PDA

View Full Version : Alabama ILB Mack Wilson

Born2Steel
03-17-2019, 10:32 AM
I mean the guys name is MACK for crying out loud!
https://steelersdepot.com/2019/01/2019-nfl-draft-player-profiles-alabama-lb-mack-wilson/

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/mack-wilson

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2019/02/14/2019-nfl-draft-profile-mack-wilson-alabama/

Considered his best game film by The Draft Network:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78oqxfd1Vsc

SEC Championship game Bama vs Georgia.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuxFumxwnpA

National Championship game vs Clemson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Bxu4j25lXQ

I see a lot of draft sites calling Mack Wilson a 2nd round prospect. I disagree with that analysis. With 10 picks in this year's draft we can afford to take a couple chances. Maybe Wilson is a reach guy at 20, maybe that is his perfect spot. I feel he is more of a 1st round guy than Devin Bush and only slightly behind Devin White.

Even White is considered a 1st round risk by these guys.
https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/devin-white

Here is Bama vs LSU 2018. This is the entire game so about 2.5hrs long. You can fast forward to see the Mack Wilson plays only, then do the same and watch when White is on the field, or the other way around. Here you get to see both ILBs at full game speed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5-D6D6VCR4

teegre
03-17-2019, 10:45 AM
Here’s my take on Mack Wilson:

Q: Did he play in the championship game???

Born2Steel
03-17-2019, 11:11 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Bxu4j25lXQ

I added this game tape to show where he was and what he did. Was he back in coverage most snaps, rushing up the middle, or from the outside? Where did he have the most/least success vs the national champs. Obviously Bama as a team didn't accomplish much in this game.

Born2Steel
03-17-2019, 11:21 AM
In the championship game Wilson dropped into coverage on about 90% of the plays.

BlackAndGold
03-17-2019, 05:31 PM

Blame this guy
https://media.giphy.com/media/5Yt11yMhoFwPo4DsqW/giphy.gif

Born2Steel
03-17-2019, 07:53 PM
Weaknesses listed for Mack Wilson on NFL.com
Weaknesses

Might be too mechanical in his approach at times
Limited number of instinctive shots into gaps
Needs to prove he can play with feel and make plays
Had just 7 tackles for loss over last two seasons
Still deciphering when to attack block and when to slip it
Will side-step block on second level and inadvertently widen run lane
Needs to get into climbing blockers earlier to constrict the run lane
Had issues getting off of blocks and leveraging gaps against Georgia

Weaknesses listed for Devin White by NFL.com
Weaknesses

Instincts are very average
Can be fooled by key fakes and misdirection
Coaxed out of position two different times by the same run play versus Alabama
Diagnosis can run behind
Too many false steps in initial movement
Gets caught behind climbing linemen and doesn't always fight to disengage
Not a natural knee-bender in space
Running backs consistently finish under his pads
Take-on technique needs plenty of work
Uses shoulder challenges with hands as an afterthought
Misses tackles when footwork and scrape balance get too loose
Hard flows to sideline lack leverage and patience
Relatively unchallenged as a coverage option

Weaknesses listed for Devin Bush by NFL.com
Weaknesses

Lands below size standards as inside linebacker
Average reaction time in early response
Slow to process and diagnose against misdirection
Big boys can swallow him on second level
Needs to mitigate size concerns with more downhill shots
Too many block challenges and not enough block slips
Will require better pursuit leverage and feel for angles
Runs himself out of tackle attempts by coming in too steep
Out of position when he starts guessing rather than responding
Misses out on tackles in space due to lack of length

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-17-2019, 10:43 PM
Considered his best game film by The Draft Network:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78oqxfd1Vsc

4 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5-D6D6VCR4)

They call that his best game film?? I watched it and he had 3 tackles in the game. He had I think an INT that the QB threw off balance while under pressure. A lot of plays Wilson is flat footed and doesn't read the play until the offensive players have taken a few steps. I see him getting engaged with O linemen and not getting off the block.

Here is Wilson vs Arkansas and I don't see anything in the way of effort or ability to recognize the play that makes me interested in drafting him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IulezWjBy8k&t=161s

Honestly, he was a highly recruited guy out of highschool that apparently didn't progress from his sophomore to junior year but has the raw athleticism that is enticing. He reminds me of the Artie Burns of ILB's in this years class.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IulezWjBy8k&t=161s

Born2Steel
03-17-2019, 11:07 PM
Wow! Artie Burns of ILBs? Really? I think he fits almost exactly what the Steelers need right now at ILB. He’s sideline to sideline and almost always in coverage. We don’t need a 4th run stuffer ILB. Wilson can play the run very well but he’s the best cover ILB in this year’s draft. That is what he does so no, he’s not going to have the tackle numbers of a Devin Bush. Actually Coney(ND) probably fits what we need at ILB better than Bush. I know I am very much alone here with this but I honestly see Mack Wilson as the ILB that is right for the Steelers.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-17-2019, 11:56 PM
Wow! Artie Burns of ILBs? Really? I think he fits almost exactly what the Steelers need right now at ILB. He’s sideline to sideline and almost always in coverage. We don’t need a 4th run stuffer ILB. Wilson can play the run very well but he’s the best cover ILB in this year’s draft. That is what he does so no, he’s not going to have the tackle numbers of a Devin Bush. Actually Coney(ND) probably fits what we need at ILB better than Bush. I know I am very much alone here with this but I honestly see Mack Wilson as the ILB that is right for the Steelers.

Do you think that Wilson is a fit because of what you have seen, or because of what you have read?

I ask that question, as the links you posted highlight his best game and it was one where he had 3 tackles. Honestly if a ILB makes 3 tackles in a game against Texas A&M and that is considered his best game, then I am a bit concerned with his demonstrated production.

Did you have time to look at that Arkansas game that I posted a link to? Its only 11:06 long and Wilson is spot shadowed in each play. Please have a look at that and let me know if that shows he is an impactful ILB prospect from his game play. I didn't see much that impressed me. It was a 2 tackle game, so just 1 tackle off his best game vs A&M.

As for the Artie Burns comparison. Many were all over Artie Burns as being a 1st round pick from his talent, athleticism and 5 INT season, but I was very demonstrative pre draft that Burns didn't look smooth in his field drills, his game tape showed no backpedal technique, but rather bail technique and that his INT's came off of QB's on weak teams that Burns cheated coverage to get. In short, the stats and talking heads loved Burns, but the tape didn't lie. I will look at more tape, but honestly, the Mack Wilson vs Arkansas and A&M shows a guy with athletic potential that doesn't read/recognize plays, is lazy in pursuit and is weak against the run....but he drops in coverage well and makes very few tackles.

Born2Steel
03-18-2019, 07:32 AM
Do you think that Wilson is a fit because of what you have seen, or because of what you have read?

I ask that question, as the links you posted highlight his best game and it was one where he had 3 tackles. Honestly if a ILB makes 3 tackles in a game against Texas A&M and that is considered his best game, then I am a bit concerned with his demonstrated production.

Did you have time to look at that Arkansas game that I posted a link to? Its only 11:06 long and Wilson is spot shadowed in each play. Please have a look at that and let me know if that shows he is an impactful ILB prospect from his game play. I didn't see much that impressed me. It was a 2 tackle game, so just 1 tackle off his best game vs A&M.

As for the Artie Burns comparison. Many were all over Artie Burns as being a 1st round pick from his talent, athleticism and 5 INT season, but I was very demonstrative pre draft that Burns didn't look smooth in his field drills, his game tape showed no backpedal technique, but rather bail technique and that his INT's came off of QB's on weak teams that Burns cheated coverage to get. In short, the stats and talking heads loved Burns, but the tape didn't lie. I will look at more tape, but honestly, the Mack Wilson vs Arkansas and A&M shows a guy with athletic potential that doesn't read/recognize plays, is lazy in pursuit and is weak against the run....but he drops in coverage well and makes very few tackles.

That is how Wilson is used. He drops into coverage most of the time. I don’t see a slow read guy either. He is playing a middle zone most downs. That puts him in cover whoever comes into that zone then attack the ball once it’s out of the QB’s hand. So he stays in the middle, then chase to the flat, attack the runner, help out on out passes. Depending on the qualifications a team is looking for in an ILB Wilson can be more or less of an intriguing prospect. I think the Steelers need a guy that does exactly what he brings to the table. We don’t need another VW/Bostic/Matakevich type ILB. Wilson does what Fort did here only much better. I believe Wilson is the better choice early for the Steelers.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-18-2019, 08:23 AM
That is how Wilson is used. He drops into coverage most of the time. I don’t see a slow read guy either. He is playing a middle zone most downs. That puts him in cover whoever comes into that zone then attack the ball once it’s out of the QB’s hand. So he stays in the middle, then chase to the flat, attack the runner, help out on out passes. Depending on the qualifications a team is looking for in an ILB Wilson can be more or less of an intriguing prospect. I think the Steelers need a guy that does exactly what he brings to the table. We don’t need another VW/Bostic/Matakevich type ILB. Wilson does what Fort did here only much better. I believe Wilson is the better choice early for the Steelers.

Did you look at the Arkansas tape?

There are plays there where he fails to tackle the ballcarrier on plays to the edge, plays were he loses the receiver out of the backfield due to taking wrong angles, or being late recognizing the play. There are also plays where he doesn't fill the hole in the run game, or get off the block in the run game to find the ballcarrier and make the tackle, which likely accounts for his 2 tackles the entire game. If you think that is what the Steelers need at ILB, then I respect your opinion, but mine is different.

Dwinsgames
03-18-2019, 08:32 AM
Weaknesses listed for Mack Wilson on NFL.com
Weaknesses

Might be too mechanical in his approach at times
Limited number of instinctive shots into gaps
Needs to prove he can play with feel and make plays
Had just 7 tackles for loss over last two seasons
Still deciphering when to attack block and when to slip it
Will side-step block on second level and inadvertently widen run lane
Needs to get into climbing blockers earlier to constrict the run lane
Had issues getting off of blocks and leveraging gaps against Georgia

Weaknesses listed for Devin White by NFL.com
Weaknesses

Instincts are very average
Can be fooled by key fakes and misdirection
Coaxed out of position two different times by the same run play versus Alabama
Diagnosis can run behind
Too many false steps in initial movement
Gets caught behind climbing linemen and doesn't always fight to disengage
Not a natural knee-bender in space
Running backs consistently finish under his pads
Take-on technique needs plenty of work
Uses shoulder challenges with hands as an afterthought
Misses tackles when footwork and scrape balance get too loose
Hard flows to sideline lack leverage and patience
Relatively unchallenged as a coverage option

Weaknesses listed for Devin Bush by NFL.com
Weaknesses

Lands below size standards as inside linebacker
Average reaction time in early response
Slow to process and diagnose against misdirection
Big boys can swallow him on second level
Needs to mitigate size concerns with more downhill shots
Too many block challenges and not enough block slips
Will require better pursuit leverage and feel for angles
Runs himself out of tackle attempts by coming in too steep
Out of position when he starts guessing rather than responding
Misses out on tackles in space due to lack of length

Weaknesses Lacks ideal size and bulk.
Still developing eyes and instincts --
will diagnose and trigger more quickly down the road.
Gets caught in traffic or engulfed by larger blockers when he hesitates to step downhill.
Prone to overaggressiveness --
occasionally overruns plays or loses cutback contain.
Could stand to improve his eyes, awareness, anticipation and reactions as a zone defender.
Took some time to acclimate before making an impact.

that is nfl dot com on Ryan Shazier

Born2Steel
03-18-2019, 11:55 AM
Weaknesses

Lacks ideal size and bulk.
Still developing eyes and instincts --
will diagnose and trigger more quickly down the road.
Gets caught in traffic or engulfed by larger blockers when he hesitates to step downhill.
Prone to overaggressiveness --
occasionally overruns plays or loses cutback contain.
Could stand to improve his eyes, awareness, anticipation and reactions as a zone defender.
Took some time to acclimate before making an impact.

that is nfl dot com on Ryan Shazier

I don’t know if that means you agree with these assessments or not. I definitely agree with most of the Shazier list year 1. Don’t you?

Mojouw
03-18-2019, 12:19 PM
Are there any Alabama defenders that lived up to the hype? CJ Mosley maybe? But don't most enter the draft over-rated because of how loaded that team is and then struggle to live up to the hype in the NFL? Yes, I see you over there Mark Barron.

Dwinsgames
03-18-2019, 12:46 PM
I don’t know if that means you agree with these assessments or not. I definitely agree with most of the Shazier list year 1. Don’t you?

I think some of it is a bit over the top , blown out of proportion but then again maybe they didn't watch the same games I did / you did or the next evaluator did ( why we get different perspectives ) ..

thats part of it guys making these evals do not have enough time to watch every game of every prospect , they watch 3 or 4 thats it so a small sample size ..

Remember back before we drafted Ben ( and even after the draft ) many where up in arms with worry because he has one div 1 game that he did not shine in ... ( small sample sizes ) ..

sometimes I think someone elses take gets to much credit .... watch the tape and if you come away with wow this kid can make plays then you have something to go on , something to work with ...

none of these guys are going to get 100% rave reviews its an amateur draft they are not yet pros , they are not finished products ...

Like you said about Shaziers ....

Weaknesses

Lacks ideal size and bulk. if he had ideal prototypical size/bulk we likely see here instead lacks desired speed and quickness to be a coverage backer and better suited for downhill play

Still developing eyes and instincts -- is this not every prospect ? there are not finished products in the draft and if you find one he is likely a bust

will diagnose and trigger more quickly down the road. this is not even a weakness it is a projection

Gets caught in traffic or engulfed by larger blockers when he hesitates to step downhill. this is everyone who ever played the game

Prone to over aggressiveness --tenacious players all have this happen to them and its not a negative if a linebacker is not aggressive he is going to be called tentative

occasionally overruns plays or loses cutback contain. this is the same thing as above they just felt like they needed to write more

Could stand to improve his eyes, awareness, anticipation and reactions as a zone defender. again repeating from above ( will diagnose and trigger more quickly down the road.)

Took some time to acclimate before making an impact. who hasn't ? I can not name 1 player who was dominant day 1 and stayed that way without improving

I guess my point is sometimes ( often times hell maybe most times ) these evals are just someone rambling I mean they need to say more than wow this kid can play but he needs to work on this to be even better or nobody would read them and with the internet we all know its all about the clicks

sorry not my best day maybe I am being overly critical

Born2Steel
03-18-2019, 12:46 PM
Are there any Alabama defenders that lived up to the hype? CJ Mosley maybe? But don't most enter the draft over-rated because of how loaded that team is and then struggle to live up to the hype in the NFL? Yes, I see you over there Mark Barron.

Good point. And I watched several LBs this year that show great stats because the DL helped keep them clean so they got in more tackles than what they are probably able to get on their own. But isn’t that how you build a front 7? My entire stance for Mack Wilson is based on his ability to cover man, play zone, and chase down the ball on the outside. He did that very well at Bama. If our DL can keep him clean my belief is he will do that here as well. He is a true ‘MACK’ LB, maybe the only true ‘MACK’ in this draft. We don’t really need another ‘BUCK’. That’s what my entire stance is based on. We don’t need just any ILB, we need that true ‘MACK’.

Mojouw
03-18-2019, 01:10 PM
Good point. And I watched several LBs this year that show great stats because the DL helped keep them clean so they got in more tackles than what they are probably able to get on their own. But isn’t that how you build a front 7? My entire stance for Mack Wilson is based on his ability to cover man, play zone, and chase down the ball on the outside. He did that very well at Bama. If our DL can keep him clean my belief is he will do that here as well. He is a true ‘MACK’ LB, maybe the only true ‘MACK’ in this draft. We don’t really need another ‘BUCK’. That’s what my entire stance is based on. We don’t need just any ILB, we need that true ‘MACK’.

That sounds right. What is interesting is that I can not find two evaluations of Mack Wilson that sound like they are even talking about the same player. One says he is just a Ray Lewis clone between the tackles. Another says he is slow to react and can't/won't take on blocks. His evaluations are all over the map.

Sounds like Colbert Round 1 cat-nip.

Born2Steel
03-18-2019, 01:49 PM
Lol “Cat-nip”! Colbert-nip.

st33lersguy
03-18-2019, 06:21 PM
I don't even think we know how fast he can run or his measurables. I hate to put too much stock into the combine but I think we should know a guys measurables st least before we draft a guy based primarily off his ability to cover

hawaiiansteeler
03-18-2019, 06:46 PM
I don't even think we know how fast he can run or his measurables. I hate to put too much stock into the combine but I think we should know a guys measurables st least before we draft a guy based primarily off his ability to cover

Alabama's Pro Day is tomorrow, hopefully we'll find out.

Dwinsgames
03-18-2019, 07:42 PM
Alabama's Pro Day is tomorrow, hopefully we'll find out.

4.59 pre injury ( last spring ) can he equal it ?? can he surpass it after rehabbing and training ??

we will find out soon enough

DesertSteel
03-18-2019, 08:00 PM
4.59 pre injury ( last spring ) can he equal it ?? can he surpass it after rehabbing and training ??

we will find out soon enough
I never trust those unofficial times. They are often wildly exaggerated.

Born2Steel
03-18-2019, 09:30 PM

Have completely watched the game tapes now. He is not the most physical LB in the game, true. Not sure why Draft Network called the A&M game his best. I thought the SEC Champ game vs GA was his best. Anyway, I understand any hesitance in taking Wilson at 20. He's not a 'fly to the ball' type, more of that Jabrill Peppers hybrid type MACK LB. I think he brings more than Fort or Barron but he's no Shazier. I still think he's a "better" option than Bush for the steelers need at ILB. We just don't need another BUCK.

Dwinsgames
03-18-2019, 10:09 PM
I never trust those unofficial times. They are often wildly exaggerated.

watching him go sideline to sideline , I think thats fairly accurate but I know what you mean .... 6'1" 210 often means 5-11 190

teegre
03-18-2019, 10:12 PM
Ever since I had kids, I’ve used the “Blink (http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/winning-championships-franchise-quarterback-vs-loaded-defense/)” approach to player evals.

So... while watching the NCAA championship game, even though I specifically focused on the LBs, I never noticed Mack Wilson.

hawaiiansteeler
03-18-2019, 11:12 PM
Ever since I had kids, I’ve used the “Blink (http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/winning-championships-franchise-quarterback-vs-loaded-defense/)” approach to player evals.

So... while watching the NCAA championship game, even though I specifically focused on the LBs, I never noticed Mack Wilson.

you missed all 3 of his tackles in that game?

Born2Steel
03-19-2019, 07:44 AM

As valid a method as that is in player evals my take on the national championship game is that Clemson destroyed Alabama deep early. Once Bama had to play catch up the Clemson defense just shut it down. That said, Wilson is not the most physical LB I have seen. I understand everyone’s hesitence on him at 20. I get that I honestly do. BUT, what are the choices at ILB for the Steelers? He may not be the guy at 20, but will he be there at 52? Who is the next MACK ILB in this draft? If it ends up a choice of White or Wilson at 20 go with White, but the next guy after Wilson is maybe Coney(ND) or Burr-Kirven(Wash)? Did not think it was possible but the ILB position got even worse this offseason, IMO. Is Mack Wilson a reach at 20 if there? Yes! I believe he is. But again, IF we are drafting an ILB in this draft, Mack Wilson is as good as it’s going to get for the type player we need.

I’ll do a thread on Coney and see if he is more worthy of a pick in the 2nd if he’s there at 52. I get a feeling that round 2 is going to see a run on DBs and ILBs before. But we’ll see.

SteelMember
03-19-2019, 10:01 AM
As valid a method as that is in player evals my take on the national championship game is that Clemson destroyed Alabama deep early. Once Bama had to play catch up the Clemson defense just shut it down. That said, Wilson is not the most physical LB I have seen. I understand everyone’s hesitence on him at 20. I get that I honestly do. BUT, what are the choices at ILB for the Steelers? He may not be the guy at 20, but will he be there at 52? Who is the next MACK ILB in this draft? If it ends up a choice of White or Wilson at 20 go with White, but the next guy after Wilson is maybe Coney(ND) or Burr-Kirven(Wash)? Did not think it was possible but the ILB position got even worse this offseason, IMO. Is Mack Wilson a reach at 20 if there? Yes! I believe he is. But again, IF we are drafting an ILB in this draft, Mack Wilson is as good as it’s going to get for the type player we need.

I’ll do a thread on Coney and see if he is more worthy of a pick in the 2nd if he’s there at 52. I get a feeling that round 2 is going to see a run on DBs and ILBs before. But we’ll see.

I would say if they miss on both Devins in the 1st, Mack in the 2nd, the next probable guy would be Germaine Pratt as the early 3rd round pick.

steelreserve
03-19-2019, 10:36 AM
Did you look at the Arkansas tape?

There are plays there where he fails to tackle the ballcarrier on plays to the edge, plays were he loses the receiver out of the backfield due to taking wrong angles, or being late recognizing the play. There are also plays where he doesn't fill the hole in the run game, or get off the block in the run game to find the ballcarrier and make the tackle, which likely accounts for his 2 tackles the entire game. If you think that is what the Steelers need at ILB, then I respect your opinion, but mine is different.

Well, from that description, it sure sounds like he's our guy!

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-19-2019, 10:37 AM
Have completely watched the game tapes now. He is not the most physical LB in the game, true. Not sure why Draft Network called the A&M game his best. I thought the SEC Champ game vs GA was his best. Anyway, I understand any hesitance in taking Wilson at 20. He's not a 'fly to the ball' type, more of that Jabrill Peppers hybrid type MACK LB. I think he brings more than Fort or Barron but he's no Shazier. I still think he's a "better" option than Bush for the steelers need at ILB. We just don't need another BUCK.

I watched the SEC game that you mentioned and he doesn't look like he wants to engage in the run game. IMO, Wilson looks like a dime LB, rather than a complete ILB. He isn't an effective blitzer, nor does he seem interested in pursuing in the run game. Maybe there is something in his mental makeup that he isn't a guy that likes to give full effort, but its frightening to me to see an ILB that plays with so little interest.

Watch Wilson on the drive at the 12:00 mark of the video. He gets engaged with blocker and doesn't even try to get off the block to get to the RB Swift. Then the next play he dances in the wrong gap and fails to get involved in tacking the RB. The following play he takes on the block of the guard and then is 3rd man in on the tackle, while the following play the WR blocks him in the slot and he shows no interest in getting of the block as the RB is running the lane right next to him.

At around the 16:00 mark the 3 plays in a row he 1. shows little interest in attacking the RB in a run play, then play 2 he gets blown up on a run blitz, then play 3 he loses the RB in coverage out of the backfield and then looks silly in the missed tackle.

He honestly looks like an ILB that doesn't want to tackle in the run game, but just play coverage. Basically he plays the game of a situational coverage dime LB. By his game play I would say that Mike Hilton would have more interest in run support than Mack Wilson shows and that is absolutely scary to me if the Steelers were to think of selecting him.

Born2Steel
03-19-2019, 11:13 AM
I watched the SEC game that you mentioned and he doesn't look like he wants to engage in the run game. IMO, Wilson looks like a dime LB, rather than a complete ILB. He isn't an effective blitzer, nor does he seem interested in pursuing in the run game. Maybe there is something in his mental makeup that he isn't a guy that likes to give full effort, but its frightening to me to see an ILB that plays with so little interest.

Watch Wilson on the drive at the 12:00 mark of the video. He gets engaged with blocker and doesn't even try to get off the block to get to the RB Swift. Then the next play he dances in the wrong gap and fails to get involved in tacking the RB. The following play he takes on the block of the guard and then is 3rd man in on the tackle, while the following play the WR blocks him in the slot and he shows no interest in getting of the block as the RB is running the lane right next to him.

At around the 16:00 mark the 3 plays in a row he 1. shows little interest in attacking the RB in a run play, then play 2 he gets blown up on a run blitz, then play 3 he loses the RB in coverage out of the backfield and then looks silly in the missed tackle.

He honestly looks like an ILB that doesn't want to tackle in the run game, but just play coverage. Basically he plays the game of a situational coverage dime LB. By his game play I would say that Mike Hilton would have more interest in run support than Mack Wilson shows and that is absolutely scary to me if the Steelers were to think of selecting him.

I see exactly that as well. Some plays he literally flies in to make a tackle. Other plays it almost seems he is afraid of the contact. Maybe the dimebacker role is where he ends up. Right now that is the Burnett/Barron role.

I mis-posted earlier. I mentioned ND’s Coney as a MACK I would make a new thread on for dissection. Coney is not who I was thinking of obviously.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-19-2019, 11:40 AM
I see exactly that as well. Some plays he literally flies in to make a tackle. Other plays it almost seems he is afraid of the contact. Maybe the dimebacker role is where he ends up. Right now that is the Burnett/Barron role.

I mis-posted earlier. I mentioned ND’s Coney as a MACK I would make a new thread on for dissection. Coney is not who I was thinking of obviously.

Agreed. That is why the Arkansas tape to me is frightening as he looks dis-interested in playing. The interview process of the draft might reveal some of that but I think he is a guy that teases with his talent, but doesn't have the "want to" in order to be productive in the NFL. Again, similar to a certain Steeler CB selected in the 1st round.

Steelers need somebody with the speed to run sideline to sideline and also drop in coverage and lets not forget there are some more nimble QB's in the AFC North now, so should have that speed. White, Bush, Wilson will go in the first 2 rounds I am pretty sure. The next couple guys I think that are athletes at ILB are Pratt and Hanks. Will be interesting to see where they land(I'm thinking 3rd to 5th rounds)

Born2Steel
03-19-2019, 11:49 AM
Agreed. That is why the Arkansas tape to me is frightening as he looks dis-interested in playing. The interview process of the draft might reveal some of that but I think he is a guy that teases with his talent, but doesn't have the "want to" in order to be productive in the NFL. Again, similar to a certain Steeler CB selected in the 1st round.

Steelers need somebody with the speed to run sideline to sideline and also drop in coverage and lets not forget there are some more nimble QB's in the AFC North now, so should have that speed. White, Bush, Wilson will go in the first 2 rounds I am pretty sure. The next couple guys I think that are athletes at ILB are Pratt and Hanks. Will be interesting to see where they land(I'm thinking 3rd to 5th rounds)

I read in one of the other threads(post draft ILBs I think) Pratt is very active on social media with ‘money’ posts. Interviews will be extra important with him, IMO. Hanks and Kirven are 2 I would like to dissect and discuss here too. Maybe a Khalil Hodge one too if there’s game tape to watch.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-19-2019, 12:10 PM
I read in one of the other threads(post draft ILBs I think) Pratt is very active on social media with ‘money’ posts. Interviews will be extra important with him, IMO. Hanks and Kirven are 2 I would like to dissect and discuss here too. Maybe a Khalil Hodge one too if there’s game tape to watch.

Yeah, if Pratt is all about the $ and less about the work, definitely something to watch. But, I do like his game and think he is making himself $$ in the postseason all star games and such.

Burr-Kirven was a 7th round pick or FA in September. He wasn't invited to the Senior Bowl and thought of as a 4th-5th round pick. He looks like an undersized, all heart and all hustle guy. Doesn't look to take on blocks well inside or take great angles, so apparently not a lot of TFL's. I think he is a Patrick Bailey type special teamer and backup LB.

Hodge, I watched some tape and have the East-west Shrine game recorded. I would not spend a draft pick on Hodge. I think he is a FA and apparently by not getting a combine invite. Hodge stats at Buffalo pro day were 6'1-3/8", 234LBS, 4.95 and 5.00 40-yd dash and 29" vertical. I said that the tape of Hodge reminded me of a slower version of former Steeler ILB Earl Holmes, from Florida A&M. Holmes ran a 4.85 at the combine, so Hodge IMO isn't worth the time as they don't need a guy with less athleticism than Matakevich on the squad.

Born2Steel
03-19-2019, 12:46 PM
Yeah, if Pratt is all about the $ and less about the work, definitely something to watch. But, I do like his game and think he is making himself $$ in the postseason all star games and such.

Burr-Kirven was a 7th round pick or FA in September. He wasn't invited to the Senior Bowl and thought of as a 4th-5th round pick. He looks like an undersized, all heart and all hustle guy. Doesn't look to take on blocks well inside or take great angles, so apparently not a lot of TFL's. I think he is a Patrick Bailey type special teamer and backup LB.

Hodge, I watched some tape and have the East-west Shrine game recorded. I would not spend a draft pick on Hodge. I think he is a FA and apparently by not getting a combine invite. Hodge stats at Buffalo pro day were 6'1-3/8", 234LBS, 4.95 and 5.00 40-yd dash and 29" vertical. I said that the tape of Hodge reminded me of a slower version of former Steeler ILB Earl Holmes, from Florida A&M. Holmes ran a 4.85 at the combine, so Hodge IMO isn't worth the time as they don't need a guy with less athleticism than Matakevich on the squad.

I read an analysis on Burr-Kirven that talked about how he was kept clean by Washington’s DL and was therefore more productive. I would still like to see some game film of him diagnosing plays at the snap and his movement to the ball. I think the Steelers DL and OLBs do enough to keep a MACK clean to make plays also. But not if he’s slow to diagnose or too slow of foot. Steelers will select an ILB this draft. If not at 20, then one of these mid round guys is the pick.
I understand Hanks is a guy to watch some games on as well. Harder to find him though.

DesertSteel
03-19-2019, 01:11 PM
If Wilson drops to the 2nd round and is available when the Steelers pick, I'm in. But at 1/20, I'm out.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-19-2019, 01:15 PM
I read an analysis on Burr-Kirven that talked about how he was kept clean by Washington’s DL and was therefore more productive. I would still like to see some game film of him diagnosing plays at the snap and his movement to the ball. I think the Steelers DL and OLBs do enough to keep a MACK clean to make plays also. But not if he’s slow to diagnose or too slow of foot. Steelers will select an ILB this draft. If not at 20, then one of these mid round guys is the pick.
I understand Hanks is a guy to watch some games on as well. Harder to find him though.

Hanks doesn't have a big body of work, as I think he only converted to LB this year. He had a good week at Senior Bowl apparently, so maybe NFL coaches in more NFL scheme helped evaluate that week. I think he ends up round 4-5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0-kmH6p1zY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIsR0qlJkxk

- - - Updated - - -

If Wilson drops to the 2nd round and is available when the Steelers pick, I'm in. But at 1/20, I'm out.

I agree. Its kind of a Mike Adams pick in round 2....if he plays up to his talent, then you get a steal. But if he only plays coverage and not the run game well, then you didn't waste a 1 on him when you could get a real good player.

DesertSteel
03-19-2019, 01:51 PM
I agree. Its kind of a Mike Adams pick in round 2....if he plays up to his talent, then you get a steal. But if he only plays coverage and not the run game well, then you didn't waste a 1 on him when you could get a real good player.
First Mike Adams reference in a looooooooong time!

hawaiiansteeler
03-19-2019, 02:14 PM
Wilson ran a 4.65 at his Pro Day today.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-19-2019, 02:19 PM
2 tackles vs ASU .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28HkDQ8b6f8
2018 highlight video. D line keeps him clean and he is mostly waiting for the RB and not attacking the LOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeSpUELuuwc

- - - Updated - - -

Wilson ran a 4.65 at his Pro Day today.

Not what I expected. I still personally like Germaine Pratt over Wilson. Pratt looks for work, while Wilson looks to avoid work on the field, IMO.

hawaiiansteeler
03-19-2019, 02:41 PM
Not what I expected. I still personally like Germaine Pratt over Wilson. Pratt looks for work, while Wilson looks to avoid work on the field, IMO.

I like Pratt also, but he plays a little too high and seems raw and a bit of a project to me.

st33lersguy
03-19-2019, 09:48 PM
I dont see a guy worth taking in the first, or a guy who ends up a difference maker. Not even sure I take him at 52. Keep in mine this team is poorly coached especially defensively as well