019, 10:00 AM
Lol!! Well the team better panic a little if they want an ILB that can come in and play day1. There is no Timmons or Shazier in this draft, IMO. But if they want to upgrade Vince or Bostic it has to happen at 20. I don’t think White, Bush, Wilson, Long, Pratt, or Garner-Johnson will be there at 52/3rd round pick. Just not many of those in this draft which makes them a higher draft value for all teams.

Link! I read a draft board that says most of those guys won't go until after pick 90. Liar! Fake news!

I do agree. I think that the "experts" are going to be surprised at the run on off-ball capable LBers that goes down in the second round. Just like everyone will get surprised (again) when 4 QBs go in the opening round.

The more I read up on it, the harder time I am having not thinking my plan (if anyone asked me) would be to go BPA in Round 1 and take Long in Round 2 or even, if I think it could work, with one of the third round picks. Let VW/Barron/Bostic man the middle for the most part in 2019 and groom Long for a bigger role in 2020.

Born2Steel
04-03-2019, 11:54 AM
Link! I read a draft board that says most of those guys won't go until after pick 90. Liar! Fake news!

I do agree. I think that the "experts" are going to be surprised at the run on off-ball capable LBers that goes down in the second round. Just like everyone will get surprised (again) when 4 QBs go in the opening round.

The more I read up on it, the harder time I am having not thinking my plan (if anyone asked me) would be to go BPA in Round 1 and take Long in Round 2 or even, if I think it could work, with one of the third round picks. Let VW/Barron/Bostic man the middle for the most part in 2019 and groom Long for a bigger role in 2020.

Unfortunately I don’t see a single LB in this draft that looks to be the ‘total package’. Even so I think we should take one at 20 or 52. Whichever one is there.

Mojouw
04-03-2019, 12:03 PM
Unfortunately I don’t see a single LB in this draft that looks to be the ‘total package’. Even so I think we should take one at 20 or 52. Whichever one is there.

I can't argue with any of that. I am having a hard time getting an accurate read on how big the drop is from Devin Bush to Wilson and Long. Because I think that the tiers has to be something like White and Bush, then Wilson and Long, then Pratt and ?????, and then everyone else?

I don't know, but regardless of where you break it up -- what is the difference between Tier 1 and Tier 2? Like All-Pro to average starter or Pretty good to kinda good?

Born2Steel
04-03-2019, 12:18 PM
I can't argue with any of that. I am having a hard time getting an accurate read on how big the drop is from Devin Bush to Wilson and Long. Because I think that the tiers has to be something like White and Bush, then Wilson and Long, then Pratt and ?????, and then everyone else?

I don't know, but regardless of where you break it up -- what is the difference between Tier 1 and Tier 2? Like All-Pro to average starter or Pretty good to kinda good?

I break it into what they do on the field 90% of the time. White, Bush, and Wilson are dropping into a zone on most snaps. When they are used to rush the QB they all do that well. I don’t think any of them are perfect but all 3 are above average in coverage and pass rush. As for Long I have only the reservation that he might be just another VW. Excels at getting into the backfield and causing chaos, but I have no idea his cover skills. Pratt I see as among the rest but he seems to be a favorite on here so I included him earlier.

I think if Winovich, Fant, or another safety is in play at 20, then I have no problem with Long being in play as well.

teegre
04-04-2019, 06:56 AM
As far as drafting a player early vs. waiting, it reminds me of when they asked Mike Shannahan how he knew to wait until R5 to draft Terrell Davis. Shannahan replied, “If I had known that Terrell was that good, I would have drafted him in R1.”

Getting the most value is great. But, waiting can bite you in the butt.

Cowher wanted Devin Hester so bad that he could taste it. He waited... and lost out on Hester (and had to settle for Willie Reid).

Tomlin loved Darrelle Revis. He waited... and the Jets snagged him. In hindsight, trading away a R4 pick would have secured Revis. (Note: no one actually foresaw the Jets trading up like they did. But, my point is that “waiting” can sometimes backfire.)

Born2Steel
04-04-2019, 07:57 AM
As far as drafting a player early vs. waiting, it reminds me of when they asked Mike Shannahan how he knew to wait until R5 to draft Terrell Davis. Shannahan replied, “If I had known that Terrell was that good, I would have drafted him in R1.”

Cowher wanted Devin Hester so bad that he could taste it. He waited... and lost out on Hester (and had to settle for Willie Reid).

Tomlin loved Darrelle Revis. He waited... and the Jets snagged him. In hindsight, trading away a R4 pick would have secured Revis. (Note: no one actually foresaw the Jets trading up like they did. But, my point is that “waiting” can sometimes backfire.)

Right. And only time is going to prove the value of any draft pick anyway.

Fire Goodell
04-04-2019, 04:26 PM

Yep. The fun thing about having a good draft, is knowing that if people knew how good certain players would become... TJ Watt and Juju would have definitely went before our 1st round pick in 2017, James Conner would have possibly gone in round 2 :chuckle:

And Big Ben in hindsight would have been the #1 pick over Rivers and Eli Manning. Antonio Brown would have easily been a top 5 pick.

pczach
04-04-2019, 07:37 PM
Yep. The fun thing about having a good draft, is knowing that if people knew how good certain players would become... TJ Watt and Juju would have definitely went before our 1st round pick in 2017, James Conner would have possibly gone in round 2 :chuckle:

And Big Ben in hindsight would have been the #1 pick over Rivers and Eli Manning. Antonio Brown would have easily been a top 5 pick.

How true.

The more amazing thing is......sometimes we believe players will be that good, but you still weigh how you believe others value players.

For example, some of us loved Hargrave coming out of the draft. I believed he could be as good as anyone in the draft, but knew that "everyone" was valuing him as a fourth round talent. I wouldn't have drafted him in the first round, only because I thought everyone else wouldn't touch him until much later in the draft. The team seemed to feel the same way about him, and snatched him up before any other team was willing to take him. They now reap the benefit of everyone else underestimating his talents.

Such is the nature of the draft. There is no crystal ball. Teams need to believe in their evaluations and hope the evaluations are accurate, and they get lucky with the availability of the players when they pick. If not, they need to move up to get them when they can using other draft picks.

The future of your franchise is decided over a couple days, and nobody knows for sure how they did.

The drama of the draft!

teegre
04-05-2019, 06:51 AM
In 2001, the Steelers reeeally wanted Dan Morgan. When he was drafted at 13, they “could” have drafted Casey Hampton at 16. Instead, they traded back to 19, because the odds were that he’d still be there. (He was.)

It was a calculated risk.

Then, in R2, they used the picks that they had just acquired (from trading down from 16 to 19) to move up for Kendrell Bell.

SUMMATION:
2001 was an example of everything involved in “missing out on your guy” versus “value” versus “getting your guy” (the Steelers did all three).

Fire Goodell
04-05-2019, 12:05 PM
Man, I always thought Kendrell Bell could have been great, too bad he couldn't stay healthy. After his rookie season, I don't think I was ever more excited about a player having a great career for the Steelers, and it was just disappointment from then on.

hawaiiansteeler
04-05-2019, 03:05 PM
In 2001, the Steelers reeeally wanted Dan Morgan. When he was drafted at 13, they “could” have drafted Casey Hampton at 16. Instead, they traded back to 19, because the odds were that he’d still be there. (He was.)

It was a calculated risk.

Then, in R2, they used the picks that they had just acquired (from trading down from 16 to 19) to move up for Kendrell Bell.

SUMMATION:

the Steelers wasted those picks they got for trading down for Casey Hampton

there, fixed that for you! :wink02:

teegre
04-06-2019, 04:27 PM
there, fixed that for you! :wink02:

It depends on how you look at it. We got three great years out of Bell... which is three more than Burns, Dupree, & Jones combined.

Steeldude
04-06-2019, 04:35 PM
I concur

Time for a change, be bold!

Be like the Pens!

Don't be afraid to make big moves

Yes, but don't reach. I don't to see 3rd to 4th round talent taken in the 1st.

teegre
04-06-2019, 04:45 PM
Draft trade chart time!!!

If the Steelers trade their R1-R4 picks, they could get up to #5 overall.

The rest of their picks (their entire draft) could maaaybe get them up to #3.

They have no shot at #1.

QUESTION:
If Bosa is there at #3, would you trade your entire draft to acquire him?

QUESTION 2:
At #5 it becomes a little more interesting, because you’d still have five picks to fill holes. Yes, they’d be Day 3 camp fodder, but even if one of the five panned out... Bosa & another starter. That is very tempting. Do you do it???

hawaiiansteeler
04-06-2019, 04:57 PM
It depends on how you look at it. We got three great years out of Bell... which is three more than Burns, Dupree, & Jones combined.

Bell had only one interception and an average of 62 solo tackles during the 2001-03 seasons and followed that up with a whopping 6 solo tackles in 3 games played during his last season with the Steelers in 2004.

not exactly great, imo.

Mojouw
04-06-2019, 05:25 PM
Wait. In what world is Kendell Bell not a good draft pick? No way anyone could've predicted the disintegration of all of his joints and ligaments.

DesertSteel
04-06-2019, 06:32 PM
Draft trade chart time!!!

If the Steelers trade their R1-R4 picks, they could get up to #5 overall.

The rest of their picks (their entire draft) could maaaybe get them up to #3.

They have no shot at #1.

QUESTION:
If Bosa is there at #3, would you trade your entire draft to acquire him?

QUESTION 2:
At #5 it becomes a little more interesting, because you’d still have five picks to fill holes. Yes, they’d be Day 3 camp fodder, but even if one of the five panned out... Bosa & another starter. That is very tempting. Do you do it???
Not worth it. I do think we'll package a 3 or 4 with the #20 and move up about 5 spots.

teegre
04-07-2019, 10:08 AM
Bell had only one interception and an average of 62 solo tackles during the 2001-03 seasons and followed that up with a whopping 6 solo tackles in 3 games played during his last season with the Steelers in 2004.

not exactly great, imo.

Yea, 2004 sucked for Bell. No argument about that.

Bell’s first three seasons, though, were great. Yea, his INTs were pedestrian, but as an ILB, he had 9, 5, & 6 sacks... which was better than we have had for a long while (until VW two seasons ago). Plus, I remember that Browns playoff game where Bell absolutely dominated (on a hobbled ankle).

ALLD
04-09-2019, 04:29 PM
I wouldn't trade my entire draft for Ricky Williams either.

teegre
04-09-2019, 08:12 PM
I’d have traded the entire 2008 draft to have acquired Adrian Childbeater in the 2007 draft.

Imagine that defense along with Ben, Heath, Hines... and The Scrotum Whipper.

Dwinsgames
04-09-2019, 10:55 PM
I hope they trade the Oakland 5th ( damn near a 4th ) and our 4th to move up to early rd 3 ...gonna be a ton of good value picks 65-80

hawaiiansteeler
04-10-2019, 12:58 AM
I hope they trade the Oakland 5th ( damn near a 4th ) and our 4th to move up to early rd 3 ...gonna be a ton of good value picks 65-80

we already have #66, you want to trade up from our #83?

Leopardo
04-10-2019, 03:02 AM

He means our #122 and #141. But that's only 85 points in trade value, while a top 3rd round pick is around 250 points. No team is going to take that. If a player they really like drops to day 3 they can use them to trade up to the top of the 4th round though. I would do that.
http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=PIT

teegre
04-10-2019, 06:34 AM
Draft Trade Value time (part II):

R3 worth 175 points
R4 worth 50 points
R5 worth 35 points

R4 (50) + R5 (35) = 85 points ... Pick 104 (SanFran... note: Oak has at Pick 102)

R3 (175) + R5 (32) = 207 ... Pick 77

R3 (175) + R4 (50) = 225 ... Pick 73

*R3 (175) + R4 (50) + R5 (82) = 257 ... Pick 67*

*Trading R3 & R4 & R5 to move up in R3:
*67*
No R4
No R5
early R6
R6

teegre
04-10-2019, 06:49 AM
That said, the early R4 pick is a highly coveted spot to be picking. There’s always 4 or 5 players forgotten about. Teams try like crazy to get into the ”top five” of Day 3.

Trading the R5 pick moves us up six spots (into Dwins’s 65-80 range).

83 (175) + R5 (32) = 207 Pick 77

*77*
early R4
No R5 (traded)
early R6
R6

Trading the R5 pick AND the early R6 pick moves us up ten spots (waaay up into Dwins’s 65-80 range).

83 (175) + R5 (32) + R6 (21) = 228 ... Pick 73 (technically, we “could”’get pick 72, but that’s Cincy, who simply isn’t trading with us).

*73*
early R4
No R5 (traded)
no early R6 (traded)
R6

86WARD
04-10-2019, 07:28 AM
Late R3-early/mid R4 is the area for RB value. A lot of RB needy teams will be jockeying for those spots.

Leopardo
04-10-2019, 07:36 AM
As I understand Dwinsgames' post he isn't using our #66 pick to trade up, just our #122 and #141. But I can be wrong of course. Maybe he can clarify what he meant :wink02:

hawaiiansteeler
04-10-2019, 03:29 PM
As I understand Dwinsgames' post he isn't using our #66 pick to trade up, just our #122 and #141. But I can be wrong of course. Maybe he can clarify what he meant :wink02:

he must mean using our 3(83) pick also.

teegre
04-11-2019, 06:14 AM

Indeed. Dwins is not using pick #66. Likewise, in my trade scenarios, we always kept 66. I listed the following trading options:

122 & 141
83 & 141
83 & 122
83 & 122 & 141
83 & 141 & 175

hawaiiansteeler
04-11-2019, 04:32 PM
Indeed. Dwins is not using pick #66. Likewise, in my trade scenarios, we always kept 66. I listed the following trading options:

122 & 141
83 & 141
83 & 122
83 & 122 & 141
83 & 141 & 175

using pick #66 would allow us to trade up about 2 spots higher than #83.

steelreserve
04-11-2019, 04:56 PM
I’d have traded the entire 2008 draft to have acquired Adrian Childbeater in the 2007 draft.

Imagine that defense along with Ben, Heath, Hines... and The Scrotum Whipper.

To be fair, you could've traded the entire 2008 and 2009 drafts for a railroad car full of dogshit and come out no worse off than with the players we got, so that's not saying much.

At least the dogshit wouldn't play horribly and still keep getting on the field, and it'd leave town without drama. Hell, when you were done with the dogshit, you could just feed it to other dogs and it'd make a yummy snack. Or dump it all on Tommy Maddox's lawn.

Hound
04-11-2019, 05:21 PM
If I’m Colbert, I’m willing to trade one of our thirds and a sixth to move up and that’s it. The Steelers could use an influx of young talent on this team. Colbert has done an outstanding job for years, considering the Steelers usually pick toward the end of the draft.

teegre
04-12-2019, 06:51 AM
To be fair, you could've traded the entire 2008 and 2009 drafts for a railroad car full of dogshit and come out no worse off than with the players we got, so that's not saying much.

At least the dogshit wouldn't play horribly and still keep getting on the field, and it'd leave town without drama. Hell, when you were done with the dogshit, you could just feed it to other dogs and it'd make a yummy snack. Or dump it all on Tommy Maddox's lawn.

There is no question that 2008 sucked. As I already said, I’d have traded all of 2008 to get AP in 2007. Hindsight helps, but even in 2006, I was a tad bit “conflicted” about beating the Bengals... because, that victory knocked us out of the top ten (just a little too far to trade up for Captain CPS).

The consolation prize was supposed to be Darrelle Revis. :doh: I mean, Lawrence Timmons was a very good player for us, but the other two are on another level.

I disagree about the 2009 draft. People always rag on it, but it wasn’t anywhere as bad as 2008.

HOOD: Miscast as a 3-4 DE. He was a 4-3 DT. He’s never been great, but he’s like Tyson Alualu: a rock-solid player who has had a ten-year career. Should have he been the R1 choice? Probably not. But, he’s not a total “bust”.

URBIK: This one hurts, because we cut him... and he had a decent career in Buffalo. Considering how bad our O-line was at the time, a “decent” player would have been an upgrade.

WALLACE: The dude had 32 TDs in his first four seasons. No other Steelers receiver can say that (Louis Lipps was on that pace, but he got injured in his fourth season). Wallace’s last season and/or his departure tainted people’s view of him.

LEWIS: This was a head-scratcher. The dude looked great, but then had a meltdown after a pre-season game against the Giants (he smashed a glass case). He finally put it together in his final season... and then, was gone.

SHIPLEY: The man has started at OC for a decade. Alas, like Urbik, we cut him.

JOHNSON: Decent career fir a R7 pick. But... he missed that block in Super Bowl XLV (which caused the momentum-changing fumble).

Mojouw
04-12-2019, 10:59 AM
There is no question that 2008 sucked. As I already said, I’d have traded all of 2008 to get AP in 2007. Hindsight helps, but even in 2006, I was a tad bit “conflicted” about beating the Bengals... because, that victory knocked us out of the top ten (just a little too far to trade up for Captain CPS).

The consolation prize was supposed to be Darrelle Revis. :doh: I mean, Lawrence Timmons was a very good player for us, but the other two are on another level.

I disagree about the 2009 draft. People always rag on it, but it wasn’t anywhere as bad as 2008.

HOOD: Miscast as a 3-4 DE. He was a 4-3 DT. He’s never been great, but he’s like Tyson Alualu: a rock-solid player who has had a ten-year career. Should have he been the R1 choice? Probably not. But, he’s not a total “bust”.

URBIK: This one hurts, because we cut him... and he had a decent career in Buffalo. Considering how bad our O-line was at the time, a “decent” player would have been an upgrade.

WALLACE: The dude had 32 TDs in his first four seasons. No other Steelers receiver can say that (Louis Lipps was on that pace, but he got injured in his fourth season). Wallace’s last season and/or his departure tainted people’s view of him.

LEWIS: This was a head-scratcher. The dude looked great, but then had a meltdown after a pre-season game against the Giants (he smashed a glass case). He finally put it together in his final season... and then, was gone.

SHIPLEY: The man has started at OC for a decade. Alas, like Urbik, we cut him.

JOHNSON: Decent career fir a R7 pick. But... he missed that block in Super Bowl XLV (which caused the momentum-changing fumble).

In hindsight, that was a year where trading out of Round 1 for future picks would have been ideal. For better or worse, the organization really liked most of their 53 man roster and felt that many spots were not up for grabs. It just in retrospect seems like a situation screaming for them to find a trade partner for 2010 or 2011 draft picks. One of the things I dislike most about the Tomlin/Colbert draft approach is that they never seem to get bold. They are going to take 5-7 picks every year.

SteelMember
04-12-2019, 11:14 AM
In hindsight, that was a year where trading out of Round 1 for future picks would have been ideal. For better or worse, the organization really liked most of their 53 man roster and felt that many spots were not up for grabs. It just in retrospect seems like a situation screaming for them to find a trade partner for 2010 or 2011 draft picks. One of the things I dislike most about the Tomlin/Colbert draft approach is that they never seem to get bold. They are going to take 5-7 picks every year.

Yeah, they seem to like their camp fodder and warm bodies. Probably the biggest reason they keep scooping up all these AAF guys. Unfortunately, it's usually not enough talent to even challenge the mediocrity already established...

They should invest more picks to move up to more quality of talent. Sure, 10 picks may give you more chances to find that diamond in the ruff, but if only 4 guys end up with a chance to make it anyway, lets get 4 better guys earlier.

steelreserve
04-12-2019, 02:15 PM

I don't know about that one, man. It wasn't as bad as 2008 because we at least got one decent player for a few years (Wallace), but beyond that it was bottom-of-the-barrel awful.

Hood was quite probably our worst draft pick of this milennium. Worse than just a normal R1 pick who turns out to be a bust, because he sat there ACTUALLY playing in games as a starter and doing badly, and we stuck with him and suffered through five years of that because of his draft status. And that, in turn, set back our efforts to find a real replacement for Aaron Smith by years more than it should have. I don't know where you get "rock-solid" from unless you had eye problems from 2009-13 or so, because he was absolutely horrible for us. Zero impact ever. It was bad enough to cancel out one or two good picks, if you ask me.

We get zero points for drafting players who went on to play well for other teams. All we get out of it is a draft pick spent for zero return. Emmanuel Sanders was not a "home run" pick for us, as so many claim. He was an ok pick for us who filled the #3 receiver role for a couple years with some minor issues. Being great for Denver did not help us one iota.

So basically, four years of Wallace, a guy in the first round whose negative effects weighed us down enough to make up for that, and one guy (Johnson) who was barely acceptable. Not a great haul if you ask me; the dogshit has a pretty strong argument.

BlackAndGold
04-12-2019, 02:22 PM
Ramon Foster wasn't drafted but he was apart of that 09' class also.

Mojouw
04-12-2019, 02:25 PM
Yeah, they seem to like their camp fodder and warm bodies. Probably the biggest reason they keep scooping up all these AAF guys. Unfortunately, it's usually not enough talent to even challenge the mediocrity already established...

They should invest more picks to move up to more quality of talent. Sure, 10 picks may give you more chances to find that diamond in the ruff, but if only 4 guys end up with a chance to make it anyway, lets get 4 better guys earlier.
Can't argue with any of that. I wish they traded more often than they do. I think an under-used strategy on draft day is to trade picks for players. I know it is hard to find a dance partner -- but I would gladly ship some picks out of town for a disgruntled Jalen Ramsey. Rams and Eagles seem to be acquiring some well regarded players this way...

teegre
04-12-2019, 10:01 PM
We get zero points for drafting players who went on to play well for other teams. All we get out of it is a draft pick spent for zero return. Emmanuel Sanders was not a "home run" pick for us, as so many claim. He was an ok pick for us who filled the #3 receiver role for a couple years with some minor issues. Being great for Denver did not help us one iota.

True
Alas, it’s a shame that the O-line coach could not only “coach”, but he also couldn’t “evaluate” talent.

(Agree to disagree about Hood.)

hawaiiansteeler
04-20-2019, 09:20 PM
Bill Cowher Thinks Colbert Will ‘Entertain’ Trade Up In First Round

By Matthew Marczi
Posted on April 20, 2019

Pittsburgh Steelers Head Coach Mike Tomlin has never been involved in a draft-day trade involving the first round, in spite of the fact that he has been with the team for 12 years now. General Manager Kevin Colbert, on the other hand, has participated in two trades up in the first round, in 2003 for Troy Polamalu and then in 2006 for Santonio Holmes, the year before Tomlin was brought in.

Colbert’s partner during those two drafts in which trades took place was Bill Cowher, who took over the team as head coach in the early 90s. when Colbert was brought in, they seemed to have a connection, which was part of the puzzle that added up to their being able to reach an agreement to trade up.

With the Steelers entering another big draft and rumors of their potential to trade up this year looming, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reached out to Cowher to get his thoughts on the team’s current situation, calling upon his insights from working with Colbert.

“I certainly think they’re targeting a linebacker. It’s a question of how much do you have to give up to get there?”, he told Ray Fittipaldo. “It’ll be something they’ll entertain. When you get within 10 picks, that’s when you start to think about it. Need has to play into your decision-making. Taking best athlete is great if you don’t have needs. But sometimes need puts a greater value on players”.

to read rest of article:

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/04/bill-cowher-thinks-colbert-will-entertain-trade-up-in-first-round/

Dwinsgames
04-20-2019, 09:30 PM

I would like to see them trade the 122 and 141 and get back into rd 3

teegre
04-20-2019, 09:39 PM
I would like to see them trade the 122 and 141 and get back into rd 3

122 (50 points) + 141 (35 points) = 85 points... pick 104

That is the second pick on Day 3. Adding a R7 should get us up into the end of R3.

pczach
04-20-2019, 11:24 PM
This is where it gets very interesting if Devin White drops out of the top 10. Many recent rumors have the Bengals choosing a quarterback in the first round instead of ILB as most had them taking early in the process. If White gets past the Bengals, I think they could get very interested in moving up I to the teens to get him. I know that I would.

AtlantaDan
04-21-2019, 09:23 AM
SI throws a curve and rather than having the Steelers trade up has the Steelers trading down and out of the first round in this mock draft :noidea:

20. *PROJECTED TRADE UP* San Francisco (from Pittsburgh): Greedy Williams, CB, LSU
The 49ers, in need of some defensive backs that can catch the ball now that they’ve upgraded their pass rush, jump up from Pick 36, giving the Steelers a third-rounder (No. 67) and a 2020 sixth-rounder for this pick and the Steelers’ fifth-rounder (No. 141)…

36. *PROJECTED TRADE DOWN* Pittsburgh (from San Francisco): N’Keal Harry, WR, Arizona State
As my co-host and candidate for state comptroller Andy Benoit and I have discussed a couple times on The Monday Morning NFL Podcast (https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-mmqb-10-things/id916244917?mt=2): Antonio Brown is secretly one of the best contested-catch receivers in football. So why not replace him with the best contested-catch receiver in this draft class? Harry can play the slot early on as JuJu Smith-Schuster spends more time outside to replace Brown.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/20/mock-draft-trade-down-giants-kyler-murray?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=social-share-article&utm_content=20190421

AJRII might fire Colbert immediately on Thursday night if the Steelers did this :chuckle:

pczach
04-21-2019, 10:04 AM
SI throws a curve and rather than having the Steelers trade up has the Steelers trading down and out of the first round in this mock draft :noidea:

20. *PROJECTED TRADE UP* San Francisco (from Pittsburgh): Greedy Williams, CB, LSU
The 49ers, in need of some defensive backs that can catch the ball now that they’ve upgraded their pass rush, jump up from Pick 36, giving the Steelers a third-rounder (No. 67) and a 2020 sixth-rounder for this pick and the Steelers’ fifth-rounder (No. 141)…

36. *PROJECTED TRADE DOWN* Pittsburgh (from San Francisco): N’Keal Harry, WR, Arizona State
As my co-host and candidate for state comptroller Andy Benoit and I have discussed a couple times on The Monday Morning NFL Podcast (https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-mmqb-10-things/id916244917?mt=2): Antonio Brown is secretly one of the best contested-catch receivers in football. So why not replace him with the best contested-catch receiver in this draft class? Harry can play the slot early on as JuJu Smith-Schuster spends more time outside to replace Brown.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/20/mock-draft-trade-down-giants-kyler-murray?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=social-share-article&utm_content=20190421

AJRII might fire Colbert immediately on Thursday night if the Steelers did this :chuckle:

I would be perfectly fine with trading down if a player like White doesn't drop to them. I think the meat of this draft if you don't have a top 15 pick is in the late 1st through the 4th round. Trade down, get additional picks, then use the existing picks to move up a couple times to snag specific players they covet.

I can dig it!

Mojouw
04-21-2019, 10:29 AM
If they trade down everyone will argue that it was dumb because they need immediate help because SB. If they stay put it will be bad because they’ll just reach for a guy that could’ve been on the board 4 rounds later. If they trade up it’ll be bad because they’re gonna be giving up too much to get a raw player who needs coaching the team doesn’t have.

Should be a fun weekend.

Hawkman
04-21-2019, 10:41 AM
If they trade down everyone will argue that it was dumb because they need immediate help because SB. If they stay put it will be bad because they’ll just reach for a guy that could’ve been on the board 4 rounds later. If they trade up it’ll be bad because they’re gonna be giving up too much to get a raw player who needs coaching the team doesn’t have.

Should be a fun weekend.

:applaudit::rofl2:

AtlantaDan
04-21-2019, 10:43 AM

Should be a fun weekend.

Unfortunately the win now game plan took a major hit when AB forced his way off the team but with an aging OL and QB that still is where this team is at

I would be very surprised if they traded down even if from a straight value standpoint that might be the appropriate move with the available talent at pick #20 - if the two Devins go off the board before the Steelers make a move to trade up Thursday night will be when the flamethrowers come out

Born2Steel
04-21-2019, 11:17 AM
10 picks. Surely they select 1 or 2 players that will be useful going forward. The OL is aging but the rest of the offense has gotten younger. Have to think Rudolph is the heir to the throne or at least the plan. I can see a versatile OG/C being selected this draft, I thought one would be selected last draft but went with Chuks instead. Going forward(after Foster, Pouncey, Decastro retire) OL looks like AV, Finney, not on team yet, Feiler, Chuks?
JuJu, Wash, Moncrief(maybe), not on team yet as the new young WRs. Conner and Samuels already have a firm grip on the RB corps moving forward. The future of this offense is already taking shape.

The defense is maybe in the last year under the current DC. Have to be a little more patient on that side until there is a clear direction and plan. As for now we fans really have no idea what the future is on the defensive side of things. Could be in much better shape than we think, or maybe not. Just need better players right now.

teegre
04-21-2019, 01:19 PM

I would not mind trading down from 20, and also, simultaneously trading up from R4 & R5... collecting as many picks between 33 and 102 as possible.

DesertSteel
04-21-2019, 02:43 PM
I would not mind trading down from 20, and also, simultaneously trading up from R4 & R5... collecting as many picks between 33 and 102 as possible.
A bunch of 2nd and 3rd rounders would look good to me...

teegre
04-21-2019, 03:06 PM
A bunch of 2nd and 3rd rounders would look good to me...

IMO, that is the "sweet spot" of the draft: not too much cost, but still a lot of highly-skilled players.

In other words, you can gamble on "fringe" players without setting yourself back if you do indeed whiff. Plus, the averages say that if you have two R2 picks (versus one R1 pick), you are more likely to "hit" on one of those two. Of course, the ceiling is higher for a R1 pick (for obvious reasons), but sometimes those R2 guys are just as good (but simply did not produce well enough in college to warrant a R1 draft slot).

hawaiiansteeler
04-21-2019, 06:29 PM
IMO, that is the "sweet spot" of the draft: not too much cost, but still a lot of highly-skilled players.

In other words, you can gamble on "fringe" players without setting yourself back if you do indeed whiff. Plus, the averages say that if you have two R2 picks (versus one R1 pick), you are more likely to "hit" on one of those two. Of course, the ceiling is higher for a R1 pick (for obvious reasons), but sometimes those R2 guys are just as good (but simply did not produce well enough in college to warrant a R1 draft slot).

Colbert likes the fifth-year option that Round 1 draft picks have, it does provide additional value.

DesertSteel
04-21-2019, 08:32 PM
Colbert likes the fifth-year option that Round 1 draft picks have, it does provide additional value.
Yes! Where would we be without the 5th year on Bud?!

86WARD
04-22-2019, 05:28 AM

It’s why there is so much action and talk at the ass end of the first round...people want that option year...it carries value and its part of the reason the “trade value chart” is a little out dated.

teegre
04-22-2019, 12:25 PM

Very true.

Then again, the value at the top of R2 is insane. Teams have had 18 hours to reorganize their boards... and someone always drops... and, we’d be in position to nab him. Or, if one is willing to trade back, you can reap a nice haul.

hawaiiansteeler
04-23-2019, 05:56 PM
the Steelers are working to get a new deal for Ben done before the draft, could they be possibly exploring creating enough cap room to trade for Patrick Peterson or maybe clearing a trade up scenario for a LB?

04-24-2019, 12:13 PM
the Steelers are working to get a new deal for Ben done before the draft, could they be possibly exploring creating enough cap room to trade for Patrick Peterson or maybe clearing a trade up scenario for a LB? I think they want to go into this draft with all optional open and for once looks like they have. There should be no reaching for players and etc.

polamalubeast
04-24-2019, 09:16 PM
Under Tomlin, the steelers have never made a trade up or down in the first round .... the safe bet is that the steelers will stay put again!

04-24-2019, 09:51 PM
Under Tomlin, the steelers have never made a trade up or down in the first round .... the safe bet is that the steelers will stay put again! Most likely the case this draft as well. Now though they have the option to inquire and listen to phone calls and act if they are interested.