PDA

View Full Version : Steelers reach a 2 year deal with linebacker Mark Barron

BlackAndGold
03-17-2019, 04:47 PM

- - - Updated - - -

FWIW: He's not good. Rams fans hated him.

Mojouw
03-17-2019, 04:50 PM
Gamble that the Mark Barron of 2 years ago shows back-up.

Positive side -- he doesn't count against the FA comp pick formula because he was cut.

st33lersguy
03-17-2019, 04:50 PM
Interesting signing. I know he was drafted as a safety, has had played any safety recently.

Also interesting as he injured Ben's mcl in 2015. Hopefully all water under the bridge now

AtlantaDan
03-17-2019, 04:58 PM
Also interesting as he injured Ben's mcl in 2015. Hopefully all water under the bridge now

No chance - emergency out of season radio appearance coming on Tuesday morning to denounce signing :chuckle:

BlackAndGold
03-17-2019, 04:59 PM
Interesting signing. I know he was drafted as a safety, has had played any safety recently.

Not since his first 2 years with the Bucs.

He's what you call a dime backer. I expect a Burnett being released report soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Ben will fumble on purpose every game Barron plays.

Mojouw
03-17-2019, 05:00 PM
I think the Rams used him as an ILB in Wade Phillips' version of a 3-4.

He's 29 and has never really lived up to his draft status - he went 7th overall!

I suspect he is better than Bostic and Fort alongside VW.

Wonder what that deal really looks like?

hawaiiansteeler
03-17-2019, 05:05 PM
Barron will be covering the other team's best WR...

Mojouw
03-17-2019, 05:09 PM
Did anyone else forget he was on the market and a thing? I certainly did!

hawaiiansteeler
03-17-2019, 05:12 PM
Did anyone else forget he was on the market and a thing? I certainly did!

my friend who is a Rams' fan just gave me very mixed reviews about Barron.

Mojouw
03-17-2019, 05:22 PM
my friend who is a Rams' fan just gave me very mixed reviews about Barron.

Yeah a quick tour around the internets seems to create a picture that Barron may be kinda sorta good if he isn't hurt and kinda sorta a liability. maybe both all at the same time.

If they designate Burnett a post 6/1 cut, then he frees up $5 million on the 2019 cap. I'm gonna bet that Barron's 2 year deal is not for $6 million each year. Something with a low 2019 salary and a medium signing bonus with a high salary in 2020 if he seizes a starting spot. So basically I'm gonna bet that it is a 1 year deal for a bit less than Burnett's cap charge with a 2020 "option" if Barron manages to end up on the positive side of those mixed reviews. So basically, Chickfilet's deal with bigger numbers...

DesertSteel
03-17-2019, 05:27 PM
Another oft-injured hybrid S/LB???

steelreserve
03-17-2019, 05:35 PM
So it sounds like this guy might be twice as good as Cam Thomas for twice as much money. Sounds about right.

Yeah a quick tour around the internets seems to create a picture that Barron may be kinda sorta good if he isn't hurt and kinda sorta a liability. maybe both all at the same time.

If they designate Burnett a post 6/1 cut, then he frees up $5 million on the 2019 cap. I'm gonna bet that Barron's 2 year deal is not for $6 million each year. Something with a low 2019 salary and a medium signing bonus with a high salary in 2020 if he seizes a starting spot. So basically I'm gonna bet that it is a 1 year deal for a bit less than Burnett's cap charge with a 2020 "option" if Barron manages to end up on the positive side of those mixed reviews. So basically, Chickfilet's deal with bigger numbers...

What a wonderful new strategy we've stumbled upon. If we keep giving everybody two-year contracts where it's basically impossible to keep them in year 2 ... and backload most of the first year's pay into year 2 dead money ... pretty soon we'll have a rolling $10M-$15M dead cap charge AND we'll have to cut all the players after one season!

And if we want to get into some REALLY advanced shit, like with Burnett, we can make ourselves eat dead money for TWO years for a guy who only played for us ONE season!

"Why didn't I think of this before?! It's a stroke of genius!"

"Uh, Mr. Rooney, that's not how --"

"A STROKE OF GENIUS!!"

"But Mr. Rooney --" ... (sigh) ... "You know what, it's fine. I'll get on it right away, sir."

Mojouw
03-17-2019, 05:58 PM
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/3/15/18266458/free-agent-contracts-guaranteed-money-how-long-do-deals-last

Actual information and stuff that indicates that these types of deals are pretty common.
But hey, nothing wrong with going off half-cocked and without the full information in order to ensure that you are first and everyone knows you were first.

In all seriousness, one version of this deal is likely pretty good for the team and another version of this deal is likely pretty piss poor. Hopefully the dump the details later this week. I suspect that since the details are not out right away, the deal is NOT in the players favor.

So the question becomes is Barron at 29 years old a better ILB/Dimebacker than anyone not named Devin in the 2019 draft? I don't know enough about guys not named Devin in the draft and Barron to answer. The internet seems to say probably?

Dwinsgames
03-17-2019, 06:08 PM

Mojouw
03-17-2019, 06:11 PM

Nice.

86WARD
03-17-2019, 06:24 PM
Meh...doesn’t excite me...

hawaiiansteeler
03-17-2019, 06:28 PM
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/3/15/18266458/free-agent-contracts-guaranteed-money-how-long-do-deals-last

So the question becomes is Barron at 29 years old a better ILB/Dimebacker than anyone not named Devin in the 2019 draft? I don't know enough about guys not named Devin in the draft and Barron to answer. The internet seems to say probably?

there's no guarantee that either of the Devins will be available when we pick. we tried to draft an ILB in the first round last year and struck out so Barron may very well be an insurance policy against that happening again.

Mojouw
03-17-2019, 06:47 PM
there's no guarantee that either of the Devins will be available when we pick. we tried to draft an ILB in the first round last year and struck out so Barron may very well be an insurance policy against that happening again.

That's what I was driving at. He's a 1-2 year stopgap against having to force a draft pick.

Dwinsgames
03-17-2019, 06:54 PM
That's what I was driving at. He's a 1-2 year stopgap against having to force a draft pick.

and IF ( there is that little word with so much meaning again ) he can stay healthy its not a bad move by the front office .... but again that 2 letter word is HUGE

Born2Steel
03-17-2019, 07:06 PM

Actual information and stuff that indicates that these types of deals are pretty common.
But hey, nothing wrong with going off half-cocked and without the full information in order to ensure that you are first and everyone knows you were first.

In all seriousness, one version of this deal is likely pretty good for the team and another version of this deal is likely pretty piss poor. Hopefully the dump the details later this week. I suspect that since the details are not out right away, the deal is NOT in the players favor.

Utah's Cody Barton is another one of those Dimebacker type LBs. So a sub-package player only probably.
Texas Tech's Dakota Allen fits that same mold.

Both are probably 3rd round prospects, maybe 4th.

Mack Wilson, Alabama is going to be a better "Shazier" LB than both of the Devins. He's better in coverage and can hit as hard as anyone when tackling.

SteelerCountry58
03-17-2019, 07:06 PM
Interesting Barron and Edmonds are so similar, size, position and style.

Mojouw
03-17-2019, 07:18 PM
Utah's Cody Barton is another one of those Dimebacker type LBs. So a sub-package player only probably.
Texas Tech's Dakota Allen fits that same mold.

Both are probably 3rd round prospects, maybe 4th.

Mack Wilson, Alabama is going to be a better "Shazier" LB than both of the Devins. He's better in coverage and can hit as hard as anyone when tackling.

You have a pretty unique Wilson take. I've read about how he kinda isn't that good. But I've not really understood what the criticism of Wilson has been.

Born2Steel
03-17-2019, 07:26 PM
You have a pretty unique Wilson take. I've read about how he kinda isn't that good. But I've not really understood what the criticism of Wilson has been.

I started a thread on him today with game tape vs Texas A&M and Clemson, scouting profiles, highlight tape, and the LSU/Bama game tape from last season so you can watch Wilson and White in the same game. I have read the reports that he is more of a 2 down ILB at the NFL level, I just disagree with that assessment. That's all there is to it. I don't know any more than anybody else, just my football opinion.

Just realized Devin White did not play in the Bama game this season. But you can watch Mack Wilson vs LSU from that thread.

st33lersguy
03-17-2019, 08:01 PM
BTW, this has to be about the eighth time the Steelers have handed out a two year contract to a player, new or existing. There's gonna be A LOT of free agents in the 2021 offseason

- - - Updated - - -

I started a thread on him today with game tape vs Texas A&M and Clemson, scouting profiles, highlight tape, and the LSU/Bama game tape from last season so you can watch Wilson and White in the same game. I have read the reports that he is more of a 2 down ILB at the NFL level, I just disagree with that assessment. That's all there is to it. I don't know any more than anybody else, just my football opinion.

Just realized Devin White did not play in the Bama game this season. But you can watch Mack Wilson vs LSU from that thread.

Did you check the 2nd half, I know he had to sit out the first half due to a questionable targeting penalty the week prior

Mojouw
03-17-2019, 08:03 PM

I'll check it out. Be interested to see if runs and does drills at his pro day.

Born2Steel
03-17-2019, 08:08 PM
BTW, this has to be about the eighth time the Steelers have handed out a two year contract to a player, new or existing. There's gonna be A LOT of free agents in the 2021 offseason

- - - Updated - - -

Did you check the 2nd half, I know he had to sit out the first half due to a questionable targeting penalty the week prior

I have not yet. Only watched some of it so far. The announcers said something about the defense being without White in the first quarter when Battle went out injured. Maybe on Bama's first drive. I have mostly watched it from the Wilson side of things so far. But that is great news to me if I can get White in the same game footage. thanks for the info.

hawaiiansteeler
03-17-2019, 09:44 PM
Steelers signed ILB Mark Barron, formerly of the Rams, to a two-year, $12 million contract.
The Rams initially released Barron in early March with the idea they could re-sign him in the open market. He'll instead play behind Vince Williams in the middle of DC Keith Butler's modified version of the 4-3 defense. 30 in October, Barron's play plummeted last season and will need to be much better if he expects to compete for reps ahead of ILB Jon Bostic.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Shoes
03-17-2019, 09:48 PM
Sometimes I feel like the Steelers are like an old inner tube with about 25 patches on it. :chuckle:

Mojouw
03-17-2019, 09:54 PM
Steelers signed ILB Mark Barron, formerly of the Rams, to a two-year, $12 million contract.
The Rams initially released Barron in early March with the idea they could re-sign him in the open market. He'll instead play behind Vince Williams in the middle of DC Keith Butler's modified version of the 4-3 defense. 30 in October, Barron's play plummeted last season and will need to be much better if he expects to compete for reps ahead of ILB Jon Bostic.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Read that same blurb. Not gonna worry too much as it also claims the team runs a 4-3. So modified or not, unless I missed a pretty important story, it's Rotoworld revealing how little they sometimes know about individual teams.

Love the site and it's content but it's little capsule summaries are sometimes well off for non start or offense players.

That being said, Barron is no sure thing.

hawaiiansteeler
03-17-2019, 10:04 PM
That being said, Barron is no sure thing.

do you think it could affect our draft plans?

Mojouw
03-17-2019, 10:21 PM
do you think it could affect our draft plans?

In the same way that McCullers, Moncrief, and Chickillo impacted the draft plan. Gives team an option they can realistically line up and play competitive NFL games with.

Now they can work their board and not be forced to do anything. Just like Bostic allowed them to not panic and trade 2 years worth of picks or something when all those linebackers came off the board last year.

ThorndikeFFA
03-17-2019, 10:40 PM
^This.

We see it every year. The Steelers pick up/retain the serviceable bits of a team that, if need be, they can field a team on game day. Then they pick BPA in rounds 1-4. Nothing new under the sun.

Mojouw
03-17-2019, 10:47 PM
^This.

We see it every year. The Steelers pick up/retain the serviceable bits of a team that, if need be, they can field a team on game day. Then they pick BPA in rounds 1-4. Nothing new under the sun.

Well said. That's why, I think, so many of the deals are two years long. If it works great. If not, no blood on the cap sheet.

DesertSteel
03-18-2019, 12:11 AM
^This.

Good plan. Unless those BPAs turn out to be busts like Burns, Dupree and Jones.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
03-18-2019, 12:17 AM
Good plan. Unless those BPAs turn out to be busts like Burns, Dupree and Jones. Burns wasn't BPA and a need pick.

hawaiiansteeler
03-18-2019, 12:48 AM
Burns wasn't BPA and a need pick.

when it was our turn to pick I was screaming at the tv for us to select either ILB Jaylon Smith or Myles Jack in that draft.

I wish we had chosen Smith or Jack instead of Burns, ILB wouldn't be such a big need right now.

teegre
03-18-2019, 06:55 AM
Good plan. Unless those BPAs turn out to be busts like Burns, Dupree and Jones.

Or, it’s Watt, JuJu, DeCastro (et al)... and we smile.

FrancoLambert
03-18-2019, 08:04 AM
^This.

​serviceable = mediocre

Dwinsgames
03-18-2019, 08:11 AM
Terrell Edmunds

T.J. Watt

Artie Burns

Bud Dupree

Ryan Shazier

Jarvis Jones

David DeCastro

Cameron Hayward

Maurkice Pouncey

Ziggy Hood

Rashard Mendenhall

Lawrence Timmons

Santonio Holmes

Heath Miller

Ben Roethlisberger

Troy Polamalu

not so worried about round 1 ....... sure we have some failures but over all pretty solid esp considering we normally draft 25th or later

Dwinsgames
03-18-2019, 08:19 AM
Round 2 ... that is where I start to worry ...

still really valuable selection points and we simply have failed to often to capitalize over the same time frame ....

James Washington

JuJu Smith-Schuster

Sean Davis

Senquez Golson

Stephon Tuitt

Le'Veon Bell

Mike Adams

Marcus Gilbert

Jason Worilds

Kraig Urbik

Limas Sweed

LaMarr Woodley

Anthony Smith

Bryant McFadden

Ricardo Colclough

Alonzo Jackson

sure some SOLID selections but the hit rate has dramatically went down percentage wise ( but I suspect league wide ) that said some were head scratcher moves when they took place ( for me anyways )

the idea of the draft for me is to always remove more talent than you leave behind in each round and ideally you fill some holes along the way , sure if it is close always fill the need or try and trade back to where need fits pick point for value nobody goes to buy a new car and offers more than sticker price so do not over pay just to fill the need

Hound
03-18-2019, 09:08 AM
Barron was brought in to fill the sub package position. He will be the extra safety or the small backer whatever you want to call it. I see the Steelers still trying to move up and grabbing a Devin

Mojouw
03-18-2019, 11:03 AM
​serviceable = mediocre

Which is what you get to wallpaper over a roster crack.

FA is not where you load up on great players that solve problems. It's where you get short term mediocre solutions to crisis in order to prevent you from Jarvis Jonesing in the draft.

If you don't sign a mediocre talent like Barron, imagine draft day. White goes top 10. Steelers start working the phones to get their guy. Entire league knows their deal and just asks for the moon. Do they pay it and cripple future depth or not pay it and open 2019 with me at LBer?

I think a few million Barron's way to be a mediocre fallback is not the worst idea.

Fire Goodell
03-18-2019, 11:50 AM
Is he playing fulltime linebacker? He's been in that role with the Rams. If so, he should be an upgrade over Fort

- - - Updated - - -

When we draft for need, it's usually a bust pick. Burns, Dupree, Jones.. Well TJ Watt thankfully turned out great. We do have a tendency to reach if it's a glaring need, however. So maybe this is good that we're signing guys at need positions before the draft. I think KC has a tendency to outsmart himself in some cases like the Burns and Edmunds picks (though I'm still holding out hope that edmunds works out, though he was slated to go in rd 3-4?)

FrancoLambert
03-18-2019, 11:58 AM
Which is what you get to wallpaper over a roster crack.

FA is not where you load up on great players that solve problems. It's where you get short term mediocre solutions to crisis in order to prevent you from Jarvis Jonesing in the draft.

If you don't sign a mediocre talent like Barron, imagine draft day. White goes top 10. Steelers start working the phones to get their guy. Entire league knows their deal and just asks for the moon. Do they pay it and cripple future depth or not pay it and open 2019 with me at LBer?

I think a few million Barron's way to be a mediocre fallback is not the worst idea.

I get your point, and it’s a good one.
The problem is having too many ”serviceable” players on any one unit, like our defense.
Bostic is a serviceable LB. I’d put Dupree a slight notch above serviceable.
Artie Burns should work at a service station, I don’t consider him serviceable.
Sensabaugh is serviceable.
Sure, wallpaper covers a crack, but the crack is still there and usually reopens.
:drink:

DesertSteel
03-18-2019, 12:07 PM
Yes... that's when it's a good plan!!

Not just the 1st round, but all rounds BPA will end up helping your team in the long run more than trying to plug holes by reaching.

Born2Steel
03-18-2019, 12:08 PM
Getting hard to follow. Does this mean we like adding Barron or not? Or is it another meh signing?

Mojouw
03-18-2019, 12:17 PM
I get your point, and it’s a good one.
The problem is having too many ”serviceable” players on any one unit, like our defense.
Bostic is a serviceable LB. I’d put Dupree a slight notch above serviceable.
Artie Burns should work at a service station, I don’t consider him serviceable.
Sensabaugh is serviceable.
Sure, wallpaper covers a crack, but the crack is still there and usually reopens.
:drink:

Ceratinly. It is a two stage process. The first is to get to draft day with no obvious yawning chasms in your starting 11 on either side of the ball. Then you have to nail about 3 picks a draft so that you can rotate those serviceable dudes out of the starting line-up.

I believe that Colbert has identified the correct process. The results have not always been good - but that does not mean the process is flawed.

Sensabaugh is only in the line-up because Burns, Sutton, and even Golson have not lived up to any of their draft billing. And I reject the 20/20 hindsight some like to have that everyone knew Burns was bad. There were just as many people who were sure Burns was a good pick both Steelers fans and non-fans as well. In contrast, we were all pretty sure that Jarvis Jones was bad....and I think that is where Colbert changed his process. He is no longer willing to go into the draft "locked" to a position. Because it doesn't go well.

Process - signing serviceable guys to plug holes for 1-2 years
Results - do the draft picks successfully come on-line in that 1-2 year window

DesertSteel
03-18-2019, 12:58 PM
Getting hard to follow. Does this mean we like adding Barron or not? Or is it another meh signing?
I'm trying to figure that out too! Lots of mixed reviews on both him and Nelson.

So far, my FA rankings are:
1. Moncrief
2. Nelson
3. Barron

- - - Updated - - -

And I reject the 20/20 hindsight some like to have that everyone knew Burns was bad.
I give props to El-Gonzo because he was ripping that pick from the first day over on Steelers Fever. And he laid out all the reasons for doing so -- and he was RIGHT!

Fire Goodell
03-18-2019, 01:08 PM
I'm trying to figure that out too! Lots of mixed reviews on both him and Nelson.

1. Moncrief
2. Nelson
3. Barron

- - - Updated - - -

I give props to El-Gonzo because he was ripping that pick from the first day over on Steelers Fever. And he laid out all the reasons for doing so -- and he was RIGHT!

I think these additions are smart ones. Middle of the road, not terrible players. I think we might be trying a strategy like the patriots use (collecting a bunch of pretty good players, so you won't have more than a few strengths, but no holes either)

Barron as far as I know, transitioned to linebacker full time a couple years ago? I'm guessing we were looking to sign an upgrade at the mack LB position, which is why we pretty much let Fort go without an offer.
Nelson is an upgrade to the secondary, should beat out Artie burns and Sensabaugh pretty easily.
Moncrief softens the blow of losing AB. Has the speed to make defenses pay for doubling Juju

No world-breaking mega superstar deals, but honestly I like all of them so far.

DesertSteel
03-18-2019, 01:24 PM
Barron had the one monster year in 2015 when he had 16 TFL... I'd like to have THAT guy!

Plus, he was the 7th overall pick of the 1st round in 2012.

Mojouw
03-18-2019, 01:44 PM

1. Moncrief
2. Nelson
3. Barron

- - - Updated - - -

I acknowledge that there were some who ripped it from the jump, and that dude was and is one. Many in fandom and the media are late to the party and want to pretend they got there on time.

I liked the pick at the time and through his rookie year. Now I see that was dumb because the limitations were there to see from the start.

DesertSteel
03-18-2019, 02:41 PM
I acknowledge that there were some who ripped it from the jump, and that dude was and is one. Many in fandom and the media are late to the party and want to pretend they got there on time.

I liked the pick at the time and through his rookie year. Now I see that was dumb because the limitations were there to see from the start.
The only recent guy I ripped from day one was Jarvis Jones. I know that 40 time isn't everything but I couldn't believe they drafted an Edge player with 4.9 speed and poor strength.

Fire Goodell
03-18-2019, 03:07 PM
Barron had the one monster year in 2015 when he had 16 TFL... I'd like to have THAT guy!

Plus, he was the 7th overall pick of the 1st round in 2012.

I wouldn't complain if we got the one from 2 years ago. He was also rated by PFF as the Rams' top defender in the SB, FWIW

Makes sense why they let Fort go, they want to get faster at LB. Fort was our best coverage backer and he ran like a 4.67 40, shows how much speed we're lacking in that position. I could probably beat Dirty Red in a foot race lol.

hawaiiansteeler
03-18-2019, 04:13 PM
Steelers sign LB Mark Barron (2 years, $12 million): B Grade

Mark Barron is coming off his worst year yet, but that may have been because of an ankle injury he never recovered from. Barron should recover and perform better in 2019, though his age (30 in October) is starting to be a factor.

That said, this is a fine signing. The Steelers are desperate for linebacker help, and while Barron won't fill the need, he'll at least provide some nice insurance in case the front office can't obtain Devin Bush in the 2019 NFL Draft (or Devin White via a trade up.)

This contract is for what I thought it would be, though it's a bit disappointing that the Steelers couldn't get Barron on a slightly better deal, given his injuries from last year.

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php#chtF3L90hIiFMppC.99

pczach
03-20-2019, 07:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDPBLn-pJjo

Shoes
03-20-2019, 07:11 PM
https://steelersdepot.com/2019/03/barrons-former-teammate-chris-long-youre-going-to-like-mark/

pczach
03-20-2019, 07:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptl0jGZSZBo